Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Each Sold Separately: Collect Them All! podcast episode 11 - Brian Flynn of Super7

Each Sold Separately: Collect Them All! podcast episode 11 - Brian Flynn of Super7

Some of you may know that I have a new podcast, that I cohost with my good friend Colonel Raines Carr. Many of you have been listening, and it's been wonderful hearing your feedback.

It's called "Each Sold Separately: Collect Them All!" - A podcast for nerds, and the people who love them!

This week, Brian Flynn from Super7 is our guest; and I have to say The Colonel and I had a blast with him discussing:

- Masters of the Universe Classics
    - Snake Mountain (production details, shipping, etc)
    - "The Worst," Super7's amazing in-house created ReAction line
    - She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
    - Where's the Great Rebellion?
    - the origin of Super7
    - Japanese vinyl toys
    - "Breakin', the Movie" ReAction figures and Raines' love for all things cardboard!
    - Pee Wee, Alien, and MOTU ReAction
    - toy making in the social media age
    - the future of MOTU and Super7

Join us for the nerdiest episode yet! Brian really is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people I've ever met in the toy industry. He's a collector, and he's honest. I greatly appreciate that, and I hope you will too!

NOTICE: the episode might contain some adult language. The views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of He-Man.Org.

Click here to listen!
    Last edited by bcrduke; May 6, 2019 at 10:25am.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Heroic Warrior
    I always love hearing Brian Flynn talk toys. Thanks!

Great episode guys!
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Contact me per PM or my razzerian@gmail.com

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

Yep, great episode, thanks guys and Brian F!

Points of interest:

Snake Mountain early presales aren’t very good. Needs to pick up, or this thing isn’t getting made.

Collectors Choice figures barely squeak by their minimum each time. Super7 is probably barely breaking even / making a profit on them.

Filmation / CG figures usually do well, although a few figures in that line barely made the minimum (I assume hawke, maybe Sorceress, tung lashor?)

They actually got 75% negative feedback on the CC movie figures (which doesn’t bode well for their pre-orders)

They may get to make new / vintage / classics She-ra PoP toys, but not for a while as Mattel doesn’t want confusion.

The pink elephant in the room was danced around the entire time. Super7 isn’t doing SDCC 2019 skeletor’s lair (nor doing any motu exclusives). Because of “someone else”. They said they will still be making motu stuff going forward, but it won’t be like it has been. So... is Mattel taking back the license and doing their own MOTU CC/CG? Or just She ra and they don’t want Super7 making motu for now? Did Mattel sell the license to someone else? Does Super7 only get to continue with their 5.5” vintage line? Who here knows what’s really going on?
    Last edited by Creedog; May 8, 2019 at 09:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by Creedog View Post

Points of interest:

Snake Mountain early presales aren’t very good. Needs to pick up, or this thing isn’t getting made.

Collectors Choice figures barely squeak by their minimum each time. Super7 is probably barely breaking even / making a profit on them.

Filmation / CG figures usually do well, although a few figures in that line barely made the minimum (I assume hawke, maybe Sorceress, tung lashor?)

They actually got 75% negative feedback on the CC movie figures (which doesn’t bode well for their pre-orders)

They may get to make new / vintage / classics She-ra PoP toys, but not for a while as Mattel doesn’t want confusion.

The pink elephant in the room was danced around the entire time. Super7 isn’t doing SDCC 2019 skeletor’s lair (nor doing any motu exclusives). Because of “someone else”. They said they will still be making motu stuff going forward, but it won’t be like it has been. So... is Mattel taking back the license and doing their own MOTU CC/CG? Or just She ra and they don’t want Super7 making motu for now? Did Mattel sell the license to someone else? Does Super7 only get to continue with their 5.5” vintage line? Who here knows what’s really going on?
    Not surprised at all by the negativity surrounding Super7 nor the abysmal sales figures. They've made a mess of MOTUC.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar

Points of interest:

The only thing I KNOW, and I am pretty certain Val or BCRDuke will back me up on this, is that if S7 doesn't make CC/CG it is highly UNLIKELY that Mattel will continue these lines---there is a chance they could reboot the line using the same bucks and new packaging etc, but the ship has sailed on Mattel for adult collector lines and I can't imagine that they would come back into that world after laying such a big egg so recently.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

One of the podcasters made a not completely vague point that time is running out on the license. And Brian F said something to the effect like “before this all wraps up, we’d still like to do...”

I just don’t know how they could lose the license (in the relatively near future, say end of 2019?), but still “make some motu stuff” going forward.

It would really be a shame if the next waves were the end of the road.

One of the podcasters made a not completely vague point that time is running out on the license. And Brian F said something to the effect like “before this all wraps up, we’d still like to do...”

I just don’t know how they could lose the license (in the relatively near future, say end of 2019?), but still “make some motu stuff” going forward.

It would really be a shame if the next waves were the end of the road.

Yeah, that was I.

They could make certain items depending upon whether Mattel decided to limit the license. Remember, before Super7 started making MOTUC figures, they were making other items related to the brand.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

I'm still trying to figure out what Brian Flynn was trying to say at the 19:50 mark when he somehow connected peoples comments about the new She-Ra looking like a boy to Make America Great Again and something about racism.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what Brian Flynn was trying to say at the 19:50 mark when he somehow connected peoples comments about the new She-Ra looking like a boy to Make America Great Again and something about racism.
    The way I understood it: because the new She-Ra doesn’t look as voluptuous as the old one, people don’t find her sexually appealing so she “looks like a boy”.

The point he was making is, that at first he didn’t really get that the whole “Make America great again” had racist connotations.

And likewise he didn’t get, at first, that “She-Ra looks like a boy” was out of sexism.

At least that’s how I interpreted it.

I actually think the new She-Ra looks great and Adora’s look reminds me of a highschool friend who always had her hair like that too.
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Contact me per PM or my razzerian@gmail.com

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

Court Magician
    I can't believe the negative feedback on the movie figures. I thought these were figures people had been wanting for 30 years. I bought my set day one.

Edit:

In regards to Snake Mountain, it's cool, but it's also expensive and since my collection is almost all Flimation figures, it's not something I've been pining for. If it had more space to display figures on the front and back or if it was more Filmation-oriented, I may have been able to get on board. But at $750+ it's something I can't buy if I'm not super excited about it.

Double edit:

But I do hope that Snake Mountain gets made so the people that want one can get one.
    Last edited by Orko's Uncle; May 8, 2019 at 01:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    The way I understood it: because the new She-Ra doesn’t look as voluptuous as the old one, people don’t find her sexually appealing so she “looks like a boy”.

The point he was making is, that at first he didn’t really get that the whole “Make America great again” had racist connotations.

And likewise he didn’t get, at first, that “She-Ra looks like a boy” was out of sexism.

At least that’s how I interpreted it.

I actually think the new She-Ra looks great and Adora’s look reminds me of a highschool friend who always had her hair like that too.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Probably not the best idea to throw political jabs out there when half his customers are likely Trump supporters.

Also, just because someone thinks the new She-Ra looks like a boy, that doesn't make them sexist. I like the new She-Ra too. I think it was great idea to make her younger and more appealing to kids. I agree with him that she looks like a young teenage girl. I think most people who are saying she looks like a boy are used to the 80's blonde bombshell She-Ra and that's what they were hoping to see again.
    Last edited by nickdoobs; May 8, 2019 at 01:20pm.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Yeah, that was I.

They could make certain items depending upon whether Mattel decided to limit the license. Remember, before Super7 started making MOTUC figures, they were making other items related to the brand.
    Great podcast, btw! Loved the focus on how Brian F got started, as well as the impact his (and Mattel’s) toys have had on you and the Colonel’s lives. I also really appreciate the lack of negativity, yet still being truthful and up front.

Anyway. Do you think we will have any future CG waves after wave 4? When would you guess that Super7 license to do the detailed characters runs out?

It’ll be really sad if we never get these characters in Filmation form:

Whiplash, Webstor, Mekaneck, Ram man, Buzz off, Two Bad

Although in a perfect world, that would be one heck of a final wave.

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Ok, after listening to this, I think I will never see any of those wish-list characters listed in the bottom of each of my posts... even if some of them are easy to make (because of re-use potential). Heck, we won't see any more CC, it's just not profitable, it seems. I hope Power-Con can continue delivering some CC-styled figures for some years.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Great podcast, btw! Loved the focus on how Brian F got started, as well as the impact his (and Mattel’s) toys have had on you and the Colonel’s lives. I also really appreciate the lack of negativity, yet still being truthful and up front.
    Thank you for noticing that. I was determined to keep it honest, but positive!

Anyway. Do you think we will have any future CG waves after wave 4? When would you guess that Super7 license to do the detailed characters runs out?
    Well, it’s no secret that Funko is no longer making masters of the universe items, And that that was a sudden development… So it could be surmised that their license was just canceled, as opposed to it running out. However, I do think that Super7 Will be able to continue with certain items, despite the fact that Mattel probably wants to limit their license... and perhaps return to how they were allowed to produce things prior to MOTUC. As for Club Grayskull, I think Mattel probably needs to hear from the fans that they are interested in Super7 continuing that line. I think the movie plays a big part in how Mattel is drawing back on its licensing out.

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    Ok, after listening to this, I think I will never see any of those wish-list characters listed in the bottom of each of my posts... even if some of them are easy to make (because of re-use potential). Heck, we won't see any more CC, it's just not profitable, it seems. I hope Power-Con can continue delivering some CC-styled figures for some years.
    Power Con, if I had to guess, is probably the one venue for those, for now. That doesn’t mean things can’t change in the future.

...I think the movie plays a big part in how Mattel is drawing back on its licensing out...
    Oh, crap, I keep forgettting about the new Motu movie. I was thinking that Mattel is going overboard protecting the new She Ra show (and it’s future toyline). But no, the new movie will certainly come with a massive new toy line too, and those are the big bucks that Mattel doesn’t want risked.

Makes sense, I guess. Don’t want to confuse new motu fans by selling them a motuc figure they think should be Noah Centineo. Too bad they need to toss life long fans to the side to get new ones. Such is life.

Anyway, thanks for the response!

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Power Con, if I had to guess, is probably the one venue for those, for now. That doesn’t mean things can’t change in the future.
    Thank you for your insights into this. And thanks for the entertainment and honesty delivered through this episode.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Red Shadow, Red Knight, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    Not surprised at all by the negativity surrounding Super7 nor the abysmal sales figures. They've made a mess of MOTUC.
    I was an early supporter of S7/MOTU, but after spending so much money with them and being somehow disappointed every time for a reason or another (poor quality and poor service being top of the list here), I can't be excited by anything they do anymore. At first, the many variants were kinda interesting and reminded me of the good old Kenner days; but now it is getting silly and an obvious lazy attempt to make a quick buck. It's a shame but I think Brian took a few bad decisions along the way despite all of us raising concerns.

I cannot wait for Mattel to get their license back and provide some quality product.
    More quality control and a global distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I was an early supporter of S7/MOTU, but after spending so much money with them and being somehow disappointed every time for a reason or another (poor quality and poor service being top of the list here), I can't be excited by anything they do anymore. At first, the many variants were kinda interesting and reminded me of the good old Kenner days; but now it is getting silly and an obvious lazy attempt to make a quick buck. It's a shame but I think Brian took a few bad decisions along the way despite all of us raising concerns.

I cannot wait for Mattel to get their license back and provide some quality product.
    More quality control and a global distribution.
    I respect your opinion, but I totally disagree with you regarding Super7 trying to make a quick buck with variants.

Are you talking about ReAction? Brian talks about why they produce different color-way variants. It's based, in part, on Japanese vinyl color variants and the mode of collecting those.

With regard to the vintage style line, they make variants based on the cartoon, and those help pay for new tooling, so we can have figures like Shadow Weaver and He-Ro.

And regarding your wish that Mattel gets the license back, I wouldn't expect any Classics (Collectors Choice or Club Grayskull) from them.

Heroic Warrior
    Any chance new Collector choise items like Lady Slither, Colonel Blast, Sagitar, or thisbis the end of Motuc.

If Mattel take the license back from Super7 and put classics to limbo....i will personally take it as a 2nd time disappointing act from them. Super7 saves them and the classics line the first time, the least they can do is at least give then a few more wave to complete some set, perfect example is NA,.

What Mattel did to Thundercats classics is disappointing, now motu classics will end incomplete.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry, but super 7 is not the best. For example the wave 3 of CC, all the wave is movie characters, and one slot is a repaint, the correct was 2 movie character and 2 characters like Lady slither and Hunga for example, that we want. The quality is so bad and you payd for that is not a favor, if the snake mountain have a bad quality who response, is a lot of money, so why we dont doubt. Mattel dont make more classics is logic, they have a new generations of fans, they have new serie of She-ra and a new movie, classics have 11 years and its a beutyful line, but super 7 is not the correct to make him.

Quote Originally Posted by Karatzis View Post
    Sorry, but super 7 is not the best. For example the wave 3 of CC, all the wave is movie characters, and one slot is a repaint, the correct was 2 movie character and 2 characters like Lady slither and Hunga for example, that we want. The quality is so bad and you payd for that is not a favor, if the snake mountain have a bad quality who response, is a lot of money, so why we dont doubt. Mattel dont make more classics is logic, they have a new generations of fans, they have new serie of She-ra and a new movie, classics have 11 years and its a beutyful line, but super 7 is not the correct to make him.
    And you base your 2 movie and 2 "you wanted" characters is the right approach to what?
    But whatever, i can respect that because it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

But please, do respect mine. Super7 gave me the opportunity to have more of the filmation characters which i discovered that i preferred than any version so I personally like them continuing the line. Heck if Mattel will finish it after Super7 I will love it like I love Mattel since i was a kid, but I doubt they will continue it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I respect your opinion, but understand that, is not only my opinion is the opinion of many fans, lady slither and Hunga are the most wanted see the polls. See they said the wave 3 of cc is not a good result, see many fans angry but deficient quality, its my? No please.

Quote Originally Posted by Karatzis View Post
    I respect your opinion, but understand that, is not only my opinion is the opinion of many fans, lady slither and Hunga are the most wanted see the polls. See they said the wave 3 of cc is not a good result, see many fans angry but deficient quality, its my? No please.
    Yes, there are several people in these forums who have the exact same opinion that you have.

I’m on the other side of the fence. I realize that MOTUC CC / CG were ended, if S7 hadn’t stepped in and delivered several more characters. Our opinion is that we feel privileged to even have the option to buy them, which we joyfully did.

If you dislike S7 and their toys so much, just don’t buy them. It would be no different than if S7 never got the license in the first place.

In my opinion, you seem very ungrateful. Why does the world owe you perfect Motuc figures (that never existed, even under Mattel)?

Well, you’ll soon have your way, no motuc for anyone!