Thread: Ahead of Summer, what is your opinion about storing MOC Classics in Attic ?

Ahead of Summer, what is your opinion about storing MOC Classics in Attic ?

Hello guys!

I live in NC, and was thinking about the next summer coming. I collect Vintage, NA, 200x and Classics. Part of my collection (specially Loose figures) is being displayed in glass shelves in my office, which is already out of space.

My house does not have garage and no rooms available in the closets. So, the only available space I have to keep the other part of my collection (almost all of them MOC) is in the Attic inside of taped cardboard boxes. (Hope in the near future moving to a bigger house with Garage and/or some entertainment room where I can fully display them)

I was checking this thread * Here * and some collectors are in the same boat with the "out of space" situation. Specially with MOC of this line and new waves coming.

I can work out rotating my figures time to time in the already limited space in my office where I'm displaying my loose figures, so to me keeping almost half of my collection in boxes out of displaying is OK. The real issue to me (as some pointed out on that thread) is space.

My question is: what are your thoughts about attic temperature impact on MOC figures? I mean, I put in the attic MOC figures only (and inside cardboard taped boxes), but I guess this will still allow high temperatures to get to the figure and/or bubble. (My attic is literally an OVEN in summers )

Do covered/stackable plastic containers do the trick? Any kind of insulation inside/outside of those containers would help?

Not sure if I'm exaggerating or if this could be a real/valid issue, but I want to avoid ruining my collectibles.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by modulok02; April 4, 2019 at 09:56pm.

The heat could be a problem. I have a large collection of figures, especially 12" Sideshow and Hot toys figures. They were talking over the house, but didn't want to put them in the damp basement. I ended up buying large zip seal bags and silica gel packs to put each one in.

If you could install a vent fan in a window to reduce the heat, that could make your attic more hospitable to your figures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Court Magician
    Plastic figures can warp from being in a hot car. I wouldn't store them in an attic.

Heroic Warrior
    The bubbles can yellow over time too. That happened to me when I stored some figures in a similiar enviroment.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

I'm in NC. You can bring them to me. I promise my 5 year old and I will keep them safe and not open and play with them all.

Seriously, though, you might want to consider renting a climate controlled storage unit for a few months. It might honestly be cheaper than replacing one or two expensive figures.
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I'm in NC. You can bring them to me. I promise my 5 year old and I will keep them safe and not open and play with them all.

Thanks for the replies guys, and yes, that's what I was thinking too. Heat is problem for some attics. Even if the figures stay fine, the bubble for sure will become yellowish or brittle easy to crack.

I guess is time to re-organize the entire house (things that MOTU makes us the fans to do! ) so, I can see what stuff I can relocate from closets to attic, or even under the bed, to release some space inside the house.

I used to rent a climate controlled storage unit years ago, maybe that's an option too, but I would like to have them handy, since I want to keep rotating those displayed time to time, without too much hassle.

Another option to be considered is hiring a contractor to install a Fan/extractor in the Attic as manowar suggested.

Nevertheless, I guess I have to fix this before June, because the Attic Oven will be turned on by that month, and I don't want to find a custom Sagitar among my Classics (melted Jitsu with Night Stalker)

I live in Texas, and while I did have some old toys and such stored in an attic at one point without issue, I would not tempt fate again, and certainly not with a collection I love so much as my MOTUC.

I'm lucky enough to have a Toy Room in the house.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Ditto. I couldn't imagine not having a separate room (or rooms) in my house for my collection. I don't think I could ever bring myself to put any of my collection in the basement, attic, or garage. That's why when my family and I moved into our current house, I had to make sure it had enough rooms. Luckily for me, we found a great place with 7 bedrooms. 1 for each of the kids (5 in all), 1 for my wife and me, and 1 for my den. As the years went by and the kids moved out, my collection got larger because I had the room to continuously expand. Now it's just me, my wife and our youngest. Now we have 2 actual bedrooms, they have their own hobby rooms and I have 3. I have more glass shelving in my rooms than there are windows in my house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Ditto. I couldn't imagine not having a separate room (or rooms) in my house for my collection. I don't think I could ever bring myself to put any of my collection in the basement, attic, or garage. That's why when my family and I moved into our current house, I had to make sure it had enough rooms. Luckily for me, we found a great place with 7 bedrooms. 1 for each of the kids (5 in all), 1 for my wife and me, and 1 for my den. As the years went by and the kids moved out, my collection got larger because I had the room to continuously expand. Now it's just me, my wife and our youngest. Now we have 2 actual bedrooms, they have their own hobby rooms and I have 3. I have more glass shelving in my rooms than there are windows in my house.

My collection is in plastic tubs in my loft (attic), but I live in London so it’s very rarely hot up there and they are doing fine.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Before you put them in the attic, why don't you put them in the basement? I store my collection in big plastic boxes which are close to air tight.

IMO unless you already have stuff in a storage unit that you simply don't have the space for and the figures would simply be an "add in" don't do it.

As someone who has rented units before they are a HUGE money sink. Now depending on the size you get and the location in which they're located, the rates can vary quite a bit, but still you're just blowing money.

One BIG mistake that people often make is that they leave items in the units MUCH longer then they ever anticipated because it's such a pain to get all that stuff out again and usually there's no "new" place to put it.

Once that happens, you've now exceeded in rent the value of what the crap in the unit is even worth. It's an all too common mistake in which most renters make.

IMO and from talking to the guys that run one of them in which I used to rent from the ONLY time in which you should rent one of those things is when you're really in a bind and a SHORT term bind at that.

Let's say you're moving in or out of a place and just need a place to temporarily hold stuff. Or, you're having some sort of renovation done in the house and need to clear up space so that things don't get damaged or so that people can work.

Things along those lines. A few months max if possible. If you're looking at it for a long term perspective because you simply don't have the room you may want to re-think what is and isn't worth keeping. Like I said, when you're paying a $100-300 a month it adds up quick and the next thing you know, you're paying more in rent then it's even worth.

Also,...one more thing to remember. Don't get suckered in to those low gimmicky rates that they like to throw out at you too. On average, once the six month period hits and they figured you're nice and cozy and don't want to leave, they're gonna start jacking those rates up too and it doesn't stop. Another tactic that they use, but of course works because they figure that they've gotcha with no place to put that stuff and don't wanna go through the effort of moving it.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; April 20, 2019 at 02:49pm.

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Before you put them in the attic, why don't you put them in the basement?

I don't have basement. No garage either. I just purchased this townhouse last year, so, I'm not moving out in the near future yet.

I remember having watched an episode of "The toys that made us" on Netflix a while ago, one guy who owned literally a WAREHOUSE of Star Wars collection. I don't see myself having something like that, but with a lottery jackpot, maybe.

Finally, an update about my situation: Yes, it took me 2 days to re-order everything, and I moved ALL my MOTUC collection from attic (I didn't know I had some NA vintage on card too in the attic). So, after some moves in my office closets, I could put in safe place that part of my collection, some in shelves and in a couple of closets, without destroying aesthetics (wife would ask me divorce), and without converting my entire house into a living size Grayskull. I guess I'm safe (for now)

If I get motivated to get Snake Mountain, I guess I would have to put my house on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

This is just a sample pic of the top of one of the closets, after the re-arranging. Safe and sound.

20190420_175758.jpg

He-man is happy now!

20190420_180002.jpg

I’m so glad you decided To remove everything from the attic. I just thought it was a big NO when you first asked the question
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

and here we are Ladies and Gentlemen :
    85 F Outside, 76 F indoor my house, and 104F in the Attic.

And were are just starting May. Can't imagine July.

("Outdoor" in the digital display reflects the wireless thermometer I placed in Attic)

tm.jpeg

Fortunately, all my Classics are out of that Hell now.

my thoughts?? please if you love your collection, don't do it.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Yikes! The attic doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Attics temperatures tend to fluctuate too much between hot, cold and even being damp causing bad things to happen to the figures...especially if they're MOC. I would really think against it. If you absolutely had to, I'd make sure they were well protected in plastic bags.

Do you live alone, If so I'd recommend displaying things everywhere-all rooms-all walls, to keep them from being stored in an attic. If you have a wife/So to deal with that could be an issue.
    Hope you get a toy room someday :-)
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I just posted that update to show the temperature in my attic now in May. But I had taken action already back in the middle of April, and relocated all those MOC figures to a couple of closets in the house. So now they are safe. Attic stays as storage but for Christmas tree and a few other stuff of not significant value.

In that Attic, Icer wouldn't have lived to tell the tale

icer.JPG

Good move, mod...good move.