Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Snake Men" #2 (of 3) Talkback

Wierd, my comic shop said he was short packed with the Snakemen comic, fortunately for me he pulls the holds before it goes on the racks.

There weren't any on the racks.
    Glad I got mine.
    I didn't see the poster.

Nice work Val and team! Love Jeremy's colors! I hope he's a keeper. I miss Tony's work though.

And sorry to all the Zombie fans (add in the back), Otis' hair and skin have been adjusted to his regular albino self for the final cover. :o
    That's what I get for not watching 1,000 corpses.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Son of Thunder
    Another great showing from MVC!

I was particularly happy with the dialogue between He-Man and Zodak. Zodak's motive and He-Man's anger weren't portrayed as strongly in the cartoon as they were in the comic.

I'm starting to like the parallel continuities between the show and the book. It's good that Clawful appears a bit smarter than his animated counterpart (although I also think the idiot Clawful is funny).

SoT

i love the art work and story(even though we have seen it in the catoon), my only real issue is that we will not see any MOTU vs SM, until the 3rd and last issue, which means the fight will be quick(but im sure good at the same time) oh well i love it and keep up the good work Val and company
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Oh but there's that fight between Hsss and Sorceress.

That's gonna be in there right Val?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

The Dark Knight BigDaddy Grayskull's Avatar
    eventho ive already seen both parts of the cartoon, it was still very kool to read along. good job guys
    By The Power of.... BigDaddy!!

"If you will not hear the Truth, no one can tell you."

Batman:YTB Batman...Yesterday, Today and Beyond! Home of the Internet's Biggest and Best website and forum regarding Batman!

.Org Wrestling Discussion WWE,TNA and whatever else youd like to talk about. The absolute greatest discussion forum for wrestling fans.. ever!

Originally posted by Divia
    hmmmm, being the only MOTU fan at my comic shop and the only girl who ventures in wearing tight, low cut shirts, I wonder if I will be able to get that poster.
    If you walked into the comic shop I frequent like that, I'd buy ya' the poster.
    "Proud owner of both Keldor and She-Ra thanks to He-Man.Org"

Come on Mattel, bring back He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Adora, She-Ra, and The Evil Horde!!!!!!!!

Blade's MOTU Figure Need List:
    Snake Armor He-Man x3
    Talon Strike Stratos x2
    Trap-N-Smash Orko x4
    Evil-Lyn x1

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO MOTU AND DON'T LET MOTU DIE!!!!!!!!

Val:

I'm sorry, but this issue rocked so much harder than the cartoon.. can you guys PLEASE start doing the cartoon, too??
    This could be the end of the world.. of warcraft.

Evil Renegade Time Lord TheMaster's Avatar
    I liked this issue it is cool and i liked it more than the cartoon
    help find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis

May is now National Cystic Fibrosis awareness Month

Inside the Sun lives the Ice People and Inside the Freezer lives the Fire Daemons!!!!!!

General Rattlor
    HEY EVERYONE! Check out my thread, "ROTSM: toon OR comic". If you have time. Its under the new cartoon forum. It would be a great place to make your comparisons & its the perfect place to state your favorite choice! When comparing the 1st issue to the same parts in the toon, I have to go with the comic. But I have yet to pick up my 2nd issue they are holding for me at my local comic shop but if what I'm hearing is true(about Skeletor being turned to stone & not being ate by Snake Mountain) then I am siding with the show! But I still love the comic and the art. Plus the comic seems to be more mature(blood,cussing,etc.). So sez The General!

Havoc Staff Master

What happened?

I might not have the opportunity to pick up a copy of the comic for a few days, so I'd like to get a clear bead on what actually happened in "Rise of the Snakemen, Issue 2." Mainly, concerning Skeletor getting turned to stone. There seems to be some confusion regarding this. Did it occur during the initial confrontation in Snake Mountain between Skeletor and Hiss -- meaning that he gets turned to stone instead of being devoured by the floor? Or does it take place after that scene in the cartoon show -- when Skeletor breaks free from the floor after Hiss falls off Greyskull? That would be different. In the cartoon, they never even tried turning him to stone. What's up?

Re: Nice Art, Decent Read

Originally posted by zodak74
    Speaking of posters, as I was about to leave the comic shop I saw a little something just resting atop of a shipment that they'd yet to sort through. Being a tad snoopy, I picked it up and asked "Hey, what are you guys going to do with this cool He-Man poster?"
    The guy shrugged and said "Fold it up and give it to you".
    So now I have a nice fold-out mini-poster advertising the ongoing series coming soon: THIS FEBRUARY THE POWER RETURNS, featuring Snake Armor He-Man in the foreground with Skeletor, Hssss, and HORDAK in the background!
    SSSWEET!
    Um...so are we gonna get to see a glimpse of said poster? Can you scan it or something? Or does anyone know of anyplace where one can see it online?

Re: Re: Nice Art, Decent Read

Originally posted by nilito
    Um...so are we gonna get to see a glimpse of said poster? Can you scan it or something? Or does anyone know of anyplace where one can see it online?
    In this same forum, there is a thread entitled 'If anyone hasn't seen it yet'. Click on that link, and you're set !

Best regards,
    Shecky

Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    Zodak handed the Most Powerful Man in the Universe his ass. I liked this issue; can't wait 'til next month.
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe

Just got my issue today. It wasn't too bad.

THE NEGATIVE

have never been a fan of fight dialogue. It always seems tacked on, generic, and lame.

Example:
    Tri-Klops- "It's time we end this game!"
    MAA- "Not today, Tri-Klops!"

How many times have I heard this in an action movie or comic?

Most of the dialogue is like this except for when Evil-Lynn speaks. I liked her comment: "It's like watching a chess game from afar! [...] The real fun begins when the Queen makes her move!"

That was good. If the dialogue serves no purpose or lacks drama and wit, as shown by Evil-Lynn, I prefer to just leave it out.

Also, I felt the defeat of the Evil Warriors at the hands of the Snakemen was a little unsatisfying. But it must be hard, in such a confined space, to balance story with action and get all the characters into their movements. When Hsss comes onto the scene, he lacks drama and emphasis. He just shows up, stones the warriors, and then has a seat. That said, I think Val did okay.

THE GOOD

Pretty well written, although it was mostly an action issue. The stuff in Snake Mountain after Hsss takes over was interesting. I liked the look on Khan's face when he realized what true sacrifice and loyalty means to the Snakemen. Heheh.

As for the art, Tong's style is growing on me a little. I still think the line work is a little sloppy sometimes, but generally I think it is an improvement over the first book.

The final splash page of the snake warriors streaming out of Snake Mountain is just beautiful. I think I'm going to scan it and stick it up as my desktop image.

Over all....not a bad issue. I'm naturally more of a dialogue person, so extraneous amounts of action wear thin on me, but not a bad showing. I'm a little worried that Part 3 is going to be too rushed, however.

ROTSM #2: 3.5/5
    ROTSM#1: 4.5/5

And, once again, we have Eternian Daze by our beloved GOV; always well drawn (I love the style) and humorous! Not gut-busting hilarious, but funny and quirky in its dialogue and characterization.

"No it's not. That's a uh...mirage...."

----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Originally posted by Baena
    And sorry to all the Zombie fans (add in the back), Otis' hair and skin have been adjusted to his regular albino self for the final cover. :o
    That's what I get for not watching 1,000 corpses.
    Tsk, tsk, Nate... Rob Zombie frowns at you

That's why you need to rent-- nay, BUY-- '1000 Corpses'... You know it's your cup of tea and all that.

Take care,
    Leanne

Originally posted by StratosMacca
    Tsk, tsk, Nate... Rob Zombie frowns at you

That's why you need to rent-- nay, BUY-- '1000 Corpses'... You know it's your cup of tea and all that.

Take care,
    Leanne
    Pphhhssssshyaaaah! Deep down somewhere I don't go often enough it might be my thing. Who knows?

I still wanna know why Kobra Khan hasn't been using his acid venom spit...

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    Originally posted by RedBaron

And, once again, we have Eternian Daze by our beloved GOV; always well drawn (I love the style) and humorous! Not gut-busting hilarious, but funny and quirky in its dialogue and characterization.

"No it's not. That's a uh...mirage...."

Your too kind RB. I wish it could have lasted longer but it was nice to see it make the two issues it did. We'll be posting the 3rd and 4th ones in the Fan Art Forum. Oh and uh. . . Mattel is teh suck!
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.com

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

Originally posted by Ghost of Vapor
    Your too kind RB. I wish it could have lasted longer but it was nice to see it make the two issues it did. We'll be posting the 3rd and 4th ones in the Fan Art Forum. Oh and uh. . . Mattel is teh suck!
    I think the Fan Art forum is the best place for it....I think you're at the top of your game when you're humour is a bit crude.

----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

I liked the comics issue. I dig the art, but I too miss Emiliano and Enza. I liked the He-Man/Zodak scens MUCH better in the comic, than I did in the cartoon. It was frustrating to watch in the cartoon. I liked the defeat of Skeletor and his evil warriors more in the cartoon, than in the comic, but I liked that the comic showed Trap-Jaw there, and I love the Skeleton warriors in the comic.

I really look forward to the third issue. I think MV Creations' Masters of the Universe comics are among the most beautiful and entertaining comics that I get every month. Definitely the best colored comic. Congratulations to the team!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Great issue. The art is awesome.

I kind of liked the animated version of this issue better though. Except this was not as rushed.
    I liked how skeletor was beaten in snake mountain. It made his defeat better(damn King Hsss )
    Cannot wait for the next issue
    Last edited by Dark_Phoenix; November 21, 2003 at 10:22pm.
    I am fire made flesh, power incarnate, I am.... THE DARK PHOENIX!!!

The fire of the Phoenix burns through lies, you understand? The gaze of the Phoenix is like an x-ray tearing through every self-deception. So burn, Emma.
    Jean Grey, New X-men 139

snakeface
    I just got the issue today. It was a good adaptation of the cartoon. The art work is really vivid. We seen it all in the cartoon, but I think this was a good handling of the material. The illustrations are like scene grabs from the toon.

I loved Kobra Khan's expression as he learns Evi-lyn is about to become Snake food Perhaps KK didn't realize how brutal his glorious ancestors would be.

BTW Zodak mentioned his venddetta against Hiss was for centuries . That implies that the Snakemen imprisonment was only hundreds of years ago, and not thousands of years like some propose

Damn, my store didn't get them this weekend.

They still got the IOE series

I got my ROTSM #2 today and my opinion is:

1)Awesome art!!! (Then again, what else can one expect from the best??)

2)I like how the comic storyline paralel to the cartoon storyline.
    "Proud owner of both Keldor and She-Ra thanks to He-Man.Org"

Come on Mattel, bring back He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Adora, She-Ra, and The Evil Horde!!!!!!!!

Blade's MOTU Figure Need List:
    Snake Armor He-Man x3
    Talon Strike Stratos x2
    Trap-N-Smash Orko x4
    Evil-Lyn x1

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO MOTU AND DON'T LET MOTU DIE!!!!!!!!

sbbonacci
    I have had a very difficult time finding the comic books (must be good news since they're selling out!) but I do have to say that the Rise of the Snakemen 1 & 2 are my favorites so far! The story is close to the cartoon, but the subtle differences are cool...to see that there isn't just one definite storyline for MOTU, since it's fantasy, different things CAN happen. And, the art is just amazing, the guys that put this thing together are very talented. Wish I could contribute my art to something so cool.