Thread: Count Marzo/Filmation

Heroic Warrior

Count Marzo/Filmation

Quick question: did Count Marzo exist in the filmation universe, or is he solely a product of MYP's imagination?

Cheers!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by tariamani
    Quick question: did Count Marzo exist in the filmation universe, or is he solely a product of MYP's imagination?

Cheers!
    Count Marzo comes from the Filmation cartoon but he isn't as cool there as he is in MYP.

Last edited by Mike Bock; July 22, 2006 at 02:40pm.

Other characters who were also in the Filmation cartoon first are Queen Marlena, Hawk, and Evilseed (and so all are not purely MYP characters, should that give them any points for ever finally getting made into figures). Check out the org's Universe Guide too!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok
    Other characters who were also in the Filmation cartoon first are Queen Marlena, Hawk, and Evilseed (and so all are not purely MYP characters, should that give them any points for ever finally getting made into figures). Check out the org's Universe Guide too!
    Yah- what gbagok said.

To clarify- when people take about MYP characters- they are lumping two groups of characters together:

- Original characters that were made for the MYP show- like The Faceless One, King Carnivious, Dekker, etc.

- Characters from the Filmation show/mini comics that were incoporated into the new show- Marzo, Evilseed, Marlenna, Hawk and Keldor.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock
    Count Marzo comes from the Filmation cartoon but he isn't as cool there as he is in MYP.
    I do like his voice better in Filmation, and he makes one of his best quotes in "Search for a Son" to our hero: "I've lived for thousands of years, He-Man, and I will outlive you....in the end...we'll see who rules Eternia"
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

OOOO I think he was WAAAAAY cooler in Filmation.

A: I prefer the 16th Century get-up to his wierd cut-off outfit.

B: He totally outsmarted He-Man and the heroes every time he shoed up, MYP's version was just scary-powerful

But I've become a little too classic-obessed lately

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Stagwolf Art and Toys
    https://stagwolfartandtoys.squarespace.com/

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    The Filmation Marzo was way better. His schemes were a lot more twisted and subtly executed, and he came across as one of the more convincingly evil characters of the show, even at the point when Skeletor had become a pure comedy villain. Also, how many other villains were able to scoff at He-Man's victory so cooly as Marzo in "Search for a Son" with the quote mentioned above by Jukka? Unlike Skeletor, he was a villain who schemed very carefully and wasn't afraid to bide his time, and it was easily believable that even if He-Man does manage to defeat Skeletor, in thousands of years' time when He-Man is nothing but history, Count Marzo could have taken over Eternia and be ruling it himself.

The new Marzo was a major degradation of what had been a great character. The new one was just feeble, just a generic wizard with little distinct personality, and how can anyone be afraid of a villain who'd be screwed if he didn't have that tiny amulet? The fact that his entire power depended on the amulet made him seem totally useless, not to mention that the whole business of him being changed back to an old man, then back to Marzo, then back to the old man again got annoyingly repetitive. I don't even see him as the same character, he was alike the old Marzo in name alone.

So Filmation Marzo can kick the MYP one's butt any day.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I prefer the filmation version because he's more of a bad guy in different ways than just having an amulet that blasts anything. Both are awesome though.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Count Marzo, you're just upset MYP didn't mention planet Eronia.

I prefer MYP's appearance for Count Marzo and his debut MYP episode was very good, but I really like both versions. "The Once and Future Duke" is an excellent Filmation ep IMO.

I can't remember which MYP ep it was, but there was a scene where Marzo blasts Skeletor and Skeletor is completely unhurt. I thought it was pretty foolish. Marzo had originally taken the Palace on his own--something Skeletor never did in MYP--so how the writers reckoned his power paled in comparison to Skeletor is beyond me.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor
    The Filmation Marzo was way better. His schemes were a lot more twisted and subtly executed, and he came across as one of the more convincingly evil characters of the show, even at the point when Skeletor had become a pure comedy villain. Also, how many other villains were able to scoff at He-Man's victory so cooly as Marzo in "Search for a Son" with the quote mentioned above by Jukka? Unlike Skeletor, he was a villain who schemed very carefully and wasn't afraid to bide his time, and it was easily believable that even if He-Man does manage to defeat Skeletor, in thousands of years' time when He-Man is nothing but history, Count Marzo could have taken over Eternia and be ruling it himself.

The new Marzo was a major degradation of what had been a great character. The new one was just feeble, just a generic wizard with little distinct personality, and how can anyone be afraid of a villain who'd be screwed if he didn't have that tiny amulet? The fact that his entire power depended on the amulet made him seem totally useless, not to mention that the whole business of him being changed back to an old man, then back to Marzo, then back to the old man again got annoyingly repetitive. I don't even see him as the same character, he was alike the old Marzo in name alone.

So Filmation Marzo can kick the MYP one's butt any day.
    points understood, BUT theroetically speaking MYP marzo could easily KICK filmation's butt. he is a lot stronger (with the amulet at least) I think MYP marzo has more potential if given the opportunity. the filmation one was written a lot better and if it was revealed later on for him to have the powers that myp had we'd have a very evil demonic character. I like the nobleman demeanour of filmation, but his outfit was very uncool. I like both for separate reasons, but like all things motu there is a perfection lying within combining the best of what we've seen and some surp[rises we haven't filmation, myp and early minis all had shining moments and faults...the formula for perfection lies within each.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian
    points understood, BUT theroetically speaking MYP marzo could easily KICK filmation's butt.
    You're clearly underestimating the full power of the Freezing Fog!
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    You're clearly underestimating the full power of the Freezing Fog!
    Here Here!

And more importantly, Filmation Marzo could have been armed with ORKO'S powers, and his cunning would have still served him in his quest to bamboozle He-Man and take over Eternia.

THAT's the big difference

And I just do NOT understand why people thing the Half-Shirt is cool....

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Stagwolf Art and Toys
    https://stagwolfartandtoys.squarespace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus
    Here Here!

And I just do NOT understand why people thing the Half-Shirt is cool....

D/L
    Because Bow did it, and everyone here believes whatever Bow does is cool.

Good point on Filmation Marzo's Bamboozling powers.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    MYP Marzo rocks! I think he was one of the strongest remakes in the new show. The old Marzo seemed like a crook and not a real threat. The new Marzo although he has to depend on the amulet, he still is powerful, he even put Evil-Lyn in her place!

Is there any reason that Filmation Marzo is always in episodes involving the exploitation of children?

I just finished season 2 and I have to say that I found this trend a bit disturbing.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    Is there any reason that Filmation Marzo is always in episodes involving the exploitation of children?

I just finished season 2 and I have to say that I found this trend a bit disturbing.
    God, yeah! Filmation Marzo is really creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenMorton View Post
    God, yeah! Filmation Marzo is really creepy.
    Super creepy.

And for a show aimed at kids roughly the age of Philip (Search for a Son), Jonno (The Eternia Flower), and David (The Once and Future Duke), it's just really strange.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    Super creepy.

And for a show aimed at kids roughly the age of Philip (Search for a Son), Jonno (The Eternia Flower), and David (The Once and Future Duke), it's just really strange.
    I suppose it's a "don't talk to strangers" thing. Especially "don't talk to strangers who dress up as medieval sex pests and sneer at you".