Thread: "The Dragon's Gift" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

Hybrid View

"The Dragon's Gift" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

hello my friends.

This week I'm posting 2 ep's, I'm behind, sorry.

Ok, "The Dragon's Gift" (Granamyr) YESS he Rules!

Let's hear all your reviews on this ep.

Carlo

wow finally the first ep w the oldest and wisest of the dragons of darksmoke.

skeletor gains access to the royal palace in the guise of another lord.
    he had a statue of randor and when he went to grab it manatarms did and was turned it a crystal statue by evil magic

heman went to the sorceress asking for her help unfortunetly the reversal was beyound her power so she then instructed heman to look for granymyr but she couldnt tell them the exact location.
    so heman later was teleported to the royal library to look for where to find him. he said that he had just finished lookin up trolls and he said that dragons and trolls r friends and its worth checkin. then he pulled out a map and spotted where he could find him in the ice mountains.

heman battlecat and teela then went on there way they met granymyr and even challenged him and his magic and he was impressed w there courage and listened to what heman had to say. he later convinced granymyr that a gift could help convince him of past dealings w humans how granymyr felt were not appreciative. he later asked them to bring back skytree the only thing in eternia older so he can watch it burn in his firepit. heman and teela agreed and they went off to get him.

when they got to skytree and convinced him heman said that we cant do this and then when heman went back to granymyr and said another one of my fave lines in the entire series by sayin "skytree or any life shouldnt be taken away to save a life"
    granymyr acknowledged that and said "i accept this gift heman"
    he gave heman a magic book which had the information on how to restore manatarms.

i believe this is an awesome ep and once again its written by larry ditillio and he did a great job on one of his creations

its a fave and a classic i give it a 10
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Chris here...

Definitely one of the best episodes of the He-Man series IMO - it would probably rate as one of the most character-driven episodes, exploring the relationships between several of the main characters and also the character of He-Man himself. Granamyr is obviously a really well-written guest character who adds a whole other dimension to Eternia's history.

No question, for marks out of 10 I'd give this episode 11!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

love this ep! what do u think?
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

This was an excellent episode, and greatly added to the He-Man universe. It featured some nice character development, and featured He-Man truly struggle with a moral dilemma.

Skeletor's role in it was nice, as he did effectively curse Man-At-Arms, and did get away with out reprocussions for doing so. The curse was lifted, but Skeletor still made a good showing here.

Overall, I'd give it a 9 out of 10.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Yay, return of the classic episode review threads! Not only that, my first review is one of my all-time favourite episodes.

"The Dragon's Gift" is one of the VERY BEST episodes of the entire classic show's run. (How on Earth it didn't make it onto the '10 Best' DVD, but rubbish like "Quest for He-Man" did, I'll never know!)

Coming from Larry DiTillio it should be good - and he doesn't disappoint. I'd personally rank it as his single best written episode of MOTU.

It's nice to see Skeletor used as the cause of the problem, but for once does not dominate the plot throughout, instead letting it go in a different direction.

He-Man's moral dilemma of whether to cut down Skytree to save Man-At-Arms is dealt with really well, unlike some of the over-moral, over-preachy episodes of late season two.

The story is perfectly balanced between action (mostly in the first half, as He-Man, Teela and Battle Cat seek out Granamyr), and character-driven in the second half, as said heroes face their dilemma.

...And onto the best point of the episode - Granamyr. A wonderful creation, and perfectly brought to life in the episode. His mighty presence, and considering humanity as a lower, unworthy species, is really believable.
    Of all of Granamyr's episodes, this is by far his strongest. While the later Granamyr episodes were good in their own right, in some ways they detracted from the majestical appearance we see here - especially bearing in mind his parting warning to never be disturbed again.

While characters created for some episodes feel that they were simply created as plot devices, Granamyr (and Skytree) really feel as if they have a history to them that goes back hundreds of years.

The only thing about the episode that didn't feel right was the final scene, with Man-At-Arms suddenly back to normal. The scene felt a bit rushed, and the music playing behind it (the main theme) didn't suit the scene at all. But that's the only tiny niggle with an otherwise excellent episode.

The story was later adapted into a mini-comic, which was fairly good in its own right, but didn't really do the terrific TV episode justice.

Overall, 10 out of 10.

(And I'd just finished typing out my review for this episode and my computer decided to crash, so I had to type the whole thing out again, grr! Just thought I'd share that with you!)
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    I can't really give a review without repeating everything Spacedust just posted. I also give this one a 10! It has always been one of my favorites.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust
    "The Dragon's Gift" is one of the VERY BEST episodes of the entire classic show's run. (How on Earth it didn't make it onto the '10 Best' DVD, but rubbish like "Quest for He-Man" did, I'll never know!)
    oh man,

don't even get me started..oh well you just did..

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...7&postcount=42

Coming from Larry DiTillio it should be good - and he doesn't disappoint. I'd personally rank it as his single best written episode of MOTU
    Agreed!

plus house of shokoti 2 parter!
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Court Magician
    I loved this episode but poor old Granamyr, I think he could have used a better design. His little Viking helmet and those bandy legs under his pot belly, well that dragon was no Smaug!
    "When the sword of rebellion is drawn, the sheath should be thrown away."