87 32.58%
  • She-Ra

27 10.11%
  • NA He-Man

7 2.62%
  • MYP MOTU

146 54.68%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cartoon in the MOTU Universe?

1) Filmation He-Man. (without any doubt! )
    2) She-Ra.
    3) MYP
    4) New Adventures.
    Martín

Filmation, She-Ra, new adventures, not seen much of the 2002 show so cant say nothing bout that
    Tell me about the loneliness of Good, He-Man... Is it equal to the loneliness of Evil? Skeletor (Live Action Movie)

Filmation's MOTU would be my favorite out of the four, followed by She-Ra, NA and MYP.

Filmation's MOTU tops my list because of the following reasons. It has a greater sense of fantasy, the voice acting of the core group of characters is fantastic, there's actually humour in the series, some of the music is emotional, none of the characters are soulless jerks.

She-Ra is second because it's an extension of the Filmation MOTU. Plus the crossover episodes are always very fun!

I rank NA third because it's not really that bad of a series when viewing it again years later. Seeing Skeletor actually conquer something for more than a third of an episode is pretty great.

Despite greater production values, MYP ranks last because it tries too hard to be serious, there's a lack of fantasy, plenty of characters are jerks, the music is without emotion, some of the villains are dumber than their Filmation counterparts and sound like they should be going to battle in a short bus.

The parts that I do like about the MYP show are that it brought He-Man back into the public eye if only for a few years, it had an on-going story, it had origins for some lesser used characters, Stinkor and the rest of the Snake Men finally showed up in cartoon form!

MYP version has better characterizations, better dialogue, and less stupidity compared to the Filmation one. Not to mention better animation and story.

Oh, and the MYP version had far less cheese than Filmation. It still has a little cheese, but not near the amount of the 80s one.
    Last edited by VZX; August 25, 2007 at 03:54pm.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    MYP version has better characterizations, better dialogue, and less stupidity compared to the Filmation one. Not to mention better animation and story.

Oh, and the MYP version had far less cheese than Filmation. It still has a little cheese, but near the amount of the 80s one.
    Exactly what I think.
    I've just watched some early episodes yesterday and I think all of them are really amazing. I could watch them dozens of times without getting bored. Much cooler, funnier, stylisher and cleverer than the Filmations cartoon.

gotta say, as much as i love the filmation series (it will always hold a fondness) the MYP series was much more cohesive with plot and darker in general. much better dialog and action.
    I love them both for different reasons, but MYP wins "favorite" b/c of the new edge and dimensions they brought to the chaRACHTERS.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    1. MYP MOTU
    MYP was easily the best MOTU cartoon. The writing was superb, the animation was decent, and the voice acting was leaps and bounds above the Filmation show. Unfortunately this series had it's flaws too. It dropped the dark, mystical feel the old toon had (especially in regard to Grayskull) and Cam Clark's He-Man voice was pretty cheesy. Lastly, the animation was the victim of too much anime influence, sacrificing strong understructure and fluidity in favor of detail, speedlines, and Johnny Bravo evoking battle posing.

2. She-Ra
    When Filmation developed She-Ra they improved on nearly all the aspects of their He-Man cartoon. The writing was better, the voices were more realistic, animation was more fluid, and there was less reliance on stock animation. The thing I really love about She-Ra though, is that the villains feel like a real threat. While Skeletor was always a joke, the Horde came rolling in with war machines and laser cannons. Hordak was a little goofier than I'd liked, but compared to Skeletor he seemed like the ultimate evil. In retrospect She-Ra feels like a much more mature and well thought out show than He-Man.

3. Filmation He-Man
    The original He-Man cartoon will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the original, and it obviously induces feelings of nostalgia. The writing was good for a cartoon of the time, and introduced us to great writers like Larry DiTillio, Paul Dini, and Joe Straczynski. The animation, which employed rock solid understructure and utilized rotoscoping for various shots, was excellent. He-man also featured real morals for children to learn, and unlike G.I.Joe they were expressed enough in the show that the moral clip at the end was largely unnecessary. The show had some major flaws though. It was super cheesy, the voice acting was terrible, and was severely limited by the need to recycle animation. While there were a handful of excellent episodes, about 70% of the shows are nearly unwatchable today.

I can't really judge NA since I only saw one episode back when it first aired. I hated that so much I never watched it again. As an adult I've gained a lot of respect for the property, but I need to watch it again to make a fair assessment.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; August 22, 2007 at 02:38pm.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by typeon View Post
    I was just taking a guess that other people's kids were the same as mine. My daughter, my brothers daughter and son, and my nephew all prefer the old filmation cartoons to the new MYP versions.
    I guess my kids are the exception, then. Both my son and daughter prefer the MYP version over the filmation one.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Co-Creator of the NV
    MYP all the way.

Best artwork, best characterization, most depth, best story and continuity... The rest can't even compete.

I voted for Filmation's He-Man, but She-Ra and MYP are almost at the same level of how much I like them.
    My website (currently under construction)

I will always love the Filmation cartoon, it is wgat I grew up on, but the MYP was so amazing in terms of story, character development, and backstory that it has to be hands down my favorite. I mean just look at how the series started, it was truly amazing. I will admit I HATED the NA series when I first started watching it, but as I kept watching the episodes, it started to grow on me, and I was able to appreciate a different side to He-man. Even though the voice of Skeletor in NA really bothers me to this day.

I forgot to mention She-Ra. She-Ra was a great cartoon in the fact that I thought it was much darker then the original He-Man, The Horde was such an evil force, that you learned that sometimes the good guys may not always come out on top.
    Last edited by DJ Skeletor; November 6, 2007 at 03:21pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Widget
    I love my memories of the Filmation series more than the series itself. (Though I'm a little too young to have lived through real MotU Golden Age, I caught enough repeats to fall in love with it... and I had Secret of the Sword on video)

MYP however... well, I was gutted when it was cancelled. It was a thing of beauty. Not perfect... but beautiful nonetheless.

I pretty much like them all the same but if I had to pick one it would be Classic Filmation.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I've never seen any newer versions, but voted for She-Ra. I enjoy classic He-Man quite a bit, but I find She-Ra the better series overall.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    This is like: Who do you love more, mom or dad??

myp all the way!!!!!!!!!!!
    but they are followed by classic he-man and she-ra

NA was just a waste of money for me..........never liked (but I collected all dvds to complete my spinal art )
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

MYP has come the closest to being the definitive MOTU, but there are some things I prefer about the Filmation show. Battle Cat and other Eternian animals talking for instance. I voted for the 200x series.

Without any doubt MYP MOTU Cartoon!

Really great, I would love to see many more seasons ... -_-

As much as I love the Filmation series, I had to go with MYP. It just seems more mature. I sure ain't saying everything that was done in the MYP show was gold, but I like the characters better. It a lot more savage.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnSmooth View Post
    The only reason that I voted for the MYP serries is because they used alot more of the Masters roster. Each episode had more than He-man, Man-at-Arms, Teela and Orko. The only thing I wish we had done more backstores on the charactors.
    And the epic battles! Council of Evil, The Last Stand, Rise of the Snake Men! In MYP, we saw major BATTLES!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    there was some good writing, and deep plots in the Filmation series, but there was also a lot of schlock.

the MYP series is mostly good writing and deep plots.

that's not to say it's free from bad plot, that whole "Samurai Stilt Armor" episode was painful to watch, and served only to hock a toy, but then on the other side of the coin, you have the episode featuring the Ice Armor, which actually plotted well, and the outfit made sense and served a purpose.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    The MYP Series was superioor in almost everyway. Much of this, certainly, has to do with it being created almost 20 years later but still, it is a superior program. More in depth story telling, a desire to enhance the mythos, a solid idea for tying it all together.

The Best MYP Episodes are the best MOTU stories created; The Power Of Grayskull, The Price Of Deceit, History....

That said, I love the Filmation stuff. For me it's hard to seperate MOTU/POP as they all ran together at the time.

I look at it like this: Without Flimation we'd have never gotten the MYP stuff.

She-Ra

NOTHING beats the music on that show... and the voice-over acting of Melendy Britt (Adora/She-Ra, etc.)

of course I love Filmation MOTU too - but one percent less... but that is so hard to distinguish.

I loved the MYP show too, and I might have chosen it had it run much longer... though, bearing in mind the changes they were going to make to the canon, I am glad the show ended when it did.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    Imagine if MYP had done 130 episodes, that would have been awesome!
    I would've loved to see the return of Hordak in that series...i wanted to see how he would escape from despondos and how Skeletor was going to help defeat him

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    And the epic battles! Council of Evil, The Last Stand, Rise of the Snake Men! In MYP, we saw major BATTLES!
    That's something else i liked about the MYP series...the battles were AWSOME!
    Last edited by Horde08; July 10, 2009 at 09:45am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

What pains me the most about the MYP toon is that when it got canned it was really starting to get great.
    It was always good but it was on it's way to be one of the truly great animated series.