Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Vol. 2 #2 - Official Talk Back - *SPOILERS*

Lioncourt

MOTU Vol. 2 #2 - Official Talk Back - *SPOILERS*

The next issue of Masters of the Universe will appear in comic shops on Wednesday, 30 April. Check back in this thread to discuss the latest installment of the best comic book on the market!

MOTU Vol. 2 #2

Skeletor's plans go awry, and his desperation results in catastrophic consequences. Can He-Man and the Masters arrive in time to stop Skeletor?? One hero makes the ultimate sacrifice to defend the honor of Castle Grayskull and changes the Masters forever!
    This thread will open for discussion on Wednesday. See you then!

9:00 needs to come, so i go pick it up. can't wait.

9 in the MORNING?!?! My shops don't get them till about noon to 3pm.

Flipsidephilly
    Mine doesn't open the boxes up till like 11:00AM. Ah well, I still have to take the bus and the trolley to get there.

just finish reading the comic and it was great. the back of cover A with the sorceress and teela is awesome.

Yet another excellent issue. Those who prefer story over action might be a bit disappointed, but all the action just kept me turning the pages, as it was necessary for the storyline -- it wasn't just action for action's sake.

Pluses for me included Evil-Lyn's bombardment of Castle Grayskull, boasting that she was overpowering the Sorceress. Whether or not she was right -- she may have been a tad overconfident in that regard -- it proves what a wonderful baddie Evil-Lyn is. I also enjoyed Evil-Lyn and Skeletor joining hands for the purpose of creating those rock monsters, which killed a few Eternian guards and almost managed to destroy MAA, Teela and Ram-Man as well.

There is still a good amount of violence and blood, as well as edgy language -- I got a good chuckle out of reading Clawful saying (about the Sorceress), "When can I carve up the witch who lives inside?" This version of Clawful is MUCH preferable to the "Duh, push the button" version from the cartoon. Liked the fainting-Beastman moment as well.

And this comic version of Skelly continues to be the most evil, powerful, and resourceful incarnation of him to date. In fact, this comic seems to be striving to bring out the full potential of EVERY character in the MOTU universe. Skelly's lackies are actually competant warriors against the Masters. Bravo for that. Seeing Two-Bad fell Ram-Man was a nice moment.

Nice continuity concerning battle damage for Trap-Jaw and Whiplash, even if it meant they were mostly absent for the issue.

Overall, A+ effort. I'm hooked.

Wakko

Heroic Eternian Beekeeper Meta Ray Mek's Avatar
    I'm gonna get my copy in a day or so... can't wait ta' read it!
    formerly known as 'the parasite eve'

"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine.

So no main characters died?

Originally posted by jaster_99
    So no main characters died?
    No, although the fate of one of the Masters is left unresolved -- it's the cliff-hanger of the issue.

Wakko

Nobody's died... I'm pretty sure it's just a shock tactic considering who we're talking about here. My thoughts? Maybe he's been whisked away to Etheria!
    BTW- surprised we're all showing restraint here...
    Good issue... liked the first one better, but I'm very much looking forward to #3 which seems to involve Stratos... not to mention the ad for Icons Of Evil #1 which has left me drooling!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

I loved it!! but man these books need more pages! and dagnabbit whoever wrote the letter saying that it needs to be more than once a month is DAMN RIGHT! the waiting is so long!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I cannot wait my shop doesnt get them in until 3:00 another hour to go

See you Latta!!!

Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

OMG!!!!

Okay, I just got done with Issue 2, and I'm completely BLOWN AWAY!! This is, by far, my favourite issue of either series of the comic book!

Val, Emiliano.... You guys completely outdid yourselves this time! The action was fantastic and fast paced, the story line developed nicely with a GREAT twist, and the artwork has left my eyes and mind reeling and lusting for more!

I wanted to post and congratulate the MV team for producing one of the best comic books I've ever seen in my life, and I cannot WAIT to get my hands on the next issue! Meanwhile, however, I shall content myself to dog-earring this issue as I pour over it many, many times!

Thank you so very much, guys, for the most awesome comic book series ever!

--Sak.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Psychic Blood-brother Hemogoblin's Avatar

Man

Man...5 p.m. is a long way away...
    * "I think I'm going to gag!" *
    * - Skeletor *

Son of Thunder
    Excellent issue! I originally believed that the artwork was the selling point for this book. I would now say that the story and dialogue are. Don't get me wrong, the art is beautiful, but Val makes this book a must-buy and is improving greatly with each issue.

I really enjoyed the alley-oop from He-Man to Ram Man. It's was great to see He-Man truly live up to the name 'Most Powerful Man in the Universe.' And I have to admit that it was nice to see the Masters (save He-Man) get their tails handed to them this issue.

What happened to Clawful? He got the jump on He-Man, and then disappeared. I like the mentally-challenged version of Clawful, but his personality sems different in the comic.

Speaking of which, it seems like Tri-Klops has a different persona as well. Much more competent, and more loyal to Skelly than in the cartoon. I prefer this over the 'toon.

Emiliano knocks another one outta the park! The only person he seems to have difficulty drawing is Two Bad. Being an awkward-looking character, that's understandable. It's just very noticeable when everyone else is near-perfect.

I might be a little slow, but it took a second look to see the final fate of the royal guards. This could've used a liitle more attention.

Finally, where did Man-At-Arms go?!?! As soon as this happened, I thought, "he come all the Etheria predictions!" I have no idea where he is at, and am impatiently waiting for issue 3!

SoT
    (whew!)

skins19
    Last month we thought it was RIP Mekanceck and this month dare I say RIP Man-At-Arms????

One thing I hate about this issue is that it was way to short!!! I want more pages!!!!!!!!

Overall it was great, (even if it went too quick). The back cover was breath taking!! It was better in person!! Awesome! The story was good, it had my boy tri, and teela in it so I was happy. I wonder what happened to MAA. I wouldn't mind him being absent for more than one issue. I think it would be a better story if he was. My questions are:

Will Teela blame He-Man?

Is the next issue where we get to see Teela and Adam's relationship? I think thats what Val said.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Well, overall I'll give this issue an OKAY rating.

The cover is fantastic, and the back cover was GREAT. More Baena please, if he can!!!!

As for the story... it was okay. There was some cool stuff. I enjoyed it for the most part. I didn't like the ending. It felt too old school. Of course everyone knows that Man-At-Arms isn't dead. There is no drama in this type of "Shock" ending, so why even do them? I don't mean to be all down on the book. There are a lot of great things - the dialogue overall is good, the nice character bits, etc. I just think cliffhangers like this should be avoided with comics based on licensed properties because obviously everyone knows MVC can't kill off a character in the book.

Now the artwork...
    This is becoming my big problem. I don't think it's Emiliano's work, but the printing. Every issue there seems to be some great artwork here, but the thin lines get totally lost sometimes and it comes out indistinct and it's just not much fun to look at sometimes. BUT... we get to Page 16 and WHAM! The inks seem bolder, the colors seem more vibrant. It's like it's a whole other book! I like the way the art looked there. It looks like the colorist switched there? Whatever they were doing really worked for me. That's not to knock Val's usual work on it, but for whatever reason, even the inks seemed to be bolder and stand out better. Perhaps they are degrading somehow in the program being used to color by Val?

Also, I don't much care for the coloring of Clawful. THe pink and the light tan aren't doing it for me. Perhpas a darker tan and a not so pinky pink?

In any case, I enjoyed the issue overall and look forward to seeing what is next. I think that we are extremely lucky to have the talent we have on He-man. It's a far cry from the Star Comics days! But there do seem to be some more room for improvement.
    Last edited by JonWes; April 30, 2003 at 05:09pm.

Bang your head!!!
    I love the close up of Clawful telling He-Man that he is gunna die. Great story and art. Keep it up...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    After the ending of this issue, all I have to say is "dimensional portals anyone?"

Art on this puppy was great, and the Beast Man fainting moment was funny. Skeletor's ruthlessness in the comic is interesting, it's a different take on the character, and I'm interested to see where Val takes it.

As for the story....eh, it was okay.....reminded me of all the old episodes where the Heroic Warriors had to race to Grayskull and stop Skeletor just before he got into it. One of the problems I had was that Clawful sounded too intellgent....come on, the guy doesnt even understand his own language and that I'm surprised that the Sorceress took such a beating like that...one would assume she'd just use the Mystic Orb to keep the shield up, and still have enough power to talk to He-Man.

Oh, and another thing I just randomly noticed...He-Man and Skeletor in six issues havent had to undergo any power-up's, etc that would lead to a costume change(aka Spin/Smash Blades, JA, SA, WA, etc.) Is Mattel not asking you guys to intergrate this kinda thing? Just curious....
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Heroic Thread Killer biggieboy69's Avatar
    GRRRRRRRR.........

Stupid comic book store didn't get any MotU comics in today. Now I have to wait another day!

Oh well. I'll live I guess

Josh

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Count Marzo's random thoughts on #2....

I loved it as well!

Two-Bad rocks the house. He is one of my favorite villains and the comic really makes good use of him.

Teela's bloody face shocked me. (Wind Raiders need seat belts or something.) Speaking of Wind Raiders, these comics make me FIEND for a Wind Raider toy.

Loved seeing the big stone monsters too! He-Man punching them into gravel...Reminds me of certain classic episodes!

Baena's back cover is sooooo much better in person. It's definitely very poster-worthy.

Teela's high spin kick right to Tri-Klops's mouth was awesome too! Great job there. She really caught him with the chin music.

I wish I could write a PROPER letter for the power page without swearing my ass off or kissing major boootay.

KEEP IT COMING! I FIEND FOR #3!!!!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Cover B- Orko is into graffiti At first glance i thought, what the hell are all those lines, then i realized Orko was painting on a brick wall. Pretty cool and unexpected. Is Mekaneck taking a peek at Orko's rendition of Evil-Lyn? And whats with the look that Man-E-faces is giving to Mekaneck?

I thought this issue was alright. I definitely liked #1 better. I guess i prefer more story to action/fighting.

Flipsidephilly
    I am so mad at UPS. They only got the box with the regular cover, and not the Orko/graffiti one!!

My comic story didn't have cover B too. I'm not that crushed by it cause I didn't like it in the first place.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.