Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Join Us! Help create a MOTU RPG Maker 2003 Game

Join Us! Help create a MOTU RPG Maker 2003 Game

I posted a few weeks back to see what sort of interest there would be in the he-man.org community to create a RPG Maker 2003 MOTU Game. There does seem to be a decent amount of fans that would be willing to help make this project a reality. For too long there hasn't been a decent MOTU video game that fans could really sink their teeth into. Professionally developed games, like the one for the gameboy advance have fallen short and the one scheduled for the ps2 has been plagued with delays. Here's our chance to step up and make a MOTU game worthy of actually playing.

The RPG Maker 2003 is a innovative toolset that we could use to finally make this plan into a realtiy. The thrust of the gameplay is rather Final Fantasyesque, but there are more possibilities if we can get the proper volunteers. By drawing on talent from he-man.org, I think it's possible to create the artwork and animation necessary to make a viable game. Initially, we'll focus on making a demo, but hopefully if successful, we can make a longer game that incorporates all of the MOTU universe. Apparently there is a way to make the game multiplayered and later on we might want to explore that avenue further.

Some of you, such as Lee were instantly interested and have helped lay the ground work for a demo. Specifically Lee has been creating world character spirits, while I have done some landscape artwork. We still need volunteers to help create some of the animation, face sprites and enemy battle sprites. Programmers are also needed, though the level of programming within RPG maker is limited. In addition, if anyone is interested in making MIDI music, we can also incorporate it into the game. Any work that is done will be credited fully and all help is certainly appreciated.

Anyone interested in helping can email me at moturpg@yahoo.com or pm me via he-man.org. You could also respond to this thread and I'll get back to you ASAP. With the necessary volunteers, I think we can make an awesome game. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Uglor; March 30, 2004 at 11:51am.
    Visit www.myspace.com/diemath to check out my artwork and music.

Nintendo owns my life.
    I just want too second Uglor we can use all the help we can.

I'd love to help, but I've got no experience at all with RPGmaker and my pixel art is pretty crappy. If RPGmaker is easy to learn I could try it out, so how hard is it?

Nintendo owns my life.
    It's not really hard but it isn't a walk in the park, there arn't really many codes and a lot of it tells how the features work.

Is there a place to DL it and if so how much does it cost?

Nintendo owns my life.
    Just do a google search for it and you should be able too download it for free on some sites. 2003 is the newest version but it is hard too find and the one time I did but it didn't work right.
    Last edited by Lee; February 29, 2004 at 08:55pm.

Are both versions compatible with each other? Also, are there any good tutorial sites? Sorry to seem like I'm pestering here.

EDIT

I got a hold of RPG Maker 2003 and it seems to work, but I don't know what to do with it. I did a quick search and came up with a couple tutorial sites, but all the actually tutorials are dead links, or for more advanced stuff. Go figure. I'll keep trying to find some tuts.
    Last edited by Ink F301; February 29, 2004 at 09:30pm.

I'm a programmer who'd like to help if I can. I'm trying to download RPG Maker now and try it out tomorrow.
    Myko - The Most Powerful Mushroom in the Universe
    a.k.a. The Official King of Cool

http://myko--.deviantart.com

I like to join the project, I know VB, C++

Nintendo owns my life.
    Originally posted by Ink F301
    Are both versions compatible with each other? Also, are there any good tutorial sites? Sorry to seem like I'm pestering here.

EDIT

I got a hold of RPG Maker 2003 and it seems to work, but I don't know what to do with it. I did a quick search and came up with a couple tutorial sites, but all the actually tutorials are dead links, or for more advanced stuff. Go figure. I'll keep trying to find some tuts.
    Where did you get it I can't find a working link anywhere.

Takken_The_Trollan
    I made a bunch of Trollan sprites a while back for RPG Maker 2003... only one set I finished up completely, though, bit it wasn't Orko sprites. Not that I couldn't do Orko sprites. Sprites are about all I can do with the program, though.
    The only problem with them is that they're about the same size as the other human-sprites.
    Last edited by Takken_The_Trollan; February 29, 2004 at 11:47pm.

Originally posted by Lee
    Where did you get it I can't find a working link anywhere.
    No link, I used Kazaa. Got both 2000 and 2003. Searched for RPG maker 2003, which found about 10 results, and it took maybe 5 minutes to DL.

Now if we could only coax Toni into making adam and he-man battle sprites.

Heroic Warrior
    I made an overview sprite of the classic Marlena. Could that be of use? Well, here, I'll just show you.

Last edited by Uglor; March 1, 2004 at 10:29pm.

Nintendo owns my life.
    I got 2003 and started working. He-Man gets creepy with big eyes.

Art

As I posted earlier Lee is creating most of the world sprites. Now we need face sprites for adam, he-man, man at arms, teela, ramman, orko, stratos, king randor, queen marlena, sorceress, royal guard, skeletor, beastman, merman, evil lyn, trapjaw, tri-klops, count marzo and chimera. Each face sprite must be 48x48. These sprites are going to be used for dialog and will be necessary to make the game look more professional. It would be incredibly awesome if someone like gbagok, iceman, or bearshow would do a couple. Anyone is certainly welcome to try their hand though. It would be beneficial to the final product if there's a consistency among all of the face portraits. I've included a template for anyone who might be interested.
    Last edited by Uglor; March 2, 2004 at 02:37am.

Backdrops

Each fighting area has to have a backdrop graphic for the action to take place in front of. For this MOTU RPG, we'll need backdrops with castle grayskull, snake mountain, eternia, and avion for now. The requirements are that they must be the same size as the example I'm posting and remain within the 8-bit 256 color framework. I have a feeling that these could be drop dead gorgeous if someone were to put some effort into it.

Takken_The_Trollan
    I've got a face sprite for Orko, but it's been pasted in with the regular RPG Maker "Heros", here.

Ok and finally we have the monster sprites. These also must conform to the 8 bit 256 color limit. The size can vary pretty widely. We really need these to be made and would appreciate any help. The MOTU game needs Skeletor, Beastman, Merman, Evil Lyn, Skeletor Warrior, Trapjaw, Triklops, Panthor, Skeleton Warrior, Skeleton Chief, Griffin and a Witch. Here's an example...

I post anorther thread where i put the battle sprite monsters for the game.I already post 2 monster in beta preview :

Horde trooper

Skeletor

Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Nintendo owns my life.
    Cool Skeletor.

Hmm should it be new continuity or old? I really don't think we should mix.
    Myko - The Most Powerful Mushroom in the Universe
    a.k.a. The Official King of Cool

http://myko--.deviantart.com

And here is marlena v 2.0 ready to play !!!
    Just put the file marlena20.png in the charset directory in rpg maker 2000 or 2003 and lets go , marlena can kick some butts
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Most of you should be getting a pm today telling you a bit more about our progress on the MOTU rpg game. I'll be dividing up work between the volunteers so we can begin some of the heavy lifting required to create the game. Good job everyone who has participated so far, especially Lee's valuable assistance.