Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 76 to 97 of 97

Thread: Official "Masters of the Universe" #7 Talkback

  1. #76
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Quote Originally Posted by pennypunk
    However, as Leanne said, why would they be "Bird People" if they are actually moneys with fake wings?
    Because they started out as monkeys living in the lower trees.
    Then as they evolved, they actually started to live higher in the trees.
    As time went on, they found means to glide from tree top to tree to expand the size of their communities.
    Then from there, it grew to trying to fly from mountain top to mountain top to communicate with other tribes.
    And from there grew the bird people's reasons for having such perfected flight gear.

  2. #77
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    See, evolution can make anything into anything!

    I like that explanation Val.
    I too like to think of him as monkey-man with wings. sorry Leanne.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  3. #78
    Heroic Warrior of Avion
    StratosMacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    I too like to think of him as monkey-man with wings. sorry Leanne.
    S'okay, Nate

    I still prefer the natural wing idea. Makes more sense to me. I also feel that it makes for a more diverse group of beings on Eternia.

    --Leanne

  4. #79
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    I guess in that respect, I side with you Leanne, that they have natural wings, but that the gray on them is a fur, not fine feathers, feathers sure on the wings, but fur everywhere else.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  5. #80
    Heroic Warrior of Avion
    StratosMacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    I guess in that respect, I side with you Leanne, that they have natural wings, but that the gray on them is a fur, not fine feathers, feathers sure on the wings, but fur everywhere else.
    Ahh, I see!

    Well, I could definitely live with that, as long as they have natural wings

    --Leanne

  6. #81
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    I guess in that respect, I side with you Leanne, that they have natural wings, but that the gray on them is a fur, not fine feathers, feathers sure on the wings, but fur everywhere else.
    Down can look like fur unless you inspect it up close.
    So, if they are just birds, they'd be covered in down.
    And nothing says with bird people, down is only associated with newborns.

  7. #82
    The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca
    S'okay, Nate

    I still prefer the natural wing idea. Makes more sense to me. I also feel that it makes for a more diverse group of beings on Eternia.

    --Leanne

    Here, here... I just can't see monkey's with artifical wings, considering that just means anyone with a flight pack and wing pair could fly, but with the flying monkey idea, that's just a way cooler development and has more potential, especially thinking about how they evolved...did the birdmen initally have the Andreeians as natural enemies.

    Plus, why would evolution stop a small group of monkeys from evolving, while men sprung up around them on Eternia?
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

  8. #83
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Baena's believes in the teachings of the old.
    In believe in evolution, myself.
    But to be fair, evolution is also merely a theory.

    Please note I gave equal treatment to religion and science in issue 7.
    You can see hints of both sides of the argument in the dialogue.
    And in issue 7, religion actually wins out.
    Hey, it's fantasy after all.
    (Right back atcha, Nate)

  9. #84
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892

    Just because I'm religious, doesn't mean I don't believe in evolution.
    It just means I believe in an evolution that follows a greater design and creation vs. evolution happening due to environment and happenstance. Like you say Val, both are just theories.

    And us talking whether or not Birdmen are more bird-like or more monkey-like is really just a few of us hitting each other with big geek sticks!
    Are we passionate about this universe or what?!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  10. #85
    The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,332
    heh, guess it's up to the indivual fan, I mean heck, who's to say the birdmen didn't actually orginate as actual monkey-birds who were "forced-evolved" by an evil witch to be slaves, and with the help of King Grayskull, rebeled from the evil witch and went on to form the foundations of birdman society?

    Dang it, I'm such a geek
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

  11. #86
    Pollex Christi
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull
    heh, guess it's up to the indivual fan
    Oh, no doubt. It's just that I really do see the comic as "official" and the bird idea still just doesn't sit right with me. Still, there are things I disagree with in the MOTU mythos even more (like Fisto being Tee-la's father).

  12. #87
    Heroic Warrior maczero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    Because they started out as monkeys living in the lower trees.
    Then as they evolved, they actually started to live higher in the trees.
    As time went on, they found means to glide from tree top to tree to expand the size of their communities.
    Then from there, it grew to trying to fly from mountain top to mountain top to communicate with other tribes.
    And from there grew the bird people's reasons for having such perfected flight gear.
    [email protected] Val! Get outta my head!!! That's nearly identical to my view of the Avions' evolution. Also, I assumed the wings were artificial. Which meant that they adapted gliding as a more efficient means of transport over jumping from cliff to cliff.

    Peace.

    BTW, I'm glad I wasn't the only one freaked out by the eyes.

  13. #88
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    36,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollex Christi
    Still, there are things I disagree with in the MOTU mythos even more (like Fisto being Tee-la's father).
    We didn't agree with that hint either.
    But then we came up with a much better story to explain that if they ever revealed Fisto to be her dad.
    ...and in the end, not only was Fisto not really her dad, but it revealed the truth behind Teela's ultimate destiny.

  14. #89
    Master of 3D printing Neo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4,792
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    We didn't agree with that hint either.
    But then we came up with a much better story to explain that if they ever revealed Fisto to be her dad.
    ...and in the end, not only was Fisto not really her dad, but it revealed the truth behind Teela's ultimate destiny.
    Crap.... I wish we new what that meant...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

  15. #90
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    We didn't agree with that hint either.
    But then we came up with a much better story to explain that if they ever revealed Fisto to be her dad.
    ...and in the end, not only was Fisto not really her dad, but it revealed the truth behind Teela's ultimate destiny.
    Does it have anything do to with that large boot?
    Teela becomes BooT-eela heroic herione of kicking ***!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  16. #91
    The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    Does it have anything do to with that large boot?
    Teela becomes BooT-eela heroic herione of kicking ***!

    Heh, see that's why I think Teela and Fisto should be related. One's got a big hand, the other a big boot.


    Anyway, have to respectfully disagree with you all, I thought Fisto being (practicallly) revealed as Teela's real father was a really nifty twist. My only and biggest gripe I ever had with the toon was the whole Marlena's not from Earth thing.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

  17. #92
    Pollex Christi
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull
    My only and biggest gripe I ever had with the toon was the whole Marlena's not from Earth thing.
    Interesting, that's a bit I was happy with. Nonetheless, I don't think anything in any versions ever said that she wasn't from Earth. I tend to see MOTU as (forgive the mixed genres) a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

    Still, it's kind of nice to have holes in the story for fans to have their own theories.

    This is one of the reasons I wish Stratos never removed his helmet....

  18. #93
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    18,112
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3
    We didn't agree with that hint either.
    But then we came up with a much better story to explain that if they ever revealed Fisto to be her dad.
    ...and in the end, not only was Fisto not really her dad, but it revealed the truth behind Teela's ultimate destiny.
    good.

    you know I like that you refer to it as THAT HINT. because thankfully it wasn't fleshed out in the end. that way it isn't anything official in any sense...just a hint.

    Great issue by the way I enjoyed it. I wish we could get more.

    you know since we are getting on the topic of religion etc. let me tell you how I am a happy fan with all these continuities. the stories of MOTU we are presented with are like the Gospels in the New Testament of the Bible.

    four authors of the same story. But we see different points highlighted and some skewed perspectives. so not much of it sync's up with each other, but the underlying story is the same. So MYP, MVC, Filmation, and DC/Mattel are like Matthew, Mark, Luke and John but for the story of Eternia...none of us are there, so we get these interpretations of events from people chosen to tell the story. unfortuneatly the MVC part of these 'gospels' have been *******ized by powers that don't want the truth to be told. happens in major religions all the time.

    as for marlena not being from earth...Dean Stefan told us that on the boards, but her origins were never revealed to us in any form of storytelling this time around. And the Gospel According to Scheimer states she was from Earth. so as it stands that's all we still have to go on.
    Last edited by krosfyah; December 7, 2004 at 07:34pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  19. #94
    Hooked on Substance D Machine Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lancs, England
    Posts
    894
    Finally got a chance to read this comic today! Better late than never...

    I really liked this issue, it gave Stratos a bit of well deserved back story and made good use of the Egg of Avion. All in all it made a good read, and Leanne's art rocked as well! My only (minor) complaint was the use of the Tychons as opposed to the Ilkorts, but even so it was still nice to see some characters from the original toon reinvented for the new series.

    Like a few other people I wasn't too comfortable with the birdy look of the characters, since I've always thought of the Bird Men as a bunch of humans with artificial wings. But if the cartoon established otherwise, what can you do?

  20. #95
    Heroic Warrior Frankos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,584
    Finally got this issue.

    Personally I found it the best issue of the comic by far, the opening page was beautiful with it's internal monologue that really felt like a higher concept comic, something I havn't seen since the trapjaw/triklopse conversation in volume one. This comic seemed much more mature than the others, and im surprised people are so lukewarm about it.

    Art wise, while the drawings wern't as refined as other issues, I felt the simplified art fit the new coloring style better than Emilio / Enza's artwork does. I also liked the fact that there was lots of panels per page - more bang for the buck!

    2 main complaints:
    1) I didn't mind the male faces (tho i would have went more monkey myself) but I HATED hawk and the other females - they should have hairy bodies, not skin cleavage! Of course this is really a carry on problem from the old series, but i never clicked to it 'till this issue with the demaskings. Personally I would have loved them to have beards! Why not go all out and make them different!

    2) The villains. Didn't like the fact they caused so much damage yet apparently disapear after the story in this comic (since they are never in the cartoon or comic again). Val's hybernation theory works, but it wasn't explained in the comic so I can't really count it. Personally I would have made the Andreenids the 'villans', it would have given a lot more weight to the story and history of Eternia, and fans would go ape filling in the gaps between the end of this tale and the start of the cartoon. I was surprised to hear in this thread that the idea was actually considered.

    Don't like the 'artificial wings' thing, glad they stayed organic. Talk about robbing a character of his uniqueness! Besides, if the bird man did fly via artificial wings, then why don't all the rest of the races in eternia build a set to zip around in? Skeletor could put on a set and fly into castle greyskull!

    I liked the idea of how Stratos did not have to fight a guardian in the end. I had a similar idea for my MOTU movie.

    Finally - no one got the easter egg (or did I miss the post where it was mentioned?) It was actually pretty obvious (I guessed what it would be before I found it, lol!)

    Page 16, Pannel 2 , left had side - looks like a drawing of the Tardis to me!

  21. #96
    Heroic Warrior of Avion
    StratosMacca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Maryland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    4,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankos
    Page 16, Pannel 2 , left had side - looks like a drawing of the Tardis to me!
    Ladies and gentlemen... we have a winner!

    --Leanne

  22. #97
    Heroic Warrior Frankos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,584
    Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca
    Ladies and gentlemen... we have a winner!

    --Leanne
    What is my prize?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •