Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Official Captain Marvel 2019 Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Mod Note:
    Let’s steer clear of the pointless bickering, gang. Keep the discussion to the movie, don’t get personal, and have fun.

I still haven’t seen this, but my wife and I would like to.
    Do it!

And take Hermione... she will love it!!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Last note before people start getting infractions:

Let’s steer clear of the pointless bickering. Keep the discussion to the movie, don’t get personal, and have fun. No political talk; save that for the Tar Swamp.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Not surprising, but:

Captain Marvel is now Marvel’s $1 billion woman.

In its three-and-a-half weeks or so in theaters, Captain Marvel has hauled in $358 million domestically and $645 million internationally to bring its worldwide total a little over the $1 billion mark, according to Variety. The movie is now Marvel’s eighth (out of 21) most successful movie on North American soil, and overall, it has Marvel’s seventh-biggest box office of all time.

Captain Marvel is Marvel’s first movie — in 11 years of filmmaking and 20 movies — to center on a female superhero. And with that comes the pressure to succeed. If it had failed, Captain Marvel could have been used as an excuse to not make woman-led superhero movies, under the logic that those movies don’t make money.

I especially like this part:

Captain Marvel’s box office success also comes in the face of online trolls who tried to sink the movie’s online audience scores with fake reviews and low ratings on sites like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. The movie has been met with mostly positive reviews from critics.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/4/3...ce-one-billion

Heroic Warrior
    yawn. ever notice it's ALWAYS womens last stand in these things? smh.

I guess they don't count brie larsen as the biggest online troll.
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

I have no doubt that people troll. I see it all day long on social media when it comes to things I am incredibly passionate about (personally I think social media is trash). That being said, why do they always call people who dislike the movie trolls and then say 'professional critics love the movie.' Yeah, professional critics are not critical of anything they get paid not to be critical of. I absolutely refuse to read 'professional reviews.' If I read or view any reviews, there are only a handful of fan critics I would listen to because their loyalty is to the characters they love. Ever since the whole TLJ fiasco on Rotten Tomatoes I do not trust any of those sites anymore.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Apparently, because Brie Larson's first time playing Captain Marvel happened during the filming of EndGame, the Russo brothers worked with the Captain Marvel production team to ensure that the character maintained consistency between both movies.

This is reassuring news, and a bit of vindication from a lot of the Captain Marvel haters who think that she is too powerful in her movie and fear that she might eclipse the other MCU heroes.

This is a really enlightening article:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...sons-character

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is reassuring news, and a bit of vindication from a lot of the Captain Marvel haters who think that she is too powerful in her movie and fear that she might eclipse the other MCU heroes.
    So I read the article and am not understanding where it says anything about power levels or anything. It's just talking about maintaining consistency. So if she's as consistently powerful as she was in her own movie, she will be the most powerful (maybe second to Thor although recently in a friendly joking type interview she told Hemsworth she was stronger than him).

Look, there some of us that just aren't in love with her character. She's going to be very powerful, therefore she can't just be a sideline player-that's the assumption. All we can do is wait and see.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

The newest EndGame TV Spot shows a bunch of new clips from the movie, including a few of Captain Marvel in her upgraded suit!

This version features more gold highlights and the insignia on her chest is closer to the comic-version.

Now... should I be upset that my Hot Toys Carol Danvers is already depreciating in the costume department?!?

I love Brie:

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Look, there some of us that just aren't in love with her character. She's going to be very powerful, therefore she can't just be a sideline player-that's the assumption. All we can do is wait and see.
    Very sensible statement.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I love Brie:
    Me too!

And Scarlett was decked-out similarly:

Classy ladies!

Loved it! I think I am going to have to watch it again before I really dissect it, but I thought it was an awesome movie. I have a very similar kind of smart aleck sense of humor as Carol Danvers. I do not have any problems with the way they handled the character. She was a tough, strong woman from the beginning (via the flash backs), so it makes sense that she would be a tough warrior. The only time they really showed a man in a negative light is when they did the bar flash back. Having spent some time in bars when I was in college I would say that was pretty par for the course in the 90's. I really dug the movie. I still do not want her to swoop in and fix everything, but it would be nice for the Avengers to have a powerful ally.

I do have one nit pick and I am not sure how to use spoiler text, so do not read the next part if you have not seen the movie...

I do not like that she is being attributed with the creation of the 'Avenger' name for the initiative and team. Captain America came before her and he was the first Avenger. It seems like they were pandering with that one and that annoyed me a bit.
    Last edited by IceyCat; May 9, 2019 at 09:07am.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Loved it! I think I am going to have to watch it again before I really dissect it, but I thought it was an awesome movie. I have a very similar kind of smart aleck sense of humor as Carol Danvers. I do not have any problems with the way they handled the character. She was a tough, strong woman from the beginning (via the flash backs), so it makes sense that she would be a tough warrior. The only time they really showed a man in a negative light is when they did the bar flash back. Having spent some time in bars when I was in college I would say that was pretty par for the course in the 90's. I really dug the movie. I still do not want her to swoop in and fix everything, but it would be nice for the Avengers to have a powerful ally.

I do have one nit pick and I am not sure how to use spoiler text, so do not read the next part if you have not seen the movie...

I do not like that she is being attributed with the creation of the 'Avenger' name for the initiative and team. Captain America came before her and he was the first Avenger. It seems like they were pandering with that one and that annoyed me a bit.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it Icey!

It quickly became one of my top five favorite MCU movies!

And I agree with you on her character, she is played very well by Larsen and is one of the most unique personalities in the MCU now. I am really excited to see where the studio goes from here... there are so many possibilities - especially with a 30 year hiatus between CM and Endgame!

Also, I agree with the Avengers Initiative... that was an unnecessary easter-egg and I was also a little underwhelmed by the way in which Nick Fury lost his eye... it wasn't quite as epic as I had imagined, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Also, I agree with the Avengers Initiative... that was an unnecessary easter-egg and I was also a little underwhelmed by the way in which Nick Fury lost his eye... it wasn't quite as epic as I had imagined, lol.
    Yeah the eye thing is kind of lame. So I took the kids to see it, I wanted to watch it first since there seems to be controversy surrounding anything Hollywood puts out these days. My son loved it, my daughter was like 'Meh!' Apparently Captain Marvel is NO Wonder Woman. My daughter is completely smitten with WW, so I wasn't sure if CM was going to really capture her attention. I know you shouldn't really compare the two, but I can see why WW would be more appealing to little girls.

I only seen a poor quality download of the movie so far so I can't really comment on it as such. But from what I seen of it, it seemed good. Not the best MCU movie, but far from the worst.

Captain Marvel is coming to DVD/Blu-Ray on June 11th!!

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar

Captain Marvel Blu-Ray/DVD Release Thread

Got mine today...$22.99 at Target...

Last edited by Megalodon; June 11, 2019 at 06:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Got mine today...$22.99 at Target...

https://pisces.bbystatic.com/image2/...0;maxWidth=550
    Me too!! So happy!!

I also got this beauty in the mail a couple of days ago!

My figuarts Avengers shelf was in major need of a strong female superhero!
    Last edited by Ornclown; June 11, 2019 at 11:06pm.

The extras and the gag reel were great!

OK, give me some background on the Skrulls. I watched a You Tube critique where a vlogger said that the Skrulls are one of the worst villains in comics and he thought it was very strange that they made them into sympathetic characters that are illegally hiding in a space station outside of Earth.

OK, give me some background on the Skrulls. I watched a You Tube critique where a vlogger said that the Skrulls are one of the worst villains in comics and he thought it was very strange that they made them into sympathetic characters that are illegally hiding in a space station outside of Earth.
    First off all if you didn't read comics you wouldn't say that... They are shape changers and can mimic anyone memories,voices etc. and they were only "Sympathetic" in this movie and it was a small group in the comics they did a great story line called Secret Invasion that had the Skrulls as the main bad guys and wanting Earth because Galactus destroyed their world. The Kree are really not nice either but they are the lesser of two evils... I have a felling your going to see this fleshed out more in Phase 4...

The Skrull are extra terrestrial, shape-shifting humanoid aliens that are typically depicted as a deceptive and dubious war-like race. They have been at war with the Kree (think Ronan from GotG) for decades and have no planet to call their home.

They have traditionally appeared in Fantastic Four stories (where they were originally introduced way back in issue #2!) as the bad guys - especially Kl'rt, a.k.a. the "Super Skrull", a Skrull that has been bio-engineered to have the abilities of all four members of the F.F.

Though not always, the Skrull are generally portrayed as underhanded and duplicitous - so the critique you heard is warranted, it was a twist in Captain Marvel that was jarring for long-time comic fans, but I felt it worked perfectly... It was a nice twist on the same 'ol formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The extras and the gag reel were great!
    I was surprised by some of the deleted scenes!

A couple of those should have remained in the theatrical release!

Thank you for explaining that to me. It went over my head since I do not remember ever reading about them. I genuinely liked Talos, I thought his character was great.

I will have to pick this up at some time - Still haven't gotten Black Panther or even Winter Soldier yet though. I feel pretty pathetic for a Marvel fan.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"