Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Masters

Zerospace
    How does "Hot Comics" stay in Business?

I used to "shop" at the New Hope (or "No Hope") branch back in '94 when McFarlane Spawn figures were becoming the rage alongside the 5" X-Men line.

It was near impossible to make a fair trade with the owner (at the time) as she would always try and screw you over in some way. As an example - When the Batman Poison Ivy Animated figure was hot - and reselling for $30+ .. she would offer you $7!

It's cool to go into that store now - for nostalgic value.. but that's about it. The older figures that are there - and there are many - are priced as they were way back when they were "hot" (and before eBay became all the rage). I just shake my head looking at the price tags thinking: "crack don't smoke itself".

It is a really cool store that has a lot of older items that are neat to see. But the prices they have on some of the older "junk" is ridiculous. Unfortunately, you could get most of that stuff for half the price it's maked at - on eBay.

Like I said - I don't know how it stays in business (especially if it's owned by the same lady and if she is still screwing over the customers in trades and such).
    Last edited by Zerospace; May 10, 2005 at 05:44pm.

I have been working at Hot Comics for 3 years now and I have no clue were you think you are coming from. We are not E-Bay and do not go by what e-bay prices are, they are what you would call an auction house totally different pricing. If you have a problem with our store and would like to understand the trading and sell aspect of the buisness stop in and I will explane it to you or email me. Please next time you have a complant come to use about it first before bashing something you don't seem to know anything about or please stop coming into our store.

Zerospace
    Quote Originally Posted by TongLasher38
    I have been working at Hot Comics for 3 years now and I have no clue were you think you are coming from. We are not E-Bay and do not go by what e-bay prices are, they are what you would call an auction house totally different pricing. If you have a problem with our store and would like to understand the trading and sell aspect of the buisness stop in and I will explane it to you or email me. Please next time you have a complant come to use about it first before bashing something you don't seem to know anything about or please stop coming into our store.

Did you even read my post?

The majority of it had to do with how things were run back in '94 - when I semi-frequented the place. My biggest gripe being how collectors were regularly shafted by only being offered retail cost for "hot" items that were brought in for sale/trade (only to be resold later in the store at 4x the value) by the Manager at the time. The equivalent TODAY - would be to bring in a Marvel Legends series VII Phasing Ghost Rider and be offered $10 for it.

This WAS how things were done at the store back in the time frame I mentioned. You said that you have only been there for 3 years so you probably have no clue what I am talking about.

I also never said that this WAS the way things were still being done today - I merely said "I wonder if.."

The New Hope store - TODAY - does have a huge selection of vintage items (which is cool to see). That - I said - in my other post. What I was kind of shocked by was that the older items - specificly Spawn and Toybiz items - were still priced at what they were when they were "hot" back in '94 (or so). My reference to eBay was only that - with the surge in it's popularity - that many of the items at Hot Comics could be "won" on that site fore a lot less than what the price tags say at "your" store. That being the case, one would expect that Hot Comics would adjust the prices to a more realistic price for today's market. An obervation that many local collectors I know share.

As for the "please stop coming into our store" comment... I can't say that I have ever heard a Target,Wal-Mart, Rainbow, Nordstrom, Suncoast, etc employee say "please stop coming into our store" - when a Customer has a problem with/questions something. I guess that shows how little you actually know about running a business.
    Last edited by Zerospace; May 15, 2005 at 12:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerospace
    Did you even read my post?

The majority of it had to do with how things were run back in '94 - when I semi-frequented the place. My biggest gripe being how collectors were regularly shafted by only being offered retail cost for "hot" items that were brought in for sale/trade (only to be resold later in the store at 4x the value) by the Manager at the time. The equivalent TODAY - would be to bring in a Marvel Legends series VII Phasing Ghost Rider and be offered $10 for it.

Trading or buying most of the time you will not get alot of money when you trade with a store. If you have a toy that guides at $30.00 you will probly ownly get $10.00 to $15.00 for it, because the store then has to resell it at guide to make up the cost of buying that figure, paying employes, space & time to keep that toy on the shelf & the electricite to run the store. So yes stores have to pay less when buying from a customer and then resell it for higher.

This WAS how things were done at the store back in the time frame I mentioned. You said that you have only been there for 3 years so you probably have no clue what I am talking about.

Yes I know what you are talking about.

I also never said that this WAS the way things were still being done today - I merely said "I wonder if.."

The New Hope store - TODAY - does have a huge selection of vintage items (which is cool to see). That - I said - in my other post. What I was kind of shocked by was that the older items - specificly Spawn and Toybiz items - were still priced at what they were when they were "hot" back in '94 (or so). My reference to eBay was only that - with the surge in it's popularity - that many of the items at Hot Comics could be "won" on that site fore a lot less than what the price tags say at "your" store. That being the case, one would expect that Hot Comics would adjust the prices to a more realistic price for today's market. An obervation that many local collectors I know share.

If you look up the prices in ToyFare or Lee's Toy Review that is what them guide at. I can't just sold them at ebay prices otherwise we would go out of buiseness.

As for the "please stop coming into our store" comment... I can't say that I have ever heard a Target,Wal-Mart, Rainbow, Nordstrom, Suncoast, etc employee say "please stop coming into our store" - when a Customer has a problem with/questions something. I guess that shows how little you actually know about running a business.
    What I ment was if you don't like looking at the price that are priced by guide (Toyfare & Lee's Toy Review) that there are other stores out there to go to. I would love to have you as a customer, but it fusterates me & my boss when people said stuff like this. I was angry the first time I read your first post, sorry if I came off strong. And yes I have been told to not come back to stores before. Please continue to shop at either Hot Comics.

Zerospace
    I understand the concept of a slight markup, paying employees....

You know what..... lets just drop this

I think that we both got our points across - so lets put an end to this before it gets out of contol

No harm done here ... and as the saying goes: "To each his / her own"

I was going to say the samething.

I just was trying to explain how her thinking is. I have had plenty of talks with her about just makering down alot of the prices and what I explained is what she told me. We just get alot of customers that say the samething that you were saying and I try to explain to them.

So again sorry if I was harsh. I get frusterated about the prices too. Please continue coming into either store.

Bill

NorthStar

Enough to choke a donkey

Ahhhhh... Its been a long time since I've posted on these boards. But I could use a little help/advice. I am looking to unload the vast majority of my MOTU collection that I picked in 2002-2003. I've got at least 2 and sometimes as many as 8 copies of each figure that were released in the new waves. Most all of which are carded and in perfect to excellent condition. I've been keeping them all locked away in plastic tubs in my closests. It is simply overwhelming me and I no longer care to have them take up so much space.

The question is, where can I, outside of ebay and selling them individually to board members through the mail, sell these things off?

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks all!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar
    Ahhhhh... Its been a long time since I've posted on these boards. But I could use a little help/advice. I am looking to unload the vast majority of my MOTU collection that I picked in 2002-2003. I've got at least 2 and sometimes as many as 8 copies of each figure that were released in the new waves. Most all of which are carded and in perfect to excellent condition. I've been keeping them all locked away in plastic tubs in my closests. It is simply overwhelming me and I no longer care to have them take up so much space.

The question is, where can I, outside of ebay and selling them individually to board members through the mail, sell these things off?

Any advice or help would be great.

Thanks all!
    I think you answered your own question there... ebay and this board will probably be your best bet on getting rid of them... maybe you could donate them to a charity and get a tax write-off?

BTW, what figures do you have 8 of?

NorthStar what figures do you have and how much are you looking to get for them?

Jack
    It's been a while since I visited here for obvious reasons, but I have a sighting to report. The local Burlington Coat Factories have the Snakemen in at $4.99 a piece. I only saw the first wave of heroes and the first two villain waves, so no SA He-man or Fire Armor Skeletor unfortunately, but I did see Zodak, Fisto and Khan at the West St Paul and Maplewood Stores. I only saw MAA, Snake Crush Skeletor, Stratos and Mekaneck at the Apple Valley store. I did not check the St Louis Park store.

NorthStar
    NorthStar what figures do you have and how much are you looking to get for them?
    Everything except She-Ra and the HM & Skele chase figures. As much as I can.

So, how many Minnesota Masters are going to WWC??

Myself and my sister Wendy along with Dad and one of Wendys helpers may be going.

Brent

Heroic Warrior

stactions for trade???

Ok, I have some stactions for trade. Mine arrived from AFX in pretty beat up condition. I'm wondering if anyone here has some that they are going to open that are in good condition that they would be willing to trade for some with beat up cards? I was trying to keep a MOMC collection of these. The figures are all mint, just the cards are creased and the bubbles are dented.

Does anyone know of any stores that have gotten in the Stactions in mN, like Suncoast, Hot Comics, Shinders, etc. And what the prices are??

Brent
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUfan
    Does anyone know of any stores that have gotten in the Stactions in mN, like Suncoast, Hot Comics, Shinders, etc. And what the prices are??

Brent
    I have a Snout Spout & Clawful at Hot Comics New Hope for $29.99 Each, if you are interested. The phone number is 763-593-1223.

Hot stuff comin' thru
    I have a Snout Spout & Clawful at Hot Comics New Hope for $29.99 Each, if you are interested. The phone number is 763-593-1223.
    Maplewood Suncoast had 3 Snout Spouts, 2 Hordaks and 1 Clawful for $19.99 on Sunday.
    This is my life down here with me
    One mistake for which I still pay dearly
    Self-reconstruction after a granted wish for annihilation
    Don't lie to me and say you'd die for me
    What would you die for?

Heroic Warrior
    Just an FYI... TRU is having green tag 50% sales again. I saw quite a few transformers and GI Joes on sale at the one in Bloomington

Everyone in MN stop shopping at Hot Comics

Bang your head!!!
    I don't get it...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

They fired me and kicked me out of the house I was renting from them because of my girlfriend and our baby girl Aurora. There was no reason to fire me, I was still doing my job the way it should have been done.

Bang your head!!!
    They had a good selection of stuff but the prices were too high.
    PM, I wanna know what happened...
    My art blog:

She pricing was always to high but I was being loyal to the store by sicking up for her buissness. What I said here on the boards was what she told me and what she wanted me to post to help people understand how she was running the store.

When she fired me I told her it's not a Target or Walmart it a comic store and people don't buy collectible by what guide lists them at all the time.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Hey freakers, dunno who still checks this thread -- but thought I'd give it a shot -- any of the suncoasts around the twin cities metro area selling the wave 2 Stactions? I checked Eden Prairie and Edina recently and no dice. Anyone see any? Lots of Wave 1.

Thanks in advance!

Brent

Hot stuff comin' thru
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSpandex
    Hey freakers, dunno who still checks this thread -- but thought I'd give it a shot -- any of the suncoasts around the twin cities metro area selling the wave 2 Stactions? I checked Eden Prairie and Edina recently and no dice. Anyone see any? Lots of Wave 1.

Thanks in advance!

Brent
    I was at the Mall of America Suncoast and they had a few Stinkors, Clamp Champs and Grizzlors if those are the ones you are talking about.
    This is my life down here with me
    One mistake for which I still pay dearly
    Self-reconstruction after a granted wish for annihilation
    Don't lie to me and say you'd die for me
    What would you die for?

Bang your head!!!
    Maple Wood Mall SC had Stinkor and Clamp Champ 2 weeks ago...
    My art blog: