Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Icons of Evil :Trapjaw" - Official Talk Back *Spoilers*

Talon fighter

Some insight....

Hello,well my son did not ask me to see the comic so i am safe..for now,I have some of my own observations and I love the darker motu but I am now feeling that this type of story should not have been told.I see Trap jaw differently now,not like the trap jaw in the first mini comic from our childhood(coming from another demension guns blazing)I think I like it better not knowing how trap jaw became,not knowing makes him cooler.I do not like this horid version,and things did not match up(remember the toon trapjaw has robotic legs,yet he has the same legs as kronis).i was siked for Icoe but am left disapointed please jvs3 do not let non motu fans ruin our mythos.

Prob the best Icons so far. A good exciting read and rather interesting. The cartoon always makes trapjaw seem doofy, well in reality a brilliant mind lies deep within

Poe Ghostal
    Trapjaw? More like Glassjaw! Ouch.

This issue and Vol. 2 #6 are easily my favorite comics from the revamped MOTU franchise so far. I was particularly pleased - in both books - with the portrayal of Skeletor (particularly in Trapjaw). I especially liked Skeletor's rather haphazard but effective method of dealing with the attacking army.

I did have one nitpick - I dislike "sound effects" (such as CRUNCH, BA-DOOM, and SKRRTCCH) in general. They're very "superhero"-ish; comics need to just accept the fact they're not an auditory medium. The effects were particularly glaring in Trapjaw. The beautiful shot of Skeletor giving it to TJ on the chin is marred by the sound effect (and THA-DOOM! is just the wrong sound for that kind of punch. It should have been something like the aforementioned SKRRTCCH, since an awful lot of bone is shattering).

Sound effects are a bit better if they "look like the sound" (like CRACK having cracks in it, etc.); but the generic, blocky white text in this issue was an eyesore. I think the issue would have been even better without any of the sound effects.
    Last edited by Poe Ghostal; September 6, 2003 at 03:29pm.

Heroic Movie Geek

Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

Originally posted by Buesefus
    I went to the comic store today and picked up IOE: TrapJaw. Let me say its just the same. The bulk of storyline and plot we were promised is just not there. Its ike the others, action panel after action panel, very little dialouge and leaves you feeling like you've wasted your money.

If anyone has any questions about it, let me know and I'll answer.
    I don't know what you read but I thought it was great, and not a let down at all. Money well invested rather than wasted.
    "I'm a rich kid with issues, lots of issues." -Batman

You're not completly drunk until you have to hold on to the grass you're laying on so you don't fall off the face of the planet!

Trap-Jaw's story is one of my favorites so far probably because his story has more closure to it. I enjoyed seeing him raise his own army and take initiative. It would be good to see him do some of the same things as Trap-Jaw as he did when he was Kronis (I am not sure Skeletor would allow him that much freedom, though). Also, this issue offered more background development of the Dark Hemisphere (How the Mystic Wall cut off trade routes and made food more scarce, for example) and offered what some villians think of the others (what Skeletor and Evil-Lyn thought of Kronis/Trap-Jaw). Two terms: Character and Setting Development, which I guess is part of what the comic does.
    Last edited by He-Fan2002; September 7, 2003 at 03:55pm.

Re: Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

Originally posted by Eternal_Newbie
    I don't know what you read but I thought it was great, and not a let down at all. Money well invested rather than wasted.
    What I read was a piece of drivel not work the $7 CDN I paid for it. I honestly don't know whats going on with people, maybe they feel bad having insulted the other Icons. But this is more of the same. Pages upon pages of nothing but fighting, no mention of how or why Kronis joined Skeletor, and a lame and tacked on ending.

I thought things were going great the first page or so, although I wish they'd have said more about why Kronis joined up with Keldor in the first place. But it was great hearing about the Dark Hemisphere and seeing that there's more there than just Snake Mountain and Skeletor's army.

Thats when it went downhill. Kronis is suddenly kicked out, then somehow singlehandedly overthrows an army. Kronis doesn't look strong enough to do this, nor has TrapJaw ever been portrayed as someone smart enough to pull it all off. There was no segway (sp?) between battles. Suddenly Kronis has a few allies, then thousands on the next page.

His army is driven away dispite being very powerful, and Skeletor easily beats down Kronis. Then he uncharacteristically takes him back in. That made no sense, Skeletor is a no-nonsense kind of guy. Kronis tried to kill him. It made no sense to take him in as an ally once again.

After paying $7 for this thing, it only took me 5 minutes to read because of the lack of any dialouge. The firend I was with read it, and could barely finish it. Another read it later that night and was surprised I spent that much money on it. Sad to say, but next time I'll just read Tri-Klops in the store and save my money.

The "real" comic is 10x better than the IOE series, I don't understand why one is so much better than the other...

Re: Re: Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

What I read was a piece of drivel not work the $7 CDN I paid for it. I honestly don't know whats going on with people, maybe they feel bad having insulted the other Icons. But this is more of the same. Pages upon pages of nothing but fighting, no mention of how or why Kronis joined Skeletor, and a lame and tacked on ending.
    I didn't like the previous IOE issues, but my feelings on this one doesn't come from any sort of guilt. If I thought it sucked I'd say so. No, it wasn't great, and the price in CDN we pay is a little excessive, but I found it satisfying because we do get insights to the character. It's in the little things. Nothing explicit, because when you have a limited space to work within and a life of history to choose from, action is the best way to tell a story, but there is insight into character there. And at least the action made sense. In IOE: Beast Man the action seemed excessive, and in IOE: Mer-Man it was pointless because of a lack of plot.

With the length restraints, I think IOE: Trapjaw did a good job.

Going into IOE, all I expected was to either see origin stories about how the enemies came to be or an early tale from their days with Skeletor/Keldor. What I desired to see is how these characters came to be the icons we recognize them as. IOE: Beast Man came close, IOE: Mer-Man was a joke, but IOE Trapjaw did it, at least for me. It's all about opinion.

To quote The Dude, "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

Well

I thought it was okay. I like how the stories in the comics are a little more serious than the cartoon. I liked the fact that Kronis wasn't just a meathead and actually challenged Skeletor. I liked the battle between Kronis and Skeletor, I even felt bad about how he came to be Trapjaw, getting pulverized like that.

However it leads me to question is loyality, since the cartoon versions of Trapjaw are totally loyal. The personalities of the characters in the comics see to be far different from the cartoon. I can't wait for IOE: Tri-Klops

However I will say that the thing could have used some more dialouge. I would give it 6 out of 10 stars. Just above average but not great.

Our Lady of Perverse Fic eideann's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

I disagree completely. I thought this story had a great deal to it, and I enjoyed it immensely. Since I liked both the other IOE stories, this has nothing to do with guilt or anything else. I thought it had a very good plot and interesting take on the character of Trap Jaw.

I do agree with the person who said it doesn't seem to be about the guy in the cartoon. He's kind of a dumb, doofy fellow who doesn't always "get" stuff. The only connection I can see between the two characters is in The Beginning, where Kronis is clearly portrayed as a war leader. When Skeletor is down, he's the one who calls the retreat. I doubt just anyone would be that bold; he must have had some level of authority for that action.

I don't actually mind this disconnect, though. It's interesting to see a slightly different take.

As for there being no real transition, if you look at each of the pages after Kronis takes on the first band of fighters, he's gradually building the army. I got the impression from the way it was done that this took place over weeks or even months. The first group was relatively small, and he overpowered their leader. In such a group, that's often a way to take over, as in a wolf pack. Challenge the leader, defeat him, you're the new leader. Starting from there, I can easily see how he could build an army.

There wasn't a lot of dialogue, true, but, frankly, there wasn't a lot to talk about. It was a very visual story, which is fine. In the space they had, they told the complete story. I agree with Divia that it might have been better told if it had been 2 - 4 issues long, but these are one shots, and I think they told it well in a short space.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
    Fred is a blind stoat.

There is no future in the past, so forget this tomorrow.

One-third of the Triumverate of Evil.
    One-half of Obvious Kidnappers, Ink
    Founding member of the 60-inch Club
    Founding Member of the CHICKS OF FANFIC.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

Originally posted by eideann
    I disagree completely. I thought this story had a great deal to it, and I enjoyed it immensely. Since I liked both the other IOE stories, this has nothing to do with guilt or anything else. I thought it had a very good plot and interesting take on the character of Trap Jaw.

I do agree with the person who said it doesn't seem to be about the guy in the cartoon. He's kind of a dumb, doofy fellow who doesn't always "get" stuff. The only connection I can see between the two characters is in The Beginning, where Kronis is clearly portrayed as a war leader. When Skeletor is down, he's the one who calls the retreat. I doubt just anyone would be that bold; he must have had some level of authority for that action.

I don't actually mind this disconnect, though. It's interesting to see a slightly different take.

As for there being no real transition, if you look at each of the pages after Kronis takes on the first band of fighters, he's gradually building the army. I got the impression from the way it was done that this took place over weeks or even months. The first group was relatively small, and he overpowered their leader. In such a group, that's often a way to take over, as in a wolf pack. Challenge the leader, defeat him, you're the new leader. Starting from there, I can easily see how he could build an army.

There wasn't a lot of dialogue, true, but, frankly, there wasn't a lot to talk about. It was a very visual story, which is fine. In the space they had, they told the complete story. I agree with Divia that it might have been better told if it had been 2 - 4 issues long, but these are one shots, and I think they told it well in a short space.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
    I guess I just don't see it that way. Kronis, having been thrown onto his ass outside Snake Mountain was not portrayed as a war monger. And with the lack of transition between scenes, the whoel army building procedure seemed to quick.

I also don't see how they told the complete story. What caused the fight between Kronis and Skeletor? Whats the reltionship between Kronis and Evil-Lyn? Why did Skeletor just take Kronis back like that? Why did Kronis join Keldor in the first place?

Too many questions, not enough answers...

Mr.Roboto
    This has been my only MOTU fix lately(Vol 2 #6 hasn't come out here yet ), and I thought it was pretty good. Better than the last 2 IoE by far. Can't wait for IoE: Tri-Klops.

Let me just say that I LOVED this issue. I'll post more later, but my initial response is:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And whoever that Chicago Horde group is.. dang, they're cool.
    This could be the end of the world.. of warcraft.

Our Lady of Perverse Fic eideann's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

I can see where you're coming from. I just don't feel the need to know exactly what they were arguing about, don't think it would add to the story that was being told, per say. See, I thought the story being told was how Kronis became Trap Jaw. It doesn't seem necessary to know just what sparked the argument so much as what it was really about, i.e., Skeletor's instability and his not being the same man as Keldor was.

I also don't think that the ending was so suprprising or "tacked on." I think it's just another sample of just how cracked the maiming of Keldor made him as Skeletor.

I do think it needed to be longer, don't get me wrong, but I think they compacted the tale well.
    Fred is a blind stoat.

There is no future in the past, so forget this tomorrow.

One-third of the Triumverate of Evil.
    One-half of Obvious Kidnappers, Ink
    Founding member of the 60-inch Club
    Founding Member of the CHICKS OF FANFIC.

Poe Ghostal

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Woo! Got Icons of Evil: TrapJaw early!

I also don't see how they told the complete story. What caused the fight between Kronis and Skeletor? Whats the reltionship between Kronis and Evil-Lyn? Why did Skeletor just take Kronis back like that? Why did Kronis join Keldor in the first place?

It seems to me like you want the origin of Kronis, not Trapjaw. But that's not what these comics are about.

What I liked about this comic was that, unlike the previous two, it actually gave us some insight into how the character became who he is, not what he is (i.e. a servant of Keldor/Skeletor, the disenfranchised ruler of a lost kingdom).

Vegor-Friend of Animals jakobinsane's Avatar
    Now thats a comic. That was the best icon by far. I love the other two but that gave so much insight into Kronis/Trap Jaw.
    Erie Americana Punk Rock
    http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus...20050215140632
    Saving lives everyday!!
    http://www.veganoutreach.org and http://www.peta.com

H.E.A.L. Human Earth and Animal Liberation

Heroic Warrior
    Loved it!!!!

Once again, the comics remain a bright spot in the MOTU revival. The comics and non-variant figures...
    ne jabba no badda!

Great comic. Much better, and much more relevant to the series than the previous Icons were. I like how Trap-Jaw is biding his time, waiting to turn on Skeletor in this series too, it really meshes well with the Shard of Darkness series.

On question, what did Skeletor blast Kronis with to make his head turn blue and eyes turn yellow? Was that a bleaching spell?
    I'm full of beans.

RadioBoy
    Originally posted by cesium

On question, what did Skeletor blast Kronis with to make his head turn blue and eyes turn yellow? Was that a bleaching spell?
    Skeletor always carries the magic bleaching stones. On Eternia, they are called Clo-Rox.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    This was a FANTASTIC comic!! It just works on so many levels.

I was iffy on the art after seeing the preview. It appeared to be a Byrne style with Jimenez inking. But I really liked Carlo's artwork. I prefer a tighter style, but his flow and camera angles are great. His battle scenes really made for an epic look and feel to the book. I liked little touches, like Kronis using the mace he had in "The Beginning" and the Centaurs and the human skeleton warriors.

The story was truly an epic on a grand scale. Mer-man's battle didn't seem that big, but Kronis' army attacking Snake Mountain reminded me of Helm's Deep or the original battle with Sauron from LOTR.

We were also given insights into the populace of the Dark Hemisphere, Kronis' tenacity, Skeletor's raw power, strength and flawed ego-based thinking process. This was definitely a book I had to read and re-read several times just keep absorbing the coolness of it. Robert's lettering was also just beautiful. Very powerful. It was like Robert was channelling Walt Simonson.

I'm not sure why so many have issues with him building an army. It never stated the time period, so it could have taken him a year or more to assemble such a large army.

Now, having said that, and still loving this book for what it is (taken out of MOTU context, it would still be a cool story), I do have some issues with it.

1) I have grown to like the CN backstory. It was simplistic, but it worked, and fit with the inept nature of Skeletor's minions. I can just see them botching a jailbreak and injuring Kronis in the process. From what we have seen of him so far in the show, and even in the other comics, Trappy is a none-to-bright thug. Here, Kronis is a calculating, cold and tenacious warlord. I don't like the fact that he is only in Skeletor's army to someday kill him. There is something that just doesn't mesh with the other characterizations of Trappy. It is discrepancies in personality, such as this, and the brutality factor, that tend to make the comics seem like they are from an alternate reality, and not the same continuity as the show. Plus, as stated previously, they are not accessible to kids. Kronis snaps a neck, Skeletor melts Kronis' face, arms and hands, and then breaks his jaw.. Not exactly a kid-friendly book..

2) Kronis' look. His helmet was Ok, and close enough to the finished Trappy, but his shoulder pad was different as Kronis. Also, I spent over an hour freeze-framing the Kronis scene in "the Beginning" to get a future Kronis custom to be as close to legit as possible. In the show, Kronis' legs were gray, but did not have cybernetic parts. When he was stranded with Stratos, it was pretty clear that his legs were completly cybernetic. This was never addressed in the comic. Did Kronis have other major leg injuries prior to this issue? A minor point, but important enough to me, at least, to make this feel like an alternate Trappy. With the CN backstory, this point could easily be covered.

So, all in all, a great comic? Yes!
    A great MOTU comic? Yes!
    A great MOTU in-continuity comic? Not so much..

Dr. Omega

Son of Thunder
    I'm in the miniority. I thought this issue was mediocre at best.

While the story was maginally better than the first two IOE, the art was lacking. It was lacking the life and vibrancy of the 'regular' series. As with the first two, I feel that the story could have been told just as well in fewer pages.

I wasn't that thrilled with ending. The current Trapjaw seems a little too loyal to have this type of origin. I though there was lot of potential in Kronis's speech about Skeletor's 'flaws.' I think the fact that he suffered a similar fate was ironic, and should have been played up.

Well, fourth time's a charm. The Tri-klops preview looks cool, so hopefully this non-series will end on a good not for me.

SoT
    Last edited by Son of Thunder; September 9, 2003 at 03:10pm.

i really liked the beastman IOE, Merman was less impressive but still very cool. Trap-jaw IOE easily blew the other two away. the art was lack luster in comparison, but the book was a cool read. poor kronis, i really felt his pain there. damn. we all knew it was gonna happen, but it was still surprising (to me at least) the ending was a bit blank, but with page limitations i'm satisfied.
    Last edited by nemesis15425; September 9, 2003 at 10:04pm.
    you can see pics of all my projects on my facebook page. facebook.com/don.schomer or email me :athf15683@yahoo.com

heroic master of pugilism
    i agree with you nemesis!
    i enjoyed IOE beastman, merman left too many open ties at the end. it left me with some questions ,wondering how he actually hooked up with keldor/skeletor? or why he just didn't try to rebuild his so called kingdom. all in all! i also think IOE trapjaw blew the previous two "outta the water"! i'm lookin forward to more of these one shot's, but i do wish that they would be more in depth.
    if you don't pay the bill the "LIGHTS" must go "OUT"!

Originally posted by caliking156
    i agree with you nemesis!
    i enjoyed IOE beastman, merman left too many open ties at the end. it left me with some questions ,wondering how he actually hooked up with keldor/skeletor? or why he just didn't try to rebuild his so called kingdom. all in all! i also think IOE trapjaw blew the previous two "outta the water"! i'm lookin forward to more of these one shot's, but i do wish that they would be more in depth.
    I agree--it totally blew the others out of the water.

iN fact, I think its one of the best MOTU stories ever written, if not THE best!

Living in Laker Village Uncle Dorko's Avatar
    Just bought it and read it. it is pretty cool. Kronis is an awesome villian, better than his later self. And skeletor had RAW POWER! he nearly destroyed kronis and his army in five min. Loved it.
    "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

Invisible Zombie
    I saw it today but i didn't buy it. I don't like the style of the artwork. It's personal preference.

the cover is cheap as well. i really like the way when Image changed the cover to a bit thicker paper... but cross gen just used the thin paper for the cover.