Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 551 to 571 of 571

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

  1. #551
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    1. No. Never. As a professional television writer I was (and still am) always aware of "Standards & Practices" -- prohibitions rightly dictated by the broadcaster -- and I adhered (and still do adhere) to them. Particularly in children's television, the purpose of Standards & Practices is not so much to censor writers or cramp their style as it is to make certain that scripts are age-appropriate and there's nothing in them that can have a negative effect on children or lead them to dangerous initiative behavior. Standards & Practices departments at broadcasters routinely consult, again in the case of children's television, with prominent child psychologists for establishing their guidelines and for review of scripts. The well being of children is their primary objective and they are a valuable asset in children's programming.

    2. That's one of the best questions I've ever received. Interestingly, I was in the middle of writing a screenplay adaptation of my (imo) terrifying horror novel -- CONFESSIONAL (Leisure Books) -- when I unexpectedly got an assignment to write episodes of Super Mario Brothers. It was a huge shift and one which I immensely enjoyed because it stretched me as a writer.

    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Q 1:When doing one of your toons did you ever get something sent back saying you can't do this?

    Q 2:Was you ever in the position of say.....in the middle of writing a spy novel when asked to do a toon? If so that's got to be quite the transition to make.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 31, 2018 at 01:35am.

  2. #552
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    114
    Was there ever any discussion of gettin John Erwin and Alan Oppenheimer to reprise He-Man and Skeletor?
    Last edited by themodrenman; August 8, 2018 at 10:43pm.

  3. #553
    Heroic Warrior motogp_fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    Was there every any discussion of gettin John Erwin and Alan Oppenheimer to reprise He-Man and Skeletor?
    This.
    NA made heman and skelly appearance quite different, animation and all but retaining the voices can make a huge difference.

    Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

  4. #554
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    11,357
    I'm curious to the answer as well, but I'm guessing I know the answer. They did the voice acting from Vancouver, Canada to save on costs like a lot of cartoons did. If you go on wiki, you will see they are all Canadian voice actors. They would have had to of flown John and Alan in or have them record at a different studio in the states which would have upped the costs.

  5. #555
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    Not to my knowledge. But I wasn't involved with casting. For the record, if I had been I certainly would have approached George.

    Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    Was there ever any discussion of gettin John Erwin and Alan Oppenheimer to reprise He-Man and Skeletor?

  6. #556
    Widget
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    11
    Big New Adventures of He-Man fan here! Loved the cartoon and the toy. A few questions (I apologize if any of these are repeats):

    1 - The first wave of toys were the major players in the series (He-Man, Hydron, Flipshot, Skeletor, Flogg and Slushhead). Wave 3 characters also had significant roles in the series (Sagitar, Spinwit, Tuskador, Artilla, Quakke, Staghorn, BH). But wave 2, especially the heroes, had a minor presence in the series (Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Optikk, Lizorr, Hoove, Karatti). Was there any direction from Mattel to focus on the Wave 3 characters? If my memory is right (which it may well not be) the original movie (made up of the first 5 episodes) came out when the toyline was released (with wave 1), and I think the rest of the series coincided around the wave 3 release. So was this a result of Mattel's instruction?... Or did it just play out that as the storylines unfolded, wave 2 didn't fit in as much?

    2 - Were there restrictions on the amount of romance that could be used in the series? This question was asked of the Filmation writers at Power Con, and they said there were no restrictions... just that a TV show aimed at young boys could turn off it's target audience if it had romance. I wondered if Mattel or Jetlag didn't want to see it? Or if the reasoning here was the same... target audience wouldn't like it?

    3 - When I got the DVD's a few years back, I was shocked to find morals at the end of each show. This was a fun surprise, as in the U.S. (or at least on my local channels) the morals were not shown. Any reason why these were omitted from TV?

    ... and a few comments:

    Mutiny on the Mothership was one of my favorite episodes as a child. I loved the division of the bad guys. Staghorn always struck me as the type of character who might pull off something like this, so it's perfect that he is part of the mutiny. This is one of his best episodes.
    Four Ways to Sundown is one of the best He-Man stories in any incarnation of the show! As a child, I loved it for its humor, watching both the heroes and villains squabble about how the adventure went down. As an adult, I still love watching it, as it in a unique He-Man story... this is one episode where you can say there is nothing at all like it in any other version of the show. It is very well written, and the final "combined" piece of dialogue at the end is classic!
    Flipshot is a fun character whose bravado and overconfidence/arrogance makes him stand out in the He-Man universe as alot of the heroes are pretty well-mannered. (He's the Han Solo of MOTU.) He has alot of good moments throughout the series, but one of my favorites is Sheriff of Gorn City, as he and deputy Spinwit handle the problems on Denebria. He appears to have been a fun character to write.

    One aspect I really love about this show is the continuity. There were three separate 5-part storylines. (The last one was actually a 6-part storyline, including the Call to the Games episode). Meliac was a great character who appeared in several episodes. And in the end this series had what no other series had the benefit of featuring in the He-Man universe... a definitive conclusion! The mutants surrender and Skeletor and Critta are banished to space...to be king and queen of nothing! I thoroughly enjoyed this series as a child, and still enjoy watching it now as a parent (and watching my kids react to it - they love it also).

  7. #557
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    Thank you for your post, GoPenguins. I've often said "Writers, producers, directors and actors are nothing without fans," so I want to sincerely thank you for being a fan of NA.

    I'll handle your questions one at a time:

    1. While Mattel, for obvious reasons, wanted me to highlight Wave 1 characters early on, they gave me no direction and allowed me considerable latitude for how I wanted to use further characters. I chose to use them strictly based on which would add the most to each episode. As an aside, there has been occasional and strong criticism in other threads about Mattel. As someone who worked with them on many, many series one the years, I have to say I've rarely worked with executives and a company that were more nurturing and respectful of writers. They surely recognized that they were selling a product and merchandise. But just as surely they respected the creative process and those of us who worked in that endeavor for and with them.

    2. No restrictions on the amount of romance used. I do think with Mara and Drissi involved that there was an element of romance or that it was at least hinted at -- both of which were purposeful decisions to include on my part as I felt it helped to make He-man a mire full character. Likewise with Skelly and Crita -- oh my beloved Crita! But naturally we kept it age-appropriate.

    3. My recollection is that the PSA morals at the end of each episode did air in the U.S. market, but I could be wrong. Each international market had the right to air or not air them.

    Thank you for your comments. Along with The Running of the Herd, Four Ways to Sundown is my favorite episode -- my send-up to brilliant director Akira Kurosawa and his towering film Rashomon.

    For further background on NA, hoe it was developed and created, along with an honest analysis of the flaws in some of the characters and marketing decisions, and how I envisioned Season Two, you might enjoy this podcast:

    http://masterscast.com/?p=46

    Here, as well, is my website, some of the projects I worked on, created and was involved with hopefully bringing back some good childhood memories to you:

    http://jackolesker.com

    Quote Originally Posted by GoPenguins View Post
    Big New Adventures of He-Man fan here! Loved the cartoon and the toy. A few questions (I apologize if any of these are repeats):

    1 - The first wave of toys were the major players in the series (He-Man, Hydron, Flipshot, Skeletor, Flogg and Slushhead). Wave 3 characters also had significant roles in the series (Sagitar, Spinwit, Tuskador, Artilla, Quakke, Staghorn, BH). But wave 2, especially the heroes, had a minor presence in the series (Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Optikk, Lizorr, Hoove, Karatti). Was there any direction from Mattel to focus on the Wave 3 characters? If my memory is right (which it may well not be) the original movie (made up of the first 5 episodes) came out when the toyline was released (with wave 1), and I think the rest of the series coincided around the wave 3 release. So was this a result of Mattel's instruction?... Or did it just play out that as the storylines unfolded, wave 2 didn't fit in as much?

    2 - Were there restrictions on the amount of romance that could be used in the series? This question was asked of the Filmation writers at Power Con, and they said there were no restrictions... just that a TV show aimed at young boys could turn off it's target audience if it had romance. I wondered if Mattel or Jetlag didn't want to see it? Or if the reasoning here was the same... target audience wouldn't like it?

    3 - When I got the DVD's a few years back, I was shocked to find morals at the end of each show. This was a fun surprise, as in the U.S. (or at least on my local channels) the morals were not shown. Any reason why these were omitted from TV?

    ... and a few comments:

    Mutiny on the Mothership was one of my favorite episodes as a child. I loved the division of the bad guys. Staghorn always struck me as the type of character who might pull off something like this, so it's perfect that he is part of the mutiny. This is one of his best episodes.
    Four Ways to Sundown is one of the best He-Man stories in any incarnation of the show! As a child, I loved it for its humor, watching both the heroes and villains squabble about how the adventure went down. As an adult, I still love watching it, as it in a unique He-Man story... this is one episode where you can say there is nothing at all like it in any other version of the show. It is very well written, and the final "combined" piece of dialogue at the end is classic!
    Flipshot is a fun character whose bravado and overconfidence/arrogance makes him stand out in the He-Man universe as alot of the heroes are pretty well-mannered. (He's the Han Solo of MOTU.) He has alot of good moments throughout the series, but one of my favorites is Sheriff of Gorn City, as he and deputy Spinwit handle the problems on Denebria. He appears to have been a fun character to write.

    One aspect I really love about this show is the continuity. There were three separate 5-part storylines. (The last one was actually a 6-part storyline, including the Call to the Games episode). Meliac was a great character who appeared in several episodes. And in the end this series had what no other series had the benefit of featuring in the He-Man universe... a definitive conclusion! The mutants surrender and Skeletor and Critta are banished to space...to be king and queen of nothing! I thoroughly enjoyed this series as a child, and still enjoy watching it now as a parent (and watching my kids react to it - they love it also).

  8. #558
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    941
    What was your proudest moment of the series?

  9. #559
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    Unquestionably my proudest moment was when I walked into the MGM Theater in Culver City, California to watch the premier of the first five episodes of NA, grouped together to form a movie.

    A writer's life is a solitary life, much of it spent alone for long stretches as we write. (It's one of the reasons I've moved to producing and directing in the last ten-years.) Back when I began work on NA I was elated when we got the 65-episode buy and I immediately leapt into writing the 96-page serial bible. Following that I began pounding out scripts at the rate of two and sometimes three a week. Solitary life, indeed.

    So when Jetlag's Mark Taylor invited me to the premier of the 'movie', I was delighted for a chance to get away from my writer's lair for a night. Little did I know what I was in for because rapscallion Mark hadn't prepared me for it.

    You have to remember the MGM theater was in the heart of the Culver City studios, where, according to Wikipedia "hundreds of movies have been produced, including The Wizard of Oz, The Thin Man, Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, the Tarzan series, and the original King Kong. More recent films made in Culver City include Grease, Raging Bull, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, City Slickers and Contact. Television series made on Culver City sets have included Las Vegas, Gunsmoke, Mad About You, Lassie, Hogan's Heroes, Batman, The Green Hornet, The Andy Griffith Show, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., Jeopardy!, The Nanny and Wheel of Fortune." Being humble is not exactly my strong suit, but it was clear to me that I was in rarefied air, so that clacking sound I heard as I approached the theater was my knees knocking together over and over and over again in awe.

    As I approached the theater's entrance I could hear a rising dim of shouts. Entering the theater I found 1,500 screaming kids and their parents watching a live action He-man and Skeleton duking it out on stage. I was later introduced as the Creator of the series, to the thunderous cheers of the kids -- surely my proudest moment because it was a palpable demonstration of my having positively touched children's lives.

    Then the lights dimmed and the 'movie' played on the big screen, raucous kids alternately cheering the heroes and jeering the villains, for one shining moment NA held in stratospherically high regard, much popcorn being gleefully thrown and a good time being had by all...especially yours truly.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 4, 2018 at 07:16pm.

  10. #560
    Heroic Warrior Zentron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    941
    Did you ever decide on what characters were going to be in a second season if you got one? Were any character designs drawn up to pitch to the management, or a rough story outline?

  11. #561
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    He-man and Skelly, of course. Flogg, Slushhead and Crita. And Mara to keep things interesting for He-man when he gets home. Would be fun to have a few Mites and Gleanons, BUT NO SCIENTISTS!!!

    The basic story outline was covered in my Masterscast podcast linked in a previous post.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Did you ever decide on what characters were going to be in a second season if you got one? Were any character designs drawn up to pitch to the management, or a rough story outline?

  12. #562
    Heroic Warrior Grimbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    2,237
    Did any member of the production team preserve model sheet packs?
    So odd that after all these years, not a single model sheet from the show has showed up online.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

  13. #563
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    I have no idea. Artwork and animation was done by KKC&D in Tokyo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Did any member of the production team preserve model sheet packs?
    So odd that after all these years, not a single model sheet from the show has showed up online.

  14. #564
    THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    1,699
    How do you feel about New Adventures characters/locations/ideas/stories being reused/reimagined/redesigned in(to) a different canon or fanon version (e.g. in MotUC/Nu52, or a possible NuPoP sequel incorporating or based on NA stuff, or just fanfic)?
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

  15. #565
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    My feeling is that anything that respectfully perpetuates and expands the MOTU world is a good thing. As the creator of NA, I'm both pleased and flattered that another writer, producer, director finds value in what I created, to the extent that they build upon it and bring their own perspective to it. That's called 'growth'.

    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    How do you feel about New Adventures characters/locations/ideas/stories being reused/reimagined/redesigned in(to) a different canon or fanon version (e.g. in MotUC/Nu52, or a possible NuPoP sequel incorporating or based on NA stuff, or just fanfic)?

  16. #566
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    3,682
    Maybe this was asked before maybe it wasn't. To be honest I'm not really interested in going through 23 pages.

    several words could be used for what I'm about to ask but I'm going to use the word "reimagined".

    what is your opinion/view of characters or properties getting reimagined every so often? Is necessary? Is it needed? when I say characters or properties I mean the whole gambit. toons, your favorite comic book superhero, your favorite movie, tv show, favorite toy line. you name it. transformers, G.I. JOE, TMNT or even power rangers.

  17. #567
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    I think it's very healthy, and I say that respectfully knowing that many people will take issue with that. But you're asking my personal opinion; not for a debate. (And a debate is fine if that's what you want. Frankly, I think that could be an interesting thread in the Other forum.) I think characters should grow. Someone posted it was a mistake that She-ra's hair was a different color in NA than in MOTU. My answer was, "Hey, women change their hair color from time to time."

    Characters can grow in lost of other ways, too. They become more numb to things or they become more sensitive, they become more conservative or more liberal, some change their sexual identity, others change their religion, find religion or stop Believing in God. All of it, imo, is healthy because it shows growth. Do we really want characters to stay exactly they way rather were twenty or thirty years ago? If they're more than two dimensional, shouldn't they be affected by interpersonal relationships, but personal tragedies or triumphs, societal changes and all the other factors that result in all of us in real life growing and changing people?

    Sometimes charcters grow is a space of a single motion picture -- Rocky Balboa, Darth Vader. It's tougher in episodic television, but it can and does happen. Watch Sonny in Into the Badlands -- for my money one of the past series ever on television, now tragically canceled. Watch how his character changes over the series' arc.

    As a writer, I'm strongly in favor of growth and change, both in myself and in the characters I enjoy and create. It makes me, them and life interesting I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Maybe this was asked before maybe it wasn't. To be honest I'm not really interested in going through 23 pages.

    several words could be used for what I'm about to ask but I'm going to use the word "reimagined".

    what is your opinion/view of characters or properties getting reimagined every so often? Is necessary? Is it needed? when I say characters or properties I mean the whole gambit. toons, your favorite comic book superhero, your favorite movie, tv show, favorite toy line. you name it. transformers, G.I. JOE, TMNT or even power rangers.

  18. #568
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    3,682
    Not looking for a debate. I'll let someone else create that that thread.

    Just looking to hear from the other side of the coin.


    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I think it's very healthy, and I say that respectfully knowing that many people will take issue with that. But you're asking my personal opinion; not for a debate. (And a debate is fine if that's what you want. Frankly, I think that could be an interesting thread in the Other forum.) I think characters should grow. Someone posted it was a mistake that She-ra's hair was a different color in NA than in MOTU. My answer was, "Hey, women change their hair color from time to time."

    Characters can grow in lost of other ways, too. They become more numb to things or they become more sensitive, they become more conservative or more liberal, some change their sexual identity, others change their religion, find religion or stop Believing in God. All of it, imo, is healthy because it shows growth. Do we really want characters to stay exactly they way rather were twenty or thirty years ago? If they're more than two dimensional, shouldn't they be affected by interpersonal relationships, but personal tragedies or triumphs, societal changes and all the other factors that result in all of us in real life growing and changing people?

    Sometimes charcters grow is a space of a single motion picture -- Rocky Balboa, Darth Vader. It's tougher in episodic television, but it can and does happen. Watch Sonny in Into the Badlands -- for my money one of the past series ever on television, now tragically canceled. Watch how his character changes over the series' arc.

    As a writer, I'm strongly in favor of growth and change, both in myself and in the characters I enjoy and create. It makes me, them and life interesting I think.

  19. #569
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    Don't misunderstand me. I wasn't saying you wanted a debate. I do, however, think that would be a great thread because many fans want their characters to remain exactly as they re and others want them to evolve. To hear both points of view and why they feel that way could be interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Not looking for a debate. I'll let someone else create that that thread.

    Just looking to hear from the other side of the coin.

  20. #570
    Heroic Warrior Lokus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    210
    Hello

    I been rewatching the Sky Dancers and your name is popping up on every other episode . I am also going to have to assume you worked on Dragon Flyz too ?

  21. #571
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    9,226
    Yes. Those were two wonderful series that I wrote multiple episodes for. I had a blast writing for them, and Abrams and Gentile were a joy to work with.

    https://www.listal.com/tv/sky-dancers

    https://skydancers.fandom.com/wiki/T...%27s_the_Limit

    Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    Hello

    I been rewatching the Sky Dancers and your name is popping up on every other episode . I am also going to have to assume you worked on Dragon Flyz too ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •