View Poll Results: Filmation Hordak or Mattel Hordak ?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mattel Hordak

    106 51.71%
  • Filmation Hordak

    99 48.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 97

Thread: Mattel Hordak vs Filmation Hordak which one do you prefer?

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New Fun City
    Posts
    5,000
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cimmerian View Post
    ...a quick manip I did on the Earl Norem poster. thing is they kind of altered hordak's head so you can't completely redo the toy colouring without redrawing the head. the blue doesn't look terrible at all IMO I just prefer the toy colours myself. as a note this is one of my FAVOURITE posters!
    The blue definitely looks good.

    Indeed, despite my preference for the Gray Colors, this is one of my favorite posters as well!

  2. #27
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,291
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post
    Sure Mike, why not? Thanks for the invitation. I do insist that Filmation's depiction of all characters was better. Hordak was scary (in a far-fetched way) in the toyline and if this was to be out in the cartoon then most children would see nightmares after watching the cartoon. We should take the psyhological-educational factor when it comes to children too. This is why these cartoons were the best because they had a psychological/educational consultant (along with other things...). So, as I was saying, I vote for Filmation's Hordak.
    Great thanks and I hope to read your opinion there. Everypoint of view is welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    I vote for Filmation colors hordak, tho I REALLY like them both! In fact, Mike, I think you should do MORE of these Photoshop manips with toy colors.
    You know my friend I think I will, sounds like fun, we can have a great time with stuff like this.

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Sun View Post
    Mattel Hordak all the way.


    You are evidently biased and I feel your depiction of a Mattel colored Hordak is misleading, Mike.
    Indeed the image of the blue skinned Hordak definitely looks better IMO.
    But it is likely the animators/art directors would have selected a different throne color if Hordak's coloration were different. Consequently, he would stand out more.






    Hmmmm the throne room does make a difference dude. This is tough for me lol, I love the toy,I find it awesome and his colors look great and right to the character but (and that's a weird but) toon Hordak for some reason interests me the most.
    Can the colors make such a difference? Really?

  3. #28
    Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I was playing with photoshop tonight with a screen cap of Hordak from the toon so I decided to color him the "right" way which means the toy way just to see how he would have looked like if colored like the toy. He looks interesting.

    So I want to ask you which Hordak do you prefer the Filmation color's version or the Toy version huh?



    As much as I love the figure I prefer the character in the toon colors for some reason. I think the blue makes the character standout more.

    So what about you?
    Before I go on, I'd just like to say how cool and interesting I find that color edit of Hordak there.

    I have frequently seen people take the Hordak action figure and paint/customize it to look like the Filmation version, but I think this is the first time that I've seen someone take an image from the cartoon and color edit it to look more like the toy. The effect is rather nice, IMO.



    As for my preference... I am torn. Both versions of Hordak generate special nostalgic feelings for me. There are things that I like about both versions. It's almost like I prefer one or the other depending upon the mood that I am in.

    There is something interesting about the blue look from Filmation, but there's something almost more sinister and cunning in the look of the toy (and the look of the color edit that you did). It's really hard for me to completely decide on one or the other.


    Having said all of that, I'd be interested in actually seening an episode of the cartoon (or even the entire SOTS movie) color edited for Hordak to look like he does above. I know that won't happen, at least not unless someone were to put the whole movie on their computer and edit the color frame by frame, which would take forever. None the less, I'd love to see it if there was a way.
    ____________________________________________

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    8,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    As for my preference... I am torn. Both versions of Hordak generate special nostalgic feelings for me. There are things that I like about both versions. It's almost like I prefer one or the other depending upon the mood that I am in.
    That's how I feel about it. I honestly liked whatever colors he had when I was watching the cartoon or playing with the figure. It's not like Evil-Lyn, whose figure always looked wrong to me.

    Seeing these pictures together, I really like how those toy colors look, but I think that Hordak was probably better to have the blue because the rest of the Princess of Power characters were very brightly colored and it would have been perhaps too jarring to go from that to the toy's more sinister coloring. I also wouldn't change the original throne room colors! Even with the lowered contrast around his head, both versions of Hordak look better with the dark red throne.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior mermaidliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    That's how I feel about it. I honestly liked whatever colors he had when I was watching the cartoon or playing with the figure. It's not like Evil-Lyn, whose figure always looked wrong to me.

    Seeing these pictures together, I really like how those toy colors look, but I think that Hordak was probably better to have the blue because the rest of the Princess of Power characters were very brightly colored and it would have been perhaps too jarring to go from that to the toy's more sinister coloring. I also wouldn't change the original throne room colors! Even with the lowered contrast around his head, both versions of Hordak look better with the dark red throne.
    That makes sense actually. I agree. If Hordak was to be painted in gray shades he 'd be like a power ranger villain and that wouldn't look good! (I hate power rangers!)
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

  6. #31
    That Marvelous SOB sonofblaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Posts
    6,645
    I have to say I perfer Filamtion colors. I LOVE my Hordak figure, but when it comes to looks, I'm just endeared to the blue. And I'm also one of the types who perfers the filmation personality too. Mini-comics Hordak WAS cool. But edging out over the dark stuff is my preferance to a good, innocent, enjoyable show (Which is probably why I wasn't that much into MYP, because they darkened it up and added alot of drama to make it 'mature')

    And on the subject, while I admit he's kinda neat looking, I don't care much for MYP Hordak at all. Feels a bit too generic "I'm the dark, evil scary guy who will come after you with my dark, jagged armor! BWAHAHAHA!!! FEAR ME!", kinda like how they totally screwed up Marzo, but that's a different disscussion all together.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    586
    I think on Mattel coloured Filmation Hordak, the bones on his collar etc should be left the same colour as his belt - it might help him to 'pop out' a little more, and wouldn't be a big departure from the toy colour scheme. Here's a very rough edit:



    Although I'd make the colour of the belt/bones the same as the colour of Hordak's face (like J-Sun did with the belt), just to integrate it a little better. Plus, giving him the red cape the toy had might also help give some zing to the mattel coloured Hordak.

    EDIT: Looking back, much like the way the Cimmerian did it on the Earl Norem poster manip.
    Last edited by coinilius; February 19, 2007 at 01:48am.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior mermaidliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by coinilius View Post
    I think on Mattel coloured Filmation Hordak, the bones on his collar etc should be left the same colour as his belt - it might help him to 'pop out' a little more, and wouldn't be a big departure from the toy colour scheme. Here's a very rough edit:



    Although I'd make the colour of the belt/bones the same as the colour of Hordak's face (like J-Sun did with the belt), just to integrate it a little better. Plus, giving him the red cape the toy had might also help give some zing to the mattel coloured Hordak.

    EDIT: Looking back, much like the way the Cimmerian did it on the Earl Norem poster manip.
    Good editing but I STILL don't like THAT grey guy! Personal views cannot be changed easily...! :-)
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

  9. #34
    Heroic Warrior Canadian_He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post
    Good editing but I STILL don't like THAT grey guy! Personal views cannot be changed easily...! :-)
    He almost looks like a ghost there. Like something out of Skeletor's nightmares!
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

  10. #35
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,291


    How about another character like Catra? Even though she doesn't look exactly like the figure I tried to place her original colors in the pic.
    I don't know about you but I beleive that in most cases Filmation improved Mattel's toy designs alot, not all of them but most of them and Catra for me is one of them.

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior Canadian_He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post


    How about another character like Catra? Even though she doesn't look exactly like the figure I tried to place her original colors in the pic.
    I don't know about you but I beleive that in most cases Filmation improved Mattel's toy designs alot, not all of them but most of them and Catra for me is one of them.
    I definitely perfer Filmation Catra, though it is neat to see what characters like Hordak and Catra would look like if they were based *very tightly* on their mattel colours.

    Also, the Horde would look kind of dull with *both* Hordak and Catra being that, well, gray.

    I do perfer Catra with black hair, though.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

  12. #37
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    I do perfer Catra with black hair, though.
    Yeah me too, they should've kept her hair black.

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior mermaidliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Posts
    1,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post


    How about another character like Catra? Even though she doesn't look exactly like the figure I tried to place her original colors in the pic.
    I don't know about you but I beleive that in most cases Filmation improved Mattel's toy designs alot, not all of them but most of them and Catra for me is one of them.
    Definately Filmation Catra! I like her best. As for the hair, I m not so sure I prefer her with the black hair. She looks eccentric with blue hair... And tha haid is probably to match the colour of ther skin as a panther.
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior ben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    100
    I like the Mattel colors. Skeletor is the blue one for me. I always liked that the colors for skelly and Hordak was completely different.

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    8,311
    Canadian_He-Man, I don't think those are the colors they'd have picked for Catra even if they were trying to be more faithful to the toy's color scheme. Also, I think they'd have made the mask red as it was colored in a lot of the books that retained the rest of the toy's colors and not those used by Filmation. I also usually saw her in a purple cape, not a gray one, so I think that color would stayed as well.

    I personally do prefer the toy's colors. Black, red, and silver fit better with the Horde and also makes her seem more like a main villain and not just a flunky.

    Last edited by gbagok; February 20, 2007 at 06:48pm.

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    586
    Good editing but I STILL don't like THAT grey guy! Personal views cannot be changed easily...! :-)
    Well, since I wasn't out to change anyone's personal views, that's not a problem

    As for Catra, I think the grey mask (on the mattel coloured one) looks better than the red-one - the red seems too out of place, IMO.

  17. #42
    Honorable Wizard Loo-Kee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    928

    Yup

    Seeing the Mattel colors, makes her looks more evil, I think it's the gray color. Plus the red is hard on teh eyes, well, seeing them next to ech other like that. But as some of you know, I do love catra. I would have also liked her to have had black hair instead of the blue in the cartoon.

    ~Loo-Kee

  18. #43
    POP and Customs Lover! heftysmurf76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Castle, DE
    Posts
    7,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I love it Mike!!!

    MORE MORE MORE!!!
    How about another character like Catra? Even though she doesn't look exactly like the figure I tried to place her original colors in the pic.
    I don't know about you but I beleive that in most cases Filmation improved Mattel's toy designs alot, not all of them but most of them and Catra for me is one of them.
    I think the way you handled her cape, etc is perfect actually! after all, her cape was silver on the shower power version!

  19. #44
    Heroic Warrior Canadian_He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Canadian_He-Man, I don't think those are the colors they'd have picked for Catra even if they were trying to be more faithful to the toy's color scheme. Also, I think they'd have made the mask red as it was colored in a lot of the books that retained the rest of the toy's colors and not those used by Filmation. I also usually saw her in a purple cape, not a gray one, so I think that color would stayed as well.

    I personally do prefer the toy's colors. Black, red, and silver fit better with the Horde and also makes her seem more like a main villain and not just a flunky.

    That does admittably look nice, gbagok.

    The slight added touches of color here does make grayish Catra far less drab, and actually adds a sense of regal importance to her.

    However, red is my favourite color, so...
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

  20. #45
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by heftysmurf76 View Post
    her cape was silver on the shower power version!
    A bit of-topic, but in terms of toy Catra, I've always thought a mixture of the three versions was the best - the cat mask from the original Catra, the body of scratchin'sound Catra and the cape, skirt and cat sword of Shower Power Catra

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior He-bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,068
    Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I like the Mattel colors. Skeletor is the blue one for me. I always liked that the colors for Skelly and Hordak was completely different.
    I agree 100%, to the untrained eye someone might think that Skeley and Hordak are one in the same, if they both had blue.

    (Some of my friends still mix them up even though one is in gray, they think they are both Skeletor)

  22. #47
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,291
    I wonder why Filmation decided not to include the cape.
    Hordak with the cape would have had more presence.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

  23. #48
    Winning Skeletor Wacky Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I wonder why Filmation decided not to include the cape.
    Hordak with the cape would have had more presence.
    Easier to animate him capeless, I imagine...

    Although, having said that...they gave Catra a cape...

  24. #49
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,291
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacky Martin View Post
    Easier to animate him capeless, I imagine...

    Although, having said that...they gave Catra a cape...

    Yeah, and She-RA has a cape too. So why not one for Hordak?
    Isn't that unfair?!
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

  25. #50
    The Great Eternal! GrtEternal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Posts
    9,564


    Looking at the pics, I think I prefer the MATTEL version. He looks darker. Meaner. Evil-er.

    Filmation style with MATTEL's color schematics? Who knew?
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

    *****************************

    "Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

    *****************************

    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •