Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTU novels?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MOTU novels?

Fantasy novels do well enough. Why not tell the story of MOTU through novels. Its obvious adults are the main fans and novel are a great way to tell the story.
    It would really help MOTU continue as property and allow the stories to be told. We know there is so much that could be told. Lets have it.
    Last edited by ickzer1; July 5, 2005 at 04:33pm.

I would at least BUY them - I already have a pile of books and even bigger pile of comics waiting for me to get time to read them.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    I'd be game, just as long as they read like novels and not fan-fiction.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

It's one of the ideas that I think mattel should pursue. maybe they can't start with novels after they failed so horribly at promoting the brand, but reintroducing MOTU into the public eye, fanning the existing sparks of a fanbase into flames is comepletely do-able. It's just that mattels seems so utterly clueless and incompetent that i can't see it happening in the near future.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

It would work if they were graphic novels... Otherwise it wouldn't be MotU for me. I have no imagination so I need the pictures.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    It would work if they were graphic novels... Otherwise it wouldn't be MotU for me. I have no imagination so I need the pictures.
    I'd like some illustration as well. Graphic Novels would be most ideal, IMO, but even if they did more 'regular' novels with a drawing every few pages to show what the characters and setting look like would be nice.

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Coming back to the brand as an adult, one of the first things I looked around for was some kind of MOTU novel. I was sure something would have been out there. Alas... no luck.
    Frankly, I'm surprised. What a rich world to play in this would be for the right author. A quality series would be a dream. Thanks for breathing life back into this thread, Ms. Dreadful (been hooked on Roast Gooble Dinner the last few months after discovering it, by the way -love listening!).
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Heroic Warrior
    I too am surprised that there have been no novels. Mattel is just passing up money.

I would love to read a novel based on the original mini-comics.

More than that, I'd like to see multiple authors given free reign with the material. Don't make them conform to a single continuity. Let them run wild with their own ideas, giving fans a choice of whose interpretation they want to follow. The most popular novel could possibly be adapted into a movie, meaning the fans could actually have some input as to what makes it to the screen.

Heroic Warrior
    If D&D can do it, if Pathfinder can do, if Warhammer 40k can do it, if Guild Wars can do, why can't MotU?

Because Mattel doesn't care, at least when MotU's involved. Not a prob with Barbie or Monster High, but then again, not surprising.

Maybe this time will be different.

YEAH right.

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    I'd love to read MOTU novels. Heck, I'd love to write one even...
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

MotU Novels?

Does anyone know if there have ever been any Masters of the Universe novels? I have looked, but have been unsuccessful so far.

I feel as though the MotU universe is so huge and the potential to create a novel series, either on a He-Man storyline or the backstories of side characters, would be great.

If not, does anyone know why this hasn't been done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None that I've heard of. Comics and storybooks are the only way to go.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen7 View Post
    Does anyone know if there have ever been any Masters of the Universe novels? I have looked, but have been unsuccessful so far.

I feel as though the MotU universe is so huge and the potential to create a novel series, either on a He-Man storyline or the backstories of side characters, would be great.

If not, does anyone know why this hasn't been done yet?

Although no MOTU novels currently exist, I am 100% behind the idea. A Novel would be a great way to flesh out back stories in ways that comic books just can't. I am kind of amazed they never put any effort to publish a novel because the novel would be a great springboard to make the movie.

Part of the narrative feels like there should be a romance novel type story between He-Man and Teela. But that kind of thing never gets told in comic books. In the book this story would be fully fleshed out if there was a novel.

This has New York Times best seller written all over it.
    Last edited by InThe80s; April 26, 2016 at 09:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Although no MOTU novels currently exist, I am 100% behind the idea. A Novel would be a great way to flesh out back stories in ways that comic books just can't. I am kind of amazed they never put any effort to publish a novel because the novel would be a great springboard to make the movie.

Part of the narrative feels like there should be a romance novel type story between He-Man and Teela. But that kind of thing never gets told in comic books. In the book this story would be fully fleshed out if there was a novel.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c0f061397e.jpg
    This has New York Times best seller written all over it.
    My point exactly. Comic books can't dive into the characters' backgrounds like novels can. Or, give a more detailed perspective to a character's thoughts. I can't believe over the years that not one single novel has been written. For a franchise to fully take off, there needs to be novels of some kind written to help expand the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen7 View Post
    My point exactly. Comic books can't dive into the characters' backgrounds like novels can. Or, give a more detailed perspective to a character's thoughts. I can't believe over the years that not one single novel has been written. For a franchise to fully take off, there needs to be novels of some kind written to help expand the universe.
    I agree with you. What is really astonishing to me is why Mattel has not picked this low hanging fruit. It is a lot easier to write and publish a novel then it is to make comic books. A novel has a high rate of return for small investment of resources. A series of novels is a must have part of any major franchise because books lend credibility and seriousness to the subject matter. It is time to stop looking at MOTU as just toys and comic books or we will never get anywhere. It is time for MOTU to get serious about its' long term viability.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Its an interesting topic, one that has been on the minds of fans for over 10 years now.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I think if MotU did something along the lines of a book like Star Wars: Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, but with individual backstories on the Masters, that be fantastic. And a novel series outlining the main story. It'd be a great way to transition into a possible movie because you can flesh out ideas and see what readers like and don't like.

I'm a bibliophile so I'd be on board with a MOTU/POP series. If written well, it'd be a fun way to delve into the universe again. And it would give a chance to grant focus to other characters like Man-At-Arms or Glimmer. And if they shifted perspective around, we'd get a chance to get into the characters' minds, see how they think and reason.

And there's no reason such a series has to be for grown ups only. Plenty of franchises do/did very well catering to both adults and young readers.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

What a great thread! It's nice to know I'm not the only one wondering why there haven't been any novels.

I think there is a very decent chance of tie-in novels once the movie finally gets off the ground. They will be establishing a whole new continuity, and that's perfect for a series of books for more mature readers.

Now, if only there was some way to get in on the ground floor and volunteer to write one...

A friend directed me to this old thread.

Well, these aren't official, but they are some MOTU novels that I wrote and people seem to like them.

And they're free

www.MOTUBT.weebly.com
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

MOTU: The Bloodline Trilogy

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Thanks for the link to the download site!

It really broke my heart when I saw that 45% of fans outright voted "NO" to new MOTU novels.

Even though I feared the result would be something like that, I was still kind of surprised that almost half of fans aren't interested in MOTU novels. That just seems outrageous to me.

I can only imagine what a resounding "99% YES vote" might have yielded. We were fantasizing about trying to get luminaries like Larry DiTillio onboard for a very theoretical official adventure series that could really dive deep into the lore and mythos. *Sigh.* What might have been, alas!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 2, 2018 at 03:54pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by KeldorTheCursed View Post

Well, these aren't official, but they are some MOTU novels that I wrote and people seem to like them.

And they're free

www.MOTUBT.weebly.com
    Thanks! I can’t wait to get started on these!

Cover art is gorgeous

Just wanted to let you know that I've read through your first two MOTU novels and am currently about midway through book three. I have absolutely LOVED them! Without spoiling the ending of the third book, is there any chance you'll continue with your MOTU novels? Not necessarily this storyline as I get it's a trilogy, but I really enjoyed your work and love your take on the universe. Would love to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by KeldorTheCursed View Post

And they're free

www.MOTUBT.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by ickzer1 View Post
    Fantasy novels do well enough. Why not tell the story of MOTU through novels. Its obvious adults are the main fans and novel are a great way to tell the story.
    It would really help MOTU continue as property and allow the stories to be told. We know there is so much that could be told. Lets have it.
    I would love this - but the novels would have to take a more serious approach, that would be different than the cartoons many remember/know - because I don't think writing Beast Man or Mer-man as bumbling fools would work well in novel form.

If I understood correctly, Mark and Rebecca Taylor said they were working on a novel based on his original storyline for He-Man. You have to remember that the He-Man we have today is a derivation of what Mark originally had in his head (which did not include channel strength through the Power Sword, I believe.) It would be the story that is in his head, including He-Man and Skeletor's backstory. Rebecca said the Filmation He-Man was for your 4yo self, and the novel is for your 40yo self. He was trying to get it done for Power-Con, but was too exhausting and had him hold off. So, we'll see if we get it by the end of the year or early next.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX