Thread: "City Beneath the Sea" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

"City Beneath the Sea" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

EP # 36 "City Beneath The Sea"

He-man and Duncan set sail to investigate the disappearance of some of King Randor's food ships. Sucked beneath the surface by a whirlpool, they find themselves in the underwater city of Aquatica, which has been taken over by Mer-man. Also Mer-man has kidnapped the city's princess, Nahmi and is controlling the Aquaticans with the pearl of power. It's up to he-man to help the aquatican's see the light and rescue the princess from mer-man.

carlo
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Kwon
    Mer-Man Rules!

well i thought this ep was average i didnt feel to involved by it to bad to since larry wrote it
    its one of the ones i really hated that he wrote but of course those r few and far behind
    i give this ep a 4
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

I loved this ep.It was good to see Merman taking the lead role.I'd give it a 7of 10.Larry ds writing was great.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    (Another old thread, another new review... )

"City Beneath The Sea" is one of two mid-first season episodes, the other being "Search for the VHO", that showcases Mer-Man as a formidable solo villain, something established back in the classic "Teela's Quest".

I really like this episode, and still enjoy watching it now, even though I've seen it many, MANY times. Well, it deserves to be good, coming from Larry DiTillio, who I'm coming to recognise as possibly my favourite writer for the series.

The whole thing has a bold, simplistic adventure feel to it, almost like one of the classic Saturday morning cartoons from the 1960s and 70s.

Princess Nami is a reuse of Celice's design from the early episode "Song of Celice", one of the several times it was reused throughout the series. Here it is coloured with aquatic tones (almost making her look like a Faker version of Celice). Although I would have liked to have seen an original design for the character, it didn't really spoil the episode that much for me.

As mentioned at the top of this review, it's another occasion where we get to see Mer-Man working on his own, and he makes a really worthy, credible opponent. It's nice to see him presented as quite cold and cruel, as opposed to the typical bumbling-Evil-Warriors that we get to see in some other episodes (including Mer-Man himself on some other appearances). It's a shame we didn't get to see more of Mer-Man working for himself in Season Two.

I also would have liked to have seen this episode adapted into a mini-comic, as several other episodes were, as I think it would have translated really well, especially as Mer-Man never really got a comic to showcase him (other than in the early 'Battle In The Clouds').

All in all, I find this a highly enjoyable adventure. 9 out of 10.
    Last edited by Spacedust; August 16, 2006 at 10:02am.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Hun
    This episode is pretty good. Mer-Man has some great moments here and I think this episodes shows his most evil sides. What I don't like about this episode is that the disappearance of the people inside the missing ships is never explained??

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hun
    This episode is pretty good. Mer-Man has some great moments here and I think this episodes shows his most evil sides. What I don't like about this episode is that the disappearance of the people inside the missing ships is never explained??
    Well Mer-Man's whirlpool device was making them disappear, but I agree, it was never really explained what happened to the boats, if the crew's died or what (died? In He-Man? unlikely). I admit it's one slightly loose end from an anotherwise good episode.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Howdy

While I love Mer-Man in charge and the fact Larry D wrote the episode this ep is not that good. This is probably due to Larry's sistate in underwater eps and he didn't want to write it. This compared to something like The Dragon's Gift and you can see where he priorities are.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

I love this episode. I rember watching this episode ages ago and I watched it recently again. I am not a fan of Mer Man, but I like him here.

I like this episode, but it's not a favorite. I wish they had come up with a different design for the Princess because it really irks me that she's the same design as Celice and Core's daughter.

I haven't seen this ep in a while so I'm going by memory here....

There are a couple cool backgrounds used in this ep that really struck me. The scene where He-man and MAA are on a moving platform viewing Aquatica was pretty cool, and I really like the character design of the Wizard. The scene where he makes ink shoot out of the Octopus on the wall was pretty surprising and there's something unusual about that animation--it just felt odd compared to the normal way Filmation animates things.

The arena scene where He-Man fights the giant crab is fun. This is also one of the few times where we see He-Man use his Super Speed during the story's climax so it's notable for that reason alone. It's one of the few times where Super Speed coupled with Super Strength saves the day!

Of personal note:

This episode has special meaning to me because I own an animation cell of the exact instant when He-Man lifts Mer-Man over his head with one hand. I really enjoyed that moment in the ep so it was a special treat to win the cell on ebay a few years ago. it's a nice subtle way to show how strong He-Man is, and as a kid I remember wanting to see He-Man powerslam Mer-Man.
    RIP Andy Conrad.