Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 157 Discussion

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 157 Discussion

Episode 157 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Rob Base, and Daniel Benedict are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    fans who can't make it to Power-Con,
    Filmation Club Grayskull MOTU aesthetics,
    wave 3 of Club Grayskull from Super7,
    Ultimate Edition CG He-Man & Skeletor from Super7,
    Masters Mondays bios,
    Dark Horse He-Man and She-Ra Character Guide and Compendium,
    future of Dark Horse MOTU books,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on April 11, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 06 minutes, 45 seconds

Direct link for Episode 157

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I have to say, I disagree about where the detail was sorely missed in Classics. The Trollans and Madam Razz should have had faces sculpted and then accessories put over and appropriately painted instead of having a ball with a scarf or cartoon eyes in a hat...as well as details really needed in Webstor and Buzz off.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

I’ll be listening tonight, looking forward to it!

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Great episode! Laughed my ass off at certain points.

P.S. I sent in a voice message on Skype.
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Contact me per PM or my razzerian@gmail.com

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

OK, Danielle has officially bullied me into buying the book .

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    Yeah, I think next paycheck I might go in on that. It sounds really cool!

Quote Originally Posted by LordMo View Post

LOL! I was just checking it out on Kindle earlier.
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

Think part of the uproar over CG Tri-Clops was that the pre order window was the darker colour and then upon release it was the brighter green. So not only the colour guide vs what we saw on tv but the fact one colour was solicited then so drastically changed.

I also will be checking out the other books, I have the mini comic one

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Think part of the uproar over CG Tri-Clops was that the pre order window was the darker colour and then upon release it was the brighter green. So not only the colour guide vs what we saw on tv but the fact one colour was solicited then so drastically changed.
    That's true, so good point.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

I would prefer that the Club Grayskull figures would have all just been Filmation variants within Classics with the more detail that you see in Classics, similar to what they have done with the mini comics. I do like The Club Grayskull Skeletor and Mer Man, they hit those out of the park.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Ro Eats Soup View Post
    I do like The Club Grayskull Skeletor and Mer Man, they hit those out of the park.

Filmation Skeletor is my favourite Classics figure, I absolutely adore that headsculpt. In fact, seeing it back in 2013 is what got me interested in the line in the first place, eventhough I only started collecting it late last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    Filmation Skeletor is my favourite Classics figure, I absolutely adore that headsculpt. In fact, seeing it back in 2013 is what got me interested in the line in the first place, eventhough I only started collecting it late last year.
    Wow, you must be psychic, because the original Matty version of the Filmation Club Grayskull line wasn't revealed until 2015 and released the following year .

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    In this episode they discuss
    fans who can't make it to Power-Con,
    I heard my name...
    Also I have a medical condition brokeashellinitus so can’t attend.

You guys DEFINITELY should get the book!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I heard my name...
    Also I have a medical condition brokeashellinitus so can’t attend.

You guys DEFINITELY should get the book!
    You can mail yourself

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Just listened to the whole thing. Very random thoughts:

- I will buy any and every book Dark Horse puts out. Any publication that pulls together a complete collection pertaining to MOTU is an instant buy and an instant read for me. (Complete MOTU magazine collection? Complete MOTU Marvel comics collection? A book that collects all the MOTU puffy stickers? I'm in on day one.) I hope they keep coming, and the ones produced so far are amazing. So much work and love were put into those books. Kudos to everyone involved.
    - I'm of the opinion that MOTU fans that don't own every Dark Horse MOTU book aren't true MOTU fans.
    - People who voted "no" to MOTU novels should hang their head in shame. Go to Orko's room and rethink your life.
    - I think I'm going to start a Danielle fan club.
    - Val has a great radio voice.

/randomthoughts
    Last edited by Wakko; April 16, 2019 at 03:29pm.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I'm new to the podcast and I've been enjoying it. Bought the character guide today since I had completely forgotten about it being on my wishlist. I'm looking forward to brushing up on all the varied canons. Thanks for the reminder!

Monsieur, with these Roast Gooble Dinner you are really spoiling us.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    This episode should be titled: RGD Podcasters Give the Most Polite Diss of Club Grayskull Ever! You guys are too nice. Without rehashing everything, I feel the same way. Masters of the Universe Classics figures just wow me, but the Filmation/Club Grayskull seem lesser than. I have friends who love the cartoon line. It's just a difference in taste. But I'll always make the case for the Classicizer machine. Kittrina is a great example of that. The release is cartoon accurate, but kinda dull and would have been so cool if she looked more like a counterpart to Chief Carnivus and ThunderCats Classic.

On the Dark Horse books, those are all amazing. I own all of them. I'll say the Comic Strips are my favorite as it's such a lost gem. But every release has been fantastic! Can't wait to see what could be next. Maybe the U.K. comic series?

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    This episode should be titled: RGD Podcasters Give the Most Polite Diss of Club Grayskull Ever! You guys are too nice.

Still, I don't think any of us meant it that way. It's more about what you said: comparing that against Collector's Choice. If the line had started out with the Filmation look, I think it would be a completely different story.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    LOL! I was just checking it out on Kindle earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palidor View Post
    I'm new to the podcast and I've been enjoying it. Bought the character guide today since I had completely forgotten about it being on my wishlist. I'm looking forward to brushing up on all the varied canons. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko
    Aw shucks. But maybe it should be a fang club instead.

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Aw shucks. But maybe it should be a fang club instead.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/f3cxkYuLgFge4/giphy.gif

I still contend this mystery Dark Horse Book (at least one of them) is a MOTU Toy Guide! Can't imagine any other reason why Dan and Val were traveling around taking high quality pictures of MOTU toys a while back, and no amount of Val trying to throw off my scent is going to convince me otherwise!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post

Still, I don't think any of us meant it that way. It's more about what you said: comparing that against Collector's Choice. If the line had started out with the Filmation look, I think it would be a completely different story.
    Maybe on being a different story. But if MOTUC He-Man was released after Filmation/Club Grayskull, I think more would prefer those from the Classiciser machine once they saw them. For example, I collected 200x back in the day as it was the first new Masters of the Universe line based on the original characters. I liked them, but once MOTUC came around, I sold them. They felt like less than versions to me. I think I'd have done the same if the cartoon figures came out first. The cartoon was great and all, but Classics takes me back to the original toy. I didn't own a Clawful or Tung Lashor that looked like the cartoon versions. They look like totally different characters.

Also, when you unleash the Four Horsemen to sculpt something with detail, man, do they hit a homerun. Mythic Legions is such a cool looking line. And I feel that way about Classics. Just pieces of art. A wow factor the cartoon cannot compete with.

The cartoon He-Man look is iconic, but a detailed Earl Norem or William George He-Man is cool, amazing, and epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shecky View Post
    Wow, you must be psychic, because the original Matty version of the Filmation Club Grayskull line wasn't revealed until 2015 and released the following year .
    Really? Huh, well it must’ve been 2016 then! Although I was aware of the line long before. But it doesn’t change the fact that the Filmation Skeletor is what pushed me over the edge, I knew I had to have that figure as soon as I saw him!

P.S. psychic I am not, unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    - People who voted "no" to MOTU novels should hang their head in shame. Go to Orko's room and rethink your life.
    First time reading this I thought you were headed in a far darker direction

But I 100% agree. I’m a huge fan of novels especially in audiobook form. It’s such an enrichment to the lore and a good audiobook with a versatile voice actor - or even better - a dramatized audiobook with a full cast, rival most other forms of storytelling.

If you’re a fan of the Alien franchise, I emplore you to check out one of their Audible originals with full voice cast. These books are better than most films. Then imagine MOTU getting that treatment. It’d be amazing.

To each his own, but I was also surprised there were that many people 'against' MOTU novels. People don't seem to mind dropping thousands of dollars on plastic toys, but they don't care for books about those characters?

Cool idea!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; April 19, 2019 at 10:51pm.
    Odd Man Out

Yeah, people saying "no" to novels was head-scratching.
    BUT, at the end of the day, I appreciate people being honest about it. It's never good to just say "yes" to a product if you have no plans to buy it. That would be bad for the brand if the product was released based on false interest, and then it failed.