Page 6 of 117 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie Rumors Thread

Heroic Warrior

I have a really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the new Transformers movie will have a "Pimp my ride" scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Well, the oscar comment might be streching it (though, anything is possible, I guess... I mean, even South Park was nominated for an oscar), but I pretty much agree with everything else you've said here.

MOTU has SO much potential, but very few people seem to be able to see past whatever it is that blocks so many from seeing that potential. And those who can see don't seem to be in a position of power to actually make it happen.

I believe that if handled in just the right way, the MOTU movie could be perfect (or near perfect). I mean, sure, currently there is a limited MOTU fan base. But, there are a lot of people (one that grew up on 80s MOTU) who feel they've 'outgrown' cartoons and toys, and probably had/would have had little to no interest in the 200X cartoon, toyline, and/or the current stactions. And, if they were to pick up the DVD sets of the old cartoon show that are now out, they might look at it, think of it as being extremely cheesey, and not see it the same way they did as a kid.

However, if a MOTU movie were to come out and be done right, it could take many of the elements of MOTU that so many are familiar with and love, adapt them into a form that adults of today (as well as kids) could strongly enjoy, and give those who grew up on MOTU back in the day something that will bring back all of those wonderful nostalgic feelings without the 'cheesey' after-taste. I'm sure if someone who loved MOTU as a kid saw a trailer for what would clearly be a well-done MOTU movie, they would be all over it.

And, the movie would also be done in such a way that people not familar with the series at all could love it as well.

Even if there isn't a huge base of ACTIVE fans, MOTU was FREAKING HUGE a couple of decades ago or so, and I'm sure about 99.9999% of those fans from back then are still alive, well, and kicking today. All it will take is the right movie with the right advertising campaign to awaken the MOTU fan within each of them. It can be done, while also creating some new fans in the process.

Now, if only someone would actually do it and not screw it up.
    exactly.

except i firmly believe if done right the academy COULDN'T ignore nominating if for AT LEAST special effects. just looking at the creatures and characters that exist in MOTU, the transformation sequence, Battlecat, etc. LOTR got nods and wins for a lot but looking just at the special effects ones why couldn't MOTU win for that as well? shoot the cartoon won an emmy for best sound editing. so my belief is in the whole 'if done right' thing that we are both envisioning. Oscars nods for Special effects. lighting, sound editing and set design. a properly done MOTU flick deserves at LEAST those. and in a perfect world Best supporting actor - whoever plays Skeletor.

To support the fanbase comment - LOTR didn't have a HUGE fanbase - yes it's a trilogy of books that many know but it wasn't the community it is now. The success of the movies brought a lot of people into it - some got into the book because of the movie, others saw the trailers and siad hey I remember that! or at least saw the trailers and said WOW that looks COOL! MOTU can get that WOW factor REALLY easily.
    Last edited by krosfyah; March 18, 2007 at 02:16am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppet View Post
    I have a really bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the new Transformers movie will have a "Pimp my ride" scene.
    You mean like this?

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    exactly.

except i firmly believe if done right the academy COULDN'T ignore nominating if for AT LEAST special effects. just looking at the creatures and characters that exist in MOTU, the transformation sequence, Battlecat, etc. LOTR got nods and wins for a lot but looking just at the special effects ones why couldn't MOTU win for that as well? shoot the cartoon won an emmy for best sound editing. :-D so my belief is in the whole 'if done right' thing that we are both envisioning. :-) Oscars nods for Special effects. lighting, sound editing and set design. a properly done MOTU flick deserves at LEAST those. and in a perfect world Best supporting actor - whoever plays Skeletor. :-D

To support the fanbase comment - LOTR didn't have a HUGE fanbase - yes it's a trilogy of books that many know but it wasn't the community it is now. The success of the movies brought a lot of people into it - some got into the book because of the movie, others saw the trailers and siad hey I remember that! or at least saw the trailers and said WOW that looks COOL! MOTU can get that WOW factor REALLY easily.
    Actually... you're just a tad wrong about Lord of the Rings. When the New York Times compiled their list of the Best Selling Books of the 20th Century about 6 years ago, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was # 2 on the list! Only 1 book managed to outsell it!

What book, you ask? Why, The Bible, of course. Which officially makes LOTR the best-selling book WRITTEN in the 20th century! And keep in mind, it achieved that distinction BEFORE the movies hit theaters, and despite having only been on sale during the latter half of the century! The books didn't get released until 1955 or so!
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

I saw this article in the Toronto Sun today, under a full page article on the Transformers Movie:

We kid you not, there are more big-bucks toy stories in the works

By KEVIN WILLIAMSON

Tricky Transformation

Toys are for kids -- and executives looking for their next tent-pole franchise. With The Transformers storming the box office July 4, what other contenders may be hustled into production?

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE

John Woo was most recently attached to direct He-Man and arch-nemesis Skeletor. (We'll pretend the 1987 version with Dolph Lundgren never happened.) Woo, however, has since dropped out, meaning it may be an eternity before we see Eternia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    You mean like this?

Actually... you're just a tad wrong about Lord of the Rings. When the New York Times compiled their list of the Best Selling Books of the 20th Century about 6 years ago, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was # 2 on the list! Only 1 book managed to outsell it!

What book, you ask? Why, The Bible, of course. Which officially makes LOTR the best-selling book WRITTEN in the 20th century! And keep in mind, it achieved that distinction BEFORE the movies hit theaters, and despite having only been on sale during the latter half of the century! The books didn't get released until 1955 or so!
    what I meant was that LOTR didn't have the big fan community(as opposed to fanbase) that it does now after the movies (toy releases high end profit making collectibles a big presence in cosplay and conventions etc.) As great a book might do in sales doesn't compare to the exposure the same stories/character gets when a blockbuster movie is made. but I didn't know that about the sales. pretty darn good!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Dude! My question got answered on Moviehole. Head over there now.

Tallstar Asks : Hello Adam, Can you give us an idea what direction you went on the script for “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe”? It has been stated that Fox 2000 handed the project back to Mattel, but now its listed as an 'upcoming' project. Has there been some renewed interest? Thanks!

Adam : Legally I’m not allowed to say much concerning HE-MAN, however I can say this: HE-MAN is a movie that’s definitely going to be made! Where and with whom are all pretty top secret at present, but when the shroud of mystery is finally lifted I can promise you, HE-MAN fans will not be disappointed.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Superman weighed probably about 230 and He-Man weighed in at about 750 pounds! He-Man would have kicked Superman’s posterior and pulverized him into the ground!
    - Roger Sweet

If He-Man weighed that much he wouldn't be able to move.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

The Incredible Hulk can move great, and he is supposed to weight over half a ton. Heck, he can jump a mile into the air!
    It's called suspension of belief.
    The moment we try to make it all real is the moment some of the magic is ruined.

So the movie is definately happening? That makes me pretty excited!!

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    WHOA!! SWEEET!! .. well.. maybe.. Let's hope it is a good script..

*gulp!*

Dr. Ω

Quote Originally Posted by SheRaFan_1 View Post
    So the movie is definately happening?
    Don't count on it until they actually start production

However, I do think it is at least a small positive that he even answered the question, let alone did talk very well about He-Man and his fans.

Link?
    Not familiar with the site.

And DANG that's excellent news! Thanks Tally!

EDIT: Nevermind... Found it RIGHT HERE!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

The news made it on superherohype.com as well.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5364

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Don't count on it until they actually start production
    Yeah, I'll believe it when I know something concrete.

It's unlikely a new company seeking the rights will use Rifkin's script, which would technically put him out of the loop.
    So he may just be keeping hope alive. That's parr for the course in Hollywood.

If Transformers kicks butt, though, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about a movie.

But I have zero hope for a new movie being anything I'll like as a fan. No one will ever update us about anything, or keep us in the loop, nor have they thus far.
    We've had to pull teeth to get the little info we've had in the past.
    So the fact that no one tells the fans anything means they don't care about us liking it.
    Which should tell you something about the direction of any possible film.

That doesn't mean I am already against it.
    I just have zero expectations. I think that's the wisest thing for any fan at this point.
    I strongly doubt it'll be like Transformers where they talk to the fans, or hire artists/consultants who are fans, or send fansites sneak peaks at stuff, etc.

I'd be amazed if they did! But that's never been Mattel's approach which is the opposite of Hasbro's. And Mattel's the key player in the film.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I know what you mean Val, and I hope whoever is making the movie does consult He-Man.org on some things, even if its a quick Q&A with fans.

But If Mattel are running the show with this movie, then maybe its not such a bad thing Maybe Mattel know what type of movie they want, especially if its part of a relaunch. And it is Mattel's line even though they handled it bad during the 200X relaunch, they may even keep it faithful to the MOTU we love.

If its an independent movie maker who is going solo, then maybe we should be worried. If its Mattel who's thinking of making the movie, then maybe it would work. Still I can't help but feel excited.

And I've since gone off the idea of John Woo doing the movie, I saw MI:II over xmas and.....

With '300' being such a huge success, and 'Transformers' just around the corner, I think it's highly likely a MOTU movie will be made in the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's unlikely a new company seeking the rights will use Rifkin's script, which would technically put him out of the loop.
    So he may just be keeping hope alive. That's parr for the course in Hollywood.
    I've a bit of speculation to throw into the mix. Here's my interpretation on what might be happening and what Adam Rifkin said:

In the article that Emiliano originally posted, it made mention that Mattel might be still interested and that it could involve John Woo's production company, Lion Rock Productions. If that is the case and Adam interacted with John Woo at some point when He-Man was set up at Fox 2000, then is it possible that Adam might still be involved and have first-hand information? Maybe he just switched from Fox 2000 to Lion Rock.

Also, I could be TOTALLY off-base here but, from what I'm getting out of Adam Rifkin's words, it kinda sorta sounds like they might already have a cast lined-up for this or that they've progressed in some way beyond the script. He seems too sure that we'll be happy. hehe I know, I'm rambling again.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    With '300' being such a huge success, and 'Transformers' just around the corner, I think it's highly likely a MOTU movie will be made in the next 2 years.
    It's already made $129 million in the U.S. alone -- (more rambling) I seem to remember there being a press release a couple months back saying that He-Man was still on the plate, but that John Woo had lost interest. Taking into account what I said in the previous quote, maybe he's interested again because he now realizes just how big a money-maker He-Man can be.

*Takes his grain of salt*

Anybody else here want one?
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    If this happens, Is it likely it'll still be directed by John Woo?

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I dunno. Personally I think it's a possibility. See, it doesn't necessarily mean that John Woo dropped out of the project just 'cause Fox 2000 handed it back to Mattel. Last I remember hearing anything about John Woo, was in a press release which stated that he was still gonna do He-Man but that he had lost enthusiasm. In other words, it wasn't a high priority.

Also, I could be TOTALLY off-base here but, from what I'm getting out of Adam Rifkin's words, it kinda sorta sounds like they might already have a cast lined-up for this or that they've progressed in some way beyond the script.
    That's highly unlikely.
    It's odd for any movie studio to keep an option underwraps.
    But especially odd for them not to announce casting options when confirmed... and casting only occurs on a greenlit picture, which we'd know about if MOTU was a go.

Not saying there's not someone else in the ring.
    Just that I strongly doubt it's gotten very far at this point with no leak to the public, let alone intentional press release.

Of course, stuff can happen in Hollywood overnight, just like it can drag on for years.
    Just keep an eye out for rumors.

That's highly unlikely.
    It's odd for any movie studio to keep an option underwraps.
    But especially odd for them not to announce casting options when confirmed... and casting only occurs on a greenlit picture, which we'd know about if MOTU was a go.
    That's true.

Whatever is happening, I just hope they're taking their time.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I know something concrete.

If Transformers kicks butt, though, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about a movie.

I strongly doubt it'll be like Transformers where they talk to the fans, or hire artists/consultants who are fans, or send fansites sneak peaks at stuff, etc.

I'd be amazed if they did! But that's never been Mattel's approach which is the opposite of Hasbro's. And Mattel's the key player in the film.
    I don't know how many TF fans are on this forum, and has discussed about this. I'll just try to explain every point in the above qoute.

TF movie has big chances to kick butt, but not because it is a TF movie, but because it is a movie with transforming robots in big fights. TF movie is not made for fans, its made for general public. They could have slapped another name on it and name the bots diferently and they would have had the same effect, naming TRANSFORMERS is going to get back "casual fans" that had tfs as toys in the '80 as kids and had nothing with tfs when they got to puberty.

The names are tf names, they did hire Cullen for voice work, Welker is in the works, but that's it for fan input. They did send sneak peeks at fansites, they did have fan artist but fan consultants? Apart from Prime and Megs voice actors and bot names, everything else has to do with TFs as much as Gundam. The designs are futuristic and they look cool, but they're not tf designs.

What Mattel has to do with the next MOTU movie, if they make one, is to take the old 1987 movie and upgrade it, as they did with the cartoon series.
    I watched the old movie, and apart from some stuff, that they left unexplained like what happened that allowed Skeletor to conquer Eternia, the movie setting of Earth which cuts expenses on making scenery, and those annoying "kids", everything else was great. Costums were great, altough Teela and Duncan need a workover. Characterisation was great, apart from He-man who was a brick (but that was script writers fault). Action was great. The old MOTU movie had flaws, but flaws that could have been easily corrected.

They need to make a MOTU film, PERIOD.

Teela wore so much leather she looked like she belonged to an S&M club. The Sorceress looked as if she was from the planet Krypton (Where's the bird suit, guys? )

He-Man and Skeletor were so-so ... and don't get me started about going to EARTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I really hope not. John Woo's entire career consists of 2 very good movies and a whole bunch of bad to slightly below average ones. And it's been 15 years since his last good flick.

They need someone who understands EPIC.