View Poll Results: Which is your favourite "version / era" of MOTU?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • The (very) early mini-comics

37 28.68%
  • The second wave / pre-Filmation mini-comics

16 12.40%
  • The Filmation era

62 48.06%
  • The later mini-comics (and Star / Marvel comics, etc.)

12 9.30%
  • The New Adventures

2 1.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite "version / era" of MOTU

the earliest stage is the best. i love that skeley was form another world and was evil too evil. that was the best. the dc comics mini series was great too.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I don't neccesarily agree. I think the early wandering barbarian scenario was very very interesting. As I've said before, I loved how the planet had come out of a great war, wiping out advanced civilizations but leaving behind amazing machinery and weapons. And there were so many different creatures. I think there was a lot more variety to it than say, Conan.
    No but it's definetly the exact same as Thundarr! That was post war/apololyptic too!

I don't neccesarily agree. I think the early I really like Prince Adam, especially in the Filmation incarnation, but at the same time I do feel that it made it a little too "happy families" at time, losing some of the early edginess.
    Well that's why I like the second lot of mini comics and the DC ones. They had the Adam thing and yet kept that gritty edgey side! The franchise had more of an identity I think.
    Then came filmation and neutered the whole thing and we never gotten that awesome period back!

When the we first saw the 4HM designs and them wanting to go back to the roots, I excitment was something esle. Then we got the toon and although lighter, it was certainly not as devistating as the Alcala to Filmation transition.

Edit: This has put me thinking. I was under the impression that it was DC who gave us Prince Adam and then Filmation develpoped that further. Why do folks say Filmation gave us Prince Adam first?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I don't neccesarily agree. I think the early wandering barbarian scenario was very very interesting. As I've said before, I loved how the planet had come out of a great war, wiping out advanced civilizations but leaving behind amazing machinery and weapons. And there were so many different creatures. I think there was a lot more variety to it than say, Conan.
    I really like Prince Adam, especially in the Filmation incarnation, but at the same time I do feel that it made it a little too "happy families" at time, losing some of the early edginess.
    Well the wandering barbarian aspect was fun, but still too Conan, I feel that without the Adam thing it would have been passed off as a conan clone and we wouldn't be here today with stactions and the like. Filmation did give some wandering barbarian aspects to he-man as well, or at least globe trotting barbarian, again that's what I loved about filmation most of all is the sense of vastness of Eternia, they visited so many different cultures and ruins and such. very cool stuff. they managed to make Grayskull extremely important but not the focus of every episode, in fact some of the best episodes have nothing to do with grayskull, but grayskull is never diminished by that.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I think it's interesting to see that so many have gone for Filmation, and many who say this is the only version they are really familiar with.

In a way it is slightly disappointing - I urge you, no, order you ...to try and check out some of the early and alternative versions, I think you'll be pleasently surprised; Especially if you take it for it's own merit and not compare it too much with the Filmation version.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Was the Transformer toon seen as the definitive Transformers?

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    Yeah but that would make MOTU just another Conan, Beastmaster or more specifically Thundarr the Barbarian.

I'm totally on board with the darker barbarian vibe but the Adam thing does make it stand out from the rest.

I dare say that had MOTU not had the He-man to Adam dynamic, the MOTU would've just another short lived sword and sorcerery property.

Lets not forget that He-man as a wandering Barbarian was sooooo in the early conceptions that I often fell it ain't worth talking about.

I don't hate the fimation era, but I do not like the DC ones (sorry) they are just too mixed up between the 2 worlds we know most, the mini comics and the cartoon.

I think the cartoon should be colorful and campy, but I still love the first ones the best and the ones right afterward, like the trapjaw, triclops, ram-man, man-e-faces one, and those like that.

Pretty Handsome Awkward motubot's Avatar
    Filmation era was best, but I also like the older mini comics .

No but it's definetly the exact same as Thundarr! That was post war/apololyptic too!
    Actually, in fairness, it was rather the same. Although I'm one of the many that didn't discover Thundarr until many years after, as it never received much coverage here in the U.K.
    But even so, I think the early MOTU had enough individually to carry it.

Well that's why I like the second lot of mini comics and the DC ones. They had the Adam thing and yet kept that gritty edgey side! The franchise had more of an identity I think.
    Then came filmation and neutered the whole thing and we never gotten that awesome period back!
    I agree. I didn't mind the early DC Prince Adam-featured stories at all, they were done really well, and as you say, quite "gritty". Filmation made it a little too friendly and happy families.

When the we first saw the 4HM designs and them wanting to go back to the roots, I excitment was something esle. Then we got the toon and although lighter, it was certainly not as devistating as the Alcala to Filmation transition.
    I was really excited by this too. They seemed to be going very much back to the roots, lightly incorporating some of the (better) later concepts. Then "the powers that be" didn't like it and tampered with it all. What we got was good, but it could have been great!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    The comics were good, but the filmation era kept everything real and by far is the best era of motu and pop. If filmation had followed the trend set by the mini comics, the cartoons wouldn't have been as good and I wouldn't have been their number 1 fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Cat View Post
    The comics were good, but the filmation era kept everything real and by far is the best era of motu and pop.
    Hmmm, it's interesting you say "kept everything real", considering some of the far fetched and often very illogical things that Filmation offered up sometimes. I'm talking some of the frankly bizarre plot twists, the very cartoon-y approach, and He-Man's many silly feats (cutting a hole in the desert floor to trap a storm down, turning into a tornado, making glass out of sand with his hands, running around a lake to create a vacuum to suck the water out... so many). I think it's easy to look at Filmation's best days (and yes, there were some truly classic episodes) and over-look some of the far weaker elements.

Also interesting to note that no-one has yet gone for 'The New Adventures'. Okay, maybe slightly biased as it's on the classic forum, but even so I thought a couple might have at least. (Not that I mind, I really dislike NA!).

Oh, and I just passed my 600th post. Like, woo-hoo and stuff.
    ~jay firestorm~

Gotta go with Filmation followed by the mini-comics.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Another "grew up with Filmation" here.

Although I wish I had held onto the mini-comics that came with the action figures.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Castle Grayskull
    Filmation here. I only know one version and that's the lou scheimer and the rest of the gang version.

So, Filmation all the way !

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Grayskull View Post
    Filmation here. I only know one version and that's the lou scheimer and the rest of the gang version.

So, Filmation all the way !
    Then I urge you to try and get hold of some of the early mini-comics and other earlier material. It will really round out the world of MOTU for you (and maybe even show that, classic as the Filmation version was, there were a few flaws and missed opportunities).
    ~jay firestorm~

Castle Grayskull
    Thanks. Will check it out, if i can find it.

Heroic Warrior
    Gotta go with the "very" early mini comics. Although the Filmation was VERY close.

When I think of He-man I always find myself drawn back the original concept. The vest gave him his strength, the two swords to control Grayskull, etc.

I LOVED the Filmation, but when I actually played... People could steal his vest and gain his powers, and then he had to GET IT BACK

Absolutely Filmation!! And than the NA era!

I'm a little bit old and I discovered Motu through toys. No cartoon yet at the time.
    So I say the early mini-comics.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i liked the older mini comics. as my choice.

I love the Filmation Era, I grew up with that era and I loved every minute of it!!!!

When push comes to shove, then i say Filmation but i'm more inclined to say i like a mix as each era has something to offer. Plus, i'm finding out new things about characters etc... both old and new.

Heroic Warrior
    Early mini-comics, hands down.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Im torn between NA and Early minis.....but checked off NA
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

Well I grew up with The New Adventures and TMNT, but discovered Filmation much later and was mesmerized by its look, design and feel. Terrific, very primal and old school dark fantasy. So, "my" He Man, as if the one I grew up on, was the NA, but my favorite is the Filmation

I pick the later mini-comics era.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...