Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 158 Discussion

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 158 Discussion

Episode 158 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Nate Baertsch, and Rob Base are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    Plastic Crack documentary,
    NateBaertschArt at Instagram,
    Roasted Masters panel at Power-Con,
    The Toys That Made Us,
    Shaving cream,
    Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe,
    Toy Masters,
    rewriting what He-Man and She-Ra is,
    TMNT and Batman,
    MOTU at its core,
    He-Man statue at Mattel's headquarters,
    Playtime Masters documentary,
    Finding Frank Langella,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on April 18, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 00 minutes, 55 seconds

Direct link for Episode 158

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    This was alot of fun!!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Heroic Warrior
    Would I get a guest spot on the show if I call and leave a message of me breathing heavily and hang up?

Justice curry just got into toys and all a sudden is more popular than dudes that been doing this for years. He got that police man money, so he's able to do bigger things than a average dude.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Would I get a guest spot on the show if I call and leave a message of me breathing heavily and hang up?
    Probably not

Justice curry just got into toys and all a sudden is more popular than dudes that been doing this for years. He got that police man money, so he's able to do bigger things than a average dude.
    LOL! If you know anything about police officers, you know they don't make a lot of money.
    Justice is a charismatic, friendly guy who is passionate about what he does and he's also dedicated to doing it, so he's built a following as a result. Like he says in the documentary, it's flipping toys that allowed him to have the extra cash to buy his collection.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Probably not

LOL! If you know anything about police officers, you know they don't make a lot of money.
    Justice is a charismatic, friendly guy who is passionate about what he does and he's also dedicated to doing it, so he's built a following as a result. Like he says in the documentary, it's flipping toys that allowed him to have the extra cash to buy his collection.
    Oh I know all about the police and pay lol. Not sure what it's like in canada but I'm sure it's grand. Everything is Canada is great. If your local police don't make money, in which I'm sure they do being some hard cities out west. Here in a small town they make 100 grand. They start out small then get a boost. Not small but smaller in consideration. Why do you think police officers start side businesses that they have no business being in, like landscaping? They have a capital to start such business and already have a paycheck to rely on.
    I was only messing anyway but being truthful. As for no guest spot, then whatever. I'm leaving a message anyway of me breathing heavy. Ha. Great episode.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Oh I know all about the police and pay lol. Not sure what it's like in canada but I'm sure it's grand. Everything is Canada is great. If your local police don't make money, in which I'm sure they do being some hard cities out west. Here in a small town they make 100 grand. They start out small then get a boost.
    Where Justice lives in the US, the average officer pay is 53K a year. AND the man has a family, a house payment, etc. So, not sure why you think he's swimming in money, because he definitely isn't. Justice buys and sells toys. That's how he pays for his collection. I've known about it for a long time, and to repeat what I said above, he even talked about it in the documentary.

I'm not sure why it matters how much he makes, or why he's popular. Ultimately, it's good that he and other fans are drawing attention in a positive way to our hobby.

Great so far. Loving the regular release schedule now. I do a lot of driving one day a week and this is great to have on the commute!

Also thanks for the mention Danielle!

Intrigued to find out what will make this such a big year for the brand (as hinted on the show). I’m guessing we will find out around sdcc and powercon.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    After listening to this episode, I agree with Danielle on wanting He-Man and She-Ra to be recognizable.

Call me an old-timer, but I don't want Masters of the Universe to be unrecognizable. In my opinion, just create a new property instead if you want to change things. Let that property be relevant to the time, as Masters of the Universe was in the 1980's. It's ok for He-Man and She-Ra to die with us. Everything has a place and time. Betty Boop belongs in the 1930's. Johnny Bravo belongs in the 1990's. Jerry Springer belongs in the 1990's. Disco belongs in the 1970's.

I know I'm in the minority, but I am fine with Masters of the Universe ending with us. I love Masters of the Universe Classics and other nostalgia merchandise because it does feel like it belongs. If a new generation likes it too, so be it. And that's awesome. Let them like it as it was meant to be. But if they want something different, they deserve to have their own new properties.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    After listening to this episode, I agree with Danielle on wanting He-Man and She-Ra to be recognizable.

Call me an old-timer, but I don't want Masters of the Universe to be unrecognizable. In my opinion, just create a new property instead if you want to change things. Let that property be relevant to the time, as Masters of the Universe was in the 1980's. It's ok for He-Man and She-Ra to die with us. Everything has a place and time. Betty Boop belongs in the 1930's. Johnny Bravo belongs in the 1990's. Jerry Springer belongs in the 1990's. Disco belongs in the 1970's.

I know I'm in the minority, but I am fine with Masters of the Universe ending with us. I love Masters of the Universe Classics and other nostalgia merchandise because it does feel like it belongs. If a new generation likes it too, so be it. And that's awesome. Let them like it as it was meant to be. But if they want something different, they deserve to have their own new properties.
    A good property doesn't need to die with us . Betty boop can live on as well as MOTU it has and will continue. It may not be yours but it belongs to a collective, a hive of unique ideas.

www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    A good property doesn't need to die with us . Betty boop can live on as well as MOTU it has and will continue. It may not be yours but it belongs to a collective, a hive of unique ideas.

What's the importance of having characters named He-Man, She-Ra, Skeletor, etc... if they're vastly different from their original era and intent?

I believe you're big into professional wrestling, right? I miss seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, etc... wrestle, but I've always felt whenever they make a Raw or SmackDown cameo nowadays it just feels out of place. You can't fully recapture that old magic. The newness of it all is gone. To me, there's something creatively exciting when something is new and untold. That's why I love NXT, it's always fresh and ongoing. Yes, it's still professional wrestling, but you've got new players. Just like fantasy, the stories of He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, etc... have mostly been told. But there are new fantasy characters and stories to be made with limitless possibilities.

New generations deserve new things. That's just how I feel.

Now I'll gladly piggyback on a new Masters of the Universe movie to get some retro stuff, but I don't have much hope for the film itself. Or any future cartoons/reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    What's the importance of having characters named He-Man, She-Ra, Skeletor, etc... if they're vastly different from their original era and intent?

I believe you're big into professional wrestling, right? I miss seeing Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, etc... wrestle, but I've always felt whenever they make a Raw or SmackDown cameo nowadays it just feels out of place. You can't fully recapture that old magic. The newness of it all is gone. To me, there's something creatively exciting when something is new and untold. That's why I love NXT, it's always fresh and ongoing. Yes, it's still professional wrestling, but you've got new players. Just like fantasy, the stories of He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, etc... have mostly been told. But there are new fantasy characters and stories to be made with limitless possibilities.

New generations deserve new things. That's just how I feel.

Now I'll gladly piggyback on a new Masters of the Universe movie to get some retro stuff, but I don't have much hope for the film itself. Or any future cartoons/reboots.
    Wrestling is the property and each wrestler is in itself a unique character but even as popular as "hogan" was he isn't WWE holy on his own. He-man is a fictional character and is a property all it's own give me something different but can entertain all of us differently.

www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    I also agree with Danielle, this "Spirit" of the property is just an excuse. The reason why classics works is because it incorporates the best aspects of He-man and She-ra.

Noelle Stevenson (Showrunner of the new She-ra) answered a question in NYCC saying what is the point of doing a new She-ra if we don't change it.

Create something new but the problem is no one wants to invest in new things. I understand the reason to update characters and there is a way to do that without destroying what came before.

I'll ask everyone this question, what has the "Classic" She-ra fan gained with this new show?

Thank you