Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Rise of the Snake Men" #3 (of 3) Talkback

I am kinda upset with my comic guy now that I see that you all got an issue. He claimed that some company problems delayed the issue. I had better have it when I come back, or...or...something really bad might happen.
    "Never do what your enemy expects you to do" - Wheeljack - Autobot Mechanical Engineer
    Batman: YTB

Awesome issue above and beyond the cartoon. I liked how all of the masters and the royal guard was out to face the snakement and how it was evil lyn who "killed"most of the snakemen and forced the others to jump into the pit.

From the cartoon it portrayed the snakemen as stupid and just jumping to their demise because king hiss was supposedly defeated
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Heroic Warrior Accident of Earth's Avatar
    Good issue. Overall, it tied together better than the cartoon. Other Masters weren't inconspicuous by their absence, for example.

The Snakemen dying could easily have mimicked the cartoon, thanks to the early line about them acting as one under Hsss's (show THAT one to a grammarian!) spell. However, Val decided to go the uber-powerful Evil Lyn route instead. It'll be interesting to see where that one leads.

I do agree some of the action sequences, namely the head to head battles, were short at times and tough to follow, given the condensed size of the frames. Granted, it is hard to pack everything into 22 pages. Skeletor getting turned to stone does make him look weak next to Evil Lyn, and the "I have no eyes!" line from the cartoon is sorely missed. On the other hand, we do learn that Snakeface's curse wears off when he gets stoned. (Now, how is HE going to survive the fall into the abyss -- surely he'll shatter at the bottom?)

Overall, I find the added bit of gore and deeper character development very enticing, and look forward to upcoming issues.

- AoE

Evil Greedy Toy Monger DarthAmerica's Avatar

zodak getting the strength of the elders

In the comic, Zodak calls on the Elders to give him their stregnth. He sort of does that in the toon too.

I thought the stregnth of the Elders was on loan to He-Man.

If Zodak takes some of their stregnth, shouldn't it weaken He-Man or maybe even turn him back into Adam?

Or does He-Man have less stregnth than the combined Elders?

By the way, the comic was a good read. I think I like the toon better, but that's probably because i saw it first. I'm looking forward to more (all) independant stories.

In answer to my own question regarding King Grayskull in another thread, there is a line that King Hiss says after he is in the castle. I don't have the issue in front of me, but Hiss says something about the Elder's and I quote "Grayskull's castle."

So it looks like Val is gonna be recognizing King Grayskull.

The timing between the episodes and the comic have always been great. The Rise of the Snake Men comic was timed with the Rise of the Snake Men episodes, but also timed just right to where we see "The Power of Grayskull" last week on CN, and then a week later we get issue #3 of ROTSM, where Hiss makes mention of Grayskull's castle. Now that's planning.

A.J.

Mr. Tong did such a killer rendition of Man-E-Faces and Syklone. I think that was the first time we've seen Syklone do anything in the comics. Very cool.
    I really liked the way he drew the Sorceress too. The panel where she flys off the throne is SOOOOOOO great. I was astounded to see her with a normal sized cleavage, looking quite proportionate. Emiliano and Enza always make her so... big. It was a nice change.

and Evil-Lyn... yikes! beware, she may be infamous for her double crossing, but don't do it back to her!!! Oh, and I can't get past the fact that she's so pink in all 3 ROTSM comics. Pink lightening yes, pink skirts... not so much.

This whole series rocked, and I've read the comic over at least five times already.

great ending to a great story. i was hesitant at first since i figured i knew all the detaila.

i loved the way evil lyn culled the herd a bit.

i liked the line of zodak not being a true enforcer buti feel it was more like cursing at someone than actually hinting anything

i do have a question though. it said "editor's note" and gave some issues to look at. what was it supposed to reference to? there was no asteric to anything so i am a bit confused.

it was well beyond the cartoon and well worth me giving you my money.

i liked the idea of the snakemen working as a group/hive too.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Originally posted by A.J.
    In answer to my own question regarding King Grayskull in another thread, there is a line that King Hiss says after he is in the castle. I don't have the issue in front of me, but Hiss says something about the Elder's and I quote "Grayskull's castle."

So it looks like Val is gonna be recognizing King Grayskull.
    Nice catch A.J.! It's on that ONE PAGE battle between Sorceress and Hsss. He says: "The power of the Elders now resides in Grayskull's Castle!"
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Great issue, although I do agree the Sorceress/King Hiss fight could have at least been a double page spread....and what's with Man-At-Arms giving ultimatiums to Rattlor, He-Man's the boss!

And I get the feeling that while Adam is indeed given a large portion of Grayskull's power, he ain't getting it all....it's probably why his mass is less then Grayskull, and I assume it's due to the fact that if the Elders were to indeed transfer all the power to Adam, nothing would be left to keep their essences alive. So I bet they keep just enough to be able to stay 'alive' and be able, if needed, to enhance warriors when needed as they did with the Sorceress' force field, and Zodac's powers. But I'm willing to bet they can't empower them for very long, since obviously, most of the power is being used by Adam as He-Man. Maybe it's like a caffeine burst. You get it, and then after a while, it's gone, and run out.

Anyway, getting back on topic, only other thing I'm wondering is will Hiss' magic stay yellowish in color or will you be using the 'shadow snake' stuff from the cartoon? It's really cool, and a distinctive visual for King Hiss.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Andie Tong
    coolness. thanks everyone for all the wonderful comments and critics! it's great to see and read what everyone thinks of the end product good or bad. Thanks to Val, Leanne, Matt, Tony, Jeremy and Ed, it was an incredible series to work on!

baena_i myself would have loved to do a couple of splash pages or 2 panel pages, just to give the story some breather with all the crazy chaotic panel pages that had gone before but alas, there was quite a lot to tell and not a lot of space to tell it in.

Val did a tremedous job to tell the whole story in 3 issues!

Originally posted by Andie Tong
    baena_i myself would have loved to do a couple of splash pages or 2 panel pages, just to give the story some breather with all the crazy chaotic panel pages that had gone before but alas, there was quite a lot to tell and not a lot of space to tell it in.

Val did a tremedous job to tell the whole story in 3 issues!
    Yes he did, and you did an awesome job of putting the visuals to it. I admire the both of you for tackling such a task. I have no doubt that were it a perfect world, this series would've been given all the pages it needed to fully express the story. We just don't live in that perfect world now do we.

Great work!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Poe Ghostal
    Good issue. I like Tong's artwork, though I definitely agree with other comments in the thread that there were too many panels, or more accurately, each page was a little too busy. It was sometimes difficult to follow the action, particularly in the fights between He-Man and Rattlor (or whoever that was who lost a tail) and between Zodak & Hsss.

The vibrant colors were great, though (except when they cluttered the action) and I liked the shot of the dragon walkers arrayed for battle, a la the AT-AT's from Empire Strikes Back (or the oliphaunts from Return of the King, for that matter). It's a shame we didn't get to see the walkers in action.

This was a FANTASTIC issue!!! The only thing that I liked better about this story in the cartoon, than compared to the comic, was King Hsss' conquering of Skeletor. I liked him taking over Snake Mountain and having Skeletor swallowed. However, everything else in the cartoon paled in comparison to the comic. The storytelling here was first class!!! Thanx to everyone at MV Creations who worked on this. It was superbly done!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Heroic Warrior Accident of Earth's Avatar
    Originally posted by King Kahn

i do have a question though. it said "editor's note" and gave some issues to look at. what was it supposed to reference to? there was no asteric to anything so i am a bit confused.
    That is Val's sneaky way of promoting past comics WHILE drawing attention to the fact that this is not Evil Lyn's first time betraying Skeletor, and this time the punishment will be more severe.

(Spoilers: In the Shard of Darkness comic, Evil Lyn enlisted the help of Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops in an attempt to gain the crystal's power behind Skeletor's back. Skelly wasn't very happy.)

- AoE

Evil Greedy Toy Monger DarthAmerica's Avatar
    thanks for the answer hemanofgreyskull that makes sense

tenno
    I just picked this issue up. As an amateur writer, what I most admired in this issue was the pacing. Everything was so succinct. Awesome. Now bring on the new series!

decastar

Excellent!

I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the entire 3 issue arc, and MV Creations did an outstanding job improving upon the script from the cartoon! The storytelling was well paced and better suited to the characters than the cartoon, and the art was amazing! Sometimes I found it a little tough to figure out what was going on in the small frames, but I managed! Overall, awesome job and I can't wait for Vol. 3!!!!!

Loved the ending. Now, I'm looking forward to the series picking back up in February.
    "Proud owner of both Keldor and She-Ra thanks to He-Man.Org"

Come on Mattel, bring back He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Adora, She-Ra, and The Evil Horde!!!!!!!!

Blade's MOTU Figure Need List:
    Snake Armor He-Man x3
    Talon Strike Stratos x2
    Trap-N-Smash Orko x4
    Evil-Lyn x1

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO MOTU AND DON'T LET MOTU DIE!!!!!!!!

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    I found it funny that a MOTU comic had an advertisement for Ghostbusters in it.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

Invisible Zombie
    this issue is hard to find... i went to 4 comic shops and finally i got my copy... and it's the last copy..

I like the ending, Evil lyn is sooo powerful, she must be really angry with those snakemen

Faker032
    Awesome issue. What I like best about the comic vs. the toon is the "real violence" we get here...anyway, I have to wonder if this is where the continuity between the two breaks off, or will Evil Lyn's punishment be the same as "Price of Deciet?"

Heroic Warrior
    Spot on brilliant I say. After seeing part 2 of this story in the animated series and being seriously disappointed, I thought you guys did a FANTASTIC job here. You filled in all the holes and removed the 'what the hell?!" factors that were created in the show. I also loved the art and colors, simply fantastic.

I think MV Creations staff have really hit their stride with the new MOTU series at this point and am VERY excited to see what you have in store for us with the ongoing series in volume #3.

Oh, while I'm at it...I hope you all had a safe and happy Christmas too.

This was a great issue indeed! I am warming to Andie's artwork and the ''cel-shading' style of colours really compliments his style too.
    I was also confused by the editor's note as there was no asterisk. I assume it is referring to Evil-Lyn's Shakarren (?) crystal coup?
    I also find it strange that Val does not use Narration boxes. I mean when the Masters are in the dark hemisphere, MAA says it will take a day or two before they reach Grayskull but then on the next page they are all ready for the battle. Shouldn't there have been some kind of caption to say ''And after some hasty preparations, the army of Eternia prepare themselves for battle'' or something like that...? :o

Two thumbs up though!!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Creep990
    Originally posted by Nightwing
    I am kinda upset with my comic guy now that I see that you all got an issue. He claimed that some company problems delayed the issue. I had better have it when I come back, or...or...something really bad might happen.
    I checked my comic guy Saturday and he said they were delayed. But I know they're not. So I wonder if all orders were shipped or if he ordered incorrectly or if he sold my copies? Aaarrgghh, and the He-Store is sold out of #2, which coincidently he hasn't recieved either I guess if they're not in this weekend, I'll just order through the He-Store if they aren't sold out of 3 and try to find 2 on ebay or something

princess_of_power
    Awesome series! I never get a chance to watch the cartoon (no cable) but I love the comic!!!