Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTU novels?

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    I would read MOTU novels... even if they were their own canon.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

I think if MotU did something along the lines of a book like Star Wars: Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, but with individual backstories on the Masters, that be fantastic. And a novel series outlining the main story. It'd be a great way to transition into a possible movie because you can flesh out ideas and see what readers like and don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bibliophile so I'd be on board with a MOTU/POP series. If written well, it'd be a fun way to delve into the universe again. And it would give a chance to grant focus to other characters like Man-At-Arms or Glimmer. And if they shifted perspective around, we'd get a chance to get into the characters' minds, see how they think and reason.

And there's no reason such a series has to be for grown ups only. Plenty of franchises do/did very well catering to both adults and young readers.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

What a great thread! It's nice to know I'm not the only one wondering why there haven't been any novels.

I think there is a very decent chance of tie-in novels once the movie finally gets off the ground. They will be establishing a whole new continuity, and that's perfect for a series of books for more mature readers.

Now, if only there was some way to get in on the ground floor and volunteer to write one...

A friend directed me to this old thread.

Well, these aren't official, but they are some MOTU novels that I wrote and people seem to like them.

And they're free

www.MOTUBT.weebly.com
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

MOTU: The Bloodline Trilogy

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Thanks for the link to the download site!

It really broke my heart when I saw that 45% of fans outright voted "NO" to new MOTU novels.

Even though I feared the result would be something like that, I was still kind of surprised that almost half of fans aren't interested in MOTU novels. That just seems outrageous to me.

I can only imagine what a resounding "99% YES vote" might have yielded. We were fantasizing about trying to get luminaries like Larry DiTillio onboard for a very theoretical official adventure series that could really dive deep into the lore and mythos. *Sigh.* What might have been, alas!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 2, 2018 at 03:54pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    I want a novel or comic that completes the Filmation She-Ra story and has her final battle with Hordak and the freeing of Etheria.

Having the novels as part of a toy poll is probably not going to get one the best results. I didn't realize there was a poll about it and would have voted yes. Also, a question of if you want a MOTU novel written by Larry DiTillio would probably get a better response than a more general question.

Quote Originally Posted by KeldorTheCursed View Post

Well, these aren't official, but they are some MOTU novels that I wrote and people seem to like them.

And they're free

www.MOTUBT.weebly.com
    Thanks! I can’t wait to get started on these!

Cover art is gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

It really broke my heart when I saw that 45% of fans outright voted "NO" to new MOTU novels.

Even though I feared the result would be something like that, I was still kind of surprised that almost half of fans aren't interested in MOTU novels. That just seems outrageous to me.

I can only imagine what a resounding "99% YES vote" might have yielded. We were fantasizing about trying to get luminaries like Larry DiTillio onboard for a very theoretical official adventure series that could really dive deep into the lore and mythos. *Sigh.* What might have been, alas!
    I mean... the sad fact is that lots of people don't really read books anymore.

Even my stories are a hard sell at times, and they're free All they cost is your time.

Phone apps and games are great for people that like them, and I'm glad to see MOTU getting stuff like that, just because it's new stuff, but there's nothing like having a book in your hands, IMO. I wish more people felt the same way.

Oh, and I voted "YES" of course

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Thanks! I can’t wait to get started on these!

Cover art is gorgeous
    Thank you and I agree, Mattias did a great job! I hope you like the stories as much as the art

Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    I want a novel or comic that completes the Filmation She-Ra story and has her final battle with Hordak and the freeing of Etheria.
    Well, it's my own version (so not strictly Filmation), but the trilogy does include She-Ra's origin and eventual final battle with Hordak (again, my version).

It's not Filmation, but it's something...
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; September 3, 2018 at 05:55am.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Heroic Warrior

I'm not surprised given sales numbers for the He-Man comics (2012-present). If the comic isn't going gangbusters, no way a novel is going to do well. I only could see it happening if a successful cartoon and/or movie reinvigorates things. Otherwise we'll always have fan-fiction. Personally I would've been interested in novels expanding on the lore of the 2002 Cartoon and Eternity War comics storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by ickzer1 View Post
    Fantasy novels do well enough. Why not tell the story of MOTU through novels. Its obvious adults are the main fans and novel are a great way to tell the story.
    It would really help MOTU continue as property and allow the stories to be told. We know there is so much that could be told. Lets have it.
    I would love this - but the novels would have to take a more serious approach, that would be different than the cartoons many remember/know - because I don't think writing Beast Man or Mer-man as bumbling fools would work well in novel form.

If I understood correctly, Mark and Rebecca Taylor said they were working on a novel based on his original storyline for He-Man. You have to remember that the He-Man we have today is a derivation of what Mark originally had in his head (which did not include channel strength through the Power Sword, I believe.) It would be the story that is in his head, including He-Man and Skeletor's backstory. Rebecca said the Filmation He-Man was for your 4yo self, and the novel is for your 40yo self. He was trying to get it done for Power-Con, but was too exhausting and had him hold off. So, we'll see if we get it by the end of the year or early next.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I'm totally down for MOTU novels.

Why not have both kid-friendly ones with numerous illustrations, and more mature ones for adults?
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; September 7, 2018 at 10:54pm.
    Odd Man Out

Just wanted to let you know that I've read through your first two MOTU novels and am currently about midway through book three. I have absolutely LOVED them! Without spoiling the ending of the third book, is there any chance you'll continue with your MOTU novels? Not necessarily this storyline as I get it's a trilogy, but I really enjoyed your work and love your take on the universe. Would love to see more!

And they're free

www.MOTUBT.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joebot View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that I've read through your first two MOTU novels and am currently about midway through book three. I have absolutely LOVED them! Without spoiling the ending of the third book, is there any chance you'll continue with your MOTU novels? Not necessarily this storyline as I get it's a trilogy, but I really enjoyed your work and love your take on the universe. Would love to see more!
    First of all, THANK YOU It's always good to hear when someone is enjoying my work!

Second, I'd love to see more, too! There are definitely more MOTU stories that I could tell, especially more "traditional" He-Man vs. Skeletor ones (since my stories take place later, when their war is largely over). That being said, after five years of hard work to complete "The Bloodline Trilogy" (three of which just to complete the third book), I don't see myself doing anymore as free ebooks. I'd only write more if Mattel (or someone affiliated) approached me in an official capacity and asked me to do so, which is honestly a long-shot.

Writing is something I want to do for a living, but in order to achieve that, I need to write stories that I can sell. It's just a sad truth. I have other projects that I'm working on at the moment with that goal in mind. However, MOTU remains a dream project and all I can really ask is that people who enjoy my MOTU stuff let other people know about it. These stories thrive on word-of-mouth, especially since there is zero advertising for them, aside from me mentioning them occasionally to people. If enough fans learn of them and enjoy them, it increases the chances of someone important taking notice. You never know, I guess.

That being said, there IS some stuff that I'm doing to "polish up" my existing trilogy (especially the first one, which I think needs work, in retrospect), but I'm not quite ready to announce that yet. I'm still just working on it as a side project, but I guess that's something

Sorry if that's a bummer answer
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

It's a bummer that so many did vote no... For me, I always go under the idea - that someone(s) out there is going to enjoy it - so I always vote yes!

Even if someone said, "Would you want another Twilight trilogy?" (and this is not to knock anyone who enjoyed those books, they're not my cup of tea - BUT)... my wife enjoyed the books, so I would vote yes, just for her.

Not a bummer at all. I get it. I appreciate your work, I'll look forward to whatever you choose to write next. As someone who's polishing up his 4th draft for an all-ages graphic novel, I know how much work is put into writing something like this. So congrats on seeing it through, it's no easy task!

First of all, THANK YOU It's always good to hear when someone is enjoying my work!

Second, I'd love to see more, too! There are definitely more MOTU stories that I could tell, especially more "traditional" He-Man vs. Skeletor ones (since my stories take place later, when their war is largely over). That being said, after five years of hard work to complete "The Bloodline Trilogy" (three of which just to complete the third book), I don't see myself doing anymore as free ebooks. I'd only write more if Mattel (or someone affiliated) approached me in an official capacity and asked me to do so, which is honestly a long-shot.

Writing is something I want to do for a living, but in order to achieve that, I need to write stories that I can sell. It's just a sad truth. I have other projects that I'm working on at the moment with that goal in mind. However, MOTU remains a dream project and all I can really ask is that people who enjoy my MOTU stuff let other people know about it. These stories thrive on word-of-mouth, especially since there is zero advertising for them, aside from me mentioning them occasionally to people. If enough fans learn of them and enjoy them, it increases the chances of someone important taking notice. You never know, I guess.

That being said, there IS some stuff that I'm doing to "polish up" my existing trilogy (especially the first one, which I think needs work, in retrospect), but I'm not quite ready to announce that yet. I'm still just working on it as a side project, but I guess that's something

Sorry if that's a bummer answer

Quote Originally Posted by Joebot View Post
    Not a bummer at all. I get it. I appreciate your work, I'll look forward to whatever you choose to write next. As someone who's polishing up his 4th draft for an all-ages graphic novel, I know how much work is put into writing something like this. So congrats on seeing it through, it's no easy task!
    Thank you. It was indeed a lot of work, but it was all done out of love for the property, so it's all good
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar

I think the concept could have looked more attractive to more fans if it had been presented as "illustrated novels" rather than just plain "novels". The MotU franchise is primarily based on visuals, so I don't find it surprising that a sizeable part of its fanbase doesn't seem much interested in plain text reading, as much as I would love the MotUverse and its concepts explored and expanded beyond the visuals. OTOH, now that you mention that poll, I'm quute surprised that, among the many other merchandise items offered for voting, there doesn't appear to have been any option or mention of games (both videogames and/or board/card games). Games could be an avenue to tell stories using a more visual approach that might be more appealing to a larger part of the fanbase.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

I think numerous spot illustrations in MOTU novels would be great! Especially if they looked like Frazetta paintings.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you. It was indeed a lot of work, but it was all done out of love for the property, so it's all good
    can you make a chronological timeline of your canon?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    can you make a chronological timeline of your canon?
    Do you mean of the entire canon, or where the books themselves would take place on one?

One would be much easier to do than the other, LOL

The stories themselves have flashbacks and the third book involves time travel, so laying out the entire thing would almost be like a new project to take on

"The Keldor Chronicles" (the first book) takes place about ten years into the war between He-Man and Skeletor, with the other two books following, if that's any help. There is of course a lot of fleshing out what happened in the past, however. That's essentially the entire point of that first story: filling in the gaps of the past.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Heroic Warrior
    Do you mean of the entire canon, or where the books themselves would take place on one?

One would be much easier to do than the other, LOL

The stories themselves have flashbacks and the third book involves time travel, so laying out the entire thing would almost be like a new project to take on

"The Keldor Chronicles" (the first book) takes place about ten years into the war between He-Man and Skeletor, with the other two books following, if that's any help. There is of course a lot of fleshing out what happened in the past, however. That's essentially the entire point of that first story: filling in the gaps of the past.
    i meant the entire canon. i find the Tellus canon interesting. also is the oracle in THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL Orko or another Trollan?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    i meant the entire canon. i find the Tellus canon interesting. also is the oracle in THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL Orko or another Trollan?
    I wish I had the time, LOL. Maybe I could do a timeline someday. Also, thanks. I'm glad you find it interesting. I certainly tried to make it interesting.

As far as The Oracle: no, he's not a Trollan. Who he is becomes pretty apparent upon a second read of POG. There's lots of clues laid throughout POG for both his identity (and other stuff) with the intention being that a new layer of truth would peel back upon each read. I'm actually surprised that more people haven't figured out his identity as I thought I'd made it a little TOO obvious, but I kind of like that it's mysterious to people. (Or if you just want me to spoil it, you can PM me )
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories: