Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Will you still be collecting/playing MOTU at the age of 30?

Toy collecting is an awesome hobby and investment wheather you play with them or not, I don't belive in playing with them so rough that the paint wears off and the like, I try to keep them in good condition, so they'll be worth something latter on, and if you ever have a kid who apreciates your collection, maybe you can pass them on to them, witch will turn into a bigger investment that they can bank on in times of trouble, witch would be the only way I would get rid of my Heman toys, at the age of 33

Collecting toys is no different to any other hobby so I cant see why age would effect it. Fair enough if you actually do get bored of it but if you still enjoy it age shouldnt matter at all.

I turn 30 next year and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon. Collecting MOTU is the one addiction I have so age won't outgrow it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Id rather spend my money on that than getting drunk every weekend or something like that as many people do who dont have hobbies.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    I didn't see any negative replies, did you?
    Given that it's hard to get tone of voice off of a message board I'm going to say "not sure" - Jagwarlord's assessment that if he wants to play He-Man he'll play him in a videogame I wasn't sure how to take, and the sense of surprise I picked up from his post and yours at the concept of an adult still playing with toys was something that surprised me. *shrugs* Whilst I appreciate it might not be for everyone, I thought it was reasonably common knowledge that a small but vocal percentage of MOTU fans here do still play with their figures.

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    That's only two years from now for me. I hope they will have some sort of revival then! So yes for me.
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan
    Chris here...

Given that it's hard to get tone of voice off of a message board I'm going to say "not sure" - Jagwarlord's assessment that if he wants to play He-Man he'll play him in a videogame I wasn't sure how to take, and the sense of surprise I picked up from his post and yours at the concept of an adult still playing with toys was something that surprised me. *shrugs* Whilst I appreciate it might not be for everyone, I thought it was reasonably common knowledge that a small but vocal percentage of MOTU fans here do still play with their figures.

Take care...
    I can see where you're comming from on this. But believe me, I will never judge people on what they do. The fact that I collect toys isn't really accepted by most of my friends, so i know what it's like to be judged on this matter. The thing is I can't imagine actually playing with my toys. The closest as I get to playing with them is that I reposition them(quite often I might add ). And ofcourse the fact that I use them as an example to model my 3D models is almost like playing for me.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    I can see where you're comming from on this. But believe me, I will never judge people on what they do. The fact that I collect toys isn't really accepted by most of my friends, so i know what it's like to be judged on this matter. The thing is I can't imagine actually playing with my toys. The closest as I get to playing with them is that I reposition them(quite often I might add ). And ofcourse the fact that I use them as an example to model my 3D models is almost like playing for me.
    It's all cool, I wasn't offended or anything - my apologies if I picked up the wrong sentiment from your post. Like I say, it's probably not for everyone, but for me it's something I really enjoy doing and keeps me in touch with what my aunt calls my "inner child"!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERHEMANMIKE
    I really don't think that it matters what age you are.
    I whole-heartily agree. I just turned 34 years old and I still collect toys. I have been married for almost 10 years (in October) and I have a 4 year old son. No one has ever put pressure on me to grow up. If your family loves you, they let you be who you are. The cool thing is that my son loves the classic He-Man cartoon and watches it with me. He even plays with my toys. I say collect toys as long as it makes you happy. If you find it no longer makes you happy (as you grow-up) then stop.
    Look for my Children's book on Amazon.com. Search for "Silus 2000"!http://www.amazon.com/Whos-Whats-Wha...7946870&sr=8-1

I am 32 and I don't see my collecting ending anytime soon. If something grabs your attention, go for it and run with it, it could lead anywhere.
    I've gone from collecting MOTU classic and new figures to customizing them.
    Its a very creative outlet for me and I have plans for my own comic, website
    and photostories. Its great!
    I do think action figures and creative play really get the imagination going much more so than video games and its a real shame many kids these days dont play.

Quote Originally Posted by maczero
    Wow!!! I didn't realize so many of you guys are part of the 30+ crowd. I always thought at 33, I was probably one of the oldest members (if not the oldest) that regularly drops by. This is great!

Although, I don't collect the toys (financial reasons), I wouldn't give it up because of age. However, I do have a question for you single guys. Do you hide your collection from the ladies or do you proudly tell women about your hobby?
    This is a hard one for me.

I have kept my toys a secret since 7th grade. I would lock up my action figures in a cupboard, one day a kid staying with us showed a girl I had a crush on, I was devastated. Later we moved, new town, this time no-one was going to know.

In high-school, I was a He-Man fan. There was another kid who was a year younger then me, he made the mistake of telling people the he watched and played He-Man. He was made fun of, teased and just all-around tortured by other classmates.

I did not let anybody know, except my best friend.

My wife didnít even know that I was a He-Man fan for the first 12 years of marriage.
    (My kids had some of the figures but didnít know that they were He-Man figures.)

I am one of the oldest members here (not the oldest, but in the top 10)

That guy I was telling you about that got teased, I saw him last month in dead end job, no wife, no kids, gray hair and going no-where.

Over 30 still playiní Ė yeah

and very close to 40 and still playing.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'll be collecting MOTU forever!

I'm 24 and whereas I don't actually play with my figures, I just pose them in battle scenes etc or draw them. I get a lot of joy just doing that and buying the figures/stactions/busts etc.

The stactions/Busts etc are quite 'adult' so I don't get embarrased or anything. My parents still support me in collecting MOTU and often buy the stuff for me for birthdays/Christmases.

As for my friends, some think its OK, some think I'm mad!

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar
    I'm over 30 now, and yeah I still collect and play... I plan to be doing so at 40 and 50 too! And so on...

I'm already 30 and still collect MOTU.

Why stop now?

Just chiming in to add my name to the oldies club. I'm 32, and still collecting.
    "If I had a dollar for every time a tentacle-headed guy in a cape and boots said that to me, I'd... well, I'd probably have a dollar."

I am 28 and probably play with my MOTU toys more than I did as a kid. I have no doubt in my mind both my wife and myself will be collecting/buying toys well into our 80-90's

I will say that being older does help since the toy lines seem to keep getting more $$$ in price
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Well, now that we're all in our 40s, who's still collecting?

Well i am nearly 42 so I guess the answer was yes lol
    cogito ergo doleo

I'm 50, don't collect any more but I am still talking about it so...
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

42 and collecting more toys than I did in my 20s lol. Keeps me young and I can do it with my kids which makes it even more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    42 and collecting more toys than I did in my 20s lol. Keeps me young and I can do it with my kids which makes it even more fun!
    Well we all make more money now than we did in our 20ís lol. Iím 41 and still collecting strong
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Short answer is yes, but I have gravitated towards Mondo and have cherry picked some of the statues by Tweeterhead.

I'm 44 and my man cave will be about 70% dedicated to toy line collectibles. About 40% of those are MOTU related
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

48, still reading comics, watching cartoons and collecting action figures.

Heroic Warrior
    If MOTU still exists in twelve years and I'm not dead, hell yeah. MOTU is more or less my biggest fandom/obsession rn and has been for like three years.

I really hope Revelation and the CGI show create a new generation of fans so the Org will stick around for a few more decades.