Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: COPPERHEAD Fan Character Discussion & WIP

Eternian Sculpter Wannabe Royalt1us's Avatar

COPPERHEAD Fan Character Discussion & WIP

This is the post where I will post my work in progress on COPPERHEAD to make it more accessable to those interested.
    I will update the images in this first post as the project progresses, but will leave progress pics wherever I post them in the thread below.

COPPERHEAD was last years CO-CHAMPION of the 2nd ANNUAL FAN BASED CHARACTER CONTEST here on the boards. As such, he will be sculpted in Staction form along side of OOZOR who also won.

Here are some of the pics I did of COPPERHEAD for the Contest.

Here are Copperhead's latest pics

After creating OOZOR I've learned a couple things which will help in making COPPERHEAD. But before I get sculpting let's hear your thoughts. We had a discussion about OOZOR before I started his sculpt, let me hear your thoughts on COPPERHEAD.

I see him being about as tall as Clawful, and I plan to use a Clawful as a base, after removing a lot of detail of course. But I'm open to ideas and could change my mind if there is enough input and compelling reasons to do so.

Feel free to share your own artistic renditions of the Cybornetic Snakeman Brute as well. I plan to start sculpting this weekend, sp look forward to pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Royalt1us; May 14, 2007 at 08:18pm.

Ohhhhh... I got some ideas and I'll do my best to hit them up tonight/tomorrow. The biggest thing for me on Copperhead (that I'm NOT sold on) are his turtle shell armour, cyber-feet and gauntlet designs (although what I have in mind are just variations of what already exists.)

Hopefully nobody will mind me doing up a design pic in the same vein as the Oozor one I did...

Quote Originally Posted by Sllohcin View Post
    Ohhhhh... I got some ideas and I'll do my best to hit them up tonight/tomorrow. The biggest thing for me on Copperhead (that I'm NOT sold on) are his turtle shell armour, cyber-feet and gauntlet designs (although what I have in mind are just variations of what already exists.)

Hopefully nobody will mind me doing up a design pic in the same vein as the Oozor one I did...

Bring it ON!

Also, discuss this. Should COPPERHEAD have 2 fingers and a thumb like all the other Snakemen, or 3 fingers and a thumb as most often seen in drawings of him? For th contest, I did one of each. What do you think?

Copperhead details...

On the subject of gauntlets... I really like 2-Bads more rounded gauntlet designs the best out of all the various renditions I've seen of Copperhead, and I hope that is the direction you take him in too... and yes, I will want a Copperhead, too, just to get my name on the list!!!
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

I'm really EXCITED about this.

I think using Clawful as the base is the perfect idea, Tom. Thats what I used when i drew the first Copper head pic. As for the fingers, I know I was more inclined towards using five finger, but coming to think of it, I'd really prefer the two fingers, one thumb i dea more. Since almost all Snakemen have 3.

Slo, I honestly can't wait to ee what you have in store for the big guy. Whtever it is, I know its going to be good.I just hope you dont get rid of the shell or should i say back armor.

Wll here are some more Copperhead reference pics.

Last edited by 2-bad; January 2, 2007 at 10:47pm.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

Quote Originally Posted by Royalt1us View Post
    Bring it ON!

Also, discuss this. Should COPPERHEAD have 2 fingers and a thumb like all the other Snakemen, or 3 fingers and a thumb as most often seen in drawings of him? For th contest, I did one of each. What do you think?
    Well, for me, I would much prefer Copperhead to be VERY Snakeman-ish so two fingers and thumb is my vote. I also see him being a bit more streamlined in design and much more heraldic (if that makes sense as he's already quite herald'ed up )

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Shrimp View Post
    On the subject of gauntlets... I really like 2-Bads more rounded gauntlet designs the best out of all the various renditions I've seen of Copperhead, and I hope that is the direction you take him in too... and yes, I will want a Copperhead, too, just to get my name on the list!!!
    Well, I may disappoint as my design is much more snake head-ish actually.

Cool! I'd like to see that!

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

A big fan of Slush Head
    Bring on the snakeman!!!

I like the idea of his hands matching up with the rest of the snakemen (2 fingers and one thumb).

As far as Copperhead's armor is concerned - he is a cyborg and that's what makes him really cool. He's not just a big, beefy snakeman killing machine. He's a big, beefy CYBORG snakeman killing machine. His armor is what makes him so cool.

Thinking back to 2-Bad's Copperhead comic - there is a panel where Copperhead's shell is slicing through the snow like a shark's fin. That visual really stood out for me. It reminded me of a real life snake - the anaconda. Anacondas are HUGE snakes that can hide in just a few inches of water and some lillies. And in 2-Bad's comic - Copperhead is this HUGE snakeman cyborg and he's hiding out under the snow with only his spine razors showing.

Now whether or not Copperhead's armor has room for improvement... I'm not sure. I think that decision really belongs to 2-Bad and what Tom can realistically sculpt. I think that a collaboration between some of the really talented folks on here can only improve Copperhead (as the collaboration on here really evolved Oozor).

Either way - I'm looking foreward to having both Copperhead and Oozor on my bookshelf.

What's wrong witha turtle shell? Turtles are reptiles too. And if my memory serves me, I wouldn't be the first to suggest that Tongue-Lasher seems to have a frog or toad not far back on the family tree. In either case, I think the back armor will be awesome, whether it looks like a turtle shell or not.
    But don't let any opinions keep anyone from posting their ideas and sketches.

Give me a lot to work with and what we come up with will be the best it can be!

Heroic Warrior Buffalo-Bill-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Royalt1us View Post
    What's wrong witha turtle shell? Turtles are reptiles too. And if my memory serves me, I wouldn't be the first to suggest that Tongue-Lasher seems to have a frog or toad not far back on the family tree. In either case, I think the back armor will be awesome, whether it looks like a turtle shell or not.
    But don't let any opinions keep anyone from posting their ideas and sketches.

Give me a lot to work with and what we come up with will be the best it can be!
    I have to agree with the fact TungLashor looks frog like.
    I think the armor is fine on CopperHead too.
    I do think his design could use a few little changes to make it a little less cluttered.
    The main spots that comes to mind are his gauntlet areas.

If I have sometime I'll see if I can do a few sketchs for the different ways I can see it going.

BBM-

Movie mayhem!
    I really like the shell an armor... the first colored pic in this thread is really perfect I think... though yea I guess the gauntlets are a little cluttered... but the rest is perfect.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

I never said I didn't like the turtle shell... all I wrote was that I had altered it a tad in my take on him. It would no longer be seen as a turtle shell though... moreso a a spiky spine/shoulder blades/neck covering.

Now the real fun begins

I personally think Copperhead looks best with 2 fingers as shown in the rendition on the right of your initial post.

Bring it!

I missed out on something here. Did you say that Copperhead and Oozor would be available and we can get a figure of them? If that is the case I would like to own these two guys.

Sorry I misunderstood the back armor topic Ric. Now I really can't wait to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunkyboy View Post
    I personally think Copperhead looks best with 2 fingers as shown in the rendition on the right of your initial post.

Bring it!

I think that settles the fingers topic. 2 fingers & a thumb sound just PERFECT.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

AWESOME! A Copperhead discussion thread!

I love this character, always have - right from the beginning. The thing that struck me from the beginning was the MASSIVE forearms! I like the gauntlets, and all the cybernetic parts. I also like the idea of him being a different type of reptile (ie turtlesque) since the original Snakemen, for me as a kid, included amphibians and other reptiles too.

My favorite depiction of the character thusfar is the colored version by Royalt1us. I think it would work well as a staction, but I also can't wait to see what Sllohcin, BBM, and other artists have in mind. I really enjoyed seeing the evolution of the Oozor figure, and hope that we see the same thing here.

PS. The 2 fingers and thumb works fine for me.

IQ test results: negative sdilks's Avatar
    I thought Oozor was awesome, but I gotta admit I voted for Copperhead when the polls were up!

I finally got my Oozor, and he is phenominal, but I can't wait to see what Royalt1us does with CH!

As far as the fingers go, I say 2 fingers and a thumb. After all, they are cybernetic enhancements, right? Not additions.

I think royalt's color pic is the best. Although i can definietly see the logistical nightmare the guantlets could pose for molding and casting. I think the sleek/powerful look of Royalt's pic, where they come further up the forearm (which I think is awesome), but with the simplified tubes/pipes and design of 2-Bad's pic would work well.
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that none of it has tried to contact us." -B.W.

Heroic Warrior Hordaks Henchman's Avatar
    how great is this?

another great staction. i am curiosed to see the first pictures of you work

First off the design behind him looks decent enough already. Only a few suggestions, from the waist up the color picture is perfect from the waist down though. the "sash" needs some details like in the black and white picture. Finally I know the figure is top heavy and thats cool, but the the "dinky" cybernetic boots just.. whats the word I'm looking for.....sucks? they're way too small for some one that size, I think they would benifit from maybe being above the knee and maybe have it's calves be a bit longer he is a snake after all and not a turtle. This thing will be fantastic to see once it's finished. I wish I had more time to try these things these days.

About the sculpting? are you going to try for a scaley look for the non cybernetic parts? That would so set apart the drawings from the sculpting and personally I think it would look fanatastic. although I know it might cause havoc for the method of casting you do especially if you use small scales like on the Snake face staction, but maybe if you used ones like the 4HM did on Squeeze?
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    First off the design behind him looks decent enough already. Only a few suggestions, from the waist up the color picture is perfect from the waist down though. the "sash" needs some details like in the black and white picture. Finally I know the figure is top heavy and thats cool, but the the "dinky" cybernetic boots just.. whats the word I'm looking for.....sucks? they're way too small for some one that size, I think they would benifit from maybe being above the knee and maybe have it's calves be a bit longer he is a snake after all and not a turtle. This thing will be fantastic to see once it's finished. I wish I had more time to try these things these days.

About the sculpting? are you going to try for a scaley look for the non cybernetic parts? That would so set apart the drawings from the sculpting and personally I think it would look fanatastic. although I know it might cause havoc for the method of casting you do especially if you use small scales like on the Snake face staction, but maybe if you used ones like the 4HM did on Squeeze?
    So don't just crit and run.
    Sketch up a design. How would you design those boots?
    As for his scales, I haven't desided yet, but be assured I'll challenge myself.

Oh, this is soo cool. I just love Copperhead!

As for suggestions: I have nothing against the back armor, but I am eager to see what Sllohcin is cooking up. In any case I could see a more streamlined back armor, so Copperhead doesn't look too hunched. Although some different plates may be necessary so it would be more easy to move for this character? I also think that the leg cybernetics do look rather weak compared to the claws. I also would suggest at least some more fantasy elements for the design, in order to get the typical Motu blend of sorcery and technology.

Other than that: How do you plan on tackling all those little tubes? I could live without them if necessary...

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Oh, this is soo cool. I just love Copperhead!

Other than that: How do you plan on tackling all those little tubes? I could live without them if necessary...
    I have my ways...

All I'm gonna say on Cooperhead is...

Keep his hands like the majority of the Snake men... Two fingers, and a thumb per hand.

That's all.

Whatever else is done I'm sure will be spectacular. Looking forward to seeing Ric's mockup.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

sorry about the crap mock up no real time to delve deeper into this right now but this is kinda what i meant imagine and the little wires and tubes etc etc etc
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1