Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Snake Men" #1 (of 3) Talkback

"Rise of the Snake Men" #1 (of 3) Talkback

The issue will appear in comic shops on Wednesday, the 15th of October. This thread will be opened on that day to allow fans the opportunity to share responses and reactions to the comic.
    Also be sure to check out the main page for the he-man.org exclusive variant-cover!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Imprisoned deep within the bowels of Snake Mountain is the most evil menace to ever plague Eternia: the sinister Snake Men! Their escape now a reality, He-Man and the Masters rush to stop the horror from spreading! If they fail, no one – not even Skeletor – will be safe!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, this comic has me excited all over again about Masters Of The Universe!
    The whole comic has a cool mini-comic vibe to it, and although I love Emiliano's artwork it is refreshing to be getting a new artist's rendition of Adam, Teela, etc. I love the small fight scene in Zodak's temple (I like to think of it as Point Dread ) and just seeing Zodak's name in print gave me goosepimples. I WANT MY ZODAK FIGURE NOW!
    Everything seems on par with the cartoon show, and the comic dips a little deeper into things like the "key" which Khan used to open The Void in "The Snake Pit" episode. I like the continuity between comic and toon, which we did not really have during the classic line's run.
    And I love the MV Creations logo on the flag in the Sorceress' bedroom... nice touch!
    Last edited by zodak74; October 15, 2003 at 03:28pm.
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Josh of Greyskull
    I have to say, I haven't posted on the comic board before, but I have to say it was a great issue! I picked it up this morning at Graham Crackers (Downtown Location) and read on the train between classes and I have to say although it felt as a prelude to what is going to happen in the next few issues, the ending was awesome!Now it's my favorite of the new MotU comics. I also thought the "Etrenian Daze" was great.

This was a great read! It made me realize again how bad the Icon issues are though.

Several things:

1) Teela looks hotter than ever
    2) the Dragon Walkers are friggin' huge!
    3) Zodak's figure needs that chair even if he can't bend his knees to sit in it
    4) Stinkor's first appearance in the comic books, Yay!

Great story and great action. This book had it all! I can't wait until next month

Great story, although I sometimes wish that there wasn't an animated series to hold back the comic stories. This issue didn't seem short like most people describe the previous issues.

I guess from the setup throughout the stories that everything from Council of Evil works out with Skeletor's minions back with him instead of the Council. Not all that surprising, but it does mean that there should be some awesome fighting this Saturday.

The art was good, but I don't think that it's as good as Emiliano's.

Lastly it was great to see the explanation for He-Man's Snake Armor.

I can't wait until next month when the next issue comes out.
    "Never do what your enemy expects you to do" - Wheeljack - Autobot Mechanical Engineer
    Batman: YTB

Great story and artwork. Snakemen were always my favorite.
    I sure hope that snakemen will kick some major He-man/Skeletor butt.
    I almost made a mistake when I started reading comic book this morning when I bought it. At the beginning of the story I thought that was Teela dreaming but then I realized that was sorceress No small wonder that Teela and Sorceress look so much alike. And that Teela is daughter of sorceress
    All in all great story.

Son of Thunder
    This art did a good job capturing the feel of the cartoon. The story was good, but I felt like I was getting the abridged story...hopefully the cartoon will fill us in on the details.

Kobra Khan...I have a feeling he's not going to be the most loyal Snake Man..maybe he has big plans...

Eternian Daze? Did nothing for me. I would rather have more fan art.

SoT

I was so excited about this issue, that I had to race to the nearest comic book store on my lunch break at work. (*does lifting motion with arms* Aww Yeah! I supported "Buy a MotU comic" day! Aww Yeah!)

Anyway, I'm really geeked about Evil-Lyn's role with the Snake Men. I can't wait until Skeletor finds out! He does find out, right?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Originally posted by Tallstar
    I was so excited about this issue, that I had to race to the nearest comic book store on my lunch break at work. (*does lifting motion with arms* Aww Yeah! I supported "Buy a MotU comic" day! Aww Yeah!)

Anyway, I'm really geeked about Evil-Lyn's role with the Snake Men. I can't wait until Skeletor finds out! He does find out, right?
    Maybe...maybe not

Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Wow, I've been totally hyped for this issue since we first heard it was coming out, especially since I think the Snake Men are the coolest part of the MOTU universe. And now I finally have the comic.

wow..um...okay

First off, I really love how the Snake Men and most of Skeletor's baddies were drawn, especially Stinkor. But I REALLY was turned off by the look of everyone else. I didn't care for Adam's strange look at all, and Teela's was often either bland or irritating as well (though don't get me wrong, there are a few great shots of her in here). The rest of the Masters looked good, though. Especially Zodac.

Second. Wow, lookatme! I'm Snake Armor He-man now! (with tiny little blurb from Sorceress to tell us it makes sense). Alright..this was the biggest letdown of the issue. Huge even. I was expecting some sort of lead in to this awesome new armor, but all we get is a new look when he changes, before the Snake Men are even freed, and within a couple of panels He-man is just like, "okay, on we go!" It felt completely thrown in and..well...not good (at a lack for better words). Hopefully the show won't be like this and it was only done this way here to save time. I wanted to see the Snake Men come in, kicking some butt, tossing everyone around, and THEN He-man gets the new armor to battle them and make a comeback. ech..

Third. There were a couple of things that just felt weird to read. Maybe I just interpreted them wrong. When Rattlor fights Zodac, it sounds like he'd never met Zodac before that point, and yet he and Zodac already fought in Snake Pit. Also, Kobra Kahn now has the original Kahn's ability to shoot sleep gas from his hood slits? Is this in addition to the acid spit? Personally I found this ability a little hokey in the original series, especially since it came from slits in the hood instead of some mouth gland or something..which reminds me, Sssqueeze is shown in the comic with hands, and the cover has snake heads for hands. I wonder what the deal is there? Maybe he has special gloves, maybe they change into snake heads, or maybe his design was changed last minute. It was cool to see the reference to Kahn's medallion-thing still in the Void's gate, though. That was a nice touch.

Fourth: Eternian Daze was cute, but I didn't find it that funny. As Son of Thunder mentioned, I would rather have fan art, or heck, even another ad.

Overall, I DID like the issue. The Snake Men just rule, they looked great, Zodac kicks butt, and the first shot of Snake Armor He-man was awesome. All complaints aside, I am eagerly awaiting issue 2! I can't wait to see Hiss and his guys go all out on everyone.

The story in itself was very good, but I have to admit the artwork left quite a bit to be desired. Just not as good as the rest of the comics.

And gawd, what was with that crane neck of the Sorceress? Not to mention where were her wings while she was sleeping? I mean I thought they were a part of her, not just a piece of costume.

Finally, as per, my "report" (LOL), I have to wonder if this comic will be in tune with the cartoon in how the Snake Men are released?
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

For the most part, I enjoyed this book.

I liked the page layouts of the first few pages, particularly those done by Jonboy Meyers. However pages 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 all had that same blue-gray background which got a little monotonous.

The art was generally good. I particularly liked He-man's surprise when he found he was wearing armor and Cringer's reaction when he got shocked. I liked the significant look Kobra Khan and Rattlor exchanged when they were flying with Evil-lyn to Zodak's eyrie. Do they plan on disposing of Evil-lyn when she's no longer needed?

I really liked some of the background coloring done in this issue - the snowy mountains, the tree in Zodak's lair and the sunlight coming in, the Eternian palace that Adam looks back upon when he sneeks off to transform, these were beautifully well done. At the same time, they could sometimes make the coloring of the characters look unfinished. I guess this was done to make the comic look like an animated episode in book form, but it's not something I like. I like my comics to look like a fully rendered whole.

I don't like the lack of pupils in the characters' eyes. Don't like it at all. Looks weird.

Teela had some rather manly hands.

I wished there was a little more red movement-blurring when Zodak was hurling his staff around.

Whiplash's tail got pretty long.

The ears on the snake of snake mountain makes it look like a cat being sick.

I thought the issue was pretty well written. I liked He-man's surprise to find himself in the snake armor but he'd already been in his Ice-armor (or whatever it was) in the cartoon, should he really have been that shocked?

I was surprised not to read "Foolsssss" on every page with the snakemen. Has Mattel finally given up on insisting upon that?

I was a little confused by this: "I know all of the elders' mistakessss...and how to undo every one of them!" Logically, wouldn't undoing a mistake mean correcting something the elders did incorrectly and therefore mean permanently imprisoning the snakemen without any chance of setting them free?

I think maybe Kobra Khan should have "pored" over the legends and myths of his ancestors. "Stewed" or "brooded" would have worked, but "brewed" doesn't seem right and it made me want a beer.

All in all, a good issue, I'm looking forward to the next one.
    "Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave."
    Lord Brougham 1778-1868

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    It was a good start. I wasn't too keen on some of the art in the first section of the comic. I did like that the Sorceress wasn't as stoic as usual and that she looks so much like Teela. Even if it is just her sleepwear.

The Sorceress' explanation of the Snake Armor was reminiscent of how she called He-Man's thunderpunch backpack a "gift" from Grayskull in the original Thunderpunch mini-comic. Good one! I like that he noticed it and didn't just take it as a given.

I am sure that Evil-Lyn agreed to help release the Snakemen in exchange for her release from the Master's in Council of Evil II. She's such a wicked witch. But why did she suddenly disappear between Zodak's place and Snake Mt.? Perhaps conjuring up a believable alabi for Skeletor? "I was, uhm, cleaning my helmet... Yeah! Cleaning my helmet! That's the ticket..."

I have to go back and check on that MV logo on the flag.

It sounded Star Treky (but in a good way) how they needed Zodak's staff signature to open the gate, almost like a security code. Good move. I agree with Zodak74 that Zodak's place should be Point Dread.

Lots of likes... I did like Eternian Daze. I like something you don't have to think about too much. But hey, At least it's not Family Circus! Right? What's up with that family?
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

You know, I was looking at Eternian Daze a bit more and it really isn't so bad. I think what killed it for me was that last panel. We can SEE that everyone is going to kill Orko, they're furious and MAA has an axe. We didn't need to be told it like someone trying to explain why a joke was funny after it was told. If there was no word balloon there it would have been funnier, but as it stands it feels like someone who took the joke on just a bit longer than it needed to be and killed the whole thing.

Not too bad, it's only the last panel that bugs me.

I really liked this comic, Zodak's whole personality intrigues me. Why is he so quiet? I must admit, I was a bit taken a back by He-man's new armor, but hey that's because it's armour. I've seen it before and so that's nothing new but they way the penciler drew it. *Dreamy sigh* I liked it.

Again more with Evil-lyn!

Heroic Warrior
    This issue was great in my opinion and I found myself smiling big time to see Stinkor for the first time in the comic. While I enjoyed this comic a lot, I kept wondering if this is an adaptation of Episodes 30 and 31, which carry the same title (part 1 of the cartoon mentions how the Masters must face Skeletors forces while trying to prevent the SnakeMen from being freed.....and episode 32 deals with Skeletor seeking to punish Evil-Lyn for her betrayal, which originates with her line to Kobra Khan and Rattlor in Council of Evil Part 2). Or will the cartoon defer.

And Eternian Daze was really cute...probably what a newspaper sunday strip could look like.

I think I remember Val saying something about the comic being pretty close to the cartoon, with a few scenes embellished upon.

Yessss

Not bad for a first issue. I enjoyed it.

The writing was okay, not too extraneous and pretty much to the point. It is good to see the Snakemen again.

I'm really not a fan of the art. I didn't really like Meyers' work on pages 1-6, and, while Andie Tong's style lends itself well to vehicles, landscapes, and the Snakemen themselves, I found his approach to the people was a bit sloppy and inconsistent.

Zodak is very mysterious. I wonder if we'll get more info on him. Did it seem like he went down a little too easily? Maybe he's got something up his sleeve.

I didn't mind the change in He-Man's armour. At least we got some explanation. Hopefully the benefits of his new armour over his old will be followed up and explained later.

My only real beef with this story is MAA's decision to go to Skeletor. While it would make sense that Skeletor and the Masters should join forces, MAA seemed a little naive. He didn't expect Skeletor to shake his hand and invite him in, did he? Also, his decision to go to Eternia's most hated enemy seemed to be made far too quick and with not much thought.

Other than that, a good first issue!

I was VERY surprised to see Tony Grate's work at the end of this issue. I had no idea he would be published here. It was a pleasent suprise. I loved his work on "He-Man's Armpit". While this "Eternian Daze" isn't as risque as his other humour, it was still very funny. A lot of the humour is in the details, like the box in the fifth panel labelled "Grayskull's Secrets. Store in a cool dry Skeletor free area".

Good stuff.

I hope we see more of Mr. Grate's stuff at the end of the other Snakemen issues.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

I thought the story was good, but the art had much to be desired. I'll be blunt and say Jonboy's art downright sucked. I didn't like it at all. Towards the end, with Tong, it got much better. I still like Emiliano and Enza's work the best though.

The best line was "I guess sometimes a little change is for the better." I think that spoke volumes. Was that directed towards us, the fans? I saw Teela was giving Adam crap again. Has she done that before?

Overall it was good and I can't wait to get my hands on Nate's cover.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

what a great read.

dragon walkers are HUGE!!! the toy really sucks now compared to what it could have been at that size.

i did like all the plots going on. all the dif. angles for everyone.

loved the gas from kahn. how classic

i actually liked the explanation for the armor. it wa short,sweet and to the point. i am sur ether cartoon will extapolate and explain it in further detail for others.

i just can't wait till this time next month!!! now i really need my snake toys along with obligatory snake soldiers.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

man, i really enjoyed reading this comic! the art was awesome. he-man looked great and king hiss & the snake men looked fantastic!!! i can't wait until the snake men rise in the cartoon!!!
    No sacrifice is for nothing, if it helps other people. - He-Man
    Episode: Eye of the beholder

Market place feedback:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=mosquitor87

Member of the Arizona Mazters!

Originally posted by divia
    The best line was "I guess sometimes a little change is for the better." I think that spoke volumes. Was that directed towards us, the fans?
    I was wondering the same thing too.

And I forgot to mention the full page back cover ad for the MOTU Encyclopedia: Season One!

If that is how the pages actually look, with a few graphis, lots of text, a picture of the toy, and the character's vital stats, this thing is going to be really cool!
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

Heroic Eternian Beekeeper Meta Ray Mek's Avatar
    Oh, so Ghost of Vapor gets published and I don't? I see how it is Val... I see how your game is played.

That raging bit of jealousy aside, it was good comic. I skimmed through it at the mall today, but I'll go pick up my own copy tomorrow. I love Jonboy's art tho'. He will sorely be missed.
    formerly known as 'the parasite eve'

"Have killed many, Shepard. Many methods. Gunfire, knives, drugs, tech attacks, once with farming equipment. But not with medicine.”

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    The artwork is a little off for me. But there is an energy in the book. I give Val that much credit. The book is better paced too.

Look forward to the next few issues.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

snakeface
    I absolutely loved this issue. The art work was a little off and the dialogue a bit awkward, but this was my favorite one yet. I was so excited reading it. I feared I would be disappointed, having such high hopes for the Snakemen series, but this issue went beyond my expectations. It seemed weird for Man-at-arms to suggest teaming up with Skeletor as the masters first line of defense. Such an alliance should be the very last resort. I loved He-man's new transformation. Though I feel it was abit premature. He was going to prevent the Snakemen from escaping, not to do battle with them. But it looked really good regardless. The fight in Zodak's pad was great. Though Zodak seemed to allow them to take the staff. Evil-Lyn allying with the snake men was good to see. I hope her alliance doesn't end there. General Rattlor exercising dominance over Kobra Khan seemed a bit forced. They were making such a cute couple too
    King Hsss and the gang looked absolutely great. I love Snake Face new do. Sssssimply irresistable. I can't wait for part 2. BTW when does #2 come out???