Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Icons of Evil :Trapjaw" - Official Talk Back *Spoilers*

Invisible Zombie
    sorry... i posted the wong thread. i mean the IOE triclops.

Pollex Christi
    This comic alone really turned me around on the character of Trap-Jaw. I used to just generally like his look but thought he was just a devoted soldier. However, this book not only reversed that but explained why that impression was supposedly in place.

I guess the one problem is then explaining his difference in intelligence. I like how he is "playing" dumb. However, perhaps there also was too much time between when Skeletor destroyed him and Tri-Clops revived him which allowed for his brain to rot.

A fascinating and tragic character.
    Last edited by Pollex Christi; September 22, 2003 at 03:29pm.

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    I have never seen any of the characters as being loyal... except maybe Triklops in THIS continuity. Evil-Lyn has always been self-serving, Didn't Trapjaw join Evil-Lyn in betraying Skeletor in the Shard of Darkness? Didn't he also join Beastman and try to take some artifact to augment their own power in the original cartoon? (My mind fails me, I remember Orko trapped in a box of some sort...) Whiplash is only there because his people don't like him. I think it was established long ago that their unions are all just "marriages of convenience."

I thought this was a great comic. The gratuitous violence was really great. The unseen, but heard, sound of the army leader's neck being broken was a nice touch. Even in the minicomic he was a criminal. I see him as a mean criminal, not a "kiddie bad guy" like Murky from Rainbow Bright. He stole Grayskull's power in the mini and he broke out of prison. In that one, Skeletor took him only because he could use him. Not because of his loyalty. They have a hate\hate relationship. They hate each other and they each know it. And I like that. It shows that evil is not all that great. Even Merman is there with Skeletor not because he has nothing to do with his days and wants to further the movement of evil... he's there because he has a greedy sloth with NO HOME!

What I wonder is if Evil-Lyn stabs Skeletor in the back really bad, will she be deformed. So far that's happened to Triklops, Trapjaw, and Two-Bad. Now I know why everyone shudders when Skeletor gets mad. They're afraid to wake up a mutant Lemur.

I wanted to see Trapjaw being put together like the 6million dollar man. "We can make him faster... we have the technology..." I wanted to see the Franken-pain and stitches... I guess that's more for show than for story.

Also, who says that he's still the same person after going through that trauma. He could've lost his IQ due to the confrontation. What's the best way to kill someone than to go and take away their intelligence and personality - take away what's between their ears? That would scare me.

And yes, I loved the scene where Kronis had no jaw. It was nice and creepy. I stare at it just to freak me out. Definately not one for the kiddies.
    Last edited by Razzbel; September 17, 2003 at 04:50pm.
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Lilena
    This is the way I see it.
    Art was great
    story was eh
    ending was great
    ol' bone head seemed super powerful though, I'd like to see him do that **** to heman.

This issue was enjoyable, but definatly didn't mesh with continuity for me.
    The story was rushed through (an no, it did not need several issues to tell, 1 issue is enough, it needed more pannels and less splash pages!) Way more dialouge was needed.
    It didn't make much sense. Trapjaw didn't seem like the same character we have seen everywhere else. Since when has skeletor been this powerful? What happened to this massive army that he had here? Why was trapjaw able to rally all of these towns together - wouldn't skeletor have done this already if there were so many good warriors in the dark hemisphere? And what reason did they have to battle skeletor - sure they were following Kronis, but they had no reason to battle skeletor, who i would imagine would have been the most feared in all of the dark hemisphere.
    Good issue, but didn't fit with the mythos.

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    Originally posted by Frankos
    Why was trapjaw able to rally all of these towns together - wouldn't skeletor have done this already if there were so many good warriors in the dark hemisphere? And what reason did they have to battle skeletor - sure they were following Kronis, but they had no reason to battle skeletor, who i would imagine would have been the most feared in all of the dark hemisphere.
    Good issue, but didn't fit with the mythos.
    You brought up some good questions, but some were answered in the story. Trapjaw was abel to rally the towns together because he pretty much defeated their leader and took them. He promised them food and shelter, so that was all they wanted. It wasn't very democratic-like.

Also, that one guy asked why they were battling Skeletor, and Trapjaw responded pretty much, "None of your business, just do as I say!"

Also I don't know if Skeletor would've done this. He had no WANT to do this and he also lacks a certain managerial flair that makes people want to stick around.

At least that's what I think.
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Originally posted by Razzbel
    You brought up some good questions, but some were answered in the story. Trapjaw was abel to rally the towns together because he pretty much defeated their leader and took them. He promised them food and shelter, so that was all they wanted. It wasn't very democratic-like.

Yes, I understand that, but my question is why didn't skeletor do this before. Surely with nothing much else to do he would have wanted to concer the dark hemisphere, thus making escape for it easier. Basically my problem was trapjaw showed no leadership qualities that were different to skeletor. So why would the men have followed him and not the big S?

Also, that one guy asked why they were battling Skeletor, and Trapjaw responded pretty much, "None of your business, just do as I say!"

Yes, but did kronis ever reward his lackies? Give them anything they didn't have before (apart from victory?) I just didn't get a sense that they really would have followed him to such a suicidal battle.

Also I don't know if Skeletor would've done this. He had no WANT to do this and he also lacks a certain managerial flair that makes people want to stick around.
    But he had a sizable army in this issue anyway. It would have been better if Skeletors tyranny was shown to be affecting the townsfolk of the dark hemisphere (as the story went they would have been more mad at MAA and the sorceress) and thus would have given them a reason to follow a rebelion lead by leader who promised them a new life (as opposed to just "I beat your boss now follow me!")

Just my take

I glimpsed through this comic in the comci shop.

my fav part was near the end when evil lyn, was telling him that she couldnt believe that he had begged for his life.

and trap jaw goes i wasnt begging, i was trying to strangle him.

Kronis as a fighter and general--too generic, like Divia said.

This is the one IOE I didn't pay for but read in the store since the others weren't up to par for me.

The last panels with Evil-Lyn had good dialogue and artwork except for the last page.

Originally posted by Quatroklops
    The last panels with Evil-Lyn had good dialogue and artwork except for the last page.

I didn't like how he quoted the godfather.

i don't have a comic shop near me and i just went to the mvcreations website, i was gonna order this on oct 15 but there is not an add button for it? is it available?
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Chris here...

Holy thread revival, Batman!

Seriously, I just got my copy of IoE: Trapjaw a few days ago (yes, really!) - normally I'm so late getting hold of MOTU issues that I don't bother to post any feedback, but this issue is an exception.

Trapjaw is the third Icons of Evil issue I've been able to snag - Beast Man I thought was pretty dull, Mer-Man's I thought had nice artwork but the ending was bizarre (I truly couldn't believe that was the final page - I remember thinking "So what was the point of that?!"). I actually thought long and hard before buying IoE: Trapjaw because it was a lot of money for me to get it. But in the end I decided to give the IoE series a final go.

The verdict? I absolutely loved it! Great, great story - I loved the homage to the Filmation episode "Prince Adam No More" in the opening pages, and the fight scene between Skeletor and Kronis was magic! The artwork just blew me away and the scene with Trapjaw and Evil-Lyn at the end of the book I thought was terrific. Could it have been better? A little I think, but on the whole I'd say it's by far the best of IoE comics that I've seen so far.

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Originally posted by Frankos
    Yes, but did kronis ever reward his lackies? Give them anything they didn't have before (apart from victory?) I just didn't get a sense that they really would have followed him to such a suicidal battle.
    But you have to understand the state in which they were living. Cut off from the light hemisphere, it was fight and kill or be killed yourself. The fact that Kronis could bring them victory, security, and peace (except when conquering other tribes) and establish what looked like workable communites and (I assume) some form of infrastructure (either by developing it or just stealing it from others) would be enough, I think, to gather a band of followers in desperate times.

His track record out on his own leading these people was 100%.....I think he could have gathered enough blind loyalty to lead an assult on Snake Mountain to statisfy his own thirst for revenge
    Last edited by RedBaron; November 11, 2003 at 12:55am.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

The story blew me away... and that final battle.... holy crap. I woulda thought that maybe Skeletor blasted his jaw off, but PUNCHING his jaw off? Holy sh--!!!

IMO I think Skeletor's first blast fired the skin off his face revealing green flesh. That also made his face fragile enough for that jaw snapping punch Skelly gave him. Just thinking of Skeletor holding Kronis like a bloody piece of meat was such a powerful image of why the Overlord of Evil is to be feared.

I do agree with the others. This is defintely NOT the same Trap Jaw we knew before. Ever since the first page that he was explaining how Keldor wasn't the same anymore, in personality and not just appearance makes him ALOT smarter then the one in the show. The cartoon version probably needs Evil Lyn to tie his shoes for him... so there's no way he could ever form his own army like that.

The cartoon version probably needs Evil Lyn to tie his shoes for him

Heroic Warrior
    Of the four IoE books, I'd say this one was the best. It certainly fleshes out WHY he's Trapjaw and why he follows Skeletor (which the Mer-Man book didn't really do for me). It also shows that Kronis is far more intelligent than he seems (at least on the cartoon). I liked that he stood up to Skeletor and is just as likely to stab him in the back again in the future.

I might not have enjoyed this as much if I hadn't seen the Evil Lyn origin in the cartoon last week. Knowing that there are some common ties among the villains other than just following Skeletor makes things more interesting. Ah who am I kidding...I've always enjoyed the evil characters more anyway.

This origin of Trap Jaw also ties perfectly with that Dark Shard story I read as well. Seeing why Trap Jaw is serving Skeletor makes perfect sense with him being so eager to betray him in the other story I read.