Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone know how to restyle POP dolls to their original hairstyle???

Quote Originally Posted by Dayvid View Post
    Just received my spinnerella loose! Washed her hair TWICE to try get the rubber band goop out. I've made progress.... but it's still there!! Never thought i'd be washing a silly dolls hair but spinnerella, you're worth it
    What are you using to wash it? If you haven't already then try dish soap. Doll hair is plastic and regular shampoo doesn't always work well. I swear by Dawn. That stuff gets everything out.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Unless the hair is dirty, it does not need shampoo. Just apply conditioner and brush from the ends up.

Thnks guys.. i've made progress. It's still "tacky" at the roots though... i'll try fix this.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    you can do it! it really does take a lot of effort, but once her hair is clear of the goop, you're going to be so glad you spent the time getting it clean!
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

I'm very glad you got your own Spinny, Dayvid. She is most beautiful of all POP girls.
    Now I do feel guilty for buying her comic & comb from you!

Quote Originally Posted by neno View Post
    I'm very glad you got your own Spinny, Dayvid. She is most beautiful of all POP girls.
    Now I do feel guilty for buying her comic & comb from you!
    Hahaha don't worry about it! enjoy them

Never had a genuine Spinnerella, so not sure there.

Sweet Bee is tricky due to the curl.

For Sweet Bee I used a little dish washing liquid soap and a squirt of scentless Frebreeze. After shampooing and drying, use one of the horse brushes to work on tangles. If the tangles/curls are too bad, try dipping the hair in boiling water for a few seconds and then brush thru. This will straighten the hair out, but it makes it easier to deal with. Once straightened and combed out, if you want to restore the curl cut up a couple straws to make mini-curlers and rubber band them into place. Dip hair again in boiling water for a few seconds, let set and dry. Remove straw-curlers and it should look pretty close to her original look.

Hope it helps.

Congrats on your Spinny, Dayvid!

Quote Originally Posted by headache79 View Post

For Sweet Bee I used a little dish washing liquid soap and a squirt of scentless Frebreeze. After shampooing and drying, use one of the horse brushes to work on tangles. If the tangles/curls are too bad, try dipping the hair in boiling water for a few seconds and then brush thru. This will straighten the hair out, but it makes it easier to deal with. Once straightened and combed out, if you want to restore the curl cut up a couple straws to make mini-curlers and rubber band them into place. Dip hair again in boiling water for a few seconds, let set and dry. Remove straw-curlers and it should look pretty close to her original look.

Hope it helps.
    What a brilliant idea! I never thought to make mini curlers! I've had success with twist ties myself. Just wind them around the hair, twist it into curls, then blow dry. It makes for a tighter curl. I was using a pencil before but wasn't really happy with the results.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Magicat View Post
    Congrats on your Spinny, Dayvid!
    Thanks! She's a beaut!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by headache79 View Post

Hope it helps.
    Great idea!! Thanks, i might actually try this.

- - - Updated - - -

Shampoo has worked a treat at breaking down the elastic band goop. Her hair is no longer hard and tacky at the root! Not trying to make it look a bit neater

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    I've had good luck with restoring the curly haired girls with washing thoroughly with a moisturizing shampoo, then saturating the hair in hair conditioner. I work through the hair with a wide-toothed comb, and then a narrower-toothed comb. I leave the conditioner on overnight, then rinse it off and "scrunch" the hair so it tries in a nice shape. Most of the time, this works to restore the original set and gives a nice curl back.

I'd try hair conditioner first to remover rubber band goop - though this won't remove stains caused by rubber bands - nothing will, to my knowledge remove that. Olive oil worked for me to remove rubber bands in one extreme situation, but I'd try hair conditioner first, because olive oil is very sticky and I don't totally trust it. It's hard to rinse out entirely and you can get a tacky texture to the hair.

With really frizzy hair on Glimmer and Sweetbee, I have also "relaxed" the frizz by dipping the doll's head in boiling water for a couple seconds, as headache79 suggested. One can also curl hair in this way doing pin curls and submerging for longer times. It's a whole lot of fun! However, I would NEVER do this on a Spinnerella without having done it many times on Glimmers or Sweetbees that you're not too attached to.
    Last edited by Salamandra; August 6, 2014 at 09:31pm.

The stains are a littl annoying though they are minimal on my spinny. Conditioner made the hair feel better but in terms of removing the goop, shampoo got rid of mine. I had heard not to bother using shampoo and I thought the same.. it's not real hair. But in terms of "tacky" elastic band goop - shampoo at the roots once and it's gone!

Does anyone know why Mattel chose to use some of these really elaborate hairstyles? Perfuma's and Mermista's original hairdos are so complex.

DSC00164.jpg I try to use same hairstyles Mattel used in the catalogs or promo Pictures for the prototypes for my own Princess Of Power collection. Immediadly I remove the rubber bands from the hairs. Most of these are useless, because melted or broken...

After this I wash the hairs with regular shampoo... brush... wrap curls... at last use hairspray...

Only for few dolls I have use new rubberbands again. Otherwise I like the hairs open like Mattel represent them on vinatge photos.
    WANTED: MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE - Toy Collection 1984 (MOC/MISB)
    - FISTO (Masks Of Power) NEW! - JITSU (Clash Of Arms) NEW! - BATTLE ARMOR HE-MAN (Mexico) NEW!
    - TRAP JAW (DC Comic) NEW! - FAKER (DC Comic)
    - BATTLE CAT - POINT DREAD & TALON FIGHTER - WIND RAIDER - ATTAK-TRAK (Mexico) - CASTLE GRAYSKULL

Great Deals:
    captain

Quote Originally Posted by Magicat View Post
    Does anyone know why Mattel chose to use some of these really elaborate hairstyles? Perfuma's and Mermista's original hairdos are so complex.
    Never found anything concrete. My personal theory was that both Mermista & Perfuma had similar hair colors to other figures (Frosta & She-Ra). I always thought it was to help set them apart a bit more. As a kid I always kept Perfuma's hair close to the original hairstyle, so it was easy to recreate that recently when I upgraded my decades old played with Perfuma from memory. Mermista's hair was quickly removed from banding as a kid -- Crystal Falls and frequently dunkings made it a necessity. Still working on recreating her with my recently upgraded Mermista. I have been tempted to just bite the bullet and drop a lot on a MOC Mermista and just take her out of the package.

Thanks for all this info, guys! I've just decided to fix up my old childhood collection and I know this thread will come in handy.

I'm a novice at hair care and styling, so I'm a bit nervous, especially with the curly-headed dolls like Glimmer and Sweet Bee. The directions you guys have kindly given seem easy enough but should I maybe buy a loose Glimmer or two to try it out on before attempting it on my childhood version? Or is it something that shouldn't be easy to mess up? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    I just recently purchased a Spinnerella, and I was hoping to see how her hair was originally styled. I can't even see to find any good pics of her online.

Any help would be VERY appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Please Give My MOTUC Sale Thread A Look! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...easts-For-Sale
    I have a new Thread in the Vintage Marketplace! Check it out!! http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=209217
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler