Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 161 Discussion - He-Man movie

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 161 Discussion - He-Man movie

Episode 161 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Nate Baertsch, Rob Base, and Daniel Benedict are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    the Nee brothers as directors,
    screenplay by Matt Holloway and Art Marcum,
    old scripts for the film,
    embracing the source material,
    successful and not so successsful takes on He-Man,
    furry shorts,
    casting of Noah Centineo as He-Man,
    things we want to see in the film,
    and much more!

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on May 9, 2019
    Runtime: 1 hour, 18 minutes, 34 seconds

Direct link for Episode 161

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Glad you've devoted one of these to the movie. Looking forward to giving it a listen.

Listening now!

Just to add what we’ve discussed and found out in the movie rumor thread over the months, the Nee brothers seemed to get the MOTU gig because they got a lot of buzz from the Transformers short they made in a bid for the Bumblebee movie. Aaron Née actually has a background in visual effects. So I don’t think it’s a case of padding a IMDB resume.

Also yeah Sony’s history can be mixed in terms of projects and directors but when they get it right, they REALLY get it right. Case in point being Sam Raimi and Spider-Man 1 & 2 which until Marvel Studios really started getting going, were the biggest and most successful movies produced and not just the biggest superhero movies.

Great podcast, thanks!

I completely agree with you guys on the movie, just bring the filmation series to life, as is. What an amazing movie THAT version would be!

But we all know what Hollywood does to properties. Transformers, TMNT, GI Joe, and the ‘87 Masters movie were all barely shadows of the source material.

My guess? They’ll reuse the character names, plus a few nods to the show. But outside of that, it’ll be a complete reinvention of the series. No prince Adam, no battlecat, etc. It may still be cool. And the toys will be cool. But I really doubt it’ll be motu.

I’ve been looking forward to a new movie episode, can’t wait to listen! Can’t we make this a twice-a-week thing?

What will it take to make that happen Mr. Staples!?
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Keldor, 200x Zodak, Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, Tung Lashor, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Contact me per PM or my razzerian@gmail.com

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    What will it take to make that happen Mr. Staples!?
    It be a paid job.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I agree with most of what you guys said about what this movie needs to be. I don't know how much of that we'll actually see, but as long as it doesn't stay too far from what we know, I should be pleased.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Very happy to have Gooble back on a weekly basis! I’m a sales rep and I’m on the road all day, so podcasts are a big part of my life.

As for the film, it’s been such a long time coming now that I really don’t get worked up about it anymore. I am excited that it finally seems to have some real momentum! I was already familiar with Noah and I can absolutely see him working as He-Man, especially his face. I did go back and listen to an old Gooble episode discussing the casting of He-Man and it was interesting/amusing to hear what was being said back in 2011
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2019!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It be a paid job.
    Open up some advertisement slots!

Great discussion as always. I do agree, they should stick to the source material as closely as possible. GOTG2 proved you can have VERY colorful characters work in a modern movie. You don't have to make everything dark, edgy, or unrecognizable.

I'm keeping an open mind about everything. Number one thing is the story and the characters have to be compelling.

Heroic Warrior
    I do not want to see ANY cameos from people in the previous movie. I hate when they do that with reboots. It takes me out of the movie.

I have such low expectations for this movie. I just don’t know. I think about that John Carter Mars movie and how it was a mix of primitive and sci-fi and it was one of the biggest box office bombs. I worry for this franchise. Then I think about the GI Joe movies and wonder if that’s the best we can hope for and that’s not saying much.

Must haves:
    01 Transformation sequence
    02 Amazing Castle Grayskull
    03 HUGE cast of characters. Flesh out a core group of 6 to 8 (He-Man, Teela, MAA, Sorceress, Skeletor, Beast Man, Evil-Lyn, Trap Jaw) but have glimpses of many many more or one or two speaking lines of many many more. I want a cantina scene showing random characters that maybe get bigger roles in the sequels.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Razzerian View Post
    Open up some advertisement slots!
    Put it on Patreon