Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Snake Men" #2 (of 3) Talkback

"Rise of the Snake Men" #2 (of 3) Talkback

The issue will appear in comic shops on Wednesday, the 19th of November. This thread will be opened on that day to allow fans the opportunity to share responses and reactions to the comic.

Nice Art, Decent Read

Just got mine (and a bonus, but more about that later!) and I'm not let-down, but I guess some of the excitement was gone because I already knew what happened thanks to the cartoon.
    There are some differences, and big ones too I would say. The story is the same but the action unfolds differently. I think it's the action in the comic I didn't care for. Not that it's bad, but I was far more shocked when Snake Face unleashed his power, Mer-Man got shattered, and Skeletor was swallowed by Snake Mountain while cursing Evil-Lyn for her betrayal as the cartoon unfolded than I was here seeing Snake Face turn everyone including Skeletor to stone outside of Snake Mountain.
    Evil-Lyn's betrayal and siding up with Hssss didn't have the same impact in print as it did onscreen either, IMO.
    But aside from that I was blown away by the actual art and the colors. I love this guy's rendition of the MOTU characters and environs (I guess I DID like the battle between Zodak and He-Man in the comic more than I did in the cartoon, so each definitely has its merits!).
    I think a poster of the cover is in order because that image is an instant classic!
    Speaking of posters, as I was about to leave the comic shop I saw a little something just resting atop of a shipment that they'd yet to sort through. Being a tad snoopy, I picked it up and asked "Hey, what are you guys going to do with this cool He-Man poster?"
    The guy shrugged and said "Fold it up and give it to you".
    So now I have a nice fold-out mini-poster advertising the ongoing series coming soon: THIS FEBRUARY THE POWER RETURNS, featuring Snake Armor He-Man in the foreground with Skeletor, Hssss, and HORDAK in the background!
    SSSWEET!
    Last edited by zodak74; November 19, 2003 at 12:06pm.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Re: Nice Art, Decent Read

Originally posted by zodak74
    Just got mine (and a bonus, but more about that later!)
    bonus? ...most interesting..

I guess another thing I did not like about either the cartoon OR the comic is that for having spanking new special armor, He-Man is not depicted as being the most powerful man in the universe. I know he has limits, but I guess I was expecting more of this Snake Armor...
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Originally posted by zodak74
    I guess another thing I did not like about either the cartoon OR the comic is that for having spanking new special armor, He-Man is not depicted as being the most powerful man in the universe. I know he has limits, but I guess I was expecting more of this Snake Armor...
    i dont have the book yet - but hey at least the armour is acid/venom resistant he is the most powerful - not the most invulnerable

(believe me though i prefer the classic look to everything else but at least this variant has a story to it)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

zodak74:

Booooo...
    Your retailer was supposed to display that to raise interest in the title and MV's independent status.
    *sigh*
    Oh well.

Honestly, and please don't take this the wrong way, I think I am perhaps the only MOTU fan that ventures into this shop. The guys who work there know I am a He-Man nut, but they don't seem to hold any aspect of MOTU in high regard (this goes for the comic, the new toys and the vintage ones they have on display). They don't throw tomatos at me or anything like that... but I don't think either one of them "gets" MOTU, and so probably tossed me the poster because they didn't intend to display it anyhow (waits for the tomato-tossin' to begin from Val ).
    Last edited by zodak74; November 19, 2003 at 01:13pm.

I got the issue... the story of course wasn't surprizing, so it was really reliving it in art form. Not really much to say. Going to show the kids at my job the comic, they really like action, so they should enjoy it.
    I am the center of my own Universe!

General Rattlor
    This sounds interesting... Can't wait to pick up mine! But if what you say about Snake Face is true, then I am going to be a little dissappointed! I mean that was one of the coolest parts of The Rise of The Snake Men episodes! If not the most contraversial (with the whole Mer-Man thing)! And the part with Skeletor actually being consumed by Snake Mountain I thought was key because it revealed more of its secrets(booby traps) that are only accessible by its original ruler(creator?) King Hiss. Plus it enabled us to get a really cool shot of Skeletor when he returned! You know where he crawled up from the "belly" of Snake Mountain? I just hope Stinkor's fight scenes are as good!Check out my thread, "ROTSM toon OR comic", in the new cartoon forum! So sez The General!

I dont know why people view the Snake Face incident as a shock because its different, Val said if I remember that the part where Mer-Man gets cracked was not in the script he saw, therefore it should not be expected to be in the comic

Silent Master Jerico the warrior's Avatar

my thoughts

The only problem with this comic is that we go in knowing what happens. With the exception of a few characters reading other people’s lines from the cartoon, we have seen it. But it is a nice piece of eye candy. Zodak’s attitude came through a little more mainly due to a few more (different) lines in the comic then the cartoon. Skeletor turning to stone kind of made me mad, some lackey of Hsss should be able to effect someone as strong as Skeletor.
    If I advance, follow me.
    If I stop, urge me forward.
    If I retreat, kill me.

speaking from atop a pile of fatally wounded warriors

i really like that this comic can mesh with the cartoon but also at the same time be independant. take for instance where the evil warriors and the snake men fight. good job and keep it coming.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

hmmmm, being the only MOTU fan at my comic shop and the only girl who ventures in wearing tight, low cut shirts, I wonder if I will be able to get that poster.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

All in all, I liked the comic. Is it my favorite...no. I will be happy once the comic breaks back away from following the cartoon storyline. What happened in the comic was too predictable. I was hoping that a few different scenes would be shown that weren't touched on in the cartoon. But, when I went into the comic store, there were only a few more copies of ROTSM #2 left... so maybe sales will be good for this issue too! I was also surprised to find "the Power of Fear" sitting on the rack!! My store usually only orders the regular issues of MotU. It was the last copy they had... so I snapped that one up!! I'm sorry, I can't wait for Emiliano to take back over with pencils!!! It's been nice seeing another artists take on the characters, but i miss Emiliano's work. Power of Fear is a nice "tide me over" type issue until February!!

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar

it's the same tale....only different

Hmmm.....problem with adaptations is you end up comparing them

Liked: Zodac's a little more vocal here about "hey, I want revenege". I really like the art, it fits with the new toyline and toon, and connectivity is good The He-Man/Zodac battle was kick butt too, can't wait to see the Sorceress/King Hiss battle next issue.

Disliked:
    I really didnt like the capture of the Evil Warriors. It felt too rushed here, and while I understand what you read in the script may not always be what ends up on the TV Val, I thought it was more dramatic to see the whole bit with Mer Man shattered, and Skeletor "eaten". Plus, in the toon, Skeletor even pointed out Snake Face's powers won't work on him(no eyes and all), but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to push the story ahead.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

To be honest, I'm really glad that Val and company are going off in another direction with the story once the first half of this season is over. Can there be such a thing as too much continuity between the cartoon and comic? That's sorta how I've been feeling with this Rise of the Snake Men series. Sometimes I wanna read a comic, and be like: "What was that all about?" or "I wonder why the story is veering off in that weird direction."
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

In general I liked this. Some places the artwork really bugged me, namely Skeletor whenever he showed up, but mostly it was really pretty good.

Only think that still gets on my nerves is Kahn shooting that stupid sleep gas from his hood..why? That was the old Kahn, I want to see the acid venom that the new one has! Not the "child-safe" sleep gas from hood slits that makes no sense..

But overall, good stuff. I'm looking forward to issue 3!

(BTW, the shot of the snake armies leaving Snake Mountain was incredible. Very well done page there)
    Last edited by Galmorzu; November 19, 2003 at 05:00pm.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Usually I run tp my comic shop right before my noon class, but didn't go today, so I just now went to the comic shop and my ******* comic shop guy sold out before he puled my books

The good news is that #2 sold more then #1, well good for JVS3, not for me

HeManOfGreyskull:

That's weird.
    In the scripts we have, Skeletor DOES get turned to stone.
    He puts his face down and tries to act defiant. But then Evil-Lyn says "He has no eyelids"
    So they hold him up and Snake Face turns him to stone.
    *shrugs*

zodak74:

That's a real bummer.
    They don't order any of our books?
    The back of the poster is info for customers so they can order issues they may have missed.
    It was intended to be a window poster.

But, I know some retailers will give it away and/or sell it.
    I just hope some put it up to promote our titles.

Yeah our comic shop was down to its last few copies and I went 3 hours after they opened.

I have to say I love the last page of the comic, the snakemen army would make an awesome poster

Sure would! I would just love a poster showcasing each of the main snakemen personally.

I think it should've went another way.....at least one aspect of it. Instead of Evil-Lyn threatened with death, Hsss should take her as a bride. (He's been away a LONG time). Of course she would accept this, making her Queen. But then, Hsss discovers Teela, and doesn't want Evil-Lyn anymore (which would tie in the Toyfare exclusive) and Lyn would hate Teela even more.

I actually thought the Masters were being a little on the jerk side before Zodak snapped. Why would you doubt a cosmic enforcer and talk to him like that? I'd hit them with a concussion blast too.

Pions.

I liked how the Masters got their butts kicked. Shows that being good doesn't always mean you win.

My comic shop didn't get any new issues of anything in today for some reason. Maybe the whether delayed shipment.

I'll have to go tomorrow.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Val,
    Not that it matters, but the toon had this happen:

Skeletor and co go to the throne room and gloat, finding Hiss in the throne, outraging Skeletor. the Snake Army surrounds the villians, and Skeletor raises his staff against Hiss. In response Hiss morphs, places his snake hands on the two stone snakes on the sides of the throne, they come to life and grab Skeletor and Hiss steals the Havok Staff. Snake Face begins to turn everyone to stone, and Skeletor says "You can't turn me to stone, my eyes are closed. Evil-Lyn comments to Hiss "He has no eyes." Hiss then has the floor come to life and a snake eats Skeletor and he screams as it swallows him whole.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

I feel sorry for you guys who didn;t get it because your shop sold out. I figured all shops did like mine does and pulls the reserve stuff before putting it on the shelf.

It's interesting how many small things changed from the early script that Val based the story off of, and the final cartoon version. It is like we get the original cut with the comic.

Hopefully we won't get the same lemmings ending that the cartoon had.

I think that I have preferred the comic to the cartoon so far, even though the caroon already ended. Next time you guys might want to see if you can get away with a weekly run to get the comics out closer to the cartoon airing.

Then you can take a long vacation from pushing yourselves. I guess I can settle for your ability to get the cooomic out when you say, which is better than most companies can do.
    "Never do what your enemy expects you to do" - Wheeljack - Autobot Mechanical Engineer
    Batman: YTB