View Poll Results: Which Is Your Favorite Masters of the Universe Period?

Voters
236. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 1980s

156 66.10%
  • The 1990s

5 2.12%
  • The 2000s

75 31.78%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is your favorite Masters of the Universe period?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. R.K.Z
    The first season of the new version was great, an origin episode that could'nt be topped, Skeletor's background detailed further, the Hordak cameos in a well-written episode that made Two-Badd a great character in his own right, Tri-Clops tried to betray Skeletor occasiony. A good deal of gems.

But the toyline was barly articulate, the second season sucked barring four episodes, three of which did'nt include that crappy snake-armour...or the Snake-Men in particular, maybye if they had stayed with what the first season offered, things would'nt have dragged on and utterly soured. It's perfectly fine to evolve a show to sell toys, but don't sacrifice substance for style, and since people like to take stabs at N.A He-Man, I have every right to do the same to this version of the franchise, which became nowhere near as good as people claimed it to be.

...Outside of a great comic of course
    Who are you arguing with?

-Brett
    Who is curious.

={+}=

Nobody in particular, I just find it annoying people can do nothing but say "N.A Sucks" and get off with a free pass, whilst the new version can be hailed as Jesus Christ.

Every version has positives and negatives

Nobody in particular, I just find it annoying people can do nothing but say "N.A Sucks" and get off with a free pass, whilst the new version can be hailed as Jesus Christ.

I'm not sure anyone said that, save Horde Trooper, who admitted he was drunk. Many feel it is the weakest of the four, if they bash it for no reason, explain why it shouldn't, your thoughts on the new series shouldn;t have much to do with it.

-Brett
    Who has to do with it.

={+}=

Quote Originally Posted by Brett
    I'm not sure anyone said that, save Horde Trooper, who admitted he was drunk. Many feel it is the weakest of the four, if they bash it for no reason, explain why it shouldn't

I don't want to use the word "bashing" (and apologies to the drunken loonitic ), but a great deal of disdain for it is implied when it comes to comparing all three versions, just because it changed the premise and made the least amount of profit, it's regarded as a black sheep.

I mena, come on, the original Ninja Turtles cartoon barly resembles the original source material, and that's still regarded as the greatest part of the franchise, even with the new cartoon coming close to surpassing it.

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    It's very close between the original, and the 2002 reboot for me, with the reboot eeking out a slight victory. The MYP team did a lot of great animation, the storyline had continuity, orgins, great characterization, and voicework, not to mention many many many MANY nods to the Filmation original. To me out of the three, MYP was tied closer to the comic book orgins Minicomics, and of course the MVC comics than either of the other two series, and it did an excellent job IMO of tying together the right ingredients for old school fans, and newbies alike.
    This isn't to discredit the Filmation toon either. When you consider how bad censorship really was in most of our heyday ( I know we have some youngin's here) It's amazing what Lou's crack team of writers, and animators were able to pull off. Yeah, some of the animation was glitchy, or used a lot of stock footage, but when you consider the fact that they also had very small budgets to work with, and that live action shows like Galactica were reusing footage at a much more noticable rate, I think it worked out for them well. Filmation's toon also had some memorable voicework, and artwork. The backdrops of the classic series even put many of today's action/drama animated shows to shame. It's also the show that got most of us into Masters, or for those of us who had figures before the toon (Like me ) it gave us another entertaining set of stories when we were done reading the free mini comics. But today the new show holds my attention more than the original, and that was certainly no easy feat.

On the subject of The New Adventures, Like most fans I think unless you made it in for the very beginning where the comics, and toon set up the beginning for you, it looked a lot like the far fetched silliness GIJOE was hitting before it imploded on itself, giving birth to EXTREME. A Sci Fi space show, which neither He-Man, or Gi Joe were ever expected to be by the aging fan base, and of course newbies of the day were easily wowed more by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles once they came to be. Besides them, the aging MOTU fanbase was just as wooed, maybe not by the toys in all cases, but certainly the underground comic book, toon (Which IMO borrowed some tricks from Filmation's sleeve), and of course the droves of Konami Beat em ups. I remember saving allowance money in Jr. High for a solid month to pool with my brother to get the NES version of TMNT II the Arcade game because we found the Arcade cabinet so much fun. So I think NA took a calculated risk at the wrong time. Had Jet Lag done a MOTU reboot, and used the "Future battle with Skeletor" as a 3 part storyarc, it may have proved more paletable with the old fans, and new fans. I will say some of the figures looked cool. My favorite being Optick, but the dramatic changes to He-Man, and Skeletor also turned off many a fan. And so it does remain a distant third in my personal ranking.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Nice to see some people in here chose to disrespect the N.A with less..."mature" responses
    I think I'll continue with the mature approach. I never really knew about She-Ra until 2000, so that era is out. Since She-Ra is a 80's property, that's out too.

Of course the facts I honestly like NA, really started collecting in 1994 and got most of the classic items I now own during the 90s give even more weight to my vote.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Public Enemy #1!
    Personally speaking, it has to be the 80s for me.
    I have the power!

More power Multibot!

Yeah **** the 'NA SUCKS' mentaility has lingered here for the 4 years and before joining.....inevitabely by people who've viewed scarse few episodes ...and chastise the fact that it greatly differs from Filmation! Ive said about 35 damn times previously..I feel NA adds great depth complexity and perpose to the MOTU saga ...
    ]

Last edited by HORDE TROOPER; April 4, 2005 at 06:40pm.

I have to go with the 80s because I like camp and light hearted fun more than a continuous serious story any day of the week.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

LSOEVXE
    Not much happened in the 90s.

Pretty Handsome Awkward motubot's Avatar
    I didn't like the 90's one much, and the 80's motu was my favorite.

The 80's He-Man is the best, when the character's gimmicks were the selling point for the toys...Somehow Mattel forgot about this in the 2000's and did not hype up these "angles" in their commercials...They also started to not include them on the toy packaging.

Also, the background music from the filmation cartoon is, well, great.
    THE HUNTER OF MOTU

LSOEVXE
    This is just a post to get this thread back to the top of the screen.

I just want to get the people who haven't read this post yet to read it and vote.

More votes! More votes!

Let's try for 100 votes at least! Then I'll stop. Please don't vote more than once with different screen names.

Edit: Please do not post back-to-back messages
    Last edited by Brett; April 4, 2005 at 12:13pm.

It's more of a 1 and 1a for me, but I went with the 2000 version. Nothing will ever replace my love for the 80s line, but the figures were much better when handled by the 4H. And the MVCreations comics were light years ahead of the 80s MOTU comics, IMO.

I prefer the 80s cartoon and all the merchandise tie-ins that came along with the line back then. The newer toon was great too but the line didn't live long enough to have all the really awesome tie-ins that the 80s version had.

NA He-Man just didn't do it for me.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

davelove
    i love the cartoons and the figures from the 2000 series , but the eighties was a more profitable time for he-man , maybe cos of its "freshness" , i think the 2000 series was a treat for all of us fans , and my little lad is obsessed with it too (nothing to do with me)

Classic all the way!

The new series was cool though, in that there was the whole excitement factor over what all the updated characters would look and sound like.

LSOEVXE
    I voted for the 1980s.

As short-lived as it was, the 2000s were the best in my opinion. The show was reinvented wonderfully and the comics were visually stunning. I loved it all.

Scholar of Fantasy The Overlord's Avatar
    The 1980s. Nothing beats discovering MOTU for the first time. I'd give anything to be able to go back & relive that decade.
    "The privilege of a lifetime is just being who you are."

(Joseph Campbell)

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    I'm gonna have to go with the 2000s!

The 80's ... most definitely.

I voted for the 2000s - for the reason that it's effectively an encapsulation of all periods of MOTU - not only do we have the new toons, comics, action figures, stactions, busts, and more, but we're getting the classic show and NA released on DVD; everything comes together in one giant celebration.

Plus, I've just responded better to MOTU this time, by virtue of my adulthood I guess. Everything was much more transient for me as a kid - maybe that's not unusual - and the collector's mentality of an adult is somehow much more satisfying. I gaze appreciatively at my collection, rather than just bashing it about like when I was 7, burying He-Man in the sand-pit, etc.
    Guess again, lobster-lips

Classic 80's,
    In a world of myth and magic and sythensized musicwhat's not to love?
    My book "Musings from the Lips of a Dark Rose " is out : http://www.amazon.com/Musings-Lips-D...&redirect=true
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!

I enjoyed the early, early 80's MOTU the most - before even the cartoon. When things were undefined and had a bit more of a "Conan" flavor.

On a quick side note...

The issue with NA is that the concept itself wasn't bad but Mattel's meddling and the horrific character redesigns were murder. As for MYP (I'm going to get my tail kicked in for this) not all fans loved it. In fact I rank it slightly above NA simply for character design. The show itself was not that wonderful as far as storyline went. Aside from that it was signed on to the WORST channel possible and few people really got to enjoy it. I found the comic book versions of the MYP far more enticing than the show...so on the "they all have pros and cons" note I agree... just in the case of NA it was painfully and blatantly toy showcase as oppossed to actual story for the sake of story which was why filmation's was so succesful and why the last two attempts crashed and burned. Toy companies should leave the animation and story-lines to the professionals. They'd end up with much happier results.
    My book "Musings from the Lips of a Dark Rose " is out : http://www.amazon.com/Musings-Lips-D...&redirect=true
    YAYAYAYAY!!!!
    I'm in heaven!!!