Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blackstar and MOTU Thread

Also, in the storyboards for "The Return of Orko's Uncle" Blackstar's Star Sword appears!

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    That`s because Filmation was so cheap they used Blackstar stock footage for MOTU
    Actually, it has nothing to do with being cheap...

Filmation never reused Blackstar background artwork - The world (and style of background painting) was very different...

However, in the episode "The Remedy" storyboard artist Michael Swanigan wanted to pay homage to previous Filmation series - As a result there are numerous moments with He-Man performing flips and moves from the Tarzan series, as well as the appearance of Warlock from Blackstar as a Takdryl... - See HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by zartan View Post
    I would have loved a crossover. Both Marlena and Blackstar were from Earth. Granted John was from the future, but the blackhole could have also sent him back in time.
    Marlena is also from the future.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    MOTUC Blackstar NOW!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    Also, in the storyboards for "The Return of Orko's Uncle" Blackstar's Star Sword appears!
    Would LOVE a screen cap of that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zartan View Post
    Would LOVE a screen cap of that!!!
    It will DEFINITELY appear in my soon-to-be-published "Art of the Filmation storyboard" book...

Heroic Warrior

Blackstar vs. MOTU

I've always Blackstar toys were pretty cool. I have absolutely no memories of the cartoon, but I do remember having a good amount of the figures.

Anyway, I've been looking into the whole story and such. It gives me a very uneasy feeling when I think of the similarities.

To make a long story short. It's obvious MOTU ripped Blackstar off.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Blackstar would be a great addition to motuc in 2016. The series has some chracters that would make great figures and bring in new fans. And, we could find out what happened with Blackstarr, Overlord and all of it.
    I want more army builders, Dragon Blaster Faker and world peace! And yes, I want them in that order.

Blackstarr was like the mother and Conan was like the father to He-man

The Blackstarr world had a lot of similarities to the masters of the universe

I don't know if the Blackstar cartoon (1981) influenced Mattel to hire Filmation to create the early animated toy commercial (1982)...

I don't know if Filmation canceled the Blackstar second season (1982) to start MOTU 65 episodes first season (1983)....

James, doesn't this count as reusing? http://bustatoons.blogspot.com/2010/...in-he-man.html
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I seem to remember an interview with Lou Scheimer that Blackstar didn't do well enough to warrant a network wanting to purchase another season. Even Masters of the Universe wasn't picked up by a network when it was first pitched. It went straight in to syndication by working out deals with stations regarding the advertising revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    I don't know if the Blackstar cartoon (1981) influenced Mattel to hire Filmation to create the early animated toy commercial (1982)...

I don't know if Filmation canceled the Blackstar second season (1982) to start MOTU 65 episodes first season (1983)....
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I seem to remember an interview with Lou Scheimer that Blackstar didn't do well enough to warrant a network wanting to purchase another season. Even Masters of the Universe wasn't picked up by a network when it was first pitched. It went straight in to syndication by working out deals with stations regarding the advertising revenue.
    Thanks for your reply !

I was based on Robert Lamb's Blackstar page (first paragraph): "In turn, it was Blackstar that made Mattel want Filmation to create the show for them".

http://www.robertartwriter.com/Blackstar.html

So, as you said maybe Filmation canceled Blackstar second season because the show didn't do well enough but, it seens it was Blackstar that influenced Mattel to hire Filmation do create that early animated toy commercial and then, the first MOTU season....

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I had read that interview too. There is probably no way to ever know 100% if that is true, but it seems likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteeg View Post
    Thanks for your reply !

I was based on Robert Lamb's Blackstar page (first paragraph): "In turn, it was Blackstar that made Mattel want Filmation to create the show for them".

http://www.robertartwriter.com/Blackstar.html

So, as you said maybe Filmation canceled Blackstar second season because the show didn't do well enough but, it seens it was Blackstar that influenced Mattel to hire Filmation do create that early animated toy commercial and then, the first MOTU season....
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Widget

MOTU-Blackstar shared universe: Does it work?

First off, this is thread takes a look at the original Filmation He-Man series. Forgive me if this is revisiting an old or previously discussed topic, but prior to Filmation version of He-Man, there was Blackstar, also produced by Filmation. Now, officially, to my knowledge there is no official connection between the two franchises. However, in some ways, Blackstar can be considered the test run for He-Man. I do know of three incidents where Blackstar-related footage that was overtly inserted into the show:

1. Temple of the Sun: A statue of Blackstar is seen in the background of the treasure inside the temple
    2. The Remedy: He-Man rides a Takdryl, which was a recoloring of Warlock
    3. The Search: the Ice creatures that appear in this episode are re-use of the rock creature in Blackstar's City of the Ancient Ones

In addition, I believe some action sequence stock footage was also reused from Blackstar, and Tarzan.

Also, aside from the most obvious sword and planet connection, there are similarities and concepts that appear to be re-used from Blackstar, that also appear in He-Man:
    1. Sword transition: both shows have sword transitions, that appear similar to each other.
    2. Combining swords of power: Blackstar and Overlord each had 1/2 of a powerful sword (the Power Star). Original He-Man comics depicted both He-Man and Skeletor possessing 1/2 of the Power Sword
    3. Blackstar is a former astronaut from Earth, who crash lands on Sagar. This is similar to Queen Marlana, Adam's and Adora's mother.
    4. More of a connection to POP, Adora joins a rebellion against Hordak, much like Blackstar does against the Overlord.
    5. Also like Blackstar, She-Ra rides a winged steed.
    6. The Widgets and Trobbits are very similar in concept.
    7. The Overlord is similar to appearance to the goblins that appear in He-Man.

While all these similarities are not surprising considering many of the same people worked on the same show, in my own head canon, I take it a step further, and have come to view Blackstar as actually part of the Filmation He-Man continuity. Namely shared creatures, and the Earth astronaut connections. Perhaps Sagar is a nearby planet to Eternia? While obviously an Easter Egg, Blackstar's statue in the Temple of the Sun calls into question if Blackstar is actually someone of importance in the MOTU universe, and what if the Takdryl is the same species as Warlock, somehow transported to Eternia?

So, I am curious, does anyone believe the same? Why or why not?

Court Magician
    I connect them in an overly complicated way, but they never intercede, as in Blackstar would never meet He-Man and vice versa. Sagar and Eternia are the same planet, just in different dimensions: Eternia being in the Eternia dimension and Sagar being in another one (I usually use the Timeless Dimension, but it could be any of the other four dimensions). Additionally, I connect them via Klone and False Face: They each come from the same planet, which I named Corpora in my head canon. Their race is a bunch of elfin shape-shifters, with some being able to take any form they choose and the less talented ones only able to take certain forms (hence the difference in Klone's and False Face's abilities). So basically, Eternia, Etheria, Sagar, Corpora and Infinitia are all the same planet and take up the same spatial location, just in different dimensions.

As for John Blackstar and the Marlena/Powers/Scope and the other astronauts in He-Man, it's difficult to connect their story because of one hiccup: Katana. Katana comes to and fro Sagar and the Federation that she and Blackstar hail from too easily. Really the only way to connect him with the astronauts of He-Man is to say that they somehow traveled into the Eternian Dimension as well as a time portal without it giving the same results to Blackstar and Katana.

On another note, I also connect BraveStarr with Blackstar and She-Ra in a similar way: Tex Hex is the same race as Admiral Scurvy.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    How about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Astronauts John Blackstar and Marlena Glenn discover a Lorentzian wormhole while surveying a geodesic anomaly in space-time, and are unable to overcome its gravity. The particles emitted by the photon-drive of the ship piloted by John Blackstar disrupt the umbilicus of the wormhole, transporting him to Sagar, and the Rainbow Warrior piloted by Marlena Glenn to Eternia.

Heroic Warrior
    I n my version, Sagar is in a pocket dimension where a lot of stuff that is magically banished to no specific place or is lost during magical transport ends up, explaining creatures from Eternia being there. John Blackstar is an astronaut from the Federation, about a hundred and fifty years after He-Man and Co. At this point the Horde Empire has already become the more benevolent Galactic Empire from Bravestarr (which is set even later), but earth is not a member yet, it is instead part of the mentioned Federaration. The rift in space that brings Blackstar to the pocket dimension was created when the Horde Portal Network was destroyed by the Great Rebellion.
    A Blackstarr statue showing up on Eternia? Well, there is obviously time travel involved. Happens all the time.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting thread. Obviously, the Blackstar cartoon made it's debut in 1981 & the MOTU toys didn't come out until 1982.

The Blackstar cartoon was well-done & IMHO very innovative for the time. Good animation (for the time) as well. I caught some of the episodes in re-runs back in the '80's, and a while back caught the entire series on DVD. Too bad there were only 13 episodes, since I felt the show had a lot of potential & should have continued.

The Blackstar toys first came out in 1983, and were obviously based on the '81 cartoon characters. So, as far as who inspired who - it's obvious that the Blackstar characters came first.

That being said, the popularity of the MOTU toys in '82-'83 resulted in the Blackstar toys coming out. They were similar in appearance/sculpts, though the companies were different - Mattell made MOTU, and Galoob made Blackstar toys. I don't remember the Blackstar toys as being as good as the MOTU toys, but some were cool - IIRC I did collect some of these, but never got that many - probably due to being more into MOTU toys at the time. I remember wanting to get the Overlord's Ice Castle, but never doing so. It wasn't nearly as elaborate as Castle Grayskull, but to me it still looked cool. These days getting an intact Ice Castle is tough to do, and the ones that are intact are apparently expensive. Here's an interesting modern Youtube video re: the Ice Castle - notice the mention of MOTU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlNNZLBysM

I also remember wanting to get the Klone figure (who changed into a cat creature) but never getting this either. However, I did think the "laser light" gimmick for the Blackstar figures was stupid & pointless.

I do think the Blackstar cartoon & the MOTU cartoon have some similarities. No, they're not in the same universe, but both involved someone from Earth coming to another galaxy/universe with aliens/monsters/etc. In Blackstar it was obviously John Blackstar, the astronaut who ended up in another galaxy & got stuck there, then had adventures, etc. In MOTU Queen Marlena (Adam's mother) had been an astronaut from Earth who somehow ended up on Eternia, couldn't leave, and ended up getting married to King Randor, etc.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; February 16, 2018 at 06:05pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by WALTOR View Post
    Blackstarr was like the mother and Conan was like the father to He-man
    Does that make Thundarr the uncle he takes after just a little too much for comfort?
    MOTUC Wishlist: Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Andros, Monstroid, the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nova1972x View Post
    First off, this is thread takes a look at the original Filmation He-Man series. Forgive me if this is revisiting an old or previously discussed topic, but prior to Filmation version of He-Man, there was Blackstar, also produced by Filmation. Now, officially, to my knowledge there is no official connection between the two franchises. However, in some ways, Blackstar can be considered the test run for He-Man. I do know of three incidents where Blackstar-related footage that was overtly inserted into the show:

1. Temple of the Sun: A statue of Blackstar is seen in the background of the treasure inside the temple
    2. The Remedy: He-Man rides a Takdryl, which was a recoloring of Warlock
    3. The Search: the Ice creatures that appear in this episode are re-use of the rock creature in Blackstar's City of the Ancient Ones

In addition, I believe some action sequence stock footage was also reused from Blackstar, and Tarzan.

Also, aside from the most obvious sword and planet connection, there are similarities and concepts that appear to be re-used from Blackstar, that also appear in He-Man:
    1. Sword transition: both shows have sword transitions, that appear similar to each other.
    2. Combining swords of power: Blackstar and Overlord each had 1/2 of a powerful sword (the Power Star). Original He-Man comics depicted both He-Man and Skeletor possessing 1/2 of the Power Sword
    3. Blackstar is a former astronaut from Earth, who crash lands on Sagar. This is similar to Queen Marlana, Adam's and Adora's mother.
    4. More of a connection to POP, Adora joins a rebellion against Hordak, much like Blackstar does against the Overlord.
    5. Also like Blackstar, She-Ra rides a winged steed.
    6. The Widgets and Trobbits are very similar in concept.
    7. The Overlord is similar to appearance to the goblins that appear in He-Man.

While all these similarities are not surprising considering many of the same people worked on the same show, in my own head canon, I take it a step further, and have come to view Blackstar as actually part of the Filmation He-Man continuity. Namely shared creatures, and the Earth astronaut connections. Perhaps Sagar is a nearby planet to Eternia? While obviously an Easter Egg, Blackstar's statue in the Temple of the Sun calls into question if Blackstar is actually someone of importance in the MOTU universe, and what if the Takdryl is the same species as Warlock, somehow transported to Eternia?

So, I am curious, does anyone believe the same? Why or why not?
    Nope you are not the only one. I always thought in my own cannon that marlana was lost looking for blackstar. And that the bravestarr section of the Galaxy is where Rio blast came from

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    Nope you are not the only one. I always thought in my own cannon that marlana was lost looking for blackstar. And that the bravestarr section of the Galaxy is where Rio blast came from
    With the introduction of the idea of 1) Multiple He-men and 2) The sword changes shape/color based on who is holding it.... my personal preference now is for Blackstar to be one of the 'previous' He-men who just went by a different name. Pretty much my head-canon for NA He-man too. He's He-man from the FUTUREEEEE. And now you can have a Thor Corps type of Team up with King Grayskull, Blackstar, He-man and Future He-man all against some super baddie

Widget
    a short-lived cartoon, and very underrated, and it had the combined sword element that was in the original He-Man minicomics that Skeletor and He-Man fought over, which was never used in the latter Filmation He-Man cartoon.

Also, I had Tom Cook draw me a colored sketch of the villain Overlord at LA Comic-Con last year, and then got it signed by Alan Oppenheimer, who happened to also voice Overlord.

yep, Blackstar should deserve a deluxe 7'' action figure in the Club Grayskull / Filmation line, still has a cult following
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Triklops 1 View Post
    yep, Blackstar should deserve a deluxe 7'' action figure in the Club Grayskull / Filmation line, still has a cult following
    absolutely, it was definetley precursor to the more iconic Filmation He-Man series.