Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Island - Official Talkback Thread

No disrespect to Dean Stefan, but is anybody else worried about the 2-part season finale? Personally, I haven't really liked any of the episodes Dean wrote, and tonight's was the worst. (The pilot was OK, and I thought Ties that Bind was actually pretty bad...)

Maybe he should just stick to editing, and give all his scripts to Larry DiTillo or Steve Melching.....
    Last edited by Skullface; April 5, 2003 at 09:53pm.
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Originally posted by FifthDream
    Hmm, Dekker is black, and is on an island of crab people... he could make a mechanical crab claw to battle them on their own terms and become Clamp Champ.. who's with me?!
    Iwas thinking more along the lines of his son or nephew becoming Clamp Champ.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

EternianFellow
    Originally posted by Skullface
    No disrespect to Dean Stefan, but is anybody else worried about the 2-part season finale? Personally, I haven't really liked any of the episodes Dean wrote, and tonight's was the worst. (The pilot was OK, and I thought Ties that Bins was actually pretty bad...)

Maybe he should just stick to editing, and give all his scripts to Larry DiTillo or Steve Melching.....
    My thoughts are exactly. I think they writers are definitely running out of ideas and this episode is good example why.

catslyn
    Originally posted by thew40
    Funniest episode ever. I laughed my butt off the entire time, except for when Duncan was gonna die, but other than that, it was really good. A nice little light-hearted episode.

Loved that ending. Something about Clawful and Skeletor standing out in the middle of the ocean for hours on end is just damn funny.

Something that MAA said that facsinated me, though. "I know sometimes I'm hard on you, but that's because . . . much is expected." Could he somehow be telling her that Sorceress is her mother? Regarding Teela someday taking up her mothers mantle? Just a nugget of speculation.

Good episode. Nothing to write home about, granted, but it wasn't too bad. There have been worse!
    ~W~

I couldn't agree more!

ryanj84
    Originally posted by Springer
    See this is why I'm not real thrilled with them introducing the races of the Char, we have had Whiplash and Clawful showed up by each of there races. Its sad when a generic member of said race is more interesting and cooler looking then the main race char.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Skeletor's minions should be the best of the best.

ladyisme
    All right, let the review begin I enjoyed this episode whitch is not that big a surprise after all, I enjoy the vast majoraty of MOTU. The show is your basic reunion gone wrong plot. It starts out as a fairly action based show, but then when Duncan gets hurt it becomes much more plot driven. It also seemed to work really well with the charaters they had, good character development for Teela, and some insites into what makes MAA the way he is. This episode shows just how true the saying like father like daughter is for Teela and MAA.

Random thoughts: Is it just me or has the sea put a curse on MAA? For some reason the jumbo jellys remided me of the story War of the Worlds. It seems that brains are a resessive geene trait in Clawfulls family. Speaking of familys, who would have thought that Teela is as reckless a driver as some of my own relations now THAT is scary!!

Originally posted by arbopharm
    i kinda like clawful's red cousin better than clawful...he even has control over those oversized jellyfish....who else is in favor of clawful's cousin overthrowing clawful for the evil enemy's crab position in skeletor's checkbook?
    My thoughts exactly
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    Originally posted by ladyisme
    For some reason the jumbo jellys remided me of the story War of the Worlds.

Then maybe everyone should have sneezed on 'em so they'd catch cold and die! OK, would have been a dopey battle scene, but then some of us like those.
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    I like this episode more than the Buzz-Off's Pride and Ties That Bind!

It has action, an origin and history story. I like how the action was done on this one.

The ending is funny! Guess they'll be waiting thier for a while before they realized that Clawful's cousin ain't coming!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Warrior
    Ok ep. I figured would be in the spotlight in this ep.
    Between the world we see and the things we fear. There are doors; when they are opened; nightmares become reality.

catslyn
    Please!

Does anyone have a pic of MAA in Teela's arms?

I need it!

Please post it here.

I honestly beleive, people are just picking episodes apart, for no reason. Most of the people complaining that this was the worst episode, didnt even give reasons.

I wonder what you guys are expecting?
    Every episode isnt going to be a classic, I don't even think this episode was even a filler. It was just a regular good ol episode.

A few things I loved about this episode:

*The interaction of Teela and Adam, and there sibling antics.
    *Wonderful that his mentor was Black!
    *Beautiful scenery of the Island, great artwork.
    *I love the cool designs of the Crab people
    *Evil Lyn helping Clawful, so so funny!
    *I love that Decker could hold his own.
    *The Battle with the sea monsters was great, very on the edge.
    *The scene of Man At arms about to die, and Teela interaction with him was pure classic... I felt the love!!

A few things I disliked:
    *The ending was just really bad.

Things I would have like to see:
    *I would have liked to seen a flashback of Man At Arms and Decker fighting in the old days. Seeing them cool out at Decker's pad would have been a cool scene.
    *Skeletor fighting!

I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
    I am the center of my own Universe!

Young Teela

I knew I reconized the art of young Teela. Take a look at Jackie Chan's niece Jade Chan in Jackie Chan Adventures, just a sightly different hairdoo and black and they are identical.

Decent episode though

Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Thule Warrior
    Originally posted by ShawnQt
    I honestly beleive, people are just picking episodes apart, for no reason. Most of the people complaining that this was the worst episode, didnt even give reasons.

Every episode isnt going to be a classic, I don't even think this episode was even a filler. It was just a regular good ol episode.

*The scene of Man At arms about to die, and Teela interaction with him was pure classic... I felt the love!!
    VERY GOOD POINTS.. I agree. I totally agree that it IS 'just a regular good ol episode'.

and YES.. Evil Lyn and Clawful had a great comic moment!
    Last edited by Thule Warrior; April 5, 2003 at 10:34pm.

Springer
    Oops accidentle repost.

FMT
    Not one of the better ones. It wasnt totally horrible though.

Mossman4life
    The reason Skeletor's minions aren't "The Best of the Best" is because they are Skeletors Minions! You take the best of the best (Evil-Lynn) and pretty soon they're gonna try to throw you out of power.

Clawful is on or near the bottom of his minion chain, anyhow.

I would love to see a giant Tri-Klops face turn in season two. He sure didn't appreciate that comment early in the show!

Tri-Klops? Working with the Masters? I'd be crazy enough to believe that for season 2.

The Champion of Light
    Sometimes.. even the greatest of writers can really f up an episode.... "The Island" would be an example of this. After watching it, I'll check and see because this so felt like a Don Heckman episode. After having the life sucked out of me with this one... I dunno you guys. Decker was lame; I liked Rohad better. You'd think MYP would get it by now.. MAA + the ocean/aquatic life don't mix. The ONLY good moments in this episode were the dramatic scene between Teela and Duncan.. THATS IT! Everything else was fodder. What a wonderful opportunity to spotlight Clawful or even Mer-Man.. hell why not both? They deserve an episode don't they? Why is MYP wasting their time with these pointless characters when we haven't even seen all the Evil Warriors at their best.. inspite of the new appearances of Two-Badd and Kobra Khan.. hell, even RATTLOR.. friggnin' RATTLOR got more air time then Clawful has. I'll tell you, in the classic series, I really loved Clawful but now, MYP has taken a beautiful thing and made it horribly wrong. Peace out.. the Island needs to sink. And was that even the same Orkus Island that Larry D. brought to life?

The Champion of Light
    Originally posted by ShawnQt

A few things I disliked:
    *The ending was just really bad.

Things I would have like to see:
    *I would have liked to seen a flashback of Man At Arms and Decker fighting in the old days. Seeing them cool out at Decker's pad would have been a cool scene.
    *Skeletor fighting!

I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
    MYP would love you dude! Check out my post... while agree visually it was beautiful; eye candy doesn't work on all and hell, I'd rather have ***** animation and a wonderful storyline ANYTIME!

arbopharm
    one thing that kinda bothered me about clawful's cousin having control of the jellyfish is that i tought that was mer-man's territory...that would be cool if merman would have confronted him about it....all the more reason to have each episode longer in duration to go into details about certain points....ive noticed that the episodes are getting shorter and shorter.....i tape them all, and they started putting mini-toons in the middle, or they just end really early...the one ep, i think buzz-off's pride, was over at 822pm...it really stunned me.....do you think that they are being pressed for time in releasing the new episodes so they cant get too far into detail because they are gettin backed up and need more time?...just a thought...the earlier episodes seemed to be longer in duration...and my vcr ticker is the evidence

well it was defenitly not a classic or a fave ep like last week thats for sure.however i dont think it was as bad as some of the other members of the board thought.
    i believe that they should have used rohad or perhaps they still will but maybe he will have a different story.
    i liked the animation of the ep great background especially when they were in the cave and the water scenery very well done.
    i loved that teela finally shows more that maybe she is wising up a bit more.
    nice action in the ep not to much storyline though except for the ending
    when duncan was dying teela and him really showed the love for one another and it was higly emotional and yes maybe he was hinting to his daughter how much he loves her and how much she will be valuable in the future.
    overall a entertaining ep and i will give it a 7 out of `10
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Positronic Man
    Frankly I didn't mind this episode very much, it had some good comic and personality moments (I enjoy those almost as much as story moments). The scene where Adam "needed some privacy" was pretty funny IMO.

There were only two things that bothered me:

1. When they were frantically battling the jellyfish monsters, WHY did MAA not use his laser gun?

2. He-Man's retrieval of the antidote for the poison was sorta vague.

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar

Anyone notice that the kid on the right is the same one He-Man rescued in "Buzz-Off's Pride"? Teela grew up, but apparently that kid didn't.
    Last edited by Slackbot; April 5, 2003 at 11:09pm.
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

lladnar the so-so
    if we took all the filler out of this episode we would probably end up with about 8-10 minutes of actual story. the story wasn't bad, just not enough of it. many things could have been expounded on, but were deferred for minutes of flying spikes (and Lord of Destruction is right about animals being immune to their own poison.) as some have pointed out, this episode proves why we all should vote for more story in that poll. i'm wondering if all the negativity i see every week in these talkback threads (excluding last week) isn't because the stories are bad, but because the writers don't include enough exposition?

Heroic Warrior
    lame. horrible. etc.

I was disappointed that MAA's "Teacher-At-Arms" (ugh!) was not Rohad, but it wouldn't have helped the episode if he was. (wouldn't have minded seeing Gwildor)

Plus it seems that Dekker (hey, Col. Decker - can we expect a MOTU/A-Team crossover??) has a bad "selective" memories problem. (couldn't remember what he taught MAA & what he didn't)

And "Randy"??? Please stop the frickin' insanity!

I would defy MYP to devise a lamer episode, but I think they're well-equipped for the challenge. (Buzz-Off's Pride, anyone?)

Of course, I've thought all the MYP episodes have been beyond lame - from voices (Clawful, etc.) to lack of groovy/memorable music, to storylines, to 16-year-old Adam, etc. Plus I just don't like the cartoon "style", as I don't for the upcoming Clone Wars cartoon.

The only one I've really enjoyed so far was Snake Pit, but that's probably because the Snake Men were neglected in the Filmation series, and because it loosely reflected one of the groovy mini-comics! (plus Zodac is human and possibly "Eternia-bound.")

Still, I have hopes for Sweet Smell of Victory - because Stinkor (who will hopefully appear) never appeared in the good series.
    Last edited by joe-or; April 5, 2003 at 11:53pm.
    ne jabba no badda!