Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU novels?

I think it can be adult without being hardcore blood, violence and sex. I wouldnt mind taking a more adult approach. But that doesnt mean that I think everyone should die and that everyone should do each other.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Did anyone actually say that? By "mature", I would hope that would imply the maturity to not revel in pointless sex and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by ickzer1
    You mean dead with no ongoing story? .
    The new cartoon series had plenty of story and subplots going on in it- what it lacked was time to tell the story. You can only get so much depth in a 20 minute episode. I would like to see novels that take the new cartoon plot and expand upon it. I think there is plenty of room to make the story more mature and stay true to its roots.

MOTU doesn’t have to be rated R but its only us adults left supporting it. Might as well treat it like a REAL fantasy brand and bust out the novels.
    Depends on what you consider REAL fantasy. I think MOTU could work perfectly well told at the level of maturity that Harry Potter is told at.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph
    I don't know. I like the idea of novels- but I am not so sure about making MOTU "darker and realistic". I like MOTU the way it is.

For example, the new Thundercats comics were "darker and realistic" compared to the cartoon- but for me, it didn't work. The comic wasn't Thundercats anymore- it was stripped of all the campy charm that is Thundercats.
    The thundercats comics were terrible. See you can make a property darker and grittier without changing the characters. Skeletor is The Evil Lord of Destruction or the Overlord of Evil...now honestly anyone with that as their job description has to have blood on his hands.

Thundercats just ran with the mature themes instead of really giving us the characters depicted properly.

I don't think Skelly should be a mass murderer, but he should be a tyrant. anyone gets in his way they have two choices, join him or die. the struggle needs to have more menace than just taking over Eternia. these are BAD BAD guys. they need to do bad bad things. no need to depicted rape and other too eextreme things. but the MOTU movie got one thing right...the villains were out for blood not for jokes. If the MOTU books can give us the same moods as the norem paintings the alcala illustrations coupled in with the filmation fantasy i think they can easily be winners.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The new cartoon series had plenty of story and subplots going on in it- what it lacked was time to tell the story. You can only get so much depth in a 20 minute episode. I would like to see novels that take the new cartoon plot and expand upon it. I think there is plenty of room to make the story more mature and stay true to its roots.

Depends on what you consider REAL fantasy. I think MOTU could work perfectly well told at the level of maturity that Harry Potter is told at.
    The cartoon is over. There is no ongoing story there. I dont know what show youve been been watching for new stories.

REAL fantasy is whatever works best to tell the story in novel format that doesnt insult adult fantasy reader intelligence.

Its not hard to figure out. Just think about what you would like for a moment.

The cartoon is over. There is no ongoing story there. I dont know what show youve been been watching for new stories. .
    The classic series is also dead. Heck, the whole property is dead- why bother resurrecting anything from it?

Personally, I would prefer novels that deal with what is established in the new toon. Obviously you would like to see something else. There is no need to be insulting.

REAL fantasy is whatever works best to tell the story in novel format that doesn’t insult adult fantasy reader intelligence.

Its not hard to figure out. Just think about what you would like for a moment.
    When I think of real fantasy- I think of the Song of Fire and Ice Series by George RR Martain. While it would be interesting to see MOTU written like that- they are not enough MOTU characters to survive the slaughter.

Harry Potter on the other hand has the right mix of fantasy and wonder paired with mature themes to in my mind would work for MOTU. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, and there are grey character, death, violence, drama, and tension.

My intelligence would be insulted if it was written anything like Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time”. Started off with an interesting enough premise, but then went to pot after the first few books. Talk about stupidily written bad guys and silly plots. Blech.
    Last edited by Steph; July 6, 2005 at 03:52pm.

The classic series is also dead. Heck, the whole property is dead- why bother resurrecting anything from it?

Personally, I would prefer novels that deal with what is established in the new toon. Obviously you would like to see something else. There is no need to be insulting.

I say start the whole damn thing over and use use the best of both series with fresh new stuff as well. Just start over so new fans can see wht its all about.

Novels would be a new canon that could could continue an ongoing story. Just have people like Val or MYP story writers invloved so the characters stay true to to who they are. Doesnt sound so bad does it?

There must be a way to balance it out. So many other properties have done it successfully.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    I think novels should continue where the comics left off, if we can't get more comics. and the comics should continue, with the stories Val&Co. had in mind.
    I hate Mattel.

Okay, not really, but I do hate the way they seem to screw up anything good anymore...

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

clashfromjem
    games-workshops series of novels has been really successful and they are based on wargames of epic scale with huge battles and slaughter everywhere.
    their longest running series has 2 main characters who have survived, trolls, dragons, giants, daemons, entire armies, foul magics all the time keeping you on the edge of your seat with scary fantasy action whilst keeping the characters realistic and their survival believable.
    get gw's black flame publications (they do all gw's outside lincenced properties like judge dredd and freddy vs jason) to do the books with an author like william king and they would be amazing.

thats the violence sorted now for the other.....keldor and evil lyn did have a squishy relationship so that could be covered (within reason, no "full, round, firm and heaving beasts, and no huge, rampant, engorged throbbing pens" either thank you).

no one would mind evil lynn and keldor kissing, but no one wants to see beastman running around without his fur on!

Harry Potter on the other hand has the right mix of fantasy and wonder paired with mature themes to in my mind would work for MOTU. The bad guys are bad, the good guys are good, and there are grey character, death, violence, drama, and tension.
    I agree 100%

I want a mix of old and new though. The old toon had such a lot of great history and mythology in it, the new set up some very nice elements too. I see no reason why either has to be completely shut out. in fact a competent writer can bring the best of both worlds into one fantastic one.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Dude i'll take anytype of continuation of a MOTU story with stick figure pictures. I think that a novel would be choice and a great idea.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I'd love to see official MOTU novels on the shelves. When I first heard about the MOTU book coming out this summer I'd hoped it would be a novel [but the behind the scenes stuff will be interesting to read].

Pictures are not a necessity [outside of some cool cover art]: A few Transformers novels have come out in the last year or so. A trilogy that acted as sort of a transition between the G1 cartoon, Dreamwave comics, and the G1 movie. And a fourth book that's called Transformers Legends. TL is several short stories based on the G1, Beast Wars, and Armada series. I thought all 4 books were entertaining reads, money well spent.

I'm certain that MOTU could make for a fantastic book series if only Mattel would give it half a chance.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; July 7, 2005 at 11:48am. Reason: spelling

I'd love some novels - especially if they were written by Divia, Catslyn, or Eideann!!!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Time to revive this 10 year-old thread!

I was just wondering the other day why there have never been MOTU novels. A series of novels would GREATLY enrich the MOTU mythology. I'd definitely be interested in something like this if they were well-written books.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; May 13, 2015 at 11:57pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I'd love to read some awesome MOTU/POP novels!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Coming back to the brand as an adult, one of the first things I looked around for was some kind of MOTU novel. I was sure something would have been out there. Alas... no luck.
    Frankly, I'm surprised. What a rich world to play in this would be for the right author. A quality series would be a dream. Thanks for breathing life back into this thread, Ms. Dreadful (been hooked on Roast Gooble Dinner the last few months after discovering it, by the way -love listening!).
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Heroic Warrior
    I too am surprised that there have been no novels. Mattel is just passing up money.

I would love to read a novel based on the original mini-comics.

More than that, I'd like to see multiple authors given free reign with the material. Don't make them conform to a single continuity. Let them run wild with their own ideas, giving fans a choice of whose interpretation they want to follow. The most popular novel could possibly be adapted into a movie, meaning the fans could actually have some input as to what makes it to the screen.

Heroic Warrior
    If D&D can do it, if Pathfinder can do, if Warhammer 40k can do it, if Guild Wars can do, why can't MotU?

Because Mattel doesn't care, at least when MotU's involved. Not a prob with Barbie or Monster High, but then again, not surprising.

Maybe this time will be different.

YEAH right.

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    I'd love to read MOTU novels. Heck, I'd love to write one even...
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

MotU Novels?

Does anyone know if there have ever been any Masters of the Universe novels? I have looked, but have been unsuccessful so far.

I feel as though the MotU universe is so huge and the potential to create a novel series, either on a He-Man storyline or the backstories of side characters, would be great.

If not, does anyone know why this hasn't been done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None that I've heard of. Comics and storybooks are the only way to go.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen7 View Post
    Does anyone know if there have ever been any Masters of the Universe novels? I have looked, but have been unsuccessful so far.

I feel as though the MotU universe is so huge and the potential to create a novel series, either on a He-Man storyline or the backstories of side characters, would be great.

If not, does anyone know why this hasn't been done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Although no MOTU novels currently exist, I am 100% behind the idea. A Novel would be a great way to flesh out back stories in ways that comic books just can't. I am kind of amazed they never put any effort to publish a novel because the novel would be a great springboard to make the movie.

Part of the narrative feels like there should be a romance novel type story between He-Man and Teela. But that kind of thing never gets told in comic books. In the book this story would be fully fleshed out if there was a novel.

This has New York Times best seller written all over it.
    Last edited by InThe80s; April 26, 2016 at 09:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Although no MOTU novels currently exist, I am 100% behind the idea. A Novel would be a great way to flesh out back stories in ways that comic books just can't. I am kind of amazed they never put any effort to publish a novel because the novel would be a great springboard to make the movie.

Part of the narrative feels like there should be a romance novel type story between He-Man and Teela. But that kind of thing never gets told in comic books. In the book this story would be fully fleshed out if there was a novel.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...c0f061397e.jpg
    This has New York Times best seller written all over it.
    My point exactly. Comic books can't dive into the characters' backgrounds like novels can. Or, give a more detailed perspective to a character's thoughts. I can't believe over the years that not one single novel has been written. For a franchise to fully take off, there needs to be novels of some kind written to help expand the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen7 View Post
    My point exactly. Comic books can't dive into the characters' backgrounds like novels can. Or, give a more detailed perspective to a character's thoughts. I can't believe over the years that not one single novel has been written. For a franchise to fully take off, there needs to be novels of some kind written to help expand the universe.
    I agree with you. What is really astonishing to me is why Mattel has not picked this low hanging fruit. It is a lot easier to write and publish a novel then it is to make comic books. A novel has a high rate of return for small investment of resources. A series of novels is a must have part of any major franchise because books lend credibility and seriousness to the subject matter. It is time to stop looking at MOTU as just toys and comic books or we will never get anywhere. It is time for MOTU to get serious about its' long term viability.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Its an interesting topic, one that has been on the minds of fans for over 10 years now.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!