View Poll Results: Filmation Hordak or Mattel Hordak ?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mattel Hordak

106 51.71%
  • Filmation Hordak

99 48.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mattel Hordak vs Filmation Hordak which one do you prefer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A big fan of Slush Head

Mattel Hordak vs Filmation Hordak which one do you prefer?

I was playing with photoshop tonight with a screen cap of Hordak from the toon so I decided to color him the "right" way which means the toy way just to see how he would have looked like if colored like the toy. He looks interesting.

So I want to ask you which Hordak do you prefer the Filmation color's version or the Toy version huh?

As much as I love the figure I prefer the character in the toon colors for some reason. I think the blue makes the character standout more.

So what about you?
    Last edited by Mike Bock; February 16, 2007 at 12:50am.

Heroic Warrior
    Filmation Hordak easily, I don't know what mattel were thinking with their colour scheme. Maybe it was [content removed]year for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    As much as I love the figure I prefer the character in the toon colors for some reason. I think the blue makes the character standout more.

So what about you?
    Blue does indeed make the character stand out more, but for me, that's actually not what I want. I prefer Hordak in his canon origins - more vampiric and ruthless in nature than his snorting buffoon of a Filmation counterpart. He was, of course, "watered down" to be more viewer-friendly for a mostly female audience at the time. In the mini-comics, he played to a different drum beat.

So it really depends on which character you preferred as well. "Filmation colours" Hordak seems a failure-prone wacky shape-shifting techno-wizard, whereas mini-comic Mattel Hordak is sufficiently darker, more cunning and much more competant (although still prone to failure - being the bad guy).

Take your pic.

Of course, I prefer the 4H envisioned MYP Hordak most of all, but that's another story.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by discosupafly View Post
    Blue does indeed make the character stand out more, but for me, that's actually not what I want. I prefer Hordak in his canon origins - more vampiric and ruthless in nature than his snorting buffoon of a Filmation counterpart. He was, of course, "watered down" to be more viewer-friendly for a mostly female audience at the time. In the mini-comics, he played to a different drum beat.

So it really depends on which character you preferred as well. "Filmation colours" Hordak seems a failure-prone wacky shape-shifting techno-wizard, whereas mini-comic Mattel Hordak is sufficiently darker, more cunning and much more competant (although still prone to failure - being the bad guy).

Take your pic.

Of course, I prefer the 4H envisioned MYP Hordak most of all, but that's another story.

Well let's try to avoid how he was portraided in the toon and foucs only on the colors cause that's a different story definitely. If I had to choose (personality wise) which Hordak verison I like more I would pick the mini-comics Hordak by a mile. I like Hordak in the toon but his mini-comic version was superior without a doubt and I agree with you there 100%. But if I had to pick a color scheme I guess I like more Filmation's model sheet.

Well let's try to avoid how he was portraided in the toon and foucs only on the colors cause that's a different story definitely. If I had to choose (personality wise) which Hordak verison I like more I would pick the mini-comics Hordak by a mile. I like Hordak in the toon but his mini-comic version was superior without a doubt and I agree with you there 100%. But if I had to pick a color scheme I guess I like more Filmation's model sheet.
    Agreed. But from a strictly artistic standpoint I find the Filmation colours stand out too much. To be blunt, they're an eyesore. I prefer the muted Mattel colours - it's just more visually appealing to me.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    I think Filmation's Hordak is better. But of course, I adore everything as made by Filmation and not Mattel. Sometimes I wonder, what were these guys thinking when they were producing the toyline? In general, the toyline for me looked nothin like the cartoon. I tend to believe that these AWESOME cartoons were TOO much for them.
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post
    I think Filmation's Hordak is better. But of course, I adore everything as made by Filmation and not Mattel. Sometimes I wonder, what were these guys thinking when they were producing the toyline? In general, the toyline for me looked nothin like the cartoon. I tend to believe that these AWESOME cartoons were TOO much for them.
    Ahem... well considering that the toys were often produced up to years before the character would appear on a He-Man or POP cartoon, you do realise that it's actually a case of the cartoon looking nothing like the toyline, right?

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post

You know reading this reminds me the debate we were having about Mattel and Filmation not working together accordingly, which I think could have been a cause of MOTU's early downfall in the 80's. I would like you to give us your opinion on this thread please mermaidliz http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=145410

Cause reading your reply is proof that these two companies didn't like to listen too much too each other and came out with what each thought was best. They created two different MOTU's the toon and the toys.

I went with Filmation, the blue just makes him pop and stand out
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I was playing with photoshop tonight with a screen cap of Hordak from the toon so I decided to color him the "right" way which means the toy way just to see how he would have looked like if colored like the toy. He looks interesting.

So I want to ask you which Hordak do you prefer the Filmation color's version or the Toy version huh?

So what about you?
    Before I go on, I'd just like to say how cool and interesting I find that color edit of Hordak there.

I have frequently seen people take the Hordak action figure and paint/customize it to look like the Filmation version, but I think this is the first time that I've seen someone take an image from the cartoon and color edit it to look more like the toy. The effect is rather nice, IMO.

As for my preference... I am torn. Both versions of Hordak generate special nostalgic feelings for me. There are things that I like about both versions. It's almost like I prefer one or the other depending upon the mood that I am in.

There is something interesting about the blue look from Filmation, but there's something almost more sinister and cunning in the look of the toy (and the look of the color edit that you did). It's really hard for me to completely decide on one or the other.

Having said all of that, I'd be interested in actually seening an episode of the cartoon (or even the entire SOTS movie) color edited for Hordak to look like he does above. I know that won't happen, at least not unless someone were to put the whole movie on their computer and edit the color frame by frame, which would take forever. None the less, I'd love to see it if there was a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    As for my preference... I am torn. Both versions of Hordak generate special nostalgic feelings for me. There are things that I like about both versions. It's almost like I prefer one or the other depending upon the mood that I am in.
    That's how I feel about it. I honestly liked whatever colors he had when I was watching the cartoon or playing with the figure. It's not like Evil-Lyn, whose figure always looked wrong to me.

Seeing these pictures together, I really like how those toy colors look, but I think that Hordak was probably better to have the blue because the rest of the Princess of Power characters were very brightly colored and it would have been perhaps too jarring to go from that to the toy's more sinister coloring. I also wouldn't change the original throne room colors! Even with the lowered contrast around his head, both versions of Hordak look better with the dark red throne.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    That's how I feel about it. I honestly liked whatever colors he had when I was watching the cartoon or playing with the figure. It's not like Evil-Lyn, whose figure always looked wrong to me.

Seeing these pictures together, I really like how those toy colors look, but I think that Hordak was probably better to have the blue because the rest of the Princess of Power characters were very brightly colored and it would have been perhaps too jarring to go from that to the toy's more sinister coloring. I also wouldn't change the original throne room colors! Even with the lowered contrast around his head, both versions of Hordak look better with the dark red throne.
    That makes sense actually. I agree. If Hordak was to be painted in gray shades he 'd be like a power ranger villain and that wouldn't look good! (I hate power rangers!)
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A.Einstein

Heroic Warrior
    I think on Mattel coloured Filmation Hordak, the bones on his collar etc should be left the same colour as his belt - it might help him to 'pop out' a little more, and wouldn't be a big departure from the toy colour scheme. Here's a very rough edit:

Although I'd make the colour of the belt/bones the same as the colour of Hordak's face (like J-Sun did with the belt), just to integrate it a little better. Plus, giving him the red cape the toy had might also help give some zing to the mattel coloured Hordak.

EDIT: Looking back, much like the way the Cimmerian did it on the Earl Norem poster manip.
    Last edited by coinilius; February 19, 2007 at 01:48am.

Quote Originally Posted by coinilius View Post
    I think on Mattel coloured Filmation Hordak, the bones on his collar etc should be left the same colour as his belt - it might help him to 'pop out' a little more, and wouldn't be a big departure from the toy colour scheme. Here's a very rough edit:

Although I'd make the colour of the belt/bones the same as the colour of Hordak's face (like J-Sun did with the belt), just to integrate it a little better. Plus, giving him the red cape the toy had might also help give some zing to the mattel coloured Hordak.

EDIT: Looking back, much like the way the Cimmerian did it on the Earl Norem poster manip.
    Good editing but I STILL don't like THAT grey guy! Personal views cannot be changed easily...! :-)
    Socrates

A.Einstein

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!

Looking at the pics, I think I prefer the MATTEL version. He looks darker. Meaner. Evil-er.

Filmation style with MATTEL's color schematics? Who knew?
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I really prefer the toy colors. The blue makes him look far too colorful and a bit too much like skeletor. I understand the reasoning in adding color to characters. They needed to make the designs stick out more to compensate for the crude animation, but for general design purposes I prefer simple stripped down color schemes. I think the biggest strength for the toy is that it had a far more interesting looking face than the Filmation version.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Many probably feel like the Filmation look is too colorful and not threatening enough, but I'm so tired of the same old black and red combo on villains that I find Hordak's look refreshing. Besides, Skeletor is blue and purple and yellow for pity's sake...but it's his demeanor that really drives the point home that he's a threat. The same goes for Hordak. The Mattel look just muddies him up...

...although that kind of works in the context of the toyline. I could see the Mattel Hordak living in the Mattel Fright Zone of dirt and trees and bones and whatnot. But a spiffy boss man like the Filmation Hordak? Hardly.

I've gotta admit that for some reason I never really liked the toy. Oh I had him, I needed to have him, and the concept of him is a great vilian.

I guess it's just that head. I hate that freaking head.

But at least I liked the She-Ra cartoon at the time (and love it now). So Filmation Hordak is still "My" Hordak.

And since we now have teh 200x sorcery Hordak, I've decided that is "Horde Supreme/Prime" and the blue tech/science Filmation Hordak is "Hordak", so both exist to me now.

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    could just be the difference between pre-eternia and etheria where due to the different sun the colours look different, or the advances in hordaks mastery over technomagic
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I'm not sure I can really vote either on this one.
    I know this will be blasphemy to some, but I just never really took to Hordak or his gang (afraid I'm always been stuck in the wonderful early barbarian mythos). The toy always felt to be kinda lacking something, but then again, with the 'toon, I just kinda associate it with the period when the Filmation take had become so young-child-friendly and too comedy orientated.
    I'm sure Hordak can be cool if done right, but I'm kinda between camps on these two options.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I really wanted the filmation Hordak but the Mattel 1 is OK I guess cause I really don't want to buy another 1 unless its in the sub which is fine.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I like Mattels Version. But I love the Filmation version more.

I prefer the more vampiric Mattel version. I really enjoy the posts throughout the thread comparing the same picture of Hordak with both color schemes; it really confirms it for me personally.

There are aspects of his character in Filmation that I absolutely hate about Hordak, but design-wise his Filmation appearance is one of those rare "I like the cartoon better than the toy" situations. I like the toy head, and especially the 2002 Hordak head, but color scheme and chest armor-wise, I like Filmation better.

Widget
    I prefer filmation hordak!! Id almost always pick the filmation of any mattel she ra character, although I wayyyy prefer mattels sweetbee!!