Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Snake Men" #1 (of 3) Talkback

i really this one. can't wait to see how the series goes from here on.

Originally posted by eyeballkid72
    i love he-man, but comic book illustrations ARE NOT ART. they are illustrations. i have a b.f.a. in 'ART"
    Oh, is that what your professors told you?

Does a comic book not convey emotion? Tell a story? Take you to another place? Was it not technically crafted?

So I'm curious, what did your professors call Art then?

Really, just curious.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Just for the record, I too have a b.f.a. in both ART *and* ENGLISH, and have taken a few classes that involve comic books as a form of art. While I don't agree that the actual pictures in comics are considered art (they are indeed illustration), the comic book itself is definitely considered a form of art by many. There are still people who can't get over the idea that comic books are just superhero WHAM!BAM! kids stuff, and for that reason I don't think they will be officially considered an art form for a while. That's my 2 cents.

BTW, 50 points to anyone who knows where the sound WALLPO! was used in.

Art is way too subjective.

I don't see how an empty room with a chair in it can be a work of abstract art, but apparently others do.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

speaking of art

speaking of art i hated the art, drawings, illustrations whatever we are calling them in this episode. The sorceress looked weird with her 3 foot neck and not very pretty at all in the face. and he-man/adams face was just odd, especially with that power jaw they both seem to have now. I likd the story, but i seriously hated the "art".
    JANET JACKSON new album DAMITA JO in stores NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CLICK TO SEE PICS OF MY FAV FIGS FROM MY COLLECTION

I was only able to do a quick read-through, and didn't get to REALLY look at the art yet, but I gotta say that the story in this issue is AWESOME! I can't wait until I actually get some downtime tomorrow to sit for a good 40+ minutes and go through this book again! Great job MVC!
    This space for rent, apparently.....

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    JVS3, I thought we had this discussion about "heh" already!

I liked the art, it fits with the show a little more, not that I wasn't Emil replaced or anything, its just a nice breather to see others interpret the masters.

I really enjoyed the backup feature. But correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that something form the fan art section form a while ago?

I liked the nod to the original king of the snake men mini comic, king hiss's stance was very reminiscent of his very first appearance as he rose out of the void!
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    Originally posted by Baena

Does a comic book not convey emotion? Tell a story? Take you to another place? Was it not technically crafted?

Really, just curious.

Oooooooh Yeah! Sick 'em Nate! Fight! Fight!
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.com

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

I was very impressed with the issue as a whole. This is one of the most well rounded offerings from the MVC MOTU books thus far. I thought the story was very compelling, I loved Andie Tongs artwork, and the colors were tight. I marked out on the last page with Hisss & co. I can't wait for the next issue. It'll be interesting to see how they can fit this all into three issues.

The *wink* at the fans (change is good) was apprecieted.

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Originally posted by MOTUfan
    Now all we need is for Val to pencil in King Hsss saying "I wasss onccce a man" right after Leanne has proofread it and ok'ed it for print in a future issue. Then it gets printed and hilarity ensues lol
    Oh, it would have to be put in the comic after I'd proofed it... There's no way I'd let that in there!

Course, if Val ever did try it, I think he knows I'd hunt him down. And then the maiming would ensue...

Take care,
    Leanne

Really, just curious.

If Comic Book illustrations are not art then I suppose Rock & Roll isn't music?

I'm really curious too...

Check out my Custom Figures! http://www.jsunscustoms.com

Heroic Warrior of Avion

Really, just curious.

Thanks, Nate.

I don't see how anyone can look at comic art and say it isn't art. How is it any different than putting a pencil/pen/brush to paper and drawing a still life or a portrait? It's all a form of art.

I'm curious, eyeballkid72... What do you think of Alex Ross' art? Particularly his painted art. Clearly these are paintings of people he knows (judging from the reference he uses), so one could consider them portraits. But he's using them in a comic book format, depicting them as comic book characters. Does this suddenly make his works not art?

But aside from the whole "comic art isn't art" debate, calling these works "illustrations" and saying they aren't art just doesn't make sense to me. How is an illustration not a form of art? In my illustration classes in college, we studied painting, life drawing, design... The things we were taught encompassed a wide range of art formats. But you know, never once did I hear my teacher tell us that illustration wasn't art.

Just trying to wrap my mind around this concept...

Take care,
    Leanne
    Last edited by StratosMacca; October 16, 2003 at 10:07am.

Maybe there's a deliniation between illustration and fine art sure, but just to say illustration isn't art is down right ignorant.

To me there are subtle differences of when I do art for a comic, a client, or for myself. But it's all art. I don't care what your professors, who gave you your precious BFA, told you.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Evil Halloween Enthusiast Razzbel's Avatar
    Back to the story... I guess it did seem that Zodak didn't try too hard. I wonder if Zodak WANTS the Snakemen released. I know he wants to avenge his brother's death but I guess he doesn't want to be obvious by going straight over to the void and opening it up himself. The sorceress DID say at the begining that there was one possibility, but HE would never do it - she may have been talking about Zodak.

I guess King Hiss being exiled in another dimension\void is eating away at Zodak since his brother isn't alive and even banishment is still a form of living. I think Zodak wants to let Hiss out just to finish him off. That could be considered an imbalance of power, no? We'll see.
    You can have all of the toys in the world, but they're all worthless if you have no one to play with.
    My Tattoo | Gay He-Fans | Facebook

Originally posted by StratosMacca
    Oh, it would have to be put in the comic after I'd proofed it... There's no way I'd let that in there!

Course, if Val ever did try it, I think he knows I'd hunt him down. And then the maiming would ensue...

Take care,
    Leanne
    lol we all know how much you hate the GI Joe movie. I just couldn't pass up a perfect chance at saying that

Brent

hmmmm now watch I mysteriously get a VERY VERY damaged box from MVCreations
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Originally posted by galmorzu
    It does have a number for issue 1 in the top right, but not 1 out of 3 (which is what it is) as we might expect.
    I see nothing on the top right but the MotU logo, and the title. But, on the left I just noticed that right above OCT. there is a BIG number one! LOL, how could I have missed that!?

Maybe there's a deliniation between illustration and fine art sure, but just to say illustration isn't art is down right ignorant.

To me there are subtle differences of when I do art for a comic, a client, or for myself. But it's all art. I don't care what your professors, who gave you your precious BFA, told you.
    Right On!

Check out my Custom Figures! http://www.jsunscustoms.com

eyeballkid72
    actually my bfa is not worth ******. at least not in indiana. my professor was just some guy trying to make a livivg out of something he enjoyed. anyway, i think art should be really hard for the artist because everything has been done. is it easy to draw a model, yes. is it easy to draw he-man, yes. is it easy to put a chair in the middle of an empty room, yes. is it stupid to do that. of course. unless your name is andy warhol(who sucks!) mass-production of an image has already been tested as an art form. is the new mer-man bust art. heck yea it is! but a comic book?

i love he-man, but comic book illustrations ARE NOT ART. they are illustrations. i have a b.f.a. in 'ART"
    LOL!!

Where did you get your B.F.A. in "Art"??? Most Art Schools don't even hand out degrees under the title of Art. It's too general. I think you need to get on the horn right now to all the colleges and universities around the country and chastise them for teaching illustration as an art form... and don't forget the schools that offer specialized B.A. or B.F.A. degrees specifically in Illustration. ILLUSTRATION IS A FORM OR ART!

LOL.
    Last edited by chuc98; October 16, 2003 at 11:48am.

man-with-arms
    Loved the issue!! Can't wait for more. I really enjoyed the Eternian Daze comic too. I hope Skeletor joins up with the heroes, even if it is brief. I've always wanted to see him do something heroic, even if it's just to keep someone else from taking his spot as top villain on the planet.

eyeballkid72
    ball state(i know it is not a regognizable college) in muncie, in. my specialization was in photography. i mostly did black and white digital photography that was changed to incorporate my ideas in photoshop. i also shot and edited a few short films. i made one video and one photograph throughout my entire college career that i actually was satisfied with. i'm only 23 years old. as opposed to popular views of artists, i am humble.

Originally posted by galmorzu
    It does have a number for issue 1 in the top right, but not 1 out of 3 (which is what it is) as we might expect.
    Really? Mines on the top-left...

Hiji
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    anyway, i think art should be really hard for the artist because everything has been done. is it easy to draw a model, yes. is it easy to draw he-man, yes. is it easy to put a chair in the middle of an empty room, yes. is it stupid to do that. of course. unless your name is andy warhol(who sucks!) mass-production of an image has already been tested as an art form. is the new mer-man bust art. heck yea it is! but a comic book?
    All of these forms of art you named are just that... art. Albeit different kinds. But by your standards, because you think some form of art or another is "easy," they shouldn't be considered art? You consider sculpture an art form, so I'm assuming you think it's a difficult craft, but what of others who do it on a regular basis and think it's one of the easiest things in the world? Should they not think what they're doing is art, then?

It's funny... In my Human Figure classes in college, we had to not only draw the human figure, but sculpt it as well. It was a requirement to take these classes before I could get my degree in Illustration. And, come to think of it, in my Illustration III class, one of our projects was to create a sculpture. Hm... Now why would sculpture be included in an illustration program?

I'm thinking it's because all of these things are forms of art in some way or another.... Either that, or I have a degree in "fake art."

Take care,
    Leanne

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    Originally posted by man-with-arms
    I really enjoyed the Eternian Daze comic too.
    Cool. Glad you liked it.
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.com

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

anyway, i think art should be really hard for the artist because everything has been done. is it easy to draw a model, yes. is it easy to draw he-man, yes. is it easy to put a chair in the middle of an empty room, yes. is it stupid to do that. of course. unless your name is andy warhol(who sucks!) mass-production of an image has already been tested as an art form. is the new mer-man bust art. heck yea it is! but a comic book?

What?!
    I really hope you're joking.
    Art, in any form, it's always hard for the artist.
    It ssn't easy to draw a model, It isn't easy to draw He-Man. It isn't easy to put a chair in the middle of an empty room and say this is art.
    True, now that someone else has done that it's easy to say that it's easy.
    But, personally speaking, I'm a bit offended by all you it's easy!
    I officially invite you to spend a few days with me while I'm doing an issue and see if you can still say "it's easy"!!!!!