Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comic #3 - Official Talk Back *SPOILER WARNING*

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    One thing that really impressses me about the writing of this comic is how much respect is given to every character. Not as in every character has a plum role, but the characters are treated as people with personalities and motivations, not just as cliches and chesspieces. We see a lot of currents below the surface - Evil-Lyn's double treachery, He-man's slide down the slope of temptation, Orko's longing for the good ol' days when he had power and respect. That kind of insight is makes a story worth reading to me.

Re the blood - yes, it's startling at first. But this ain't no FCC-friendly cartoon, and there ain't gonna be no eat-your-veggies debriefing at the end. They're playing for keeps. For blood NOT to be spilled would be harder for me to believe. It's as fitting as Evil-Lyn's attempt to vamp He-Man.

Artwork - excellent as always. When I read something I'm usually critting it in the back of my mind, but while reading this I was immersed in the story. The bad thing about that is that the end came way to soon. "Hey! What happened next?" (However, I keep thinking that Orko must either be wearing killer shoulderpads or have no neck whatsoever.)
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

DarkDeaconX
    Originally posted by pidgerii
    I recall Dean Stefan saying that the Sword in the cartoon was to go to a person who had not killed with it, but he didn't mention whether it was a mandate from Mattel that it must be so. I can understand the need for this in a cartoon and a PG-13 comic but it really makes the idea of possessing a sword as his primary weapon redundant. Hell, it's like being given a block of chocolate and commanded not to eat it. If he's going to have that restriction put on him then why didn't they just give him the Cudgel of Power?
    Its like having a big mystical cork on the end of his sword. Its like taking that decision away, like he would if he could. Or maybe Ive been hittin the ambrosia too much...

Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    So He-Man was the first to bleed. Ay caramba!
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe

havocstaff83
    Did anyone notice that He-Man stopped bleeding after a while?

If thats the case, Im pleased. That was always my theory. I imagined He-Man could be injured greatly, but instatly heal. Or once he turned back to Adam, he would not have the same wounds.

Wah!

I haven't read any of this thread - but I just wanted to post this and whine. My comic shop didn't get the comics in because of the snow storms in the east. I know it's affected a lot of other people more directly and harshly... but that doesn't stop me from being bummed. Hopefully tomorrow I can join the discussion!
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Heroic Eternian Beekeeper Meta Ray Mek's Avatar
    Ay carumba! I gotta get this tomorrow! (Mom says she'll tak eme, but I don't want to have go anywhere when she's really sick...)

It sound incredible! Nnhhhh I NEED!
    formerly known as 'the parasite eve'

"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine.”

Widget
    This is probably just my weird imagination, but when He-Man told Evil-Lyn: All of the crystal belongs to me! (not totally sure on the exact wording) I couldn't help but read it as "All your crystal are belong to me!"

The only real critique I have about the comic itself is a question regarding the printing of the issue. There were at least a few copies of "Cover A" (Evil-Lyn) at my comic shop which had damage to one or two pages within the comic, while both covers were perfectly untouched. It almost looked like a stapling mishap, but on only those two pages and the damaged areas didn't match up. I didn't look through "Cover B" to see if something similar happened within, so YMMV.

Re: My Thoughts (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by zodak74
    Especially when Evil-Lyn tries to put the mojo on He-Man, implying she's looking at more than his forehead ( ) considering he's in a loincloth and not much else
    She always was a sharp cookie. LOL
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    I can't help but laugh a bit on how Evil-Lyn expressed herself with those words. It's just funny. I always wonder what the bad girls think about He-man, and it seems Evil-Lyn is attracted to him!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

This issue was awsome!! but, TOO SHORT!!! I guess it keeps us hungry for more huh? Anyway, Who's Ferret is that in the back?

Originally posted by Elc
    The only real critique I have about the comic itself is a question regarding the printing of the issue. There were at least a few copies of "Cover A" (Evil-Lyn) at my comic shop which had damage to one or two pages within the comic, while both covers were perfectly untouched.
    That happened to me with issue 2! I had to go buy another one (which actually helped me start my cover variant collection)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Originally posted by scar1321
    Anyway, Who's Ferret is that in the back?
    That's Drach, the studio ferret!

Take care,
    Leanne

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar

Same bat-time, same bat-channel...

What I wonder is why Duncan has to contact the King and Queen? Usually Duncan has no problem in going to save someone without having to notify anyone. Contacting the King and Queen just made me go "hmmm...?" Let's wait until the next issue to find out why. (Da-da-da-dummm!)
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Duncan still has to report to the King and Queen.

He can't move out a sizable offensive without approval.

What happens if he's needed and gone, taking important troops and equipment with him?
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Originally posted by JVS3
    Duncan still has to report to the King and Queen.

He can't move out a sizable offensive without approval.

What happens if he's needed and gone, taking important troops and equipment with him?
    Yeah!

When I was a kid my mom BLASTED me one time for going out without telling her...and these days the girlfriends do that too...Duncan is a well raised man!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

i finally got the issue (actually through a mishap I know own three copies of the Santalucci cover. Grrrr.... now I have to go tomrrow and get the Booth cover. Sigh)

Anyhow, the story was great. There was a great mix of action and character stuff. I think that overall the issues play better when read together then a separate issues. In any case, I really dug the Evil-Lyn/He-man stuff. I like how everyone has their own personality. It WILL be nice to see some of the other Masters in something other then background scenery in the next issue though. I think it's good to focus on a few characters in order to have better character interaction, but I miss seeing Teela, Ram-Man, Stratos and the rest.

It'll be interesting to see where all this is going.

As for the blood.... I don't know. It seemed oddly out of place.... but I think that worked for the story. I like how it was included as the story took a darker turn. Which is good. In a way, the blood sort of showed how the dark force of the crystal was exerting itself on the events of the book. So, it was shocking in a way - a good way, I think.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

The Champion of Light
    Well finally got the comic and it rocks... love it~ can't wait to see how everything goes down. The end is just proof why Skeletor is the evil lord of destruction and Evil-Lyn is beneath him. He was prolly watching her the whole time...

RichardX1
    I recall Dean Stefan saying that the Sword in the cartoon was to go to a person who had not killed with it, but he didn't mention whether it was a mandate from Mattel that it must be so. I can understand the need for this in a cartoon and a PG-13 comic but it really makes the idea of possessing a sword as his primary weapon redundant. Hell, it's like being given a block of chocolate and commanded not to eat it. If he's going to have that restriction put on him then why didn't they just give him the Cudgel of Power?
    Furthermore, as I tried to say earlier, this reasoning of Mr. Stefan's means that either our hopes for She-Ra are as wasted as anti-war protests, or that the Horde's effect on Force Captain Adora will be pathetically light.

Lioncourt
    You're assuming that Adora will be force captain this time. I hope she is, but I'm not holding my breath. Her disappearance may have nothing to do with the Horde.

I recall Dean Stefan saying that the Sword in the cartoon was to go to a person who had not killed with it, but he didn't mention whether it was a mandate from Mattel that it must be so.
    Actually if I recall correctly he said that the sword was to be given to someone who has never killed before (as in before recieving the sword) Hence the reason Adam got it and how the time of peace fits into it all. I don't think anything was really stated about killing with the Power Sword.

Fear is faith in failure

I'm not sure what has been planned for the world of the cartoon.
    But, a sword is a weapon. It's designed to inflict damage.

Don't be surprised if He-Man uses the sword in the comic to do just that.

That doesn't mean he'll be out slicing people open.
    But, it does mean the sword is more than a baseball bat for energy blasts.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    I for one am pleased there was blood drawn. Why would you even have a sword if you won't pierce someone else's skin? Great issue, Val and Emiliano!!!

We're all blood thirsty creatures, aren't we?

I'll confess, I love the comic. Its the only reason I drive 45 min to the comic shop.

The Champion of Light
    Originally posted by JVS3
    I'm not sure what has been planned for the world of the cartoon.
    But, a sword is a weapon. It's designed to inflict damage.

Don't be surprised if He-Man uses the sword in the comic to do just that.

That doesn't mean he'll be out slicing people open.
    But, it does mean the sword is more than a baseball bat for energy blasts.
    Thats good to know... keep up the great writing Val!

Originally posted by StratosMacca
    We're not sure yet if there will be a trade. We'll keep you guys posted on that!

Take care,
    Leanne
    Hey Leanne,

Nice to see you here. Loved the issue. BTW: Its Brent from the GOG list.

Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....