Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Web Of Evil - Official Talkback Thread

Mr.Roboto
    I actually forgot my VCR taped this ep for me, lol. But anyway, I just watched it and I gotta say that was one cool episode.

I may be alone in this, but I love the Spitbull. Hope to buy that sometime.

As for the rest of the ep, I enjoyed it. It was great to finally see Fisto and a great relief to finally confirm his name as Fisto and not that lame ass Battle Fist

Yeah, I think it's settled that Fisto ISN"T Teela's father. The unknown solider from "Out of the Past" didn't have a huge arm not red eyebrows.

And I gotta agree with IceWolf. Some of you are guilty of overanalyzing. You expect too much from a kids' show. Or you expect every episode to be on the same level as "Price of Deceit" and "Power of Grayskull". Do like me, kick back with a sandwich and a coke, and just enjoy it
    Last edited by Mr.Roboto; December 22, 2003 at 02:30am.

Originally posted by Mr.Roboto

Yeah, I think it's settled that Fisto ISN"T Teela's father. The unknown solider from "Out of the Past" didn't have a huge arm not red eyebrows.
    You are exactly right. Now that I viewed "Out of the Past" again I didnít see either trait that you mentioned so Fisto canít be Teelaís Father.
    Next AZ mAZters Meeting?????

He-Man and Skeletor Stand Ups for sale and a Huge Comic Con Banner for sale

My old MOTU Store
    http://www.pbase.com/daviono1089/mazters_store&page=all

COMING SOON
    http://WWW.COLLECTORSJOINT.COM

axee4
    Originally posted by Daviono1089
    You are exactly right. Now that I viewed "Out of the Past" again I didnít see either trait that you mentioned so Fisto canít be Teelaís Father.
    The unknown soldiers arm was bandaged. maybe the big fist is a side effect of his injury. Duncan called him a deserter, maybe the time Duncan thought he was deserted he was getting freaky with the Sorceress.

Tzigone
    Originally posted by axee4
    The unknown soldiers arm was bandaged. maybe the big fist is a side effect of his injury. Duncan called him a deserter, maybe the time Duncan thought he was deserted he was getting freaky with the Sorceress.
    He didn't have red eybrows either, they were dark.

I know this is late in the game, but I wanted to post my feelings on this episode. It wasn't my least favorite, but it didn't quite sit right with me. Here are my random comments, including some of the things that bothered me:

*Still no explanation of who Webstor is or where he comes from. He has a brief cameo in Snake Pit, shows up (without his name being mentioned once) in the Council of Evil eps, joins Skeletor's forces in The Last Stand (though this is somewhat unclear), and disappears until this episode. If I'm a kid watching this series, I want to know who this guy is! Especially in an episode dedicated to him.

*Webstor is badass enough in his regular form. The ambrosia was a cheap plot device to power-up the snakemen in the end. IMO, it would have been much cooler to have him use his position and power in his race to assemble an army of existing Eternian Spiders. That would have shown him as a stronger, more powerful character. Using the ambrosia plotline is a disservice to his character.

*I really disliked his design after eating the ambrosia. Give me regular Webstor any day of the week.

*The mine chase with the snakemen seemed overly long and out of place. It's sole purpose was to advertise the Spitbull, which doesn't make any sense since it's probably the most awkward vehicle to use in a mine chase. I understand they needed to show that the threat of the snakemen continues and that the snakemen are hungry, but that could have been accomplished in a quarter of the time that they used to advertise the Spitbull. This is Webstor's ep, he deserved more time devoted to his storyline.

*Always nice to see a new character, and I enjoyed Fisto's introduction in the bar. Fits the character I picture when I see the figure.

*The debate about Fisto being Teela's father needs to stop. There is absolutely NO reason to believe that is true. I will repeat what others have pointed out in this thread: the soldier in Out of the Past had a regular right hand, Fisto has a naturally enlarged hand, and the two have different colored eyebrows. I'm not saying I believe Duncan is Teela's biological father, but there is NO WAY that it is Fisto.

*I was ready to be miffed that the ambrosia wasn't negatively affecting Webstor since they made a point on explaining that only Andreenids can healthily eat it in Sky War, until Stratos asked about it. I was satisfied with Buzz-Off's reply.

*Fisto is MAA's brother, eh? I see no reason why he wouldn't have meant this literally, as it's a kids cartoon, and kids would get confused by any figurative meaning. Besides, after he says that, watch Buzz-Off's, Ram Man's, and I believe Stratos' faces. They have that jaw-dropped-in-surprise look. He-man probably had questions of his own, but he knew there were bigger fish to fry.

*I didn't have a problem with the snakemen surprising the spider army, but I do have a problem with them being able to eat the ambrosia. The "mutated spider blood" argument doesn't hold water with me. Ambrosia, whether eaten in raw form or otherwise, should be toxic to the snakemen. Again, this seems to be a cheap plot device for further episodes.

*I didn't believe the rumors of a character dying before the episode aired, and I don't believe that Webstor is dead. Weakened and defeated, maybe. And his self esteem has probably taken a pretty big hit. I just hope he's back to his normal form (no more ambrosia souped-up garbage) and back with Skeletor very soon (like on the back cover of volume 2 issue 1 of the comic) where he belongs.

So that's some of my gut reactions on this episode. I didn't hate it, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. Here's hoping the next three episodes are amazing and we hear about a third season soon.

Jamie
    "Sometimes incredibly stupid is clever enough for me." -Sam Malone

Theory on why Ambrosia is not toxic to Snakemen: Ambrosia affects a creature's DNA, super-sizing them. It's toxic effects go away after the supersizing settles in completely. If the supersizing does not settle, the effects go away and then the amborsia becomes toxic.

When the spiders ate the amborsia, they became supersized and the amborsia lost its toxic effects. When the Snakemen ate the spiders, they gained all the benefits of ambrosia without the toxin.

Originally posted by Tallstar
    Fisto...

Realistically, this episode didn't do much for me. The ONLY part about it I rather liked was seeing Fisto and hearing some backstory on him.

The part about MAA and Fisto has really got me reeling though. Hopefully this will be further examined in the episodes.
    "Proud owner of both Keldor and She-Ra thanks to He-Man.Org"

Come on Mattel, bring back He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Adora, She-Ra, and The Evil Horde!!!!!!!!

Blade's MOTU Figure Need List:
    Snake Armor He-Man x3
    Talon Strike Stratos x2
    Trap-N-Smash Orko x4
    Evil-Lyn x1

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO MOTU AND DON'T LET MOTU DIE!!!!!!!!

I say someone should put a cap on that Ambrosia stuff! That stuff should be banned!!

FalconPain
    Regarding Bennish's comments:

* Normally, Webstor has humanoid arms and legs, as well as those four spidery legs coming from his back or side or whatever. After eating the ambrosia, his arms apparently became two more spidery legs, which didn't particularly change his character... but his humanoid legs remained normal. I probably would have liked his later scenes better if I didn't see those awkward legs hanging down at every opportunity.

* I don't know if I'm reading too much into Buzz-Off's commentary, but I'm confused. Buzz-Off called Webstor an "Arachno" (not arachnid) when he explained why the ambrosia doesn't hurt him. Is this a race?
    BUT, the instant Buzz-Off and Stratos found traces of web, they noted that Webstor (yay, they used his name!) must be responsible. So there's a race of spiders and yet they instantly assume that he's the one responsible?
    There are three possible explanations. Maybe the Arachnos are an almost extinct race and Webstor is the only survivor. Or maybe the Arachnos are a variety of arachnids, such as scorpions, and Webstor is the only spidery one. Or maybe Stratos and Buzz-Off were jumping to conclusions, much like Adam's assumption in Underworld that the first Caligar he saw must be Whiplash.

Spiders are for the most part loners they don't travel in packs and for the most part the males outnumber females by far I looked it up *you learn something new everyday. So maybe when they said Webstor it's cause he's the only one they know to have motives to snare 2 races in a web. Yes Webster has a race we all come from some where when they do his background story we will get all the gaps or most of em filled. It's acceptable that we don't know his backstory they never told us jack about anyone in skeletors cahoots beside stinkor and twobad the rest were Comic origins so...

Anyone get the feeling that once Fisto gets his metal fist they are going to start calling him Battle Fist...? (So it'll be like Duncan/Fisto and Man-at-Arms/Battle Fist)
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

season 3 confirmed in WFWTK 8.0

I see a lot of mention on this board of wanting a "season 3" or when is it "confirmed." It was confirmed in WFWTK 8.0...
    here's the quote:
    "I also like the season 2 episodes. They have more conflict and battling. He-Man does not always win every battle and Skeletor does not always jump on the Ram Chariot and run away. The addition of the Snakemen will make for some interesting twists and turns. If the fans liked the 3 part episode 25, 26 and 27 wait until 38, 39 and then the start of the third season with Episode 40. These will have some great surprises."
    Just so all my friends on the board here know!

~Jafari Stew
    (looks like they made 26 eps. in season 2 and are splitting it in 2, making it season 2 & 3)

Master Raven
    AeroStratos88: That was one of the new episodes? I guess I missed that one.
    but yeah with that ending lines I guess the evidence of her real dad being MAA is pretty strong.
    I still don't like the notion of MAA being her real dad though...but if thats how it turns out i'll adjust.

Also it was mentioned that maybe they will call fisto 'battle fist' when he gets his new arm. I think thats a good idea.
    Plus somehting I noticed when I rewatched the episode is that MAA did not call Fisto by name...it was a question. a bar patron called him fisto and MAA says, offscreen, "Fisto?"
    which meets a 'Yeah, what of it?"
    So possibly we won't have to use battle fist or the horrid S&M Fisto...he may get a real name soon...i suggest Nacnud.

Ok...so 'duncan' backwords is worse then 'Fisto'

Also, one other thing, this time about their new uniforms.
    i hate the big bright yellow backpack on Stratos. I like MAA's repaint though. The silver goes better with the green then I figured it would...i'm a bit baffled on the decision to not repaint his orange leg silver like the rest of his armor.

Mr.Roboto
    Plus somehting I noticed when I rewatched the episode is that MAA did not call Fisto by name...it was a question. a bar patron called him fisto and MAA says, offscreen, "Fisto?"
    Actually, I think MAA said his name like that because he was suprised to see him.

Maximus
    I haven't posted here yet, but I will now on my thoughts:

Webstor: A lot of people want to know why Webstor could safely eat ambrosia - apparently Buzz-Off's explanation isn't good enough.

The Andeenids are humanoid insects; Webstor's race (which I believe is probably near-extinct) are humanoid arachnids. Although insects and arachnids are not the same thing, they are closely related (both are of triadary crustacian phylum). Thus, they share a great many genes in common, so Webstor theoretically could benefit from ambrosia - and as we saw, he did so in a different way than the typical Andreenid did.

Fisto: First of all, seeing him was great. I personally believe that Fisto is Man-at-Arms's brother, biologically. The reason Duncan hasn't mentioned him was because, after Fisto deserted, Duncan likely disowned him as a sibling. Deserting is one of the most dishonorable things a warrior can do. Certainly, seeing his brother raised feelings of guilt in Fisto, which led to his saving the Masters at the end.
    I believe that by punching through the rock, Fisto shattered his hand; MAA will likely have to amputate it, leading to Fisto receiving a powerful cybernetic one next episode.

All-in-all, it was a pretty good episode.

- Maximus

Originally posted by Divia

My brother watched the episode with me. It was the first one he saw and all he say was "What the hell, they have bars in cartoons now?"
    has he ever heard of the simpsons? homer always goes to the bar there
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

FalconPain
    Originally posted by Maximus
    The Andeenids are humanoid insects; Webstor's race (which I believe is probably near-extinct) are humanoid arachnids. Although insects and arachnids are not the same thing, they are closely related (both are of triadary crustacian phylum). Thus, they share a great many genes in common, so Webstor theoretically could benefit from ambrosia - and as we saw, he did so in a different way than the typical Andreenid did.
    Technically, the name of the phylum is Arthropoda. Spiders and bees are part of different subphylums, though. (Chelicerata and Uniramia, respectively.) The third subphylum is Crustacea, like you said.
    With this in mind, I now want to see Clawful and/or his cousin eat ambrosia. By this logic, they shouldn't be affected negatively!

Best episode yet!

And I dont say that every weeek!

This episode broke the mould in many ways which is what made it so great:

*Broke the old status quo by having webstor go solo, rather than just becoming another one of Skeletors forgotten henchmen (alla two-bad) Arguably mossman is not a master either, but till we see him again this isn't confirmed.

*Had lots of masters, in different teams being proactive for once. They were tracking down snakemen, evacuating buildings, etc. not sitting around playing chess. Here more so than anywhere else it felt as if the masters were the guardians / police force of eternia, not just the palace and greyskull. It had a much more epic feel than other episodes, including POG.

*Fisto was introduced but did not take over the episode. It also appears he is going to be a GREAT character (how can people say he sucks and they dont like him? Do all masters have to be all goody goody). I get a sense, with the duncan tie and his background and attitude, Fisto will be featured a lot more than guys like Sy-Clone and Roboto since he has a bigger role than them.

*The good guys DID NOT beat the grand evil for once! Excellent, it was unexpected and made a lot of sense, and made the world seem a lot bigger. The ending was not deus ex machina but was rather set up nicely, and will have rammifications in later episodes. It gets boring when the masters beat everything that comes their way all the time, other forces should be battling each other two.

* With the increased violence (He-man is now fully killing animals), bar fights, snakemen revealing their hunger for flesh and non linear storyline, this episode seemed a lot more mature than most.

* The directing and animation were top notch. Infact both these aspects are improving each episode of late. Compare this episode to the slow weapon twirling of the begining and there is a world of difference.

MORE EPISODES LIKE THIS MYP! I hope they break the mould more often!

What should be happening from here:
    Its pretty obvious where the season arc is going - the observent will note he-man has yet to fight hiss, and MYP is doing a great job of keeping the snakemen around as a tease without actually having a proper confrontation. Its all been skirmish stuff, except for rise part 2 where Zodak had to use the powers of the elders to win. Expect a suped up hiss to hand zodak his ass, and the cliffhanger to be he-man having to defeat hiss alone. I just hope it is more creative than being at the steps of greyskull again, we have seen that enough.
    Hopefully webstor will now be in eternian prison (unlike season 1 continuity between eps has been great this season) and he will escape bringing rattlor and snake face along, that would be better than hiss freeing them methinks (tho how snakeface will change back to flesh without hiss being there is a problem.)

Maybe skeletor will revert him for a price of course. Maybe King Hiss will have a traitor in his ranks.

scerevisiaety1
    In "Out of the Past", the absence of a LARGE bandaged hand does not mean it is not Fisto. The chronology could be like this:

1) MAA and his brother (let's say named Todd) grow up fight evil together etc.
    2) The Great Unrest or whatever it is called comes along and MAA's brother Todd 'deserts'...when actually he is injured and has amnesia...falls for the sorceress and helps produce Teela.
    3) Todd with amnesia then heals parts from the village we saw in Out of the Past and goes off into the world.
    4) At some point he runs into familiars and memory returns of who he is but he is branded Deserter.
    5) Getting branded this etc causes his 'jerk' personality to come out more which leads to deformity of large hand. The once loved "Todd" becomes the despised "Fisto". He goes back off into the world shunned for having Deserted.

The only problem is why doesn't he explain he didn't desert but had amnesia...maybe he tried and they didn't believe him and that angered his pride and soured him due to their lack of faith in him...

I don't know. I don't personally buy that Fisto is Teela's dad. I'm just saying that it is still possible. The 'link' between the bandaged hand of the amnesiac in OUt of the Past and present day Fisto would mainly be symbolic but still effective.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Originally posted by scerevisiaety1
    5) Getting branded this etc causes his 'jerk' personality to come out more which leads to deformity of large hand. The once loved "Todd" becomes the despised "Fisto". He goes back off into the world shunned for having Deserted.
    Hmm.. Can you please clarify your meaning here? I am not aware of any personality disorders that cause body parts to enlarge permanantly..

Also, there is the other piece of evidence from "Out of the Past"--the fact that the Sorceress tells MAA flat out that Teela was his daughter..

Dr. Omega

Mr.Roboto
    3) Todd with amnesia then heals parts from the village we saw in Out of the Past and goes off into the world.
    Then how does that explain why MAA wasn't suprised at the size of his arm? If he hadn't seen Fisto since the Great Unrest I think he'd have a decidedly different reaction to seeing him again:

MAA: Great Eternia! What is up with that arm!?

Or something like that. You get the point

Something I didn't see mentioned: Masters were in anti-snake armor mode. All had the "no snakes allowed" sign including Buzz-Off and Man-E.

Maybe abnormally large body parts run in Duncan's family - you just don't see that Man At Arms has a really huge .........

liver!
    The guy can drink Ram Man under the table and eats bacon like skittles - by the handful.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

To Oceanwalker,

I believe that a couple of people did comment on the Masters' updated uniformsg/gear to reflect their ongoing war against the Snakemen. It is just that several some comments have overshadowed the comments on the Masters' new attire.

To Frankos,

I completely agree with about "Web Of Evil" being a great episode. Campbell did a great job in doing a balanced storyline with a lot of things happening all at once. You also brought a huge point about the Snakemen for once being responsible for defeating a force of evil instead of the Masters. I believe that the Masters would still be able to defeat Webstor, but the twist at the end definitely made the episode unique.