Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Complexity of the New Adventures

The Champion of Light

The Complexity of the New Adventures

I recently got the full set and I had seen most of them prior but now with the second viewing, I am gaining even more of an appreciation for them. I don't care what people say...they deserve a level of respect in their own right. There's mad continuity going on! The action is better; Skeletor feels sooo evil....like as evil as he was in the very beginning of He-Man! Their is turmoil amongst the goodies; Werben, a peace loving senator type, despises Master Sebiran for bringing He-Man in the beginning; thus, leaving himself open to get manipulated. That's cool....I know its not the Filmation generic, save Timmy from a well scenerio! So, what do the REAL viewers think...????

I have watched just over half the series. Is it just me or do the 2nd year figures not get much of a look in.

Optikk, Hoove, Karatie, Lizor are all hardly in it (so far)
    Visor, Darius, nocturna, titus have been in about 5 seconds of episode 5.

But the later figures like quakke and spinwit are in it a fair bit, as are the earlier ones. It's rather odd.

She-Ra/POP will always be my favourite part of the mythos, but after having watched all of the New Adventures Of He-Man (sent to me by a very special friend), I have come to truly appreciate this series as well. I love the visuals of the series, and the characters, as well as the stories. I was also impressed by the continuity and I will try and watch the whole series again in my next vacation over Christmas as I do with my other favourite TV Shows/Movies. I am sorry I never got to enjoy the series as a kid (because it never came here), but I am glad I have been fortunate enough to see it now. I had felt a void in my MOTU/POP/Movie/New MOTU vacation marathons, but with NA in my collection now, I can enjoy all of it. I miss not having the toys and books/comics, but I enjoyed the Mini-Comics on He-Man.Org as well.

Visually, Hydron had been my favourite character (along with Tuskador and Sagitar) even before I saw the series, and while I still like these characters, I have developed a special fondness for Flipshot (I just love his goofy but earnest - and often reckless characterisation). He's a lot of fun to watch. I am also fond of Drissy and Mara (especially) and I enjoyed Mara's later conflict with Crytta who is a wonderful villainess, but I still have a preference for Evil-Lyn and POP's Horde Ladies because I had grown up with them and they have been in my heart longer.

Like all of the series (MOTU/POP/New MOTU - and even the Movie), NA has its brilliant moments and its could-have-been-better moments, some episodes I loved (and could - and do - watch endlessly) and others I could give or take and maybe only watch a few times a year.

I must admit it took me a while to get used to the NA Skeletor and I took to the Galactic Guardians more so than the Mutants, but overall, the characters do grow on you if you give it a chance which unfortunately a lot of people didn't and still don't.

That said, I really enjoyed Adam's relationship with Master Sebrian, and He-Man's conversations with The Sorceress, Teela was a welcome sight (and I loved the new look - and in fact she looked like Teela did in some of the Classic MOTU Mini-Comics or so I thought), and I especially liked how Mara was suspicious of the Adam/He-Man identity at times. I'm sure she knew at the end of the 65 episodes.
    Last edited by Mikey; October 11, 2004 at 05:21am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

I've always loved the New Adventures(The Cartoon is quite possibly my favourite), probably becuase it was the series I grew up with. I like all the little character arcs, that were seemingly absent from the other series of MOTU. Skeletors relationship with Crytta, Adam/He-Man and Mara, Sebrian and Werbans rivalry etc. I also loved how the show had arcs over time, and that Skeletor actually wins a few times.

I thought the Mutants were excellent, Slush Head is one of my all time favourite characters and his clueless ways were always funny to watch, considering he was usually paired up with Skeletor(Sanctuarys probably the best example).

I would have loved to have seen what might have happened after episode 65, as I was little unpleased at how the Mutants treated Skeletor at the end cosnidering all he had done for them.
    "Evil can never defeat good!"
    "Don't be ridiculous, of course it can!"
    He-Man and Skeletor in 'Crack in the World'.

I'm watching the beginning of the final arc as we speak and it is incredible! The show was really hard to get into past those first few episodes because it's so radically different, but it won me over.

The episodes are amazing, and I love the arc-style stories where they'll cover four-five episodes. Looking forward to seeing how it all ends up!

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and the Griffen

I love the toys but although I have seen the cartoon I don't like it that much. It's too different from Filmation's version. And I really can't feel at home with MOTU without She-ra being it NA or the new show.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Chris here...

I think the New Adventures was amazing - as much as I enjoy the new MYP MOTU show, I think I actually prefer the NA. I've said it many times before (probably using these exact words), but I think seeing He-Man & Skeletor placed in an entirely different setting adds emphasis to their conflict and for me gives MOTU the feeling of a true "epic"!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan
    Chris here...

I think the New Adventures was amazing - as much as I enjoy the new MYP MOTU show, I think I actually prefer the NA. I've said it many times before (probably using these exact words), but I think seeing He-Man & Skeletor placed in an entirely different setting adds emphasis to their conflict and for me gives MOTU the feeling of a true "epic"!

Take care...
    Chris sumed up why NA is ' da bomb' perfectly.
    Yeah Chris, you pretty much always use the "emphasis conflict" thing
    I think ive said "depth to their overall meaning ,desitny" many a post too ! Tis true though!
    Last edited by HORDE TROOPER; October 16, 2004 at 07:33pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur
    I love the toys but although I have seen the cartoon I don't like it that much. It's too different from Filmation's version. And I really can't feel at home with MOTU without She-ra being it NA or the new show.
    She-ra has neverbeen in MOTU.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by HORDE TROOPER
    Chris sumed up why NA is ' da bomb' perfectley.
    Yeah Chris, you pretty much always use the "emphasis conflict" thing
    I think ive said "depth to their overall meaning ,desitny" many a post too ! Tis true though!
    Our thoughts on the NA have always been pretty similar, HT - I never get tired of praising it or leaping to its defence!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankos
    She-ra has neverbeen in MOTU.
    She-Ra did appear in both The Secret of the Sword movie and the Christmas Special, both of which were jointly billed with He-Man. True, SOTS was made up from the first five episodes of the She-Ra show, and to me the Christmas Special feels more like a She-Ra episode in places, but in my view it still counts. Plus, love her or loathe her, She-Ra will always be part of the MOTU mythos, because she's the twin sister of MOTU's lead hero!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan
    She-Ra did appear in both The Secret of the Sword movie and the Christmas Special, both of which were jointly billed with He-Man. True, SOTS was made up from the first five episodes of the She-Ra show, and to me the Christmas Special feels more like a She-Ra episode in places, but in my view it still counts. Plus, love her or loathe her, She-Ra will always be part of the MOTU mythos, because she's the twin sister of MOTU's lead hero!

Take care...
    SOS counts as POP to me.
    Never seen the christmas special so can't comment.
    I was just pointing out that NA "not feeling like MOTU" was a silly comment.

I'd love to get ahold of these episodes. Can anyone help me out with good copies? I have a standalone DVD recorder that I could transfer the tapes onto and make copies of if anyone is interested. You can EASILY fit two SP tapes on 1 DVD with NO quality loss.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

By The Power Of The Good Bigdaddy51200's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie
    I'd love to get ahold of these episodes. Can anyone help me out with good copies? I have a standalone DVD recorder that I could transfer the tapes onto and make copies of if anyone is interested. You can EASILY fit two SP tapes on 1 DVD with NO quality loss.
    I have made some say the best NA He-man dvd set out !!! It is complete with motion menu's and some bonus commercials . I worked very hard on the set and spent over 80 hrs making it . I have traded it to lots of org members . This set was created out of love for NA He-man not to make a ton on money from . Please email me at [email protected] and I will try to hook you up with my 7 disc set . Some of the people in this very thread got thier set from me

Bigdaddy51200

The Champion of Light
    It's well worth it Loo-Kee. I got the set and I love it! The majority of the episodes are great!!

The New Adventures of He-Man is IMHO the best of the three He-Man cartoons, and naturally light-years ahead that one that has it's own forum, so I won't say more about it here. No other cartoon with He-Man in it never gave such insights of it's characters. When there were humorous episodes, they were actually funny. And Like it was said before: Skeletor is able to win for a change, and in general appears intelligent and worthy of the 'Overlord of Evil' -title.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

I to, am a fan of NA
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

i NEED NA on DVD, its a life or death situation.

Quote Originally Posted by HORDE TROOPER
    i NEED NA on DVD, its a life or death situation.
    BidDaddy sells a mighty fine set.

The NA line is what really got me into He-man. I too own a set of the NA dvds that bigdaddy has made. I like the series but I really wish that Kayo would have had more screen time. The whole story with Crytta and Mara just seemes to take a little too long. Some of the characters in the series got their chance to take some time in the spotlight but most of them did not.
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

By The Power Of The Good Bigdaddy51200's Avatar
    BidDaddy sells a mighty fine set.
    Thats bigdaddy51200

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Wind
    The NA line is what really got me into He-man. I too own a set of the NA dvds that bigdaddy has made. I like the series but I really wish that Kayo would have had more screen time. The whole story with Crytta and Mara just seemes to take a little too long. Some of the characters in the series got their chance to take some time in the spotlight but most of them did not.
    I havn't seen them all yet (about 3/4 of the way through) but notice that several (basically wave 2) characters are pretty much absent:

Optik, Lizor, Hoove, Karatte are there once every blue moon but seem to hardly get a look in at all.
    Kayo, Nocturna, Darius are in the background once every 25 episodes.
    Visar got a whole one episode.

Do these guys get some spotlight in the later episodes? Any idea why these guys never real;ly appeared? (especially hoove who was given 2 toy forms!)

I havn't seen them all yet (about 3/4 of the way through) but notice that several (basically wave 2) characters are pretty much absent:

Optik, Lizor, Hoove, Karatte are there once every blue moon but seem to hardly get a look in at all.
    Kayo, Nocturna, Darius are in the background once every 25 episodes.
    Visar got a whole one episode.

Do these guys get some spotlight in the later episodes? Any idea why these guys never real;ly appeared? (especially hoove who was given 2 toy forms!)
    Unless I'm mistaken, I dont think Dairus was Ever in the cartoon. Optikk and Lizzor appear more towards the end of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin
    Unless I'm mistaken, I dont think Dairus was Ever in the cartoon. Optikk and Lizzor appear more towards the end of the series.
    Darius got a background cameo inepisode 5 I believe.

Darius got a background cameo inepisode 5 I believe.
    Wow, never noticed that before. I'll check that out

Heroic Warrior
    Time to correct a few mistakes - Darius NEVER appeared in the cartoon series, not in episode 5 or 65 or any episode. The likes of Kayo, Nocturna, Vizar, Lizorr, Optikk, Hoove and Karatti made several appearances during the course of the series, more than just one or two.