Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emperor Tyrannak Work in Progress

Eternian Sculpter Wannabe Royalt1us's Avatar

Emperor Tyrannak Work in Progress

OK, here is the first of two threads demonstrating how I go about sculpting the busts that Baena and I have been doing. This thread will be following the developement of the third place runner up Fan-bust, Emperor Tyrannak.
    So here is what I start with.

First I get my supplies and tools together along with my sketch or reference. I use a 1/2" inch dowl as my post, tin foil, super sculpey, craft gems, straight pins, washers, and anything else that might fit a particular need. TI only use a few tools that I've grown a custom to. A wood sculpting knife, a fine point ball tipped scuplting tool, a set of small, precision flat head screw drivers, an exacto knife, a dremel tool, and a blow dryer.

Next I form the main body shape out of the tin foil and attch it to the dowl.

Then I 'skin it' with a thin layaer of super sculpey to give me a base to work on.

After cooking the base so that it's a hard surface to work on I mark out guidelines for my design to find out if I need to cut into the base before sculpting onto it.

In most cases I do, so I go ahead and cut away what I need to.

So there you go. That's howI get started. Stay tuned for more updates as progress continues. And look for my WIP thread on Nymph, the fifth and final Fan Bust runner-up.
    Last edited by Royalt1us; May 21, 2005 at 10:23am.

blako
    That's really cool that you have shown WIP pics from the VERY beginning! I always thought there had to be more to it than that since the end result is always so PHENOMINAL! You have a lot of talent my friend! I can't wait to see this one go through his stages all the way to final completion.

Blako

thanks for the wip threads, i'll have more to say as they progress.
    you can see pics of all my projects on my facebook page. facebook.com/don.schomer or email me :[email protected]

Look'in good!! Keep us updated.
    These Pretzels Are Making Me Thirsty!!!!!!

Hulk Hogan is Wrestling!!!!

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do.

So am I gonna hafta continue this thread, with pics of how I paint the busts?

He's lookin' good so far Royalt1us.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena
    So am I gonna hafta continue this thread, with pics of how I paint the busts?

He's lookin' good so far Royalt1us.
    hells yeah!

HEROVERSE IS COMING...

Lionheart avatar by Baena

Update

After preping the base, I start sculpting on the details. Here are the most recent updates on Tyrannak.

POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar

Oh no!
    It looks so great already, I can tell I need to start saving for this bust!

Heroic Warrior
    That looks great so far Royalt1us!

I have a question about your process - Do you cure the sculpey as you go with a heat gun/har dryer?

You wrote that you cure the initial basic shape over the foil - but do you proceed to sculpt - cure - repeat?

Cheers

Tom that is lookin' sweet~! it's amazing how quickly it's starting to look so impressive. i always assumed that you roughed out the whole main shape before beginning greater details. i guess i was wrong. it's always cool to learn new stuff
    you can see pics of all my projects on my facebook page. facebook.com/don.schomer or email me :[email protected]

Heroic Warrior Buffalo-Bill-Man's Avatar
    I've loved everything you've done so far, but this one is the one I've been waiting for the most. I can't wait to see the rest of the process and the finished bust.
    I'll be ordering this one for sure.

BBM-

Royalt1us, I'm just wondering what your methods are for sculpting all the little fiddly bits, do you make them separately, then attatch? Just your eye for detail is amazing, and any advice would be much appreciated

Oh and one last question, how did you go about doing the long hair on the cat lady? I've had probs with hair in the past, just wondering how you handle it. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sun
    That looks great so far Royalt1us!
    I have a question about your process - Do you cure the sculpey as you go with a heat gun/har dryer?
    You wrote that you cure the initial basic shape over the foil - but do you proceed to sculpt - cure - repea
    Thanks. Yea, I cure each layer of sculpey with either a hair dryer or the oven so that I can work on other details without fear of ruining what I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    I'm just wondering what your methods are for sculpting all the little fiddly bits, do you make them separately, then attatch? Just your eye for detail is amazing, and any advice would be much appreciated
    No I sculpt everything right onto the main piece, but I sculpt them one at a time. I sculpt, at least this bust, as if i'm putting on his armor one peice at a time. That way when it's finished it feels, at least to me, a little more believeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Surya
    Oh and one last question, how did you go about doing the long hair on the cat lady? I've had probs with hair in the past, just wondering how you handle it. Thanks again!!
    The cat Lady was my second try at long flowing hair. Basically I start with thin strips or rolls of clay and I lay them down in the basic shape i want the hair to have. Then I painstakingly detail each strip or roll individually with strands of hair, braids, etc. It's a pain, but I like the result I've gotten so far.
    I hope that helps.

Now here are a couple more up dates as i've now sculpted on a couple more layers of armor. First his side armor.

Then his Breast plate.

awesome, freakin awesome. keep it coming royal.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I missed the backstory on Tyrannak so I have no idea who he is but he sure looks cool. Though I see a resemblence to the UK Horde Prime.

Can someone fill me in on this guy?
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Looks great so far, thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction
    I missed the backstory on Tyrannak so I have no idea who he is but he sure looks cool. Though I see a resemblence to the UK Horde Prime.
    I'm getting a little concerned about this UK Horde Prime. Does someone have an image of him I can compare Battle Brak's design to?

Quote Originally Posted by Royalt1us
    I'm getting a little concerned about this UK Horde Prime. Does someone have an image of him I can compare Battle Brak's design to?
    He appeared in the UK Star Comics I think. Someone posted a pic of him in the fan art forum once but I cant find it.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by Royalt1us
    I used to have it but the org purged it from my attachments for some reason. I'll check my home computer if no one has posted it by this evening

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Battle Brak drew his updated version of Horde Prime. Then the contest came and it was for unique characters. So he changed the name (and possibly backstory) of his Horde Prime design.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=Horde+Prime

Dr. Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Omega
    Battle Brak drew his updated version of Horde Prime. Then the contest came and it was for unique characters. So he changed the name (and possibly backstory) of his Horde Prime design.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=Horde+Prime

Dr. Omega
    I think Royalt is looking for the original picture from the UK comic book, the one with the purple outfit, silver boots and green fish face

Here's one, HP in the middle panels.

http://he-man.dyndns.tv/he-man/comic...-89-page-1.jpg
    Myko - The Most Powerful Mushroom in the Universe
    a.k.a. The Official King of Cool

http://myko--.deviantart.com

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Myko....

Would you believe me if I said I just spent the last 30 minutes looking for that picture in the indexes of your site, and trough the .org's search-function?

I finnally found it using the org-search....

BTW, what's with your boards being completely blasted to bits? Lots sql-errors, but there's google-cahe showing off perfectly working pages, plus most of the pics n stuff for the site seems to work.

Thanks Myko,

Tyrannak, may be similar... but he is NOT Horde Prime.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog