Page 388 of 388 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388
Results 9,676 to 9,691 of 9691

Thread: The Official "Console War" and Video Game Thread

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack with pricing video:

Uhhh, $49.99 for 12 months?!? No thank you.

Nintendo, some of these games are 30+ years old... the N64 debuted in 1996. Asking $50 per year, on top of the $20 online fee, is asinine.

This is one of those times when my Nintendo fan-boyism has to draw a line. And, I hope many more do as well...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Too much monetary ambitions in Nintendo's mindset. I'm sure they will listens to the consumers.... for once.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I thought I'd post a short list of frightfully good games to play around the Halloween spooky season!

- Castlevania series (classic monster mashing fun, originally based on the Universal silver screen baddies!)
    - Luigi's Mansion series (Spooky fun for the whole family!)
    - Resident Evil series (The reMakes are incredible, but you can't go wrong with the classics either!)
    - Friday the 13th (This asymmetric survival game from Illfonic is the closest thing to actually being at Camp Crystal Lake...)
    - Bloodborne (For those looking for the perfect combination of gothic horror, Lovecraftian atmosphere and white-knuckle challenge!)
    - Amnesia series (One of the most frightening gaming experiences I've ever had... wear headphones.)
    - Nightmare in the Dark (Classic arcade style screen-clearer with amazing animation and addicting gameplay!)
    - Silent Hill series (Intense psychological horror with nightmarish enemies and methodologically paced gameplay...)

So, what are some of your favorite spooky games to play around this time of year?

I actually generally don't. My backlog is so jammed I don't especially make it a point to play certain games at certain times of year. Point of fact, right now I'm spending all my gaming time on WWE 2K18. That's how far behind on stuff I am.

I do have some general comments about some of those series, though.

- Super Castlevania IV was always one of my favorite games. I liked the original Castlevania in theory, when I was a kid, but I sucked at it, so I didn't play it much at all. Last year I made it a point to finally finish it, and had a blast with it. Although I still prefer IV. I also thought the N64 game was fine, although I know that's a minority opinion. At least these days. It got rave reviews when it came out but apparently a lot of people changed their minds since then. I'unno, I liked it.

I haven't played most of the games in the series, but I own almost all of them. Like I said... HUGE backlog. Literally hundreds of games. I am not good at time management. But I made it a point to collect them all with full intention of playing them "One Day".

- Luigi's Mansion is actually one I've had a bit of an itch to play again lately. It gets hit on for being short and easy, but that's actually one of the things I like about it, it doesn't wear out its welcome and you can pretty much just throw it in for a weekend and then move on with your life. I always liked that one a lot.

- Resident Evil is another series I've had to enjoy more "in theory" than in practice. Again, I own most of them in some form - I have the Gamecube ones except for the ridiculously-priced Code Veronica X, and I have some of the Xbox One versions - but I never played the PS originals. And frankly, I'm simply not good at the games, for whatever reason. I'm one of those idiots who insists on playing the series in storyline order, so I always start with RE0, and I always get stuck partway through when I run out of ammo at a critical point or whatever, and Saved in a bad spot, and thus can't finish the game. People always tell me that RE0 is rather complicated compared to the rest and to just start with RE1 instead, OR to just skip right to RE4 since "that's where the gameplay got good anyway". But I'm adamant about going in story order, even if that's to my own detriment.

So, I don't know... again, buying them with intention to play them One Day. Seems like a cool series, wish I was any good at them.

- Silent Hill II was a life-changing experience and one of my sentimental favorite games, even though it's been a long time since I played it, over ten years in fact. My PS2 broke ages ago, and I haven't played it since - and therefore never got to play III, IV, or Origins, either. And I missed the first game on PS1 entirely, and now that it too is insanely priced I still haven't played that one.

So really, I've only played SHII, Shattered Memories on Wii, and Homecoming on Xbox 360, and had a lot of fun with all of them. I completely understand why people may not like Shattered Memories and Homecoming, since they really go against the whole formula pretty hard, but I like them for what they do and not what they don't. I really, really like the whole "psychological profile" aspect of SM, and I liked how fluid the controls and such were in Homecoming compared to the earlier games. I know everyone craps on Homecoming for being more of an action game, and the player becoming so overpowered by the end of it that the monsters pose no challenge and therefore there's no suspense or "horror" left to it. And that's fair. I just think it's a fun video game and I'm less hung up on the other stuff. I keep forgetting to play Downpour.

Side note: I also really like the first Silent Hill movie. And I really don't like the second one.
    ----------------

Never played any of the other series you mentioned. I meant to jump on that Friday the 13th game but I waited too long and then all that lawsuit stuff happened and now I figure that ship has sailed. Looked pretty neat, though. Although I don't do multiplayer stuff. So maybe it wouldn't have really been my cup of tea anyways.

I started Dead Rising once, but I got a little bit confused and then something else caught my eye. I really wanna go back to that one, though, those games look fun.

I also own the Dead Space games but never played them.

One that's not specifically "horror" because it's more funny than scary, but still technically "horror" because it deals with a zombie outbreak, is Lollipop Chainsaw. I'unno man, people crap on that one a lot but I had a BLAST with that one. Really fun, really funny. I try to work "Don't be racist against COWS, Nick!" into casual conversation whenever I can. Tara Strong is just the best in everything.

And yes, I got the upskirt Achievement. Don't @ me, I'm only a man dammit.

Y'know a series I never played, but always wanted to, was Splatterhouse. I got the remake, but again... Backlog.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I actually generally don't. My backlog is so jammed I don't especially make it a point to play certain games at certain times of year. Point of fact, right now I'm spending all my gaming time on WWE 2K18. That's how far behind on stuff I am.

I do have some general comments about some of those series, though.

- Super Castlevania IV was always one of my favorite games. I liked the original Castlevania in theory, when I was a kid, but I sucked at it, so I didn't play it much at all. Last year I made it a point to finally finish it, and had a blast with it. Although I still prefer IV. I also thought the N64 game was fine, although I know that's a minority opinion. At least these days. It got rave reviews when it came out but apparently a lot of people changed their minds since then. I'unno, I liked it.

I haven't played most of the games in the series, but I own almost all of them. Like I said... HUGE backlog. Literally hundreds of games. I am not good at time management. But I made it a point to collect them all with full intention of playing them "One Day".

- Luigi's Mansion is actually one I've had a bit of an itch to play again lately. It gets hit on for being short and easy, but that's actually one of the things I like about it, it doesn't wear out its welcome and you can pretty much just throw it in for a weekend and then move on with your life. I always liked that one a lot.

- Resident Evil is another series I've had to enjoy more "in theory" than in practice. Again, I own most of them in some form - I have the Gamecube ones except for the ridiculously-priced Code Veronica X, and I have some of the Xbox One versions - but I never played the PS originals. And frankly, I'm simply not good at the games, for whatever reason. I'm one of those idiots who insists on playing the series in storyline order, so I always start with RE0, and I always get stuck partway through when I run out of ammo at a critical point or whatever, and Saved in a bad spot, and thus can't finish the game. People always tell me that RE0 is rather complicated compared to the rest and to just start with RE1 instead, OR to just skip right to RE4 since "that's where the gameplay got good anyway". But I'm adamant about going in story order, even if that's to my own detriment.

So, I don't know... again, buying them with intention to play them One Day. Seems like a cool series, wish I was any good at them.

- Silent Hill II was a life-changing experience and one of my sentimental favorite games, even though it's been a long time since I played it, over ten years in fact. My PS2 broke ages ago, and I haven't played it since - and therefore never got to play III, IV, or Origins, either. And I missed the first game on PS1 entirely, and now that it too is insanely priced I still haven't played that one.

So really, I've only played SHII, Shattered Memories on Wii, and Homecoming on Xbox 360, and had a lot of fun with all of them. I completely understand why people may not like Shattered Memories and Homecoming, since they really go against the whole formula pretty hard, but I like them for what they do and not what they don't. I really, really like the whole "psychological profile" aspect of SM, and I liked how fluid the controls and such were in Homecoming compared to the earlier games. I know everyone craps on Homecoming for being more of an action game, and the player becoming so overpowered by the end of it that the monsters pose no challenge and therefore there's no suspense or "horror" left to it. And that's fair. I just think it's a fun video game and I'm less hung up on the other stuff. I keep forgetting to play Downpour.

Side note: I also really like the first Silent Hill movie. And I really don't like the second one.
    ----------------

Never played any of the other series you mentioned. I meant to jump on that Friday the 13th game but I waited too long and then all that lawsuit stuff happened and now I figure that ship has sailed. Looked pretty neat, though. Although I don't do multiplayer stuff. So maybe it wouldn't have really been my cup of tea anyways.

I started Dead Rising once, but I got a little bit confused and then something else caught my eye. I really wanna go back to that one, though, those games look fun.

I also own the Dead Space games but never played them.

One that's not specifically "horror" because it's more funny than scary, but still technically "horror" because it deals with a zombie outbreak, is Lollipop Chainsaw. I'unno man, people crap on that one a lot but I had a BLAST with that one. Really fun, really funny. I try to work "Don't be racist against COWS, Nick!" into casual conversation whenever I can. Tara Strong is just the best in everything.

Y'know a series I never played, but always wanted to, was Splatterhouse. I got the remake, but again... Backlog.
    I'll go with Back 4 Blood for Halloween this year, or Destiny 2.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I was going to get Back 4 Blood, but I have seen so many awful reviews about it.

Super Castlevania IV is the most-loved of the traditional CV titles (though, some might argue that the title belongs to Rondo of Blood on the PCEngine...) I absolutely love CV4 and can play through the entire game without losing a life... heck, I could probably play it blindfolded, lol. That said, my personal favorite of the 16-Bit era CV games is Bloodlines/Vampire Killer on the Genesis/Mega Drive. I cannot tell you how much I adore everything about this game. From the level design, to the characters, to the music and boss fights - it is a game that I play more often than any other CV game (probably more than any other VIDEO game, lol).

You mentioned the original Castlevania game... unequivocally this is my favorite NES game of all time (right next to CV III and SMB2). When the Arcade Archives version hit the Switch eShop, I was ranked in the top 10 worldwide speedrunners for total points earned! I could go into an entire thesis about how much this game changed my life and the gaming industry, but I'll spare you the melodrama and just say that Castlevania / Akumajou Dracula is a masterpiece of game design.

I couldn't agree more.

The original Luigi's Mansion hits the sweet-spot between thrilling gameplay and playtime. For a launch title, it is extremely underrated, although it has gained a lot of traction since 2001. If you have not had the pleasure, I HIGHLY recommend playing the 3DS port... it is an incredible experience that makes the game feel completely fresh, adds some quality of life updates, and some extra goodies!

On that same note, another 3DS masterpiece is Luigi's Mansion 2 / Dark Moon. To this day, I am simply amazed at how polished and fun this game is. If you could only have two games to play on your 3DS, one of them better be Luigi's Mansion 2! I still have my fingers crossed for a Switch port...

Ahhh, Resident Evil... one of the few games I would actually ditch school to go home and play! At the time of its release, no other game was like RE. It single-handedly created a new genre and became a mega-blockbuster almost overnight... and mostly through word of mouth. I love the ReMake on GC (minus some silly changes) and the more recent RE2Make and RE3Make. I agree with you on RE0, that one is always a bit of a slog to get through... but, if you insist on playing in chronological order, the good news is that you have a LOT of goodness to look forward to (I'm lookin' at you RE4!!!)

Definitely worth your time... once you hit retirement.

This is actually an incredibly fun game to play... and it still has a decently strong online community. You don't really have to worry too much about online interactions, but it does get really fun when you're part of a competent team of Camp Counselors that all survive the experience! Totally worth the current price tag - and, after a couple of online rounds, you might get hooked!

Holy smokes!! I can't believe I forgot Dead Rising!

The game where you essentially play through George Romero's classic zombie flick!

I would recommend the original DR (my personal favorite) and DR: Off the Record... after these, the developers caved to pressure from fans who complained about the difficulty of having a time-limit, and the gameplay suffered in the subsequent sequels because of it...

D'oh! I freakin' love Lollipop Chainsaw!!

Of all his games, I think this is Suda 51's best. The game can become a bit repetitive, but once you're fully upgraded and get used to the combo system, it is an absolute blast to play!

And, yes, I too have the achievement (on PS3 AND XB360, lol)

[Fun Fact: I own the 1/8 Juliet Starling figure and the 1/6 VTS Juliet Starling figure...]

Man! Another classic series!!!

Splatterhouse is one of the greatest arcade platformers ever conceived! Super controversial at the time, I remember seeing this game at the arcade in a local mall back in the day and being dumbfounded! I had never seen anything like it before.

When the game hit the TG-16, my brother and I were addicted to it!

The remake is a severely underrated game that gets crapped on... a lot. But, once you get into the game, it is one of the best times you'll ever have ripping, tearing, and disemboweling hideous creatures and demons...

(Plus, you collect nude pics of your girlfriend, Jennifer, as you proceed through the game - D'oh!)

[Another fun fact: I repurposed a John Cena action figure into a custom Rick Taylor figure!]
    Last edited by Ornclown; October 22, 2021 at 08:40pm.

I'll have to make it a point to play some of the stuff I missed. I don't have a 3DS but those games you mentioned have been on the If/When list for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    D'oh! I freakin' love Lollipop Chainsaw!!

Of all his games, I think this is Suda 51's best. The game can become a bit repetitive, but once you're fully upgraded and get used to the combo system, it is an absolute blast to play!

And, yes, I too have the achievement (on PS3 AND XB360, lol)

[Fun Fact: I own the 1/8 Juliet Starling figure and the 1/6 VTS Juliet Starling figure...]
    You're like a kitten! A kitten that doesn't speak Japanese!

I missed those figures entirely. Looks like they're floating around the $700 mark now. Ouch. Jokes on me! Would'a gone great on the shelf next to my Vivid Girls Jenna Jameson action figure. Alas...
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    I was going to get Back 4 Blood, but I have seen so many awful reviews about it.
    If you're on PC and you want to try Back 4 Blood? Ignore steam on that one. just go for Xbox Game Pass on PC for instant access.

Rikki, have you tried Alien Isolation? Epic have been giving out free game for 2 times in past 2 years. You should grab it.
    Last edited by Fendi; October 23, 2021 at 04:23am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    If you're on PC and you want to try Back 4 Blood? Ignore steam on that one. just go for Xbox Game Pass on PC for instant access.

Rikki, have you tried Alien Isolation? Epic have been giving out free game for 2 times in past 2 years. You should grab it.
    It would be the PS5 version I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    It would be the PS5 version I would get.
    Oh Damn, According to the usual site I joined: Destructoid, they gave the game 8/10. I enjoyed it on my first 2 weeks. as usually, bad team is a bad team and a good team is a good team. so far YOU can get frustrated if you got the wrong choice of weapons. I suck at shotgun on Zombie game but I glad that he dropped his LMG for something else.

I thought I'd post a short list of frightfully good games to play around the Halloween spooky season!

- Castlevania series (classic monster mashing fun, originally based on the Universal silver screen baddies!)
    - Luigi's Mansion series (Spooky fun for the whole family!)
    - Resident Evil series (The reMakes are incredible, but you can't go wrong with the classics either!)
    - Friday the 13th (This asymmetric survival game from Illfonic is the closest thing to actually being at Camp Crystal Lake...)
    - Bloodborne (For those looking for the perfect combination of gothic horror, Lovecraftian atmosphere and white-knuckle challenge!)
    - Amnesia series (One of the most frightening gaming experiences I've ever had... wear headphones.)
    - Nightmare in the Dark (Classic arcade style screen-clearer with amazing animation and addicting gameplay!)
    - Silent Hill series (Intense psychological horror with nightmarish enemies and methodologically paced gameplay...)

So, what are some of your favorite spooky games to play around this time of year?
    I thought of another good Halloween game/series:

Darkstalkers, Nightwarriors, Vampire Savior

What do you get when you take the classic silver-screen Universal Monsters and mash them up with the polished Capcom fighting engine?

This!

What a fantastic series of games!

Still waiting on a sequel...

I thought of another good Halloween game/series:

Darkstalkers, Nightwarriors, Vampire Savior

What do you get when you take the classic silver-screen Universal Monsters and mash them up with the polished Capcom fighting engine?

This!

https://www.creativeuncut.com/galler.../ds-misc04.jpg

https://www.creativeuncut.com/galler.../ds-misc05.jpg

https://www.creativeuncut.com/galler.../ds-misc01.jpg

What a fantastic series of games!

Still waiting on a sequel...
    FPS Horror shooter is great too, I would recommend Metro series, Left 4 Dead series, Back 4 Blood series, World War Z, maybe that terrifying horror PS4 story adventure series????

I started playing Lollipop Chainsaw again last night, and man, I really regret taking such a long break from it. Haven't played it in a few years and there's still some Achievements and unlockables I never got. Last night I finally unlocked that seashell bikini, and this game suddenly got a lot more interesting.

Fun game, Tara Strong is just a gem. I'unno if the game would be AS good without her input but she really puts it way over the top.

I started playing Lollipop Chainsaw again last night, and man, I really regret taking such a long break from it. Haven't played it in a few years and there's still some Achievements and unlockables I never got. Last night I finally unlocked that seashell bikini, and this game suddenly got a lot more interesting.

Fun game, Tara Strong is just a gem. I'unno if the game would be AS good without her input but she really puts it way over the top.
    Here is an interesting bit of pop-culture geek news:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...suicide-squad/

Interesting.

I kinda think that cultural climate has a lot to do with that game not getting a sequel. People seem to be a lot less forgiving about "cheesecake" stuff nowadays. Some people get super mad about it; I remember even when the game came out there were a lot of complaints about "male gaze" stuff. Some people gave it bad scores predominantly based on that alone, and said stuff like "This game shouldn't exist" and whatnot. I'unno, I'd definitely be up for another one. I just don't see it getting made now, which is a shame.

I'm doing good with it but for the life of me, I can't seem to beat the Level 2 High Score. I looked it up and apparently that's the hardest High Score to get in the entire game since it's so hard to Sparkle Hunt. Someone suggested playing it on Medal Hunt since they give you a ton more medals, and I even beat the best time by almost two full minutes, but I fell short on the score. Got pretty close but couldn't quite nail it. I'unno, that one might be beyond my reach. Bummer.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to update this, but a few hours after I posted about it, I finally beat the Level 2 High Score. I got lucky with like, ONE extra Sparkle Hunt combo and that was enough to just barely put it over.

Apparently I played that game more in the past few days than I did the entirety of my first run with it. That's weird. I remember really liking it but my Save history shows that while I got most of the Achievements I honestly only played each level two or at most three times, back then. I must've had a bad week at work or something or just otherwise been really busy, I'unno. At least I've gotten to spend more time on it lately.

So now it's the Achievement where you have to beat the gondola game without shooting that I know I'll never get. I know it's all in the timing of the pattern of the falling objects but I'm too "twitchy" to make it through without shooting the stuff.