View Poll Results: Transformers G1 or MOTU action figures

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • He-man MOTU

74 59.20%
  • Transformers G1

51 40.80%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The more popular toy - He-man or Transformers (G1)

Transformers did not thrill me at all as a child. I would watch the Go Bots here and there, and had a few of them, but Transformers I just couldn't get into. I didn't like robots. I liked things that transformed... but in the more magical sense like He-Man, She-Ra, Filmation's Ghostbusters and I was big into Dinosaurs. Inspector Gadget is the only thing I can remotely connect to a robot that I really enjoyed.

I found Transformers toys to be better to look at, but I found He-Man toys to be better to actually play with.

Fun beats out aesthetics for me, so I'm voting for He-Man!
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Although I am all for MotU and we are in a He-Man forum I have to admit that imo the Transformers were more popular than He-Man. Few people don't know the Transformers while when u mention He-Man or MotU they are like ...HUH? wot's that?
    And don't get me started with the She-Ra subject....
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

yeah a couple of years ago I got this you know you were a child of the 80s when...
    and one of the things was you kept hoping She-ra and He-man would get together.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    yeah a couple of years ago I got this you know you were a child of the 80s when...
    I certainly never wanted that...but I was brought up to believe that incest was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    I'm hoping that these are people who vaguely remember the characters, and hence forgot that they're twins.

OTOH, some of the POP episodes themselves weren't good at conveying the twins relationship. I was watching "A Talent For Trouble" with my sister Marsha. She chuckled loudly when He-Man said "Well, Orko doesn't meet a beautiful woman like you every day, sis".
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Doha, Qatar, Arabian Gulf ... clearly no where near the US of A ... in case you were curious... not suggesting at all that your geography skills are bad... I'm just saying... anywho...
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    OTOH, some of the POP episodes themselves weren't good at conveying the twins relationship. I was watching "A Talent For Trouble" with my sister Marsha. She chuckled loudly when He-Man said "Well, Orko doesn't meet a beautiful woman like you every day, sis".
    Yeeeeah. That's kinda creepy come to think of it.
    "Milk is for babies" - Arnold Schwarzenneger

yes most likely the originator(s) of the email only vaguely remember the whole thing, or didn't pay a heck of a lot of attention to the whole idea behind it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

far and away, as a kid, I enjoyed MOTU much more...Transformers broke too easy, and I seem to remember even then being too expensive for my parents to justify buying them for me.
    OVERALL popularity in the real world among the general population...I'm pretty sure T-Formers had a lot of staying power throught the 90's and to current (hence the summer blockbuster movie)..so they win that round.
    Nothing will EVER top MOTU in MY mind though.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

How can I change my vote? I put TF down b/c I originally read the poll as asking what the public thought was more popular.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    How can I change my vote? I put TF down b/c I originally read the poll as asking what the public thought was more popular.
    It wasn't about that????
    Whoops.... it seems like I should change my vote as well...
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by stevetor View Post
    far and away, as a kid, I enjoyed MOTU much more...Transformers broke too easy, and I seem to remember even then being too expensive for my parents to justify buying them for me.
    And with the quality of goods made today, even one does buy a TF, chances are it will break after the first time it is transformed

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    MOTU was always #1 for me and most children my age. I don't really remember Transformers being THAT popular back in the 80s, I mean it was popular, but MOTU was bigger (in the UK anyway).

I always bought MOTU throughout its UK release 83-88/89, and occasionally bought Transformers, I think I had about 7 TF toys and the big Metroplex playset, which my Dad insisted I had for one Xmas (I think he wanted it more than I did)

But definetly MOTU wins over TF, just because its not one dimensional and has many different layers to it.

For the general public, Transformers is probably more popular. It's been going almost nonstop since the 80s, had several different cartoons and a major motion picture.
    For me personally, I prefer MOTU. I watched Transformers and all back in the day, but I maybe had three or four of the toys tops. Transformers has never meant all that much to me. Except for a brief period a few years back I've never liked robots all that much.
    On the other hand, I had a ton of MOTU toys. Bunches of figures, Snake Mountain, Castle Greyskull, Panthor, Battle cat, all kinds of MOTU stuff. And I tuned into the cartoon regularly. MOTU holds the most nostalgia for me, and I'll always prefer it over Transformers.

i had more heman toys because it was something that i got first, transformers i got most of season 3 charachters, but then i pretty much only cared for the toons anyway
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Transformers easily. Better stories, better animation, better toys and better action. Not much can beat big hunking robots shooting each other up and the Earth along with it.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Back in the 80's I would say that MOTU was more popular between the two toylines. Currently Transformers has MOTU beat in popularity.

My personal opinion is that MOTU has better action figures than Transformers. I enjoy humans/monsters more than robots for action figures.

Concerning the overall franchises I would still pick MOTU. Swords and Sorcery have always appealed to me more than technology.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I hated Transformers as a kid. The characters were nothing but a bunch of walking cubes with a head stuck on top. Megatron didn't look anywhere near as cool as Skeletor or Shredder and of all the things he could transform into, he transformed into a freakin' GUN. Wow, so scary.. a gun. The theme sucked. The transformation sound got on my nerves and it made it sound like the robots were all rusted (I even called it "the rust sound" as a kid)....
    Optimus Prime was awesome tough. Big, tough, red and blue (my favorite colors)... Easily my favorite TF.

Out of the two franchises I preferred MOTU.

It was Beast Wars that first made me like TFs, and when the live action movie came out back in 2007 I became a big TF fan. I even went back and rewatched G1 that I so hated as a kid, and came to like many of it's characters.
    As time went on MOTU lost the edge. It was same old, same old over and over and over again. Transformers on the other hand had so many different styles, designs, stories... It was always new.

While I remain a MOTU collector even today, from a pure business stand point, Transformers has MOTU beat big time. TFs will always make something new and interesting, so I can enjoy it all over again. MOTU will always give us the same story over and over again with only a few different details here or there.

At this point MOTU is horribly stagnated.

Transformers wins.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

I liked transormers but many of them looked like crap - even as a kid I thought they were stupid looking. I only liked the guys that looked good in both modes. and the proportions had to be close to proper. MOTU was the best as a toyline the toys had such a great sculpt, sure as the line went on some newer guys looked poor and ram man in retrospecgt looked bad, but overall MOTU had a great quality in design. I never REALLY got into transformers, but I treasured my g1 jetfire! wish i still had it.

SLO-MAn I've found that Transformers rehases the same story obver and again, autobots decepticons come to earth optimus prime is leading the underdogs megatron leading the villains, they generally just change the time frame and the human characters. throw in a few variant details and call it new. MOTU only gave us two stories, and an attempt at somethign new with NA. for my money I'd prefer the same continuity evolving over rebooting every few seasons to essentially start all over again. the Anime One Piece is a good example of the way I like my properties to continue.

MOTU is stagnating from a storyline perspective because mattel isn't allowing any entertainment to come out, Transformers IMO is stagnating by design. no growth in the storyline just essentially the same as G1 every time but as I said with cosmetic differences, but hasbro has success with that. to be fair when they tried to evolve they lost their fanbase (Transformers the movie) but I think the problem was killing off Optimus and changing megatron, it was too much growth and too sudden.
    Last edited by krosfyah; July 3, 2010 at 06:36pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Toyfare magazine did a "battle royal" of the top 65 toylines of the time and oddly enough it came down to tf v motu and tfs won (it was about 60-40 if I remember) however I will say this motu had the honor of taking out my least fave spawn (YEA HE_MAN!!!!!)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

MOTU has been and probably always will be my favorite toy line. As a kid, I had He-man before I'd ever even learned about Transformers. When I did see Transformers I loved them but I still favored my he-man figs.

I also remember being dissapointed by the Transformers lack of articulation as a child. Sure you could have them stand back and shot and one another but it was hard to do hand to hand combat.

As an adult, I prefer the MOTU overall story better than any other line since.

I'm not going to argue which is better since I think that's a matter of subjectivity. It think it's fair to say that Transformers has been more successful than MOTU. I would have to say that I like Transformers more than MOTU. But I collect just about anything from the 80's.

Heroic Warrior
    G1 Transformers!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Masters of the Universe! More imagination, more muscles, more fun! Transformers may have had the better cartoon, but Masters of the Universe wins on so many levels. Now if you talk Meteorbs vs TF, then then I'll give in.

Most popular? MOTU was certainly more affordable. Transformers were more expensive, aimed at older kids, and they had a tendency to break more easily. I'm a fan of both, but while G1 TF had the better movie and comics, vintage MOTU was overall the better toyline.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Transformers did not thrill me at all as a child. I would watch the Go Bots here and there, and had a few of them, but Transformers I just couldn't get into. I didn't like robots. I liked things that transformed... but in the more magical sense like He-Man, She-Ra, Filmation's Ghostbusters and I was big into Dinosaurs. Inspector Gadget is the only thing I can remotely connect to a robot that I really enjoyed.
    You didn't like Artoo & Threepio from Star Wars?