Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Island - Official Talkback Thread

I thought that it had a lot of potential, it was one of the better animated episodes. Here's the thing, I really did enjoy this series but my overall feeling of it is that it was more potetnial than delivery, it introduced some nice elements I loved the level of danger from the bad guys, but they didn't flesh it out enough per episode to make things feel really big for me. the episode I consider the worst is probably to walk with dragons but again that had some GREAT animation and also introduced nice elements and a level of continuity (but they never got deep into it.)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Elder Councilman
    No no- I LOVED the new series, though there were several boring episodes.

I believe the gave the fans a show that was originally intended to bring KIDS IN. Face it- the show was MEANT for the longtime fan.

I'm just saying this episode was terrible.

And I think you mean Dragon's Brood; I wasn't fond of this episode, either.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    No no- I LOVED the new series, though there were several boring episodes.

I believe the gave the fans a show that was originally intended to bring KIDS IN. Face it- the show was MEANT for the longtime fan.

I'm just saying this episode was terrible.

And I think you mean Dragon's Brood; I wasn't fond of this episode, either.
    I loved the new series too, don't get me wrong, but I feel that it had more potential than it delivered on generally. my two biggest complaints with this series are the lack of depth to Eternia and He-Man wasn't the star. In the filmation series there were so many plots about magical artifacts and special cities and celebrations and temples, we really got to explore the different civilizations and cultures there - they made Eternia feel REALLY big even with the faults that the kid friendly and low budget factors brought to it. Sure Filmation didn't give much continuity and once we went to a place we rarely heard of it again (with a few exceptions) but they always introduced some cool mysterious elements. Temple of the Sun, the House of Shokoti, the masks of power, Darksmoke etc.

He-man in the new series was too boring, when he fought the action was good but I wanted some dialogue, witty banter or even some threats and such, but usually he just fought silently. in "the last stand" I LOVED that fight scene, but it lacked ANY dialogue and I really disliked that. a lot of folks disliked The Mystery of Anwat Gar, but I thought it was ok, if they had more exposition upon arriving to Anwat Gar though it would have been better, but MAA and He-Man just made their way to the citadel nearly silently, almost as though hanging out together was an awkward experience.

I meant To walk with dragons second season episode, - it's the episode that introduced the Dragon walker. that was my second least favourite episode, Deep end being the least. I actually really liked Dragon's brood.

I do have some serious criticisms about this series, but I do love it. the thing is what I want MOTU to be take Avatar the Last Air Bender as an example, it had a 3 season long story arc that tied everything together, they travelled the entire world and had tonnes of mythology and depth to the characters, even 3rd tier ones. mix that up with MYP and filmation and you'll have the MOTU series I've always wanted.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I think that what Lou Sheimer brought to the show was (obviously) missing from the MYP version. And that absence was what hindered the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull View Post
    I think that what Lou Sheimer brought to the show was (obviously) missing from the MYP version. And that absence was what hindered the show.
    yeah despite the shortcomings that filmation had, what they threw in to cover or make up for it was fantastic, MYP missed out on those IMO. the long background shots (BEAUTIFUL ALIEN scenery) the different locations and the mythology, they really spent time at a place and made that place a character in that episode. I think the Filmation series is unfairly criticized and written off. not that it doesn't have flaws, it DOES, but they did give us a lot as well. MYP upped the action, the seriousness and the animation, but they short changed on the depth of the world of Eternia and many of it's inhabitants IMO.

Fear is faith in failure

Elder Councilman
    I completely disagree. I think the MYP series blows Filmation's right out of the water. The animation was a thousand times better, and the storytelling was mind-blowing; it's not as easy to pick up on this, because it didn't last long enough FOR you to pick up on it. Also understand- we have a nostalgic feel for Filmation's, that we don't have for MYP's- because we grew up with Filmation's. MYP wrote their series FOR THE FANS- watch closely enough; it's for the fans.

Also worth noting- if only a few people did 50 different voices, they did a great job of doing 50 different UNRECOGNIZABLE voices. Watch the Filmation series- you have 3 voice actors doing 15 different voices...all sounding exactly the same.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I don't disagree that the animation of MYP is a lot better than filmation, but for me filmation had better artists. look at the scenery and you et a much better sense that there was more skill involved. Filmation also had in general better models in terms of anatomy but to be fair in the 80's action cartoons did try to be more realistic in their depictions of the human body than they did in the 90s and up.

Now the tricky part comes from the stories and the writing. I can't deny that filmation had a lot of toned down scenario's some cheese and a kid friendly agenda. And looking at that it is easy to dismiss it as fluff. but if you look closely at it and see the things they did leave or put in there - the potential and the depth of the world of Eternia was amazing. In MYP a lot of that stuff was just a set piece for a battle rather than an integral character in the episode, which for my money adds to the scope of Eternia.

In MYP Eternia felt like a small neighbourhood rather than a huge populated planet. MYP did a lot of good where filmation didn't but the atmosphere and the mythology that filmation gave, as well as the depth of he-man's character was lacking in MYP for the most part. it's not nostalgia colouring my view because I can see easily how MYP beats filmation, but I think that the simplicity and friendliness of filmation clouds a lot of people's view regarding the depth and mythology that WAS present in the series.

Again the biggest sin from MYP for me was making he-man more of a secondary character and taking away the chatter during battles. the fights and animation were spectacular, but we need some boasting and retorting in there as well. at least I do.

I really loved the MYP show and the filmation show, but they both have their short-comings sadly the other one excels where the other falls short. the thing is to me MYP had the chance to keep what worked great in filmation and then fix what didn't - for the most part they fixed what didn't and left out what did.

The best analogy is to look at the transformation sequences in both. filamtions was very simple contained little animation but it delivered in an iconic way. MYP had a lot of flash and movement but it lacked the emotional connection and delivery.

I'm definitely not one of those "anything 200X is garbage" fans. I love MOTU and for me the 200X designs are the definitive (he-man too except for his hair and his skinny build and the power sword) But I'm also a fan from back in the day and nostalgia aside can see past the fluffy things of old and realize what good there was in there - even in the movie.
    Last edited by krosfyah; January 13, 2009 at 11:08am.

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    I watched it again, for the first time, a few days ago- good lord that episode was an abomination. Dekker was the only redeeming factor of the entire thing...and to be honest, I think I now know who Clamp Champ's daddy is

Not sure if there is a worst episode thread in this forum (couldn't find one). But The Island was horrible.

I am shocked that Decker received a figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Not sure if there is a worst episode thread in this forum (couldn't find one). But The Island was horrible.

I am shocked that Decker received a figure.
    I agree with this completely. That's why he's not in My Canon or collection.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I agree with this completely. That's why he's not in My Canon or collection.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the character--although he wasn't anything to scream about.
    It's just that he only appeared in one epis. and what what I would consider a worthless episode. [SHIVER]

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the character--although he wasn't anything to scream about.
    It's just that he only appeared in one epis. and what what I would consider a worthless episode. [SHIVER]
    What annoys me most about getting Dekker is he has a second head and other more main characters got accessory short changed. I love the dekker figure but rokkon and stonedar should have their thigh bands if dekker can get new boots and a 2nd head that was never shown in any media.

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I can't deny that filmation had a lot of toned down scenario's some cheese and a kid friendly agenda. And looking at that it is easy to dismiss it as fluff. but if you look closely at it and see the things they did leave or put in there - the potential and the depth of the world of Eternia was amazing. In MYP a lot of that stuff was just a set piece for a battle rather than an integral character in the episode, which for my money adds to the scope of Eternia.

In MYP Eternia felt like a small neighbourhood rather than a huge populated planet. MYP did a lot of good where filmation didn't but the atmosphere and the mythology that filmation gave, as well as the depth of he-man's character was lacking in MYP for the most part. it's not nostalgia colouring my view because I can see easily how MYP beats filmation, but I think that the simplicity and friendliness of filmation clouds a lot of people's view regarding the depth and mythology that WAS present in the series.
    Literally cannot disagree with tis enough. Filmation Eternia pretty much looked the same no matter where they are on the planet, with about 3 exceptions. 200X's had clearly different and reconizable regions, no matter where they went, you could tell by the backgrounds.

200X smashes Filmation to pieces in every aspect apart from music, imo.

There's about 4 episodes of 200X that I don't think are as good as the others, while I find Filmation to be around 75% repetitive garbage. Same voices, same animation, same everything. Yawn.

Just to offer different opinion here - I like the MYP cartoon a lot and this is one of my favorite episodes ... but basically I like a lot all of them. Dekker is an interesting character with potential IMO and I am sure he would appear again if the show continued. I definitely hoped to see his figure in MOTUC and I am very happy with the result - but I agree that the second head is completely unnecessary and would be better utilized for a different figure.

Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    Literally cannot disagree with tis enough. Filmation Eternia pretty much looked the same no matter where they are on the planet, with about 3 exceptions. 200X's had clearly different and reconizable regions, no matter where they went, you could tell by the backgrounds.

200X smashes Filmation to pieces in every aspect apart from music, imo.

There's about 4 episodes of 200X that I don't think are as good as the others, while I find Filmation to be around 75% repetitive garbage. Same voices, same animation, same everything. Yawn.
    To each their own, I found so little imagination in the MYP backgrounds. it was too earthly. for me filmation places may have looked similar but it was an alien environment, as I said due to Lou's insistence on keeping everything in the US they had to recycle a LOT, but taking it for what it is, removing prejudices and putting stills side by side filmation was more beautifully drawn (imo) don't get me wrong I LOVED 200x I just felt it was missing what filmation had but it filled in what filmation missed.

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post

There's not, obviously, any such thing as a wrong opinion; but you aren't taking into account how many more episodes of Filmation exist. There's what? 130? So, yeah; repetition is expected with that many episodes.

Each did some things better. I find comparisons to be pointless. Filmation had a more interesting origin for Roboto; 200X had a better origin for 2Bad. I still say the episode was horrible. Clawful's voice is as bad as it gets

There's not, obviously, any such thing as a wrong opinion; but you aren't taking into account how many more episodes of Filmation exist. There's what? 130? So, yeah; repetition is expected with that many episodes.

Each did some things better. I find comparisons to be pointless. Filmation had a more interesting origin for Roboto; 200X had a better origin for 2Bad. I still say the episode was horrible. Clawful's voice is as bad as it gets
    As soon as I heard the "DAH" I slapped my forehead. they did so well making the villains more threatening and then Clawful's characterization just killed all their steps foreward. I don't think ANY filmation villain was THAT annoyingly STUPID.

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    As soon as I heard the "DAH" I slapped my forehead. they did so well making the villains more threatening and then Clawful's characterization just killed all their steps foreward. I don't think ANY filmation villain was THAT annoyingly STUPID.

Too bad George Lucas doesn't own the franchise. He'd fix it

- - - Updated - - -

Kind of makes you wonder why Skeletor would be employing Clawful when the other crab men were tougher and more competent

Except for the one that untied Man-at-arms and Dekker

Heroic Warrior
    1 out of 10 for you guys who didn't get Clawful's character. He was deliberately overly dumb because a plot point of season 3 was for Evil Lyn to cast a spell on him making him hyper intelligent.

Another broad angle of storytelling that Filmation never had

It was episodes like this one that lead me to want to know more as to why Skeletor's thugs & miscasts, where so dumb (Clawful, Whiplash, Beast-Man), when their Filmation counter parts where not. I was actually the one who asked Ian Richter about Clawful's intelligence and why he was so doofy in the new series, and that's when he revealed that plot point about Evil-Lyn casting a spell to help him and then he gets to the point where he almost overthrows Skeletor, and I am so glad I asked, as we may have never known!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)