Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: That SUPER STICKY vintage residue--how to make it go away?

Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Here's a question: Is breaking down plastic toxic? Should toddlers be walking around with sticky Buzz-Offs in their mouths?
    Yes, I always caution people NOT to allow children to play with vintage toys, especially ones that have started to break down. The plasticizers contain lead and other toxins that are harmful to children. You really should take precautions too and wear gloves when cleaning them and wash your hands thoroughly afterward.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure about He-Man figures, but I have used Remove-Zit on vintage SSC dolls and other things. http://www.twinpines.com/remove-zit
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Yes, I always caution people NOT to allow children to play with vintage toys, especially ones that have started to break down. The plasticizers contain lead and other toxins that are harmful to children. You really should take precautions too and wear gloves when cleaning them and wash your hands thoroughly afterward.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure about He-Man figures, but I have used Remove-Zit on vintage SSC dolls and other things. http://www.twinpines.com/remove-zit
    Did you use it on painted figures ? I read the description and they say it remove the paint ...

"Some vinyl and other plastic dolls and action figures were air brushed (painted) during manufacture to apply cosmetic features. Remove-Zit will remove paint."

Never had a problem with my vintage MOTU but almost all of my vintage Thundercats and Real Ghostbusters had the plastic start to break down and go really sticky.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    I just recently took my commemorative reissues out of storage and was very surprised to find this problem developing with a few of them. So far, the issue is manifesting as the usual sticky/oily residue, and seems to be isolated to Buzz Off's wings and Clawfull's limbs.

The figures were individually stored in zip lock bags, in a climate controlled environment out of direct light. The bags were partially opened to allow outgassing. Considering these toys were only made in 00/01, and a sizable portion of my vintage collection (so far) has not developed this type of breakdown, I'm not sure what to think.

As of now the figures are on display and seem alright otherwise.

Has anyone else experienced this with the reissues?

Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Did you use it on painted figures ? I read the description and they say it remove the paint ...

"Some vinyl and other plastic dolls and action figures were air brushed (painted) during manufacture to apply cosmetic features. Remove-Zit will remove paint."
    I have used it on pin dot mold on SSC and MLP. I know it can cause the dis-colorization of the plastic ponies. If it says not to use it I would trust them then. They are a pretty good company. I typically take a tooth pick and put some on the end and apply it to the mold spots very sparingly. I have also used it to clean the stickiness off of boxed SSC dolls faces and arms. It did not effect their face paint, but I was VERY careful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    I just recently took my commemorative reissues out of storage and was very surprised to find this problem developing with a few of them. So far, the issue is manifesting as the usual sticky/oily residue, and seems to be isolated to Buzz Off's wings and Clawfull's limbs.

The figures were individually stored in zip lock bags, in a climate controlled environment out of direct light. The bags were partially opened to allow outgassing. Considering these toys were only made in 00/01, and a sizable portion of my vintage collection (so far) has not developed this type of breakdown, I'm not sure what to think.

As of now the figures are on display and seem alright otherwise.

Has anyone else experienced this with the reissues?
    The problem is your storage method (maybe). Plastic bags and totes and things off gas chemicals which can break down the toys they are holding. What I do is buy acid free tissue paper and wrap all of my toys in that (it is brown) with silica packets. If I have to keep them in totes I make sure to periodically take the lids off and let them breathe.
    In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You laugh at me because I question everything. I laugh at you because you question nothing.