Page 2 of 117 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie Rumors Thread

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    No big surprise here. The project should wait until there comes a production team and a writing team actually serious enough to take on the task. Obviously all of the early scripts must have really sucked just as bad as the possible casting choices for He-Man. A CGI film made to look realistic should just get made so He-Man and friends will actually look realistic yet retain the appearances that we are so used to.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I don't know Adam personally, and maybe he was gunning for something for a wide audience on a different vibe than we fans are used to, but I heard from multiple sources from different places that the script wasn't very good.
    The problem is, you can still have a movie appeal to a wide-audience while still giving fans what they want (ie. Spider-Man).

Even with a good script though, you have to wonder how much it ends up getting hacked up anyway. Case in point: The original 1987 He-Man movie script was much better than the final screen version.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    Why Rifkin anyways? He creditials are rubbish!

Who pickes these people?!
    Sadly, a lot of studios just bank on the name of the property. Just like "Bewitched"... Go to see the movie because it is "Bewitched", then you find out it uses the characters (somewhat) from "Bewitched" but then the movie is horrible. Sadly, from reviews of the script for the upcoming "Get Smart" movie we will be getting yet another non-faithful adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    Larry Ditillio needs to be involved in a MotU movie if Mattel wants it to be pleasing to the fans, and pleasing to non-fans. I think Larry could do that.
    I agree. I would actually probably do a co-writing situation with Larry paired up with a more seasoned motion picture script writer who has some type of background in the fantasy/action type genre.

And yes, the 4H designs are what should be used. They are perfect.
    I disagree. The movie would be another reboot if you will. We will need different designs, hopefully ones that are shifted to be classic yet still fit on the motion picture screen. Face the facts, most people are familiar with He-Man's classic look. However, this would actually result in probably using more of the 4H color schemes. But remember, Mattel is going to need to be able to market new toys and merchandise.

Plus, they absolutely need to use a sword design that is as close to the classic toy or Filmation as possible. We didn't get it in the Dolph movie and we didn't get it in the 4H line. That sword, to me, is He-Man. Same with She-Ra. It is one of the coolest sword designs ever and I would love to see it in action on the big screen.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    It is dissapointing, I badly wanted a movie to happen, but maybe it is a good thing it didn't happen after all and hopefully it does happen in the future with a good script faithful to the MOTU property.

MOTU has so much potential for a series of movies, I just hope they happen one day.

On the point of the designs, I think the 4HM designs will be "new" reboots of old designs to the wider public anyway. So I'd say they will probably be in some way and I think they are the most realistic and film worthy.

I think a live-action, somewhat tweaked version of MYP's "The Beginning" would make for a great new MOTU film. But anyone see the new TMNT trailer?? I think a cgi-based MOTU film like that could/would be just as awesome! Hopefully this is a good thing that it has been dropped for now, cause who knows, we could still get something better in the future.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Onekorn View Post
    I think a live-action, somewhat tweaked version of MYP's "The Beginning" would make for a great new MOTU film.
    If you mean highly tweaked, then yes. "The Beginning" works better as episodes with "to be continued" rather than a movie (much like how Secret of the Sword works better in the 5-parter format). There is too much filler in "The Beginning" and it would need to be highly expanded for a motion picture.

But anyone see the new TMNT trailer?? I think a cgi-based MOTU film like that could/would be just as awesome! Hopefully this is a good thing that it has been dropped for now, cause who knows, we could still get something better in the future.
    I haven't seen it, but I think CG is great for non-human characters, but when it comes to humans I just don't think we are quite there yet. Realistic humans that is... that Polar Express movie came somewhat close, but those kids looked too creepy!

I wasn't impressed with the CG on TMNT to be honest!

I was expecting a higher quiality of CG.

If they got muscles and muscle interaction in CG stuff the a CG MOTU movie would be cool but they just haven't gotten anatomy nailed yet in these things. The Hulk was the best one so far but that was still a little off at times.

I actually feel kind of relieved that this isn't going through.

I mean, I'd love to see a He-Man movie, but perhaps this way they can sweep it under, re-evaluate it, and in a while come back with something refreshed and with a new direction--but not so new that it puts the fans off in a devastating way.

Even with the success of the DVDs and 80s properties right now, I feel that the time for 80s retro cartoon show popularity is on its way out the door for various reasons. If they don't make a movie soon, it may be too late, and Mattel will have even less hope in the He-man franchise.
    Leeloominaï Lekatariba Lamina-Tchaï Ekbat De Sebat

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeelooMinai View Post
    I actually feel kind of relieved that this isn't going through.

I mean, I'd love to see a He-Man movie, but perhaps this way they can sweep it under, re-evaluate it, and in a while come back with something refreshed and with a new direction--but not so new that it puts the fans off in a devastating way.

Even with the success of the DVDs and 80s properties right now, I feel that the time for 80s retro cartoon show popularity is on its way out the door for various reasons. If they don't make a movie soon, it may be too late, and Mattel will have even less hope in the He-man franchise.

Pretty soon, 90's stuff will be popular again because of nostalgia. I must shield my eyes and find a safe place to hunker down for ten years when that happens.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I agree, I've not been sold at all on the names that were thrown around for this flick anyway.
    I'm gonna agree that this was for the best.

Besides... They really just need to get folks that look good in the FourHorsemen designs. The movie look and feel is already set with what the fab four have already established!
    I would like to see the Four Horsemen involved with designing the costumes for a new movie. That said, some of the costumes would have to be redesigned from the toys outfits to fit real-life actors properly (Man-At-Arms huge shoulderpad comes to mind).

I would like to see this movie done by Marvel. They are producing their own films now. I wonder if they could produce a film whose characters are owned my Mattel? I think a company that treat 'superheroes' with respect is the way to go.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; November 30, 2006 at 05:08pm.

Even with the success of the DVDs and 80s properties right now, I feel that the time for 80s retro cartoon show popularity is on its way out the door for various reasons.
    I disagree ...

Batman and Superman began back in the 1930's ... and they're as popular today as they were back then.

There will always be a place for great characters and good stories.

If they don't make a movie soon, it may be too late, and Mattel will have even less hope in the He-man franchise.

Technology has changed since the 80's. A live-action feature film may not even be necessary nowadays.

Can not Mattel make a Direct-to-DVD animated He-Man film?

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    I don't think a direct to DVD movie would be a good idea. There budgets are usually MUCH MUCH lower and any MOTU film needs to have a VERY healthy budget.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Pretty soon, 90's stuff will be popular again because of nostalgia. I must shield my eyes and find a safe place to hunker down for ten years when that happens.
    Can I hide out with you???

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    I disagree ...

Batman and Superman began back in the 1930's ... and they're as popular today as they were back then.

There will always be a place for great characters and good stories.
    I hope that you are right...It's just a feeling I have, is all. And not all popular franchises remain popular for all time. Some die, and are resurrected, and they go for a long time. Others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Technology has changed since the 80's. A live-action feature film may not even be necessary nowadays.

Can not Mattel make a Direct-to-DVD animated He-Man film?
    Sure they could, but I don't think they will...After reading various threads on the issue, and knowing how Mattel works. But we can never say for sure, can we?

Would the fans want to see an animated movie, and what do you think the revenue on it would be vs. a live action film? Fair weather fans may not be interested in an animated film because it could be "more of the same" that they can get on DVD. I'll say there are some definite wide-open possiblilties regarding such an idea, and I'm defintiely not opposed to it. But the studios? It is after all, our fandom that we are trying to trust them with...But they are still going to do what they feel will pull in the most $$$, regardless of what we think.

Either way, a He-Man movie could fail whatever the medium.

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    The He-man series has always seemed epic and 'larger than life' to me, it was as much about the planet and other worlds as it was about the unique and diverse characters.
    One director comes to mind when I think of mass landscape and great character development with visualisation and storytelling to boot; with recent successful movies like Lord Of The Rings and King Kong, Peter Jackson would be the dream choice in my opinion.

Would the fans want to see an animated movie, and what do you think the revenue on it would be vs. a live action film? Fair weather fans may not be interested in an animated film because it could be "more of the same" that they can get on DVD.
    Had the DVDs not been doing well, I doubt Mattel would've even been interested in doing a movie.

Capitalists that they are, they're no doubt looking for a way to tap into the DVD market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Had the DVDs not been doing well, I doubt Mattel would've even been interested in doing a movie.

Capitalists that they are, they're no doubt looking for a way to tap into the DVD market.
    Oh, I totally agree with you.

I personally would love to see them get JMS back for a He-Man movie down the road.
    Avatar artwork by Robert DeJesus.

Movie mayhem!

movie

Well this does make me sad... but I also think it is for the best. The film was floundering where it was... maybe now being a free agent again it can thrive elsewhere in better hands.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    I don't know, I really want to see a live-action movie, but it would have to be done right, and that means getting someone for the screenplay who both loves the franchise and is capable of writing a decent screeplay. And that might be a tall order to fill-unless Val decides to get off his ass.
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Heroic Doctor & Mad Man
    That is some sad news, but I am sure another studio will pick He-Man and friends up, if Transformers does big business.

If a new film does get made, I hope that the filmmakers make the masters believable in their designs. A Filmation live-action He-Man would be silly on screen, same for the other versions. There must be a balance of the looks to make it feel believable to the audiuence. I think that some of the 4H designs fit the bill with a little work and a lot of Energon, I will have something.

P.S.

The Oringal Live Action Movie slogan should have been this:
    "I want to Earth, and I all got was this T-shirt.
    Hi Everybody!

Heroic Warrior Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    All in favor of getting Richard Donner to take up the cause, say I!
    Just wait a year to start the campaign - by then he'll have handed in plenty of great scripts with Geoff Johns for Action Comcis...

So says the Sword.
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

sad news indeed, but probably for the best. I really hope the movie gets made sometime soon though. I keep imagining how awesome it would be seeing the 4HM design characters on the big screen!
    Here's hoping the transformers movie does well!
    No sacrifice is for nothing, if it helps other people. - He-Man
    Episode: Eye of the beholder

Market place feedback:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=mosquitor87

Member of the Arizona Mazters!

Heroic Warrior
    One word best describes this situation: DAMN!!!!!
    Between the world we see and the things we fear. There are doors; when they are opened; nightmares become reality.

The designs should like the original box art but still have the characters look distinct enough (no reusing of "parts" to save money). Some designs would definitely have to use the 4HM designs (Buzz-Off and Clawful, for example).
    Some of my artwork
    Some more of my artwork
    "When the troll's upon you, you're a mighty fighter."

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquitor87 View Post
    sad news indeed, but probably for the best. I really hope the movie gets made sometime soon though. I keep imagining how awesome it would be seeing the 4HM design characters on the big screen!
    I hope they go back to the Filmation Sorceress (I could never get those wings sprouting from her back. )

Widget
    my idea is that they should have an animated he-man cartoon movie with she-ra of course they cant have the original actors but maybe they can have other actors voices over the original cartoon and maybe include all of the characters that were not in the original cartoon like scare glow
    Last edited by gsb78g; December 1, 2006 at 12:36am.