Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Comic #3 - Official Talk Back *SPOILER WARNING*

Oknark
    I just got both covers today, and wow (I like the Evil-Lyn one best). The comic is amazing.

I know some people may not want to hear it, but I love the fact that He-Man got owned. He isn't Mr. Invincible in the new line, and I love it. And the scene with Trap JAw holding He-Man's broken body put me in awe. I hope we see more comics like this!

It gets my SEAL OF APPROVAL!

tenno
    "...more than just a baseball bat for energy blasts."
    Thank god for you!
    I loved this issue. I knew while reading issue two that this series was going to keep getting bigger and better. I always thought of Tri-Klops as a master swordsman that could hold his own against He-Man for skill if not for sheer strength. And Skeletor at the end... Wow. My wife and I are hooked. I can't imagine how you're going to resolve this in one more issue. Bring it on. And while you're at it, bring on the next series. I don't want to go a month without He-Man.
    Best fight scene of the year!

In the Solar Sailor's Captain's Cabin, with a Powerful Princess ;)
    Well, once again, a great issue. The spelling errors we saw in the preview were still there, so that bugged me a little, but not enough to take away from my enjoyment of the book. I kind of wish there'd been some Easter Eggs, though...although, I bet those characters that Evil-Lyn incants are real words with just a strange font.

I noticed that Orko's colors changed to closer reflect the toy's scheme. On one hand, that's very cool, but I think he would look better if he were slightly redder. That's minor aesthetic stuff, though, and it's a non-concern with this beautifully-drawn-and-colored comic.

The blood didn't bother me, though the way Tri-Klops was posed in the panel where he stabbed He-Man seemed unnatural...with that kind of position, it looks like he slashed rather than thrust...his arm, I think, should have been positioned differently, though I really couldn't describe how. As for He-Man not cutting the armor, it didn't look like he was cutting anything there...the shoulder pad seemed to be dented, which implies to me that He-Man didn't hit the armor dead-on with the blade, but more with the side, or that something inside him fought against the Shard's influence and stayed his hand.

It seemed like the power boost Trap Jaw received would have been the perfect chance to use the Eternium again, so perfect that, as I was reading, I had to flip back to see if he'd eaten it and I'd just missed it.

The whole comic just screamed 'epic', and I can't wait to see the conclusion! Thanks again for a great issue!

Sea Hawk

I just got the issue today and really liked it. Nice art, writing, all that good stuff.

It did seem rather short....but I bet the conclusion is going to rock.

I'm also interested in finding out why Tri-Klops wasn't cut.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

Psychic Blood-brother Hemogoblin's Avatar

My take on it...

My guess is that He-Man is currently under the influence of the crystal (corrupted by it maybe), and because of that the sword is not as willing to obey him...which is why he's not able to slice through TriKlops armor like butter. If he were free of the crystal's power, he could probably slice ol' Klops in two...

And props to Klops for the backflip into the sword thrust...that was awesome!
    * "I think I'm going to gag!" *
    * - Skeletor *

snakeface
    I really enjoyed this issue a lot....the way He-man was seduced by Evil-lyn (under the influence of the shard) was nice.....as was He-man's battle with ZTriklops but did anyone notice how short Triklops' sword looked in He-man's leg? I loved the way Skeletor shows up at the end.....my only complaint....TOO SHORT......what a tease.......Bring on #4

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    I picked up MOTU #3 today (both covers)--OMG!! Freakin' Fantabulous!! MVC has managed to take He-man to a whole new level.. WOW!

Plus, we got the scoop on the MVC ferret..

I don't know what is more shocking about this week's comics- Tri-Klops and He-man's fight, or seeing Wily Kit and Wily Kat in Thundercats #1..

Dr. Omega

Heroic Warrior
    The sense of authority that radiated from Skeletor in the final pannel was electric. That scene was the single most impressive display of his preeminence among the forces of evil that I have ever seen.

For the better part of three issues, Skeletor was ignored as we were shown the depth of Evil-lyn's subtlety, craftiness, treachery, and power. She had spied on her master in his most secret chambers. In his own stronghold, she openly plotted with his closest henchmen concerning his overthrow, and all this without ever hinting that she feared Skeletor's reprisal.

Whether manipulating He-Man, or confronting Triklops about his timidity, she seemed to fully control every situation. Even when He-Man freed himself from his restraints and began rampaging about in a berzerk fury she displayed no surprise or concern. In fact, the only responsory emotion shown was annoyance, as she proceeded to empower Trap Jaw with enough strength to overpower He-Man and render him unconsious.

As Trap-Jaw stood before Evil-lyn, receiving the order kill a He-Man whose head was gripped firmly in his claw, she had never looked so imposing. With a triumphant smirk on her face, she magically drew the Shard of Darkness toward her outstretched hand, and we clearly sensed the power of this brilliant, beautiful and deadly villainess.

However, when the object of her lust was mere inches from her grasp, a more powerful force took hold, wrenching it from her control and into Skeletor's clutches. Up until now, Evil-lyn maintained perfect composure, always maintaining a cool serenity and self control even when facing down He-Man himself. Her complete loss of composure as her expression changed from surprise to panick reveals a lot about Skeletor. Before her now stood a force with which she could not reason, could not beguile, could not deceive, and could not fight - and she was scared.

Focus on the machinations of Evil-Lyn very effectively familiarize us with interesting characters while simultaneously providing an arena to demonstrate the supremacy of He-Man's arch nemesis without revealing too much of his personality. I don't care what others say about the sofistication of this comic book, this kind or writing which communicates as much through implication as it does through exposition shows great complexity and creativity.

And Skeletor is the greatest bad guy ever!

Bear
    Issue 3 was the best yet by far. I know this will not be the most popular oppinion but the first 2 issues were rather elementary and dull. In my oppinion the dialog has been a little rough. When I opened issue 3 I was half tempted to stop the series if it did not get better. I know there has been a lot of praise on how Evil Lyn is being handled but I just did not see it in the first few pages. I kind of felt like He-man was dealing with Queen Latifa.

Now that I have my critisisms out of the way let me say that the rest of the issue was great. Once He-man hit Snake Mountain I could not read fast enough. Finally I saw the He-man I always wanted. He had to depend on his fighting skills instead of just lifting a boulder or 2. Not only that, but Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops were his equals. HE-MAN WAS CUT!!! THERE WAS BLOOD!!! No more Super He-man. He is a warrior not a god.

The ending was incredible. The way Evil Lyn thought she was victorious as the crystal came to her. Then the look on her face when it passed her by into the waiting hands of Skeletor. I can not wait till the final issue of this mini series. My only concern is that it took more then 2 issues to get this story started that it will have to be rushed in the final issue.

RichardX1
    Originally posted by Dr. Omega
    I don't know what is more shocking about this week's comics- Tri-Klops and He-man's fight, or seeing Wily Kit and Wily Kat in Thundercats #1..
    Yeah, thanks to that final page in the ThunderCats comic, perverts can start making legal naughty pics of WilyKit

Bear:

Ahhh.. you are one of those MOTU = fighting individuals.

Nothing wrong with that.

I've heard multiple opinions on the dialogue.
    I guess it depends on how the invidual reads, or sounds out the dialogue in their heads in conjunction with the visuals.

I've read titles that I felt were poorly paced with odd dialogue. But others claimed they were fantastic.
    *shrugs*

Regardless, your opinion is appreciated.

Bear
    Originally posted by JVS3
    Bear:

Ahhh.. you are one of those MOTU = fighting individuals.

Nothing wrong with that.

I guess it depends on how the invidual reads, or sounds out the dialogue in their heads in conjunction with the visuals.

I've read titles that I felt were poorly paced with odd dialogue. But others claimed they were fantastic.
    *shrugs*

Regardless, your opinion is appreciated.
    And that's all it is is an oppinion. Which I might add you took very well. That shows you have a lot of class. By the way, my comic oppinions are definately not in the majority. I think the X-men are way over rated and that the Legion of the Super Heroes was one of the best books ever

Like I said the majority of the issue was great. I will be buying #4 to see how it plays out. I am not really a MOTU+violence type of guy. You might call me old school. Kind of a pre-Adam, mystical, barbaric sort of guy

memyself
    Just got the issue. Really enjoyed it Tri-Klops has been my favorite MOTU character since the early 80's mini comic, and this is the first time since then that I have really enjoyed any portrayal of his character.

Of course, as it's already been stated, personal interpretation is a huge influence when reading a comic. That said, was it just me, or did Tri-Klops seem hesitant to engage He-Man in more than a defensive manner? His comment "I can't hold him off forever!" seemed to imply that he had little interest in killing He-Man. This seemed to be backed up by the fight itself, as Tri-Klops fought a mainly defensive battle and when he had an opening attempted only to wound He-Man rather than kill him.

Of course, maybe that was simply the best shot he could get in.

Personally, I would like to see Tri-Klops continue to grow in this manner. Of all of the villans, I always felt he was one of the most honorable. In his original appearence he respected He-Man as an enemy, refused to kill Teela, Ram Man and Battlecat, and at the end, warned He-Man of Skeletors fianl attack. In this new comic it's still difficult to see what direction the character will take, but it seems already clear that it will be one with quite a bit of depth.

On the flip side, Trap Jaw was also exactly the sort of character I always felt he should be. Brutish, angry, vengeful, and opportunistic. But cunning in his own way. Very nice balance. Great stuff!

Evil-Lyn is being handled exceptionally well. I really can't say much more than that. Same with the sudden serious side to Orko. More of that and I may not hate him so much.

Now to my only dissapointment:

I loved the subterfuge of Evil-Lyn's, and was looking forward to this uneasy alliance. Of course, I expected that Evil-Lyn would betray He-man. So that was no suprise. The dissapointment was that it seemed rushed. What purpose was there to Evil-Lyn's deception? She spent so long convincing him they could be allies just to get him to to come to a room so she could attack him? She could have done that from the begining. There was no clear reason given for her betrayal. She could have used her magic to teleport him into that same room and imprisoned him there without spending all that time convincing He-man that she would help him. Don't get me wrong, I loved the interaction between He-Man and Evil-Lyn, but it seemd purposeless. In my opinion at least, It needed more space or a clearer reason to work.

I am one of those: MOTU=fighting individuals. As long as there seems to be a pupsose for the fighting and it's balanced with 3 dimensional characterzation. The whole concept is the struggle of good versus evil. Without fighting it would become very dull.

The best fights however, are the ones that sometimes take the longest to get to. Much like the one in the third issue. Without any anticapation, the battle is just anticlimactic. Minus my one or two complaints, I feel this is one of the best comics to hit the shelves in quite some time.

Evil-Lyn couldn't just warp him to the room... but, um, I can't explain to you why because... well, I can't.
    You'll have to find out later on.

I can definitely see where that makes the story leading up to that point a tad unnecessary.

Chris here...

For whatever it's worth, I thought the dialogue in MOTU #'s 1 & 2 was superb. I'm looking forward to reading #3 - hopefully by about this sort of time next week I should have it! (Famous last words?)

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I know some people may not want to hear it, but I love the fact that He-Man got owned.

Are you kidding....that's what I want to hear. Even as a child I always made the villains tougher then He-man. And now the comic comes out and does just that

Blue Archer
    No specific comments here, I just want to say that the comic rocked my world. I simply cannot wait for the next one. And I'm still drooling over the artwork... somebody better get me a bucket here.

Lioncourt
    Late as always, but I will say that the comics improve with each issue. Fantastic job MVC.
    I'm glad Skeletor made such a...uh...strong entrance at long last. I think it will have been well worth the wait.

Great job..terrific writing.

scerevisiaety1
    Not much to say other than to let you know once again Great Job! I really enjoyed issue #3. Each one so far has been very unique from the previous but they've all been good in their own right. Can't wait for the conclusion!

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Having watched today's cartoon after reading issue 3, I think Skeletor may want to re-think his "Tri-Klops is loyal" thinking...

Dr. Omega

Question to Mr. Staples about the coloring:
    Why are Tri-Klops' eyes all red? Emiliano went to great lengths to get all the detail from the action figures, and yet a very simple coloring scheme was slightly different, yet very noticeable. Is there a reason for this? I know it seems trivial, but, hey, we are all comic-geeks, aren't we? And we relish in the trivial stuff!

I prefer the different colored eyes on the figure, that maybe each color does something different, like one fires optic-blasts, another sees through objects, another has ultraviolet protection, another has cherry-flavor, etc.

I prefer red. Simple enough.

I explained it in another thread a couple months ago.

I think it just comes from my own perception of red meaning evil.
    I don't like the blue or green eye.

You could always say the eyes change color depending on his power. and he just happened to be using the same power on all eyes in the mini-series.

Keep up the good zhit, guys! You've made this He-Fan EXTREMELY proud.

Hiji
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

I prefer red. Simple enough.

I explained it in another thread a couple months ago.

I think it just comes from my own perception of red meaning evil.
    I don't like the blue or green eye.

You could always say the eyes change color depending on his power. and he just happened to be using the same power on all eyes in the mini-series.
    Thanks, dude. We have different preferences, but it doesn't hurt the comic one bit. I like your reasons about the power levels, but I like mine better on how each color does something different.

I tell you what: you keep one making Tri-Klops' eyes red in the comic, and when I become a prolific and award-winning writer and director making my live-action MotU movie, I will make his eyes as how they are on the action figure. Is that cool?

Sounds good to me!