View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Rio Blast figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

2 2.22%
  • 2 points

1 1.11%
  • 3 points

1 1.11%
  • 4 points

1 1.11%
  • 5 points

11 12.22%
  • 6 points

4 4.44%
  • 7 points

15 16.67%
  • 8 points

17 18.89%
  • 9 points

14 15.56%
  • 10 points

24 26.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio Blast vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Rio Blast vintage figure review thread

Here we go with another vintage figure review thread, and this week it's the turn on RIO BLAST.

I didn't actually have a Rio Blast until relatively recent years. I didn't have him during the original run, and didn't pick one up until mid-way through my "seriously" collecting all things MOTU. It wasn't until later on that I got one complete.

Rio Blast is an interesting character. As I have mentioned on quite a few other threads, I wasn't too keen when later on the line started to become more spacey / robotic orientated. But what I like about Rio Blast is that he is more human based. And I think this helped to give him a lot more character than many of the later "gimmick" figures.

The character was dubbed "the fastest draw in the universe", and as with most MOTU characters, he had several varying origin stories.

Rio Blast is one of the trickier figures to hunt down complete on the second hand market; often some of the concealed guns, or his gun headset, are missing.

Rio Blast was released too late to appear in the Filmation cartoon series, which is a shame, because I think that he would have fitted in quite well.
    (However, in one episode of 'She-Ra: Princess of Power', there was a Horde member called Colonel Blast, whom some have speculated may have stemmed from an early prototype concept).

Things didn't progress on to featuring Rio Blast's wave of figures in the 200x revamp; it would have been interesting to see what had been done with him.

Although I wouldn't instantly point to Rio Blast as an all-time favourite, nor as a classic example of the toy-line, I like him enough to give him a reasonable 8 out of 10.

I'd like to hear your comments, thoughts, criticisms, memories, and all things Rio Blast-related.
    And whether you post your thoughts or not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 9, 2007 at 05:18pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The Rio Blast figure came out around Spring 1987 in the UK (I remember my brother being born then and seeing Rio in the shops) I was a bit puzzled at first, because he was a cowboy, but looking at the back of the card he looked more cooler and finding out he had all these guns.

I never owned a Rio Blast figure when it came out, instead opting for the Horde, Rock People and later on that year the Ssssnakemen.

However, I really liked his origin story in the UK MOTU comics - Rio being from a world called "Loredos"? and him fighting some evil force and his planet being destroyed and him being destroyed in the process, hence the cyborg look. I still think this origin suits Rio best.

I have a figure of him now and he's quite good and has a nice sculpt. I only wish the main gun in his chest shot some sort of projectile.

I really like the 4HM version of Rio too, can't wait to get it.

Figure Rating : 6/10

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    The Rio Blast figure came out around Spring 1987 in the UK (I remember my brother being born then and seeing Rio in the shops) I was a bit puzzled at first, because he was a cowboy, but looking at the back of the card he looked more cooler and finding out he had all these guns.

I never owned a Rio Blast figure when it came out, instead opting for the Horde, Rock People and later on that year the Ssssnakemen.

However, I really liked his origin story in the UK MOTU comics - Rio being from a world called "Loredos"? and him fighting some evil force and his planet being destroyed and him being destroyed in the process, hence the cyborg look. I still think this origin suits Rio best.

I have a figure of him now and he's quite good and has a nice sculpt. I only wish the main gun in his chest shot some sort of projectile.

I really like the 4HM version of Rio too, can't wait to get it.

Figure Rating : 6/10
    When he first came out, I always thought that Rio Blast looked like he belonged in another toyline, maybe Bravestarr or something, but over the years I've come to like him for his coolness.

One of Rio Blast's other origin stories was something along the lines of him being a farmer on an alien cowboy-like planet, where locust-like-alien-creatures kept wiping out his crop. After it had happened, he armed himself to the teeth with guns and saw them off.

Ohh, the Four Horsemen have a revamp of him? I must have missed that one. I'll go and look it up right now! It would have been great to have seen a full-working version, it would have had loads of projectiles (and lets face it, practically all of the 200x figures had projectiles! )
    Last edited by Spacedust; March 9, 2007 at 09:25pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I just recently obtained a complete loose Rio Blast. I like the figure's sculpt and his action feature. As far as my memories go, I seem to remember him best from the comics where he was teamed up against the Snakemen together with Snout Spout. 8/10

He was always one of my favorite figures, so I gave him a 10. I always liked the aspect of him being the Eternian law.

I always thought the only reason he was in the MOTU line was to try to get kids interested in the Bravestarr line. They could have done a 'toon croosover movie where they find out Rio is from New Texas and is an old friend of Marshal Bravestarr. It might have worked.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    He was always one of my favorite figures, so I gave him a 10. I always liked the aspect of him being the Eternian law.

I always thought the only reason he was in the MOTU line was to try to get kids interested in the Bravestarr line. They could have done a 'toon croosover movie where they find out Rio is from New Texas and is an old friend of Marshal Bravestarr. It might have worked.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who detected Bravestarr influences.
    I never really got into that line first time around, I think I might have to pick up the DVDs and check it out.
    ~jay firestorm~

I LOVED THIS FIGURE!

LOTS of people hate him and I don't understand why...

He has one of the coolest action features, and one of the coolest designs... yes, he's based on a sherrif... and perhaps he was the inspiration for Bravestarr, but I liked it.

I used him as Eternia's sherrif - a head of the police... not of the palace guard, but as a police man of the people. He was one of the few characters who could have passed as a regular Eternian...

I loved the guns - so cool.. and so few figures like that.

Again, he was part of the later waves of figures, and that associated him with the Eternia playset, so that was a plus. He was definitely a defender of that playset in my eternia!

9 out of ten!
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Yeah I feel alot of hate toward him sometimes, but it seems alot of folks like him (so far) on the thread.

I had him as a kid and remember I thought he was pretty cool with all his flip out guns and stuff. Today, he was one of the last figures I needed to have all the figures loose (And I still need his leg guns and backpack). I was excited about getting him. He's a great original sculpt with fun features and I always liked his comic as a kid. I'll give him an 8.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Regarding there being some hate towards the figure (although seemingly not reflected in this thread), I actually never really cared for the figure; he came from later in the line where it had rather sold out it's roots to any gimmicky character going. But in more recent times, I've rather come to re-asses old Blasty. He is a good design, good sculpt, and seems to at least have some character. Some figures from the period (ahem*Snout Spout*ahem) I still really don't like, but ol' Rio's not bad. If he was from the first two or three waves, he would have fitted right in, and I think he might have been in the league of a minor classic.
    ~jay firestorm~

I allways liked Rio blast as well no evil warrior, could stand up against Rio blasts entire arsenal of lazers. and as bcrduke had mentioned, I allso inmagined him as as a police officer. Rio blast is a tough heroic warrior, that had a huge advantage with his arsenal of lazer guns. and the evil warriors had to find uniqe ways of defeating him. like a new magical weapon, or be sent into a trap. I allso used Rio blasts head gear lazers, acted and doubled up as binoculars. and he could pick off targets at great distances. Another faveret of mine. and I give Rio blast a big 10, alltho I would not wanted any kind of projectile on him. would have made him goofy, I hate all these projectile toys there makeing now. there so weak and don't pack a punch. at all what ever happened to a good inmagination you don't need a weak spring loaded missile for that.

TOTALLY - I forgot about using his visor/gun cannon as binoculars! that was another cool invented feature
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

i like this figure. not as a kid. but i recently won a huge lot of figures and he was in it. man when i tell you mint with all his weapons. i lucked out on this figure. hes a cool figure to own complete. but i woulnt think incomplete with all the holes.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    i like this figure. not as a kid. but i recently won a huge lot of figures and he was in it. man when i tell you mint with all his weapons. i lucked out on this figure. hes a cool figure to own complete. but i woulnt think incomplete with all the holes.
    Yeah, some of the figures are still quite fun "nude", but with Rio, own him complete or not at all!!
    ~jay firestorm~

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Yeah, some of the figures are still quite fun "nude", but with Rio, own him complete or not at all!!
    you said nude.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    you said nude.
    Huh huh, huh huh.
    ~jay firestorm~

one of my fave figs ever as a kid
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    Yeah I feel alot of hate toward him sometimes, but it seems alot of folks like him (so far) on the thread.

I had him as a kid and remember I thought he was pretty cool with all his flip out guns and stuff. Today, he was one of the last figures I needed to have all the figures loose (And I still need his leg guns and backpack). I was excited about getting him. He's a great original sculpt with fun features and I always liked his comic as a kid. I'll give him an 8.
    sob, why do you feel a lot of hate toward him sometimes, if it sounds like your memory shows you really liked him as a kid?
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Back then this was one of the coolest things to ever land in my hands, next to Mosquitor he had the best action feature. Nowadays I don't think it fits in the motu world, but when I was a kid he could have been a clown for all I cared, with all those weapons nobody would mess with him. Gave it a 7.
    My website (currently under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    sob, why do you feel a lot of hate toward him sometimes, if it sounds like your memory shows you really liked him as a kid?
    I wasn't aware I ever showed any hate. I like him alot. I wish I had his leg guns and backpack.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    I wasn't aware I ever showed any hate. I like him alot. I wish I had his leg guns and backpack.
    Oh wait...when you said "I feel a lot of hate toward him sometimes", I thought you meant you yourself actively feel a lot of hate toward him. Now that I read your reply, I see you mean you feel from others a lot of hate toward him. Gotcha. Misinterpretation. lol
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Oh wait...when you said "I feel a lot of hate toward him sometimes", I thought you meant you yourself actively feel a lot of hate toward him. Now that I read your reply, I see you mean you feel from others a lot of hate toward him. Gotcha. Misinterpretation. lol
    I misinterpreted it the exact same way. His post made no sense to me at all, haha.

As far as figures go, it's not a bad figure, but I have never liked the character. I preferred the sword and sorcery aspect of MOTU and some characters strayed too far from it IMO.

I always felt that he didn't really fit in well with the line, which is also why I never liked Ninjor.

A cool figure. His laser pack was the best. I always pretended it was a jet pack, like Boba Fett! I'm so glad they never gave him a cowboy hat.. lol... I think the staction was a good evolution of this design.

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    Rio Blast was a cool figure. The only thing i do not like about him is that his hands are enormous (to accomodate the guns of course).
    Follow me on Instagram @retrotoypile

https://www.instagram.com/retrotoypile/

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    A cool figure. His laser pack was the best. I always pretended it was a jet pack, like Boba Fett! I'm so glad they never gave him a cowboy hat.. lol... I think the staction was a good evolution of this design.

That's wierd because my Rio does have a removable cowboy hat-- it's in a durango style, buckskin and dark brown, like his legs. I always thought it had come with him until I saw one MOC years ago. Now I don't know where it came from-- but Rio thinks it's dapper and won't give it up. I gave him a ten because I liked him-- I also thought he might have been from New Texas, or had some kind of story tie-in there. I just wish the Bravestarr figures were smaller...
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

I don't like this AF. Voted 5