Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comic #1 Official Talk Back

Brassy Baroness

The review

Oh my god, it was so worth the wait.

The drawing was fabulose, and He-man is a hunk. Wow, let me tell you I'd provoke Skeletor to have He-man come riding in on Battle cat to save me. *groOowl!*

The next big thing I noticed was the colors were awesome. The attention to detail was amazing. From the shadows from Orkos hat to the background, I just could not get enough of it. I'm very happy it was printed on glossy paper so not to dull those highlight. Big thumbs up.

Finally, the story. There is one! I was disapointed in GI Joe for it's hokey story lines and Thundercats for the lack of theirs, but He-man's was excellant. Not too much of one character, and the chemistry went off with out a hitch. I though the development was smooth. Major thumbs up for the Evil Lyn's part, she always was a women to reckon with.

The only problem, I want more.

Jack
    Sounds good. I'll have to go pick one up on my lunch break. I agree that the GI Joe comic was disappointing. I dropped it after 6 issues. The Transformer one also fell short of my expectations. I hope the MOTU one satisfies me.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar

Thank you for giving me a reason to buy comic books once again!

I greatly appreciate it, MVCreations.

I have bought a comic book in about 12 years until today. I bought 3!~! And once of those 3 has a gold foil logo with a pretty, glossy He-Man and Battlecat on the front. I am very pleased with all 3 covers and the inside as well.

Gracias.

`,,`,,`
    -=Evil Cunt Marz=-
    BlAcK FlOwErS!!!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

The Shogun of Harlem masterofetheria's Avatar
    while issue #1 was good. i must thank VAL and the boys for making me go to the dreaded comic shop. Jim Lee and J. Loeb working on Batman so cool. and i picked up all the issues from the three Transformer series. while it seems that this helps nothing, i say even if MOTU goes to hell like Superman did years back i'll still buy it. to bad yous guys said g.i.joe sucked, sorry Valentino i guess i ain't buyin

Watcha gonna do Eternia when Val Staples runs wid on you!
    Am I the meanest? Sho'nuff!
    Am I the prettiest? Sho'nuff!
    Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town? Sho'nuff!
    Well who am I? Sho'nuff!
    Who am I? Sho'nuff!
    I can't hear you...Sho'nuff!

Well, wait until TheShadow reviews it.

The people will wonder if it's really any good.

*shrugs*
    It's just supposed to be a fun book.
    The story was pretty loose in issue 1, kinda fun, kinda campy, with some of the new. Just a even mix... I hope.

Emiliano and Marco knock it out of the park, though.

Originally posted by JVS3
    Well, wait until TheShadow reviews it.

The people will wonder if it's really any good.

*shrugs*
    It's just supposed to be a fun book.
    The story was pretty loose in issue 1, kinda fun, kinda campy, with some of the new. Just a even mix... I hope.

Emiliano and Marco knock it out of the park, though.
    Now, now .... none of that Val. It sound suspiscously like nervous artist "well, it's not the best but I did my best and I think it's pretty good but this isn't exactly what you might like but I hope... blah blah" syndrome.

Be loud and proud! You are the MOTU writer! (cue victorious drum beat)

I know, I do it all the time with my art, but you've done your best work and you should be proud and not feel the need to put qualifiers on it. But I'm sure it'll be good. I'm looking forward to it. (If it's not good then I'll roast you alive... Mwa Ha Ha!) My comic shop doesn't put new books out till 3 and I have a piano lesson right then but after its over I'm jetting over to my comic shop. But I'll get to reviewing it eventually I'm sure.

One wee little suggestion. Maybe you should change the title of this to "MOTU #1 Review Thread" or something like they do for the TV episodes just so there aren't a thousand posts with reviews and they are all contained in one, nice neat space.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Eternian Beekeeper Meta Ray Mek's Avatar
    I'll probably pick up my copy this weekend. (I can't really go anywhere now that I have a blasted cold) From the sounds of it, it looks to be pretty good!

Can't wait to get my germ-ridden hands on it!
    formerly known as 'the parasite eve'

"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine.

Originally posted by the parasite eve
    I'll probably pick up my copy this weekend. (I can't really go anywhere now that I have a blasted cold) From the sounds of it, it looks to be pretty good!

Can't wait to get my germ-ridden hands on it!
    You are going to LOVE Emiliano's Orko! A great mix of the old toon and the new toy look!

The book was GREAT! ESP the Snout spout throw back...when i flipped through it in the store that was the first page i saw! GREAT STUFF!!!

The writing...PERFECT! a great intro still nice and light and fun but there was a looming dread hanging about...nice!

Emiliano's evil-lyn....GRRRR BABY! ESP the last page!
    oh and VISIBLE MINORITIES!!! WOO HOOO! Thanks guys! and if that Black woman is based on anyone you know in real life....have her PM me...cuz that is some hotness right there!

Thanks a Lot guys this comic was SO worth the wait.
    Last edited by krosfyah; December 11, 2002 at 03:25pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Will we have an "Official comic #1 Talkback thread"

And will Sir Reilly have that honors, since TheShadow is handling the cartoon-section

btw: I LOVE your MVCreations COMIC-COVERS -Section!!! They are brilliant!!!!!

Issue #1 Comments

I broke down and bought all 3 covers at my local comic store today. I do not, however, regret it, as all three have exceptional artwork, and I feel that the extra money for the Norem cover was well worth it. I'd buy a poster of that in a second. Even the J. Scott Campbell cover, an artist I usually have issues with, looks quite nice.

Now, as for the book itself.

Fantastic. It manages to keep the feel of the animated series while being a little more sophisticated (particularly with Evil-Lyn) and well-written. And the art! My favorite part of the issue was the fire fighters dressed as Snout Spout.

The artwork was blissfully easy to follow (something sorely lacking in, say, Transformers comics) and very nice looking. The coloring definitely served to accent the intricacy and detail of the art rather than overshadow it, as I feel often happens in comics today.

A+, and I eagerly await the next issue. If you haven't picked this up, do so.

Oh, and if this should be in another thread, feel free to close this and move it elsewhere.

One final note -

The ad on the inside of the back cover for the new toys.

"Still kicking ass..."

Cought me off guard for a He-Man ad.

skinnypuppy
    Hands down the best 80's revival comic!!! The new Masters of the Universe Comic is fantastic!!

like everyone had already said in the other post, The snout spout costumes on the fire fighters were great!!!

I have only the Santalucia cover. i plan on picking the other 2 covers up this weekend!

JVS3, Great story by the way so far!!! Orko was great!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Woke up early today on my one day off from the stress of holidays, work and finals, just to head off to the comic store at 11am. Fist thing I zoomed in on was the new book, it was like mana from heaven. I leafed through the comic for a minute, gabbing about you guys, the on line homecomming comic and the .ORG, finally I sat down in my favorite game chair and read the whole thing smiling like a cat who just ate a canary, talked a bit more (the new chick working was also a he-fan and she read it before she stated to work)

well I think a round of applause is in order! Great job guys.
    The dialogue was good, very MOTU JVS3
    The only thing that felt off was man at arm's "heh heh", I dunno, maybe its just me but I read "heh heh" as a creepy, "Want some candy little kid" kinda "heh heh". It could be just me, but I think a simple "ha ha" would do fine...hey its the only thing I can find to nit pick The story was nice and introductory for someone who knows MOTU, but I don't think the average person could pick it up and understand every thing that was going on. I don't know what audience you are seeking. It could be a bit more introductory IMO, but then maybe that would just end up being repetitive with the cartoon*shrugs*

the art was perfect. i have had no doubt in Mr. Santalucia penciling the book from the first second i herd that news, and he has come through with the goods, what can i say besides draw justice leauge

the inks where nice and tight, never missing the ball that is Emiliano's pencils, and hitting it out of the park

the colors are nice and vibrant, what i have come to expect to see in modern comics (personally i just enjoy the look of something from at least a decade and a half ago, but hey I'm just old school like that)

The covers are great, of course on my budget I picked up just the norem, truth be told, it looked better on the computer. Maybe time has shown, and he is just out of practice, I can see the heart, but there is something missing, and I'm not sure what it is.

the JSC cover looked nice, i just wish he would get back to DG LOL

And emiliano's cover was great, a nice epic battel with all of the friendly faces we have come to grow up with and love.

I don't think even Mr. Norem can capture the masters as good as emiliano can.

a great job guys, I'm going to go read it for the fifth time in an hour

the fire fighters where great by the way, i wonder how many people picked up on that.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

JVS3 said that the original Norem painting is about 70 inches wide...no doubt some of that greatness was lost in transferring it to the comic cover...it looked a little grainy like whoever did the print messed up the resolution...But still I LOVE morem's work. I hadn't enough $$ to buy that cover (10 bucks canadian) so I got Emiliano's one...I have them holding a norem for me though.

Breath a sigh of relief JVS3 your writing skills rock! ESP if this issue was just supposed to be light and 'campy' I can't WAIT for the more serious books if you had reservations about issue 1!!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Ok, I got all 3 covers at my comic shop today, and I love it. The art is so awesome! The details are great and the colors are almost perfect. The story was also great since it didn't focus too much on one particular character and moved from place to place. Also I loved that the firefighters all looked like they were wearing uniforms that looked like Snout Spout. That was just plain out cool. Definitely much better than what Thundercats are doing with their comic right now.
    I like the C cover (Norem) the best myself since it looks a lot like He-Man and the Masters are more like savage warriors. Plus it also reminds me of the old artwork that used to appear on the old toys.

But I do have a little question, but it's about the covers. I was reading in one of the other threads about there being actually 5 covers to this comic. I bought the 3 covers at my comic shop and I ordered the Graham Cracker exclusive, but what's this Gold foil edition? Is this one where every comic shop only gets one copy and that's it? I was just curious, cool?

laters
    My Masters of the Universe Classics and Comic Book Reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gaycomicgeek

Lioncourt
    I can't comment on the artwork...all I can comment on is the story...and I relaly enjoyed it. Totally perfect for a MOTU comic IMO.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Its definitely a hot seller thats for sure! Says my comic book guy and the other 2 dudes in the store buying all 3 covers along with me.

`,,`,,`
    -=Evil Cunt Marz=-
    BlAcK FlOwErS!!!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Hmmm.... I don't want to rock the boat, but I think this post will be the first to have anything really negative to say about MOTU #1 But considering my record with these things concerning the toys and cartoon, that'll change quite soon...

But I have to admit to being quite disappointed by #1
    I think it would've made an ok issue #11 maybe, but issue one of a new MOTU to only feature He-Man in an extremely minimal role, as the fall guy for a joke just seems wrong. As does setting up Evil-Lyn as the "big bad", while belittling Skeletor.

For a #1; not enough He-Man, not enough Skeletor.
    It felt more like an Orko one-shot, than MOTU #1.

There was no exposition of characters or plot, so readers new to the world of MOTU, or simply reacquainting themselves with it could stand to be rather confused, bemused and liable to not bother picking up future issues.

Having said all that, the issue shows a lot of promise for the future.
    The style and tone of the comic seems to be almost just right. With excellent artwork and dialogue that would seem right at home in a Filmation cartoon. Within several issues, I think Val and Emil will have perfected the art of MOTU in comics.

It reminds me of how I felt when I saw "The Beginning".
    Rather disappointing, but showing enough potential for future issues/episodes to keep me interested.
    The MYP cartoon rapidly improved after the first 3 episodes, and I can imagine and really hope that the MV comic will do too
    Willum Bell - Part-Time Poster.

My Bebo and Facebook

In the Solar Sailor's Captain's Cabin, with a Powerful Princess ;)
    The story could have done with an opening blurb or first page introducing the characters, but for fans, it works out well, and enough exposition was given to explain the relationships without weighing everything down. The art was great (especially Evil-Lyn's white eyebrow, a nice throwback to her white crew-cut of days long past), and the dialogue seemed natural almost the whole time (Orko's flashback narration seemed a bit forced).

My only major problem? Sorcerer. Not Sorceror. I looked it up just to be sure .

Sea Hawk

Originally posted by Cringe
    I have to admit to being quite disappointed by #1
    I think it would've made an ok issue #11 maybe, but issue one of a new MOTU to only feature He-Man in an extremely minimal role
    How did "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" introduce He-Man to the kids?

Its always hard to get something "beginning"-type rolling, while mostly people try to make it seem like it already has a history, to which, we the readers are introduced by subtle hints here and there...

Ilovedit, loved it, loved it! I plan on going back tomorrow to get the other two covers, I picked up the J. Scott Campbell one today. I could have done without the Invincable preview in the back (I never read those...) and the "Still kicking @$$" add from ToyFare caught me a little off guard since I thought this thing was also aimed at kids, but...WOW. I loved it!

Wanting More...

I was really excited to get the comic, a quick fix until I find my action figures. I always wanted a He-Man comic when I was younger, so this is great I can re-live my childhood with this element in my life. I work at an Afterschool program, so I read the comic to the boys like a story book! Really fun that I can connect with my kids through He-Man.

The book opened up like one of the episodes from the cartoon, and I liked that feeling. I heard the background music in the back as the Terrodactyls were zooming through the sky.

I love the eternian symbols and writing, I am a graphic designer, so I look into things like that.n Orko is my fav, so I love his little self, and the Bunny looking Eternian animal is so cute, I want one! What's its name?

He-Man is a great warrior, I love the guy! Can't wait to see Castle Grayskull, and see what Evil Lynn will do! On the downside, I wanted to see more, not some crappy Invinvible It was corny and stupid, and I am so upset about it... a bad way to end a wonderful experience... please don't do it again!

I love suspense, trust me I do, but not for Invinsible man... you could have put him in the middle of the book. No wait, DONT HAVE HIM AT ALL! l LOVE THE BOOK THOUGH
    I am the center of my own Universe!

Glad to know where Skeletor gets his power from, question... does Shakarran Crystal power up the Havoc Staff, or does Skeletor use the power of the Crystal to power up the Havoc staff?

Also it seems that the circle in front of Skeltor's throne is his means of teleporting from one place in Snake Mountain to another, am I correct in this assumption?
    I am the center of my own Universe!

Originally posted by ShawnQt

Also it seems that the circle in front of Skeltor's throne is his means of teleporting from one place in Snake Mountain to another, am I correct in this assumption?
    Hey Val! I told you they were going to get it !

By the way...
    Thanks a lot guys!
    I'm so happy. This is really a wonderful experience. Reading all your comments and feeling you're enjoing the book is such a great... great... Oh, I miss the words!
    I can just keep saying thanks and keep working at my best, trying to improve the artwork as much as I can!
    I have to publically thanks Val for making all this possible and for his great writing (now that I've read all the 4 issues I can say that the mini is going to rock!) and for his beautiful, beautiful colors!!
    And a big thanks goes alsot to my wonderful collaborators: Marco and Enza... it's not just me, without them the comic wouldn't exist!! (Yes.. Enza is missing from the credits for this issue... someone had forgotten her )

um,, also sorry if this prais and thanks have sounded a bit lame, that's the best I could do with my poor English... but trust me friends... you made me very, very happy tonight!:o
    Last edited by Emiliano; December 11, 2002 at 07:57pm.

Silent Master Jerico the warrior's Avatar
    Jerico thinks...

it seems as we just picked up on any other day going on in Eternia, no intro. That doesn't bother me because I don't need one, I liked it. Plus, only babies don't know of MOTU. The artwork was great on every page. The covers are all so diff. from one another which is great. I like how we can see how diff. people see He-Man. The toon, comic, and toy versions look almost nothing alike. The story was short, reminded me of the Dreamwave G1 6 issue set. The first 4 issues were very short then #5 poured on the story, I am sure more is to come from already seeing the other covers. I bet you guys have been on all nerves all day today. You guys knocked it out of the park with this, a great start!
    If I advance, follow me.
    If I stop, urge me forward.
    If I retreat, kill me.

speaking from atop a pile of fatally wounded warriors

Flipsidephilly
    I thought that it was wonderful. It is doing good for the first issue. I'm not complaining about anything. Artwork, fantastic. Dialogue, great. It's good all around. I felt like I was reading a comic, not a blurb mimicing the show. I bought all three covers...and was wondering if the version with the gold foil words was rarer than the rest?? I was there right when the girl opened the box, and they only had ten of those ones. I bought two.