Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Olesker's Thread: "You've Got Questions, I've Got Answers"

Liberty, justice, peace. The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    If I had known there was a final episode to be produced, I would have surely done that. I like happy endings.
    How about that last episode be a Christmas special? Coldheart tries to stop Santa from delivering his presents, realizes his folly after the Care Bears show him all the poor deserving kids who will be heartbroken, and with the help of the Care Bears, delivers presents on the routes Santa couldn't get to and becomes reborn.

"Coldheart's Merry Little Christmas"?

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    How about that last episode be a Christmas special? Coldheart tries to stop Santa from delivering his presents, realizes his folly after the Care Bears show him all the poor deserving kids who will be heartbroken, and with the help of the Care Bears, delivers presents on the routes Santa couldn't get to and becomes reborn.

"Coldheart's Merry Little Christmas"?
    Works for me.

Search function is not working, so hope this is an appropriate place for this question.

Is there a good quality version of the music from the original commercials floating around anywhere? Thanks!

Heroic Warrior
    Have you read Masters of the Multiverse? If so, what did you think of the NA issue?

I don't have and answer for you, but I'm guessing there are NA fans who do.

Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    Search function is not working, so hope this is an appropriate place for this question.

Is there a good quality version of the music from the original commercials floating around anywhere? Thanks!
    - - - Updated - - -

I haven't read it. One of the problems with being a writer, producer and director is that I don't have a lot of time for reading.

Perhaps it's best if I ask what you thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Have you read Masters of the Multiverse? If so, what did you think of the NA issue?

Hi Jack! Before I give you my question, I just want to say that while I'm not the biggest fan of NA, I did enjoy watching through the episodes. I'm a sucker for continuity-driven stories and the episodes you wrote are among my favorites from the series. My question for you regards Nocturna and Vizar. While I consider them main characters due to their prominent appearance in the opening/closing credits, their sparse screentime doesn't shed any real light on their personalities. What were your plans/ideas for those two?

You can only give so many characters major developmental parts in episodes because the more you include, the more it cuts into other characters' screen time. Hence the reason Nocturna and Vizar's lack of in-depth screen time that would have allowed for their personalities to be developed in Season 1.

I had planned to give both of them prominent roles in Season 2, which never happened. I envisioned Nocturna as a turncoat, secretly approached by Flogg and bribed into working with him. Over a period of three or four episodes I wanted Vizar to be the one who discovers this and ultimately deals with Nocturna. Vizar would have experienced a lot of angst over this because they were good friends.

Quote Originally Posted by medium_pyro View Post
    Hi Jack! Before I give you my question, I just want to say that while I'm not the biggest fan of NA, I did enjoy watching through the episodes. I'm a sucker for continuity-driven stories and the episodes you wrote are among my favorites from the series. My question for you regards Nocturna and Vizar. While I consider them main characters due to their prominent appearance in the opening/closing credits, their sparse screentime doesn't shed any real light on their personalities. What were your plans/ideas for those two?

Hello, I'm still a bit confused about the original release date of the first Motu toy wave or figure.
    Was it in 1981 or 1982? Also, do we happen to know the month?
    Thank you
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

The New Adventures of He-man began airing in Fall 1990, with the first wave of action figures concurrently released.

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    Hello, I'm still a bit confused about the original release date of the first Motu toy wave or figure.
    Was it in 1981 or 1982? Also, do we happen to know the month?
    Thank you

The New Adventures of He-man began airing in Fall 1990, with the first wave of action figures concurrently released.
    That doesn't answer my question at all. I believe I constructed my question comprehensible. I didn't ask for the new adventures line. But the original 1981/82 line.
    PlayStation 4 owner? Join our Masters of the Universe community with 3k members.

You may well have. But if you'll look at the first post that began this thread you'll see that this is a thread dedicated to providing answers about NA. There are plenty of other threads for other iterations of MOTU.

That doesn't answer my question at all. I believe I constructed my question comprehensible. I didn't ask for the new adventures line. But the original 1981/82 line.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 8, 2020 at 11:27pm.

This thread has the prefix "NA" attached to it. If it were about the original Masters of the Universe toyline or cartoon, it should have the "MOTU" prefix attached to it.

It's what I was trying to politely say. Thank you for saying it in a more concise way, Firefly.

As most here know and appreciate, I write, produce and direct full time for my production company. As such, my discretionary time is extremely limited. So I try to use my time to focus only on NA, unless I'm in The Tar Swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This thread has the prefix "NA" attached to it. If it were about the original Masters of the Universe toyline or cartoon, it should have the "MOTU" prefix attached to it.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 27, 2020 at 12:53am.

Heroic Warrior
    Here's a hey why not ask it even though it may sound kind of dumb question.

Set up:We know it used to be toons sells toys. we've heard stories of X episodes of Y shows that people was told to focus on z to sell that character's toy.

sooooooo,

was you asked to come up with a character that could sell a lot of merchandise?

It's a great question, midor.

While Mattel is a toy company and their business is to sell toys, they gave me a great deal of latitude when it came to the series. Actually, they gave me a great deal of latitude on the many series I worked with them on. By that I mean their neither pushed me to overly hype their characters nor asked me to create new ones they could sell. Now that doesn't mean they didn't want me to focus on waves of the action figures coming out. Of course they did because, after all, they wanted to sell action figures and it made sense that they asked me to include the characters in episodes that were going to be released. And if some of the characters I created -- like my beloved Crita -- happened to end up with being an action figure then that was just a tangential benefit.

The nice thing was they never ever made me feel like I was supposed to be pushing toys. I workedwith many executives at Mattel during my nearly four decades in the entertainment industry. I know sometimes people give them heat. But I have to say that universally everyone I worked with at Mattel was focused -- at least with me as a writer -- in getting the best stories they could out of the scripts we were creating. I think that's tremendously to Mattel's credit and benefit because they both respected the creative process and importance of entertainment in a series and also that they understood that it was in their vested interest to have great stories because that's what sells product.

It's not for nothing that Mattel is one of the largest toy manufacturers in the world. They get it.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Here's a hey why not ask it even though it may sound kind of dumb question.

Set up:We know it used to be toons sells toys. we've heard stories of X episodes of Y shows that people was told to focus on z to sell that character's toy.

sooooooo,

was you asked to come up with a character that could sell a lot of merchandise?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; October 27, 2020 at 01:04am.

Widget
    With the search function not operational this thread seemed as the best place to "ask" about this.

A long time ago in a galaxy known as 1990 Yugoslavia we had 8 He-Man comics issues published (3 of which I have and have read 100's of times). Not one of them has a single mark of who made them originally, and with some research on my part I managed to find them here:
    https://www.he-man.org/publishing/su...id=52&subid=60

They may not be the most captivating stories, but the art is what I really like. They look like the toys, unlike the cartoon which was much simplified, and that toy look captivated me as a kid.

My problem is that I don't speak German, so I was wondering if these comics were ever translated into English? If so, are they available somewhere....

And if some of the characters I created -- like my beloved Crita -- happened to end up with being an action figure then that was just a tangential benefit.
    Thank you Jack for your time on these, it's really a cool experience to be able to ask directly questions of someone that had an influence over many of our childhood's in the many ventures and IP's that you have worked hard on.

I don't want to bother you on things you may have answered already, so please forgive me if I am back tracking (working with search!) - but was very curious if you had a moment to list out characters you created in NA, or had a strong design influence hand in from your own creative process, any that are your personal favorites? Respecting you literally wrote the bible on the series, I am fascinated and really enjoy many of the NA designs and characters!

Thanks for being and sharing here!

Quote Originally Posted by tottimas View Post
    With the search function not operational this thread seemed as the best place to "ask" about this.

A long time ago in a galaxy known as 1990 Yugoslavia we had 8 He-Man comics issues published (3 of which I have and have read 100's of times). Not one of them has a single mark of who made them originally, and with some research on my part I managed to find them here:
    https://www.he-man.org/publishing/su...id=52&subid=60

They may not be the most captivating stories, but the art is what I really like. They look like the toys, unlike the cartoon which was much simplified, and that toy look captivated me as a kid.

My problem is that I don't speak German, so I was wondering if these comics were ever translated into English? If so, are they available somewhere....
    I'm afraid I'm at a loss on this one as I was not involved with the comics. That said, I think if you create a thread in the New Media and Licensed Products Forum and ask that question, you will likely find a knowledgeable MOTU fan who can answer your query.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicShlock View Post
    Thank you Jack for your time on these, it's really a cool experience to be able to ask directly questions of someone that had an influence over many of our childhood's in the many ventures and IP's that you have worked hard on.

I don't want to bother you on things you may have answered already, so please forgive me if I am back tracking (working with search!) - but was very curious if you had a moment to list out characters you created in NA, or had a strong design influence hand in from your own creative process, any that are your personal favorites? Respecting you literally wrote the bible on the series, I am fascinated and really enjoy many of the NA designs and characters!

Thanks for being and sharing here!
    Fine question, Toxic.

Please bear in mind NA was many years ago, so I may not be 100% correct on all of these.

Certainly I created Mara, Master Sebrian and Drissi. My recollection is that I created Crita, but she could have come to me from Mattel. Even if she came from Mattel, I had a major influence in her dominatrix look and her way of being. I'll confess I was pushing the envelop a bit with Crita, but, to their credit, Mattel gave me some latitude. I know two now-former Mattel executives, who shall remain unnamed, who were quite amused. Crita is my personal favorite character in NA -- "Skelly, you've been a bad boy. You need some discipline..." WHIP CRACK.

As a side note, I totally wrote the Series Bible. At 96 pages, at the time it was the longest Series Bible I'd ever written. It was a labor of love. Knowing my reputation for writing fast and great -- it's not bragging if it's true -- Jetlag gave me a week to pound out the Series Bible, and pound it out I did. I have always prided myself on delivering on schedule. During thirty-seven years in the entertainment industry, I've never missed a deadline...and I never will.

Writing thirty+ episodes in seventeen weeks -- from story springboards to beat outlines to multiple rewrites for each script, is another story, but with all deadlines met on time. Like the USAF survival training I went through as a search-and-rescue parajumper combat medic, it's something I'm glad I went through it, but I surely wouldn't want to go through it again.

There were many characters who appeared in single or even multiple episodes that I created. Grot, the gardener, was one of my favorites, as was Meliac. I believe I also created the Mytes and the Gleanons. They sound like something I'd create.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 15, 2020 at 03:49pm.

Widget
    I'm afraid I'm at a loss on this one as I was not involved with the comics. That said, I think if you create a thread in the New Media and Licensed Products Forum and ask that question, you will likely find a knowledgeable MOTU fan who can answer your query.
    Thanks for answering. At first I thought this was one of those general questions thread, now I see what it really is. Keep up the good work

My gosh, when I started this thread fourteen years ago, little did I imagine it would have over three hundred and forty thousand views, especially considering NA was widely disparaged at the time. So many thanks to BCI for the NA DVD collection that persuaded many fans to give NA a second chance and to start a now-long-running dialogue about NA among fans.

I have loved the fan interaction and opinions -- both positive and negative in this thread -- and I'm grateful for that.

As I've said in other forums, writers, producers, directors and actors are nothing without fans. So I wanted to pause during this holiday season to extend my heartfelt thanks to all MOTU fans -- and yes, including NA haters -- for allowing me to be a part of this board. You're all the greatest.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to one and all.

I love NA more than the MOTU. In episode 4, Karatti and Hoove were perhaps the closest to defeating He man. Karatti is my favorite mutant it was my first action figure of all my he man. It is a pity that in later episodes Karatti was not shown so much. Power of Karate vs Power of good.

Thank you for your comments. As you are a fan of NA, I thought you might enjoy this:

http://masterscast.com/2007/01/28/ma...st-episode-25/

As well as a link to my website:

https://jackolesker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gazag View Post
    I love NA more than the MOTU. In episode 4, Karatti and Hoove were perhaps the closest to defeating He man. Karatti is my favorite mutant it was my first action figure of all my he man. It is a pity that in later episodes Karatti was not shown so much. Power of Karate vs Power of good.

Great thanks, the first podcast in my life that I listened to from beginning to end.