Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 160 Discussion - What defines MOTU?

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 160 Discussion - What defines MOTU?

Episode 160 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Nate Baertsch, and Rob Base are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    the future of MOTU Classics figures & new creations,
    the origin savage canon of MOTU,
    the allure of the vintage artwork,
    the toy commercials,
    Prince Adam and the DC Comics mini-series,
    Filmation and the cartoon,
    character relationships,
    New Adventures of He-Man,
    hibernation,
    failure of 200x and the meme era of the 2000s,
    the next generation, humor, and sarcasm,
    how much can be changed in tone and story,
    should He-Man and She-Ra evolve or die with us,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on May 2, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 59 minutes, 31 seconds

Direct link for Episode 160

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Oooh, more Gooble, yay!

I can totally relate to Nate and Rob. In 1982, I was already 11 years old....playing with toys wasnt cool socially anymore. But I was a huge Conan, Thundarr, Herculoids, etc...fan! When I saw the first commercial for the line, I was floored. I think I squealed after it ended. That Christmas I got Castle Grayskull and four figures and disappeared from the public into my room to play for the next how many years? I was sorely disappointed by the Filmation cartoon as being too dumbed down and ruining certain characters perceived attributes.
    Here I am 48, just this side of 50, wishing against all odds that there will be a renewing of the barbarian sword and sorcery fandom to bring back that aesthetic.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

I know what I’m
    Listening to tonight!
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Contact me per PM or my razzerian@gmail.com

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

For me, I would rather see it die with our generation than see it become polluted like Star Wars has. I would like future generations to like it, but not having any kids, it's not a big deal to me.
    I think it is time to explore the mythos beyond the time of SOH, or maybe I will eat a taco, either way I'm good.

Very interesting discussion about the possible tone of the upcoming movie.
    Odd Man Out

Thank you for all the compliments in regards to my English folks that was really very kind of you! But even more importantly, thank you for answering my question!

As for the tone of the movie, Marvel have definitely opened the door and shown the way as how to appeal to as broadbof an audience as possible, hopefully they’ll go down that route.

In addition, there are additional ways in catering to the hardcore fans if the movie is a success. Since that’ll open so many new opportunities up and bring in new fans (or get old fans sucked back in). Once this movie is made, we can start hoping for novels, a subject that was briefly adressed txo episodes ago already.

Star Wars do a great job at that, eventhough the Last Jedi was a disappointment for most, they’re still putting out so many high quality novels to keep the hardcore fans (somewhat) happy. I can only speak for myself but if it wasn’t for these novels, TLJ would’ve probably soured me on SW for quite a while.

Now, let’s hope that this movie won’t be a hugely polarizing film like TLJ, let’s hope it at least is watcheable for the hardcore fans and pulls in a lot of new fans. The tone may not be what we’re hoping for but at least it would open the doors to, for example, these novels with a more serious tone.

Don’t worry, be happy!
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

I got a chance to listen to this. Interesting discussion. My preferred canon is that early stuff. The Alcala comics were the first media I saw related to He-Man, aside from the cardback art. The next thing I saw was box art. For both the Alcala stuff and the early Rudy Obrero art, there is a sense of danger and mystery that wasn't quite the same in the media that followed.

I did have problems with the Filmation show when I first saw it, especially regarding Prince Adam and Orko. But, I still loved the show, and watched it any chance I got. There were some good stories there and I was really fascinated with the characters, particularly He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, Mer-Man, Beast Man and Trap Jaw.

As an adult I appreciate all of it. I like Orko better now than I did as a kid. But my favorite stuff will always be that early minicomic and box art material.

I had a different way of coming into MOTU. I'm 33 and was born in 1985, so I'm a child of the 90s. I'm the youngest of five, though, and my brothers were all MOTU fans. So the toys still littered the place when I was a nipper. So when I was growing up MOTU was still very much an integral part of my childhood, just like Ninja Turtles (which was my era). We had Secret of the Sword on VHS and I pretty much used to watch it on loop. So yes, my introduction to MOTU was through Filmation, so its no surprise that when I think of MOTU, He-Man, She-Ra, Skeletor and the like, I pretty much think of Filmation, and only Filmation. Also, to me, because of my introduction being through SOTS, She-Ra is just as much a part of MOTU as He-Man. As far as I'm concerned, it’s all one brand (although I know it isn't to Mattel). It wasn’t until I started using the Internet (so the late 90s) that I discovered the box art and the mini comics and the like, which blew my little mind at the time.

But yeah, Filmation through and through.

I’m actually 30 and I never really watched the cartoons growing up, at least not like most of you did. I probably watched an odd episode here and there, I actually have more memory of Thundercats (as a cartoon) than MOTU from my early childhood.

But as a kid I loved Schwarzenegger films, I naturally gravitated toward muscleheads, looked up to them. I guess that’s why I always enjoyed Hulk Hogan’s films more than anyone really should. The MOTU figures were still super common on flea markets in the early 90s, for some reason I always loved skulls and skeletons, probably Terminator had something to do with that. My first ever MOTU toys were Skeletor and Nightstalker, Skeletor had everything that appealed to me: a big muscle-bound physique and a menacing skull face!

I picked up more and more MOTU figures in thoe early 90s and got a complete Battle Cat with, for some reason, a complete Grizzlor riding him from my cousin! Mosquitor and Grizzlor were undoubtedly some of my favourites, I just loved the monster characters, it took a while before I ever got a He-Man and I think the first one I got was battle armor He-Man and he was in a huge vehicle, that to this day I can not identify!

Anyway, I don’t really have that connection to Filmation, yet Filmation style Skeletor is my absolute favourite figure. I’ve actually only recently started watching a lot of the Filmation stuff with my son.

Nevertheless I think they need to definitely take plenty of elements from Filmation, they need to make it theit own but they need to respect whatever came before. Personally I gravitate more toward the style of the early box art, buy I do believe that going 100% that route would be a mistake.

As long as Skeletor has an awesome looking skull for a face, wears a hood and is a blue skinned muscle head, I’m all good!

I think you could change some names and a few looks to New Adventures of He-Man and Netflix She-Ra & the Princesses of Power and you could have shows that are totally unrelated to Masters of the Universe, but still function on its own. Neither show is very Masters of the Universe to me, but that doesn't necessarily mean I can't enjoy them. I am currently enjoying watching New Adventures of He-Man with my kids. I got into Masters of the Universe before Filmation He-Man debuted and enjoy those Pre-Filmation & Filmation eras the most. MYP He-Man was a great reboot as well. I think MYP He-Man would have thrived better in the Netflix era where bad toy sales don't necessarily kill a show. With Filmation He-Man ending, I get why they put the Horde, the Rock People, Snout Spout, etc. into Filmation She-Ra to help sell the boy toys, but I'd like to see a day where Hordak, Leech, Mantenna, Grizzlor, and the other Hordesmen from the original toyline appear in a Masters of the Universe tv show or movie without the She-Ra connection. Mosquitor is dying for some media love.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    4 Non Blondes gets all the glory as the main song in that viral video/meme, but how about some props for Melissa Manchester?
    Part of her song makes a "cameo" in the video too (:46).

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    4 Non Blondes gets all the glory as the main song in that viral video/meme, but how about some props for Melissa Manchester?
    Part of her song makes a "cameo" in the video too (:46).
    Lmao

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    Lmao

This is the other oldschool video I was talking about after the show a few weeks ago.
    This still cracks me up.

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    This is the other oldschool video I was talking about after the show a few weeks ago.
    This still cracks me up.
    Wow 2006 and only 27000 views on that one????

www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Great Pod Cast, love the back and forth. I am the same as Val when it comes to the 80's line, I started with Filmation, and despite loving Conan as a kid, did not like the first 4 mini comics that depicted a barbarian He-man.

But on the topic of a live action film, I can see both Penny and Val's point of view, but tend to lean towards Penny's. If it fails, I would have it fail as a movie I enjoy and love, rather than it being successful as a film I hate. Yes I am being selfish speaking from my nostalgic heart and ignoring my logical business sense brain, but I do not want future video games, cartoons etc all steaming from something I hate, knowing it could be the end of what I love, Classics and Filmation would be dead and us 80's kids forgotten and left behind despite all the support we gave throughout the years.

I want that new video game and cartoon series to continue from what I grew up loving. I'm okay with slight changes, I loved 200X and wanted it to continue, despite not liking animals not talking, orko's annoying voice, and the horrible transformation sequence.

Maybe a new movie is not the answer Mattel needs. Game of Thrones would not have worked as a movie. Maybe MOTU needs to be told as a series as well to succeed, I would love HBO or Netflix have a crack at it.

The FILMation cartoon was my entry into the world of Masters of the Universe, though I do seem to have some vague memories of the toys being on my radar before that.

I grew up in a household with workaholic parents who really didn't have any awareness or much knowledge when it came to cartoons, toys, movies and so on. So, I can't relate at all when I read stories from other fans about a parent or parents staying on top of releases and promotions, mailing away/subscribing for such and such thing, taking them to go see The Secret of the Sword, the 1987 movie etc...lmao! Also, my parents would never have purchased a complete wave of anything for me. Shopping trips specifically for toys were infrequent and my memory is that, often times, they were more on the rushy 'pick something out' side. ha!

While I did have a Skeletor figure and a stand-in for He-Man (Remco Hercules), my strongest childhood MOTU memories overall are of my figures from 1985/1986/1987, like Roboto, Stinkor, Spikor, King Hiss and Snake Face. I never got any playsets or beasts. (Except for Crystal Falls from POP) Even though I loved the FILMation cartoon and few mini-comics that I owned, I don't recall being all that married to any particular storyline or being like "this is the DEFINITIVE world!" Outside of retaining powers/skill sets and some details here and there, I think I pretty much let my imagination run wild and treated the world like undefined raw material. With MOTU in particular, I guess I sort of approached it more along the lines of collecting something like Garbage Pail Kids cards, except that it was: "I'm collecting this awesome line of kooky looking figures", if that makes sense.

Anyhow, there was a lot of stuff that I didn't know about at the time. I learned more as I got older.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I got a chance to listen to this. Interesting discussion. My preferred canon is that early stuff. The Alcala comics were the first media I saw related to He-Man, aside from the cardback art. The next thing I saw was box art. For both the Alcala stuff and the early Rudy Obrero art, there is a sense of danger and mystery that wasn't quite the same in the media that followed.

I did have problems with the Filmation show when I first saw it, especially regarding Prince Adam and Orko. But, I still loved the show, and watched it any chance I got. There were some good stories there and I was really fascinated with the characters, particularly He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, Mer-Man, Beast Man and Trap Jaw.

As an adult I appreciate all of it. I like Orko better now than I did as a kid. But my favorite stuff will always be that early minicomic and box art material.
    It's probably no surprise to hear me say ditto! Minicomics and box art did it for me, although it was the Series Two minis I preferred. I've always been a fan of the Arthurian legends, so the quest-like themes (especially in The Magic Stealer!) appealed a lot.

I, too, enjoyed the cartoons, but I just saw them as a spin-off of the original 'correct' themes. I owned - still own - Prince Adam, but never considered him to be part of the plot. He was just an extra figure that looked like He-Man. Even now I don't consider him to be part of the canon, although the DC Comics version fits better than the Filmation one.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

One of MOTU's biggest problems is that it has multiple personalities. Every board member could tell you what their favorite interpretation is, but how do you go about making a movie? What lore do you use? Is there an actual right or wrong answer?? Then, there's the issue of tone. Some people want Lord of the Rings, while some want it lighter and with humor. Do you use bright colors, or do you mute everything with lots of dull shades?
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 14, 2019 at 03:45pm.
    Odd Man Out