Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: "Mekaneck's Lament" - Official Episode Talkback

Quote Originally Posted by Machinitess View Post
    I dunno. I can't figure it out. Mekaneck is one of my favorite characters because he's so different from everyone else (between the classic and MYP versions, he's got quite a heavy load to carry)-- and his action feature in both cases (original and 200x) is a lot of fun.

Episodes that feature him are probably some of my favorite from the 80s and would be in MYP, you know, if the Horde didn't appear in the series at all.

I guess it could be argued that at least in the MYP incarnation he really didn't fit at all. One could say that since in his very origin he has to esentially be at death's door that he's not strong, or powerful at all and that he was saved more out of pitty or some twisted way for Man-At-Arms to test out some of his technology (they went that route with Triklops 'creating' Trapjaw. But I think that's what makes him so appealing to me.

Here you had a character who wasn't strong, or powerful or effected by the massive battle (at least in MYP) in any way but he desperately wanted to prove himself to the other warriors. Was it a quest to be accepted that got him in over his head? Did he get injured because he was a coward and was trying to run away from the battle? Why did he still continue to fight after his neck was rebuilt and he knew how easy it would be for him to actually die?

Okay granted, the fact that he had a super long neck and that his 80s toy had a super cool action feature, at least when i was young that made me really love him. But now that I'm older and they've updated him some with the MYP incarnation my comments/thoughts/questions from above are what keep him one of my favorites now that I've grown up.

Yup, I appreciated the depth they gave him as well-- it also struck me as interesting that Mekaneck was one of the few Masters in the classic series to have a family beside He-man, Teela/Duncan/Sorceress, and Stratos. Mekaneck had a son who adored him and believed he was a hero when others didn't. I wish that would have been played up in the MYP version.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinitess View Post
    Yup, I appreciated the depth they gave him as well-- it also struck me as interesting that Mekaneck was one of the few Masters in the classic series to have a family beside He-man, Teela/Duncan/Sorceress, and Stratos. Mekaneck had a son who adored him and believed he was a hero when others didn't. I wish that would have been played up in the MYP version.
    Maybe that's something that they would have touched on if the series lasted longer? If you accept that Filmation and MYP are in the same universe then since we got an origin story for He-Man in the first three episodes that would obviously have to happen before Filmation maybe Mekaneck's son would have come later.

They did try to make the show more 'adult' friendly, Teela and Adam were 16, Adora when they got to her would obviously have been 16, Evil-Lyn struck me as fairly young as well, they could have left Mek's son out simply because that would have one too many young folk around in the series? Who knows.

That's possible. Would have been cute to have him show up at the castle going "I'm looking for the greatest hero in the universe!" and everyone go "He-man's not here." and him go "Not He-Man! My dad!". Priceless and totally in character.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    "Mekaneck's Lament" made me think of the MOTU mini-comic book, "Eye of the Storm," where Snout Spout feels he's useless. Did the writers have this in mind when they wrote Mekaneck's Lament? Was it intentional? Were there any episodes like this in the original series?

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I was watching my dvd of the 2002 series, and I gotta say that this is one of my favorite episodes!! Origin of Mekaneck AND Count Marzo!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Lurker View Post
    I was watching my dvd of the 2002 series, and I gotta say that this is one of my favorite episodes!! Origin of Mekaneck AND Count Marzo!!
    To be fair, in the episode there is no Origin of Mekaneck.
    We learn that he is temporarily feeling down on his abilities. Nothing on what were the circumstances how he got those abilities and who did it. (though you can check the DVD special features for his bio. It's....interesting version in telling his origin a bit)

But yes. All the reference to Count Marzo, Captain Miro, Hall of Wisdom are just great stuff to learn.